Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
for 1440 high refresh IPS 27" with a USB hub the go to rec is the LG27GL850-B right? anything else to consider in that space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is this also the place to ask about TVs or is there a TV thread somewhere else on the forums?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thank you, goonsire

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

If you need a serial port I would instead look at a modern laptop with a USB to RS232 adaptor. What is your specific usecase?

there are definitely old pieces of RS232 industrial hardware that do not play nice with adaptors, and since OP is after a toughbook I think this might be the case. I would be moving heaven and earth to figure out a way to not buy a 1024x768 laptop, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

eighty-four merc posted:

Yeah, that’s what I’ve done w my current laptop. The use case is is machine controls (Rockwell etc). It isn’t strictly speaking necessary but I’ve lost my adapter before which is a PITA so it’s nice that it’s just there

just carry a couple on you, cram them in different bags, etc

this is honestly way better for you than buying a 1024x768 laptop

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

eighty-four merc posted:

I really don’t understand where this is coming from. If I’m overlooking something I’d like to know

Toyota, the company that wrote the book on “how to literally do anything”, used the Toughbook 31 with a 2nd gen i5 as the platform for its factory diagnostic tool til like a year ago. I’ve dropped one of those out of a vehicle at speed, and shared them with shops filled with guys who did much worse. The resolution never hurt my feelings. It was good at what I needed it to do when I needed it to do it and made me money

I’ve used ThinkPads and similar for automotive, construction, oil&gas, and industrial maintenance, and I always end up fighting something stupid, like dead keys, broken hinges, etc. Lot of work for not getting paid IMO

Really all I need from a laptop is to be able to look up phone numbers and addresses, send/receive emails to customers and vendors, read technical documentation, and run poo poo like RSLogix / CCW etc.

right and now Toyota doesn't use the Toughbook 31 anymore, and that's also on a proprietary single platform where they control everything. if you know for sure all the software you are going to need to use will run on the Toughbook, no problem. It's just not a guarantee by any means.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoughts on Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx? It seems to check a lot of the boxes for a decent gaming monitor, high refresh rate, IPS, etc. It's on sale for $300 at my local MicroCenter, which seems to be a good price. I like the built in USB hub.

I only am running a 1650 super but I tend to keep monitors for a really long time so I anticipate that I will get a bigger and better video card to drive this at some point in its lifetime.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

HDR in monitors that size is usually just okay because they can't pull off the contrast needed, and you probably wouldn't want it that close to your face anyway.

The LG 27GL83A is in the sale. It's a a great monitor, pretty much the default pick in the thread here. Rtings gave it a 6.9 for HDR, primary reason for the score is contrast is low (since it's IPS.)

i ended up buyin this jawn and it seems pretty good. right now i am driving it from a crap integrated video card on a laptop so I can't take advantage of a lot of features

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is this where to ask about KVM switches? I need something with four USB outputs, two HDMI outputs, and two PC inputs, don't really care about input format but I supposed HDMI, DP or USB 3.0 would be best. Looking at various two monitor KVM switches, it seems like you need to pull two HDMI outputs from each PC - from one, this will not be a problem, but from my laptop I only have one HDMI output. I presume I will have to use a dock with the laptop to get it to output to two HDMI cables. Am I missing something or is there something that can help me solve my problem better?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chmods please posted:

If both PCs support Thunderbolt 3 I'd just get a dock which has all the ports you need. I've been using a Caldigit TS3 to switch between my Windows desktop (there are a couple of PCI-E Thunderbolt cards you can get) and a MacBook Pro with almost no issues except that when I upgraded to a 4K monitor the Mac stopped being able to use both displays with a single connection, which might be related to macOS' inability to send multiple DisplayPort streams over a single connection, maybe something with bandwidth, dunno. even then it's not a big deal to move the dock connection and second monitor USB-C connection at the same time.

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, no TB3 on the desktop so that's out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am searching for a new monitor, 27" 1440 120hz+ to replace an old Samsung 22" that is finally dying. RIP lil buddy.

Is the HP X27q still the big value king? Any good alternatives? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but if there are other options to consider I'd like to know. I also hate external power bricks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rinkles posted:

probably gonna disappear soon, but amazon has the x27q for $175

"treasure truck" deal

https://www.amazon.com/tt/webview

thanks for this, jumped on it because hell, $175!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the self leveling monitor seems kind of cool until i think about the self leveling headlights on my car and how poorly they work

of course those are old enough to drink and few monitors last 20 years so maybe it won't be a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I clearly have low standards but I upgraded from a 24" 1080/60 that I had zero problems with to a 27" 1440/144 earlier this year and the 27" is still blowing my mind in terms of size and quality. (I also still have a 50" 1080 TV that I am amazed by)