Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Does anybody have any thoughts on the Dell P2421D for use as an office/2nd monitor while gaming?: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-24-monitor-p2421d/apd/210-avkx/monitors-monitor-accessories Dell has it on sale at £229 right now but I can get it on ebuyer for £210. I was prepared to spend about that much on a nice 1080p monitor so being able to step up to 1440p is a benefit.

I am eventually planning on building a new gaming PC and grabbing one of those 27" LG panels everybody loves to be the primary display, with this to use as a second monitor. Right now I'm using a pair of 24" 1920x1200 monitors I've borrowed from work, but I'm gonna have to give them back around the end of November and one has started developing a horrible flicker, so if this looks like a reasonable buy I'll just grab one now before my current screen starts giving me headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The monitor you linked is only 60hz, so a bit low for gaming. To my mind 1440p at 24" is iffy - it's more resolution than you need at that size, and will require some scaling for text to look normal, I would think.

Edit: Thinking of laptop screens I've used the 1440p at 24" might be manageable with scaling. That refresh rate is still pretty low and it seems on the spendy side for a 24" monitor, by what I'm used to in US prices, at least.

K8.0 posted:

It's reasonable, but if you have the desk space maybe you should look to see what a cheapish 27" 4k IPS costs for you. It may be worth it. If not, and you like the relatively high DPI of 24" 1440p, go for it.

Thanks both. 60Hz is fine, when I build my new PC I'll get on that good good 27" 1440p 144Hz train, for now my PC struggles to break 60fps in anything I'm playing. My current screens are 1920 x 1200 which seem to be almost extinct, and I was torn between dropping down to 1080p or up to 1440p.

I am a bit restricted for desk space, I'll do some measuring to see if I think I can fit two 27" monitors. If not 1440p @ 24" is still lower DPI than my laptop which I get along with fine.