Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

I assume this is one of those new Gsync certified monitors - 4k/144Hz/HDR IPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Yc5YD0kEc&t=138s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I have a pretty old NEC 2690WUXi2 26" 1080p monitor and would like to upgrade to 1440p/4K with Gsync but don't want to take a major step back in overall image quality. I no longer require the hardware calibration/12 bit LUT but appreciate the color reproduction and uniformity.

Has monitor technology progressed to the point where a current gaming panel like the X34 or CF791 is comparable to that old production/content creation panel in overall image quality?
I remember looking into monitors 5 years ago and all the high refresh rate screens were TN, had low contrast, terrible viewing angles or backlight bleed and blacks looked bright grey.

eames
May 9, 2009

DrDork posted:

Something like the X34--or any other gaming monitor--is never going to match a content-creation panel; they're simply aimed at different things. That said, the X34 et al are now IPS screens, vice the earlier TN's, so that does go a long way to helping with the bad viewing angles and poor colors. Low contrast is still an issue, but going off the specs of your old monitor an X34 should be no worse. You can find a review here that goes through some of the color/grayscale dEs, contrast tests, etc., and see if you think that's good enough for your use.

Thanks, I looked at the X34 and Asus P348Q in person. Image quality exceeded my expectations except for some backlight bleed/IPS glow from the corners. However I can't stomach the external aesthetic of either monitor in person, not even on an external stand. Perhaps one day they'll figure out that there aren't a lot of 12 year olds in the market for a $1200 monitor. (or I am wrong and people actually like the designs :shrug:)

I'm going to check out this soon to be released LG (http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UD99-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor) and the Samsung CF791 next.

eames
May 9, 2009

DrDork posted:

Something like the X34--or any other gaming monitor--is never going to match a content-creation panel; they're simply aimed at different things. That said, the X34 et al are now IPS screens, vice the earlier TN's, so that does go a long way to helping with the bad viewing angles and poor colors. Low contrast is still an issue, but going off the specs of your old monitor an X34 should be no worse. You can find a review here that goes through some of the color/grayscale dEs, contrast tests, etc., and see if you think that's good enough for your use.

Thanks. The more research I do the more it seems like now is a pretty bad time to buy a monitor. I currently have a GTX1060-6GB so I can either:

- buy a Freesync monitor now and lose any adaptive refresh rate technology until Nvidia is forced to support it with DP1.3 or AMD releases a compelling GPU worth upgrading to
or
- buy a GSync monitor with generally terrible quality control for the price and lock myself out of AMD GPUs

I'm tempted to buy a lower end 1440p/144Hz Gsync TN monitor (Dell S2716DG when it comes up on sale) as a secondary gaming-only monitor until the situation clears up.

eames
May 9, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Say what you will about the Asus 34" design, but if you use it with a monitor arm (the Ergotech Freedom HD supports its weight easily and is reasonably priced around $75), it looks normal.

Not on a free standing desk that doesn't face a wall or window.

eames
May 9, 2009

The Dell S2417DG recently saw a significant price drop in Europe, does anybody know why? Is there a successor on the way? Many shops have it listed at this price so it's not just one Amazon scammer bringing the price down.

370€ for a 24" 1440p 165Hz TN-Panel with G-Sync that doesn't look like a transformer toy seems like a reasonable deal, I'm thinking of getting one of these until 4k/144Hz becomes affordable.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames
May 9, 2009

Variable_H posted:

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Dell S2716DG after some research. I like the look of it, it sounds like the trade-offs for a TN panel vs IPS aren't anything that would bother me with the way my desk is set up, and it's available right now for $570 instead of having to wait for something else to come in stock on refurb. Not pulling the trigger yet, but probably will pretty soon.

I'm not sure if you'll be happy with a 1440p monitor and the PS4. You'll probably want to keep your 1080p monitor because the picture will look blurry when the monitor scales 1080p to 1440p.
An alternative would be a 4K screen and upgrading to a PS4 Pro but then you'd also have to upgrade your GPU. :can:

I ordered the smaller Dell S2417DG for the same reasons, it seems to be good value for what it offers, has the rare combination of Gsync/acceptable design and gamer IPS panels have their fair share of QC problems compared to the usual TN downsides.

eames
May 9, 2009

or you could cancel the dell order and reorder at amazon with a Spyder 5 Express for the same price :shrug:

eames
May 9, 2009

I received my S2417DG for my :pcgaming:-machine today and am pretty blown away by it. 60 -> 165 Hz is the monitor equivalent of moving from a HDD to an SSD boot drive, even for non-gaming tasks. Gsync is nice but high refresh rate much nicer.

My panel appears to be excellent with zero QC issues (zero dead/stuck pixels, no backlight bleeding, ghosting, clouding/uniformity issues, color banding or pixel inversion).
Gamma/color/contrast settings are really very bad out of the box but perfectly fine post-calibration. The only obvious downside is the rather low contrast (800:1).
I expected to ship this back but there's no way I could go back to my very old 27" 1080p/60Hz IPS (NEC 2690WuXi2) because the massive upgrade in smoothness far outweighs the downgrade in image quality. Actually the Dell is obviously better in terms of backlight bleed and "IPS glow".

Note that this is coming from a person who owns a 13" TN MBA and 15" IPS rMBP and thinks the MBA still looks acceptable compared to the IPS MBA. YMMV, i know many people here are deathly allergic to TN.

eames
May 9, 2009

Variable_H posted:

What are your calibration settings? I just got mine today also, but all the online guides for calibrating it want me to drop brightness down to like 18%, which makes the screen incredibly dim.

I tried a few calibration settings and settled with settings close to the tomshardware review.

Essentially it's the Custom preset with RGB 96/99/100, Brightness 34, Contrast 68 and gamma correction via the simple built in Windows screen calibration, which is about the same as setting 0.85 Gamma in the NVIDIA control panel. My old Spyder 3 colorimeter has degraded so may have to borrow one to verify those settings, just because I am curious.

34% screen brightness is ~120cd/m2 according to reviews which looks about right and comfortable to me.

If you want the screen to look like a new Samsung LED TV in Shop presentation mode, drop the Gamma to 0.60 and set Digital Vibrance to +70. There are detailed settings for this in the top rated Amazon user review for the S2417DG. I personally can't stand that look because it completely throws any notion of Color accuracy out the window but 700 people rated the Amazon review helpful and it's a gaming monitor after all. :shrug:

eames
May 9, 2009

Hardware calibrated my Dell S2417DG with a Spyder 5 and it looks truly fantastic now, easily on par with HFR IPS panels. One thing I've noticed in the process is that the gamma initially starts way low (avg -0,5 so around 1.7) when the monitor is cold, reaches avg 2.1 after 10 minutes and levels off at avg 2.2 (calibrated) about an hour later.
Perhaps this explains some of the complaints about extremely washed out colors "out of the box", because even without calibration the picture becomes significantly better as the panel warms up.

Calibrated to 6149K (native), 153.3 cd/m² (40%)
Measured black luminance: 0.2081 cd/m² :eyepop:
Contrast 853.9:1
Average Delta E*00 = 0.35
Maximum Delta E*00 = 0.95

The color accuracy is pretty excellent for a $350 1440p 165 Hz panel, although of course it's all a bit moot with TN gamma shift.
If anybody wants the full calibration result with gamma-, gray balance-, white point-curves and gamut just PM.

eames
May 9, 2009

Just to add another data point, I have a lowly 4C/4T Haswell 3.6 Ghz paired with an overclocked 1060-6GB @ 1440p/165 Hz.

Overwatch with medium-highish settings runs anywhere between 110-150 fps, Doom at Ultra around 80-90 fps, more GPU intensive games like the latest Tomb Raider run at Ultra around 50 fps and are still enjoyable thanks to G-sync.

eames
May 9, 2009

FaintlyQuaint posted:

So I'm kind of at a loss here and dunno where to even start asking, but I have an XB271HU that's giving me a really bizarre problem (or it might be my PC, I have no idea). So with G-sync off games seems to run fine. A little bit of tearing and whatnot. When I turn G-sync on for either windowed or full screen mode (or just full screen mode) my performance is instantly wrecked. Goes from 80-100fps+ in pretty much every game to less than half that. Running on an x99 6800k with a gtx 1080 and freshest drivers (reinstalled after removing the old ones with ddu). Fresh Windows install, as well. I've also swapped to a different display port cable, as well. Any ideas?

Edit: Looks like fullscreen mode for g-sync is working now?

Do you have Windows 10 Creators Update with the latest 38x.xx drivers installed? There's a regression that breaks G-sync and it is still not fixed in the latest drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/646u1m/windows_10_creators_update_potentially_breaking/

I simply never upgraded beyond my relatively old driver (378.66) after reading that newer versions break G-Sync.

eames
May 9, 2009

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Hey, thanks for this. I set my drivers back to the same as yours and it's working again.

Now to be on the lookout for new ones.

I wrote that from memory, turns out I'm running 378.78 so those are safe too. :shobon:

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW I bought the S2417DG two weeks ago because it was on sale and I liked the idea of 1440p/165Hz/Gsync, half expecting to send it back "because TN". :stare:

It was mediocre out of the box but far exceeded my expectations after hardware calibration. I've had two friends over and both thought it looks better than most current IPS gaming screens due to the deep blacks, complete lack of IPS glow and backlight bleed. One of them ordered one after seeing mine and is equally pleased. Both have zero dead or stuck pixels, no pixel inversion, backlight bleed or banding.
The only real downside is gamma shift from the viewing angle when leaning far back in chair, so I have to adjust the screen when I wouldn't have to with an IPS. On the other hand 24" is too small to notice any gamma shift when viewing the correctly adjusted screen head on. Oh, and it also takes almost an hour to warm up to the correct gamma curve.

IMO these Dell TNs are pretty underrated compared to high refresh IPS panels with horrific QC and that's ignoring the price.

calibration results (keep in mind this is a 1440p/165 Hz/1ms gaming panel.):

http://imgur.com/a/G5g87

As far as I'm concerned this is very good even for non-gaming standards. I run it side to side with a 15" rMBP and subjectively the Dell looks just as good for any task, just with lower contrast and a smaller gamut.

(Spyders seem to have a habit of reading contrast low because my old monitor (NEC 2690WUXI2) only reads 840:1 with it but >1000:1 with an i1Display Pro, so this is probably closer to ~800:1. Most reviews seem to confirm this.)

eames fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 26, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

A very nice thing about any 1440p/144Hz+/Gsync panel is that you can meaningfully use it with anything from a GTX970 to a GTX1080Ti/Volta.
G-sync helps a lot in the 45-60 fps range and 1440p/144Hz is about as many pixels per second as 4K/60Hz.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, once you're used to 144Hz it is very hard to go back to 60 Hz so the next upgrade is 4K/144Hz. Those monitors are only just being launched this fall at around $2000. By the time those are mainstream we'll hopefully start to see more mature OLED screens and that'll be a complete game changer because all current TN/IPS/VA panels look like trash in comparison.

eames
May 9, 2009

Based on the games I saw on the last 2-3 pages of your posting history I suspect ay you're better off with the single large screen. High refresh rates really only matter for fast games like Overwatch, Rocket League, etc. :)

eames
May 9, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

This is very true. I miss my high refresh monitors everyday.

That's the thing though, unless you've used a high refresh monitor you don't really know what you're missing and it doesn't bother you.
I used to play on a MBP with 25-30 fps average and 60 fps looked impossibly smooth to me, then I got a decent desktop with a 165 Hz panel and now whenever I glance over to the the frame counter thinking "this doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth as it should", it's around 70-80 FPS.

Obviously it's nice for everything - even scrolling webpages - but a player that mostly plays MMOs and RTS games and isn't used to 144Hz probably gets more out of the size and quality of a good ultrawide. Ideally he should get both (X34).
That being said I'm never ever buying another 60 Hz screen for any application ever again. :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

was it a refurbished unit?

eames
May 9, 2009

Pixel inversion is a known issue with the S2716DG and one of the main reasons I bought the S2417DG instead. That and some other minor issues like banding and the granularity of the AR coating.

This thread has all the info:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1577511/dell-s2716dg-1440-144-hz-g-sync-owners-thread

eames
May 9, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Interesting. I didn't know the 24" version was better off on this. I might just return it and try the Acer XB271HU even though it's a lot more expensive...

I will try swapping the cable around a bit and Paul MaudDib's other suggestions first though.

have you checked what revision your screen is? (label near the connectors, A00 to A04)

eames
May 9, 2009

B-Mac posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a color calibration tool? I don't do a ton of photo editing, thought my wife might start with the newborn in the house and her interest in picking up a DSLR for family stuff. I see they can range from $70 (Colormunki Smile) up to $220 (i1 Display Pro).

Whatever hardware device you buy, https://displaycal.net is great open source software for color calibration, for the most part much better than what comes bundled with the device. They also have active forums that may answer your question.

I bought an Eizo EX3 because it's identical to the Spyder5 but cheaper and without the software.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm using a S2417DG attached to a 1060-6GB via Displayport and the latest WHQL drivers. For some reason the Nvidia control panel only shows "GPU" scaling in the scaling options. AFAIK there should be a second "Monitor" option that allows the monitor to do the scaling but that's mysteriously missing. Could that have something to do with the fact that it's a Gsync monitor?

The picture looks/scales perfectly fine when I attach a Playstation 4 to the monitor via HDMI.

eames
May 9, 2009

dema posted:

My Acer XB271HU is growing on me. Glad I decided to keep it. Colors are acceptable with brightness down in the 40-50 range.

For non gaming use though, it still pales (haha) compared to the 30" it's replacing. I've got an old Sypder 3 colormeter in the garage somewhere. Might dig it out but I don't have confidence it would make a big difference.

Just be aware that older Spyder colorimeters have organic color filters which degrade over time. Chances are that your old Spyder 3 is a useless paperweight.

eames
May 9, 2009

Samsung CF791

eames
May 9, 2009

https://displaycal.net is the way to go.
I can't comment on the ColorMunki. I bought an Eizo EX3 (rebranded Spyder5) because it was cheaper, comes without software and there are some rumors that Datacolor is binning the most accurate devices for Eizo.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, this also bypasses the DRM used by colorimeter manufacturers to prevent you from borrowing the device to friends for calibration.

e: it's late here, I can't english :downs:

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't have any on-monitor adjustment for color (there is supposedly a "User" settings mode but it doesn't let me adjust colors). On the NVIDIA control panel colors tab I enabled the user mode and adjusted the blue channel, but anything I adjust will change the color of the backdrop (but not the square at the center that's being balanced) and then immediately undo as I release the mouse button, even if I apply the settings. Not sure how to proceed.

(Brightness is easy to balance if needed)

You're supposed to use the "Laptop" preset if your monitor's OSD doesn't offer any RBG adjustments, Displaycal will figure it out for you. Also set the mode to LCD (White LED).

Calibrating to a certain desired whitepoint (ie. 6500k) that's far from your display's native will cost you some contrast and you'll end up with a smaller gamut because it has to adjust your greens significantly.
For non-printing/general purpose/single monitor calibration I'd just leave it at the display's native white point to retain maximum contrast.

If calibration end ups with a picture that looks way too blue/cold — that's probably because your filters aged and degraded.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah absolutely. The left monitor is relatively warm, the right one is relatively cool. You'll want to calibrate them to what is generally accepted as a neutral whitepoint of D65/6500K or whatever your preference is.

The picture will always look a slightly different but the apparent yellow/blue tint will go away and colors will match much better than they do now.

eames
May 9, 2009

I thought CCFL displays only get dimmer with age?

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW my 1060 won't clock down to idle speeds at 165 Hz but it does at 144 Hz. I just set that for the desktop and then use the "use highest refresh rate" setting in the nvidia control panel to override it for games.

eames
May 9, 2009

Screen content will look smaller due to the higher PPI (same pixels, smaller screen). I got used to it in Windows and use 125% default zoom in Chrome to make websites look perfectly normal.
Other than that the 24" is fine, if the overclock.net megathread is to be believed it actually suffers from fewer issues than the 27" (i.e. pixel inversion, banding and artifacting). TN gamma shift is also less noticeable because the screen is smaller, so you're not viewing the edges at such extreme angles.

eames
May 9, 2009

von Braun posted:

I have a new G-sync monitor, it's good. But I don't know if I should disable V-sync in the nVidia control panel or in games and just use the G-Sync? I don't fully understand. I thought G-sync sorta replaced V-sync in a way.

In, let's say, Overwatch I exceed the 144fps mark. Are these things I should be messing with in regards to input lag or whatever? Or does it not matter.

Blurbusters has a great article on this but it's a long one.

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

TLDR: depends on your preferences.

1. Lowest input lag, lots of tearing: Gsync off, Vsync off, 300 FPS cap

2. Low input lag, very little tearing: Gsync on, Vsync off, FPS cap at refresh rate -3 (141 in your case).

3. Low input lag + 1ms, zero tearing ever: Gsync on, Nvidia Control Panel Vsync on, in-game Vsync off, FPS cap at refresh rate -3 (141 in your case).

I use the third variant in every game including Overwatch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 19, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd personally shop for 144Hz first and 4K/Gsync second. The fluidity of high refresh rates was quite a game changer to me, even when doing simple tasks like scrolling web pages.

Gsync is nice to have but works best when your GPU is struggling, so it is an ideal match for 4K monitors as no GPU can deliver a reliable 4K/144FPS yet. The easier your resolution/game is to drive the less useful Gsync becomes, i.e. if you only play Overwatch at 1080p with a GTX1070 or better then Gsync is a waste of money.

In your case you'll probably want to prioritise 4K IPS over all of the above.

eames
May 9, 2009

Deuce posted:

Remember when 60hz was gaming speed

console gamers don't

eames
May 9, 2009

Banding can get better/worse depending on the calibration and display settings.
I would not recommend using a Dell S2716DG or S2417DG without hardware calibration, none of the profiles available online will give you a decent result unless you are extremely lucky because the variance between panels is so high.
HW calibration fixes their messed up gamma curve, improves black levels and fixes color accuracy. The difference on my screen was massive but it is still no 1000:1 IPS.

eames
May 9, 2009

One idea would be to call up a local photo/camera shop and ask them if you can rent one of their low end color calibration devices for $10 or so. Then attach the device to your computer, download displaycal from displaycal.net (free open source software) and follow the instructions.

The software will create a profile that corrects/compensates any gamma and color issues with your panel.

High end models have this done at the factory but Dell clearly tried to save money by shortening or even skipping that process because it is a budget priced TN gaming monitor.
Mine started out with terrible color imbalance like yours and ended up being more color accurate than my 15" retina MacBook Pro after calibration, even better than my old professional grade NEC IPS.

All of that doesn't fix the low contrast but it will make colors pleasant to look at and restores good black levels, rather than the grey haze out of the box.
I believe I posted the results in this thread a few months ago.

eames
May 9, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Could you be more specific? I've been thinking of switching to 1440p and been wondering about the scaling.

Scaling does cause some strange side effects, even in games that should not be affected. There's an option to override this behavior for each .exe though.

I found that 1440p on a 24" works fine for me as long as I set Chrome's default zoom to 110%. My old screen was a 1080p 27" panel.
I'm used to smaller GUI elements from using macOS/iOS with scaling options that display more content on the screen so your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I guess you could buy two Volta Titans and SLI them next spring if money is no object.