Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
Ars posted today that Dell is having a 25% off sale on a bunch of monitors today only.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/monday-dealmasters-dell-monitor-blowout-craziness/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Saveron_01 posted:

There is a deal on the Dell U2414H. Basically through my work I can get two for $563.90 (includes tax and shipping), after pricing through their website. With my coding work, I have really have become accustomed to a dual monitor setup, plus when I work from home that I can use my work Macbook Pro through one of the monitors.

I do not play too many twitch type games, mainly EvE Online and LoL, but I do a bunch of PSD and Illustrator work where color is somewhat critical. Think that the Dell U2414H would be something to jump on, or wait til a better deal, or if there is another type of monitor that I should consider comes along?

I have no feedback on the monitor itself but seems like that pricing is available to everyone.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=860-BBCG&dgc=BA&cid=285111&lid=5447194&acd=12309209382360144

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
VESA mounting question - I have a stand on an old monitor that is VESA 100, but my new monitor is VESA 75. I want to repurpose the old stand. I have seen adapters on amazon and newegg that state they convert a VESA 75 stand to a VESA 100 monitor, which is the exact opposite of my situation, but I should still be able to make that work, right? It might not be totally flush with the back of the monitor, but I don't think I really care about that. Someone tell me if I am crazy and not thinking through this correctly.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
What's the thread feeling on the Asus PB278Q? Got a line on two used ones for cheap, wondering if there are any pitfalls I need to know about.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

DrDork posted:

They're fine monitors; I have one. It's nice as a kinda generic, but good quality 2560x1440@60 IPS monitor. 100% sRGB is a plus, too. The stands are ok--not quite as nice as some of the Dells that I've had, but better than the junk ones that Acer and the like seem to enjoy using.

That said, they're a bit long in the tooth at this point, so unless you're getting them real cheap (<$150/ea?) I'd say you'd be better off getting something newer.

Cool, thanks. Price is $125/ea without the stand, and will be a good upgrade from my U2412M - just want some more desktop real estate for spreadsheets, etc

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Tivac posted:

Has there been any movement on larger 4k screens recently?

I have this 32" BenQ at work and it's great, but I think 40" would be a little more comfortable. Last time I looked into this was over a year ago and it was either slightly dodgy TVs or even dodgier Korean imports to get 4k at around 40".

A friend just got the IPS Acer et430k for $450 at MicroCenter (apparently Costco had it at $400) and was very impressed with it vs. a Samsung TV with VA panel (MU5300?).

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-UM-ME0AA-001-ET430K-LED-Monitor/dp/B072BL5QK4

thiazi fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 28, 2018

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

Thank you!! If this is true could you/ somebody maybe link me one that's recommended

The devices I'm seeing appear to be the same so I'm not really sure what to buy

Just type HDMI switch into Amazon. I have the amazon basics one, works great for ten bucks.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

I think my Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch monitor is dying after 7 years. Screen keeps turning on and off for a few seconds every few minutes. I'm going to unplug it over night to see if there's any change, but so far I've tried turning it off for 30 minutes and updating drivers.

Is there something close to a current day equivalent? I saw the Acer XF270HU 27 recommended a few times the past few pages, but that's a little more than I'd like to spend. Would like to keep it around $200 if possible.

As for what I use it for, it's apart of a dual display setup for my PC. The other display is a 4k Samsung TV that I primarily use for PC gaming, although I also did use my Ultrasharp occasionally when the text was too hard to read on the TV. The monitor was generally for internet browsing and whatnot. My PC has a i7-8700k and a GTX 1080ti.

Also is this a purchase I should wait to see what happens for cyber Monday?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...=BI%3A514&smp=y

The U2415 has been on sale recently for $199.

As far as I understand, it’s the same as the 2412M in terms of resolution and whatnot, just newer and thinner bezels.

thiazi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
I want to update my WFH setup from two Dell U2412Ms to a single monitor solution. Debating between 27/28" or 32" UHD/4k, or 27" 1440p. This is purely for Excel, word processing, etc. I sit/stand 2-3' from the monitor, and though my desk is small I think it could handle the 32" without being ridiculous. Budget is under $500 so I'm probably looking at a used or VA in the 32" range, but I think that would be fine for my use case (nothing color sensitive). Any thoughts or recommendations?