Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Does anyone have any good information on the CCIP pipper-on-a-string type of bomb targeting, specifically how/when it was developed? Also, is that a strictly Western thing, or is it universal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

The first of the Royal Navy's Astute class subs have apparently completed their trials and are being prepared for service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10191427/Navys-new-Astute-class-hunter-killer-subs-enter-service.html

The Telegraph posted:

The Astute class submarines have cost more than £1 billion each and are among the most advanced in the world. They can circumvent the globe without surfacing, carrying a payload of dozens of cruise missiles and torpedoes.

:stare:

They... can sail through space?

MrYenko posted:

I don't think there are any solid numbers on it, but I'd be somewhat surprised if a modern nuclear submarine could come anywhere near the crash-dive times of a WWII diesel/electric. Nuclear submarines spend so much of their time already-submerged that a crash dive simply isn't terribly useful, anymore. Also, a Virginia or Astute is much, MUCH larger than any common WWII submarine. Virginias are ~7900 tons, Astutes are ~7400, and a Type VII was ~870. So, huge mass differences probably means unlike dive times.

Also, modern nuclear submarines are generally ballasted to neutral buoyancy, and then "flown" through the water using control surfaces.

This is basically correct. A modern USN SSN is much more massive but also much more powerful than a WWII fleet boat. It really has no reason to be on the surface except when piloting in to a harbor or channel. There is an equivalent to the old crash dive called 'emergency deep' which is usually conducted from periscope depth if a close-aboard contact is discovered that might collide with the ship. Since the ship is already submerged and trimmed to neutral buoyancy, it rings up a flank bell and drives down as steeply as possible without broaching the screw. Old-timey crash dives are hard for modern boats because they have huge main ballast tanks to provide buoyancy to counter their mass, and the MBT valves are basically the same size as the WWII boats'. Also, a modern bridge is rigged with a bridge box (internal comms, compass/engine order repeater, etc), radar repeater screen, safety rails, windscreen, commercial radar, and other junk that needs to be disconnected and stowed before the whole sail is re-rigged for dive. Crash diving from the surface just isn't a skill that's needed anymore.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 23, 2013

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Psion posted:

I would actually be really interested to know how DC was handled on carriers before and after. I'm curious if the changes - I assume there were quite a few, hah - were primarily equipment retrofit or procedural changes. Or both? I know about the deck edge spray system and more all-hands mandatory DC training, but details.

This must have been posted earlier in the thread but we watched this in boot camp (2002):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6NnfRT_OZA

Like Fearless said, DC went from a specialized artisan craft of DCmen who handed down damage control lore to their selected apprentices to something everyone is prepared to do at any time, until they die or the boat stops killing them. Favorite part: one team has coated the fuel with foam and smothered the fire, then another team blasts it with high-pressure seawater, blows the foam off, and the whole thing reflashes :stonk:

I can only imagine that a stupendous amount of institutional DC knowledge and attitude had been lost between WWII and then.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
My grandfather invented war.

Stealth aircraft rely on precisely angled surfaces to reflect RADAR properly. What happens when the pilot uses his controls? The ailerons and rudder can't be stealthified through their full travel, can they?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

grover posted:

A lot of aircraft look perfectly smooth in photos, but look quite different up-close, with rivets and seams damned near everywhere.

That's my point: I'm reading http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2DIW3C/ref=pe_245070_24466410_M1T1DP and he mentions that not fully closing a panel completely compromises the plane's RADAR cross-section. That got me wondering - if a few loose bolts could compromise LO, what happens when the ailerons or rudder deflect?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

benito posted:

Sorry that this reference isn't related to air combat, but this thread has strayed quite a bit and a lot of you seem to have interest in general military history.

The 1509 Battle of Diu was a naval battle fought with the Portuguese on one side and a coalition fleet of Venetians, Egyptians, Ottomans, Croatians, and Indians off the coast of India. In 1509. Not a truly influential battle, but amazing that naval force projection was happening that early between actors who are not currently known as major powers or located near each other or the place of combat. Is it possible to imagine any situation in the past 200 years in which Italy, Egypt, Turkey, Croatia, and India would bond together to fight Portugal? And that Portugal would be the victor?

It reminds me of how a history teacher blew my mind when she pointed out that the Seven Years' War of 1756-1763 was the first "World War", because, as Wikipedia says, "It involved most of the great powers of the time and affected Europe, North America, Central America, the West African coast, India, and the Philippines." 250 years ago.

I honestly don't give a poo poo about off-topicness, but since this post has nothing to do with airpower nor the Cold War, might I suggest the Really Really Good military history thread? It's really really good!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

wdarkk posted:

There was a letter attached to the instruments dropped right before the Nagasaki bomb with a letter to Japanese atomic scientist Ryokichi Sagane basically saying "tell your bosses about what a nuclear bomb means and how hosed they are".

Source

A scientist, who had worked in the US, mentioned by name in a letter dropped next to a vaporized city? Holy poo poo, sounds like a prime way to win a one-way trip to the worst Kempeitai party room there ever was. Good thing for him it apparently wasn't found until after the war.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
The British certainly have recent experience with building and operating marine nuclear reactors. If the primary purpose of a carrier is long-range force projection, does anyone know why they chose conventional propulsion for their new one?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

The banking system is extremely well regulated to help the people who don't want to pay the taxes in their own countries. It serves us, not you, just like everything else we do, including not spending money on stupid poo poo like fighter jets, is about serving us and not you.
About our Muslim minority, nobody forced them to come here and certainly nothing forces them to stay here if they don't like it. We had a referendum about minarets, if that's what you're talking about, and we decided that minarets have no place in Switzerland. Don't like it? We don't care.

On one hand, don't stop being a terrible and hilarious poster, but on the other, get the gently caress out of the awesome airpower thread.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Have a Rafale to calm your nerves:

Thanks, buddy, I needed one.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

You're right, debating with Americans isn't very fruitless, albeit it's quite funny. Sorry for the derail.

lol americans srsly amirite? lol

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

Looking at what happened in Iran or Chile, this idea must sound alien to American ears.

And what is special about American ears? What wisdom do Americans ignore that Europeans understand innately?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Could someone do a brief history/system explanation post of the CCIP bomb sight? All I know from Jane's USAF (hell, going back to Microprose Strike Eagle for Commodore 64 I think) is that it's a pipper hanging from a "string" that indicates the fall path of the weapon and the projected impact point based on the platform's speed and altitude. Who came up with it, and when? Is it a western thing, or do WP and descendant aircraft use it too? Are/were there competing alternative systems? Finally, if you're approaching a target on a ridge or hill a few hundred feet higher than the ground that's under you right now, is it smart enough to use some kind of radar to adjust itself accordingly, or does it assume that you're flying over a flat plane and rely on the pilot to adjust for the target's altitude? PGMs make the last question somewhat moot, but I would imagine that development and training don't assume that you'll always have PGMs.
Thanks!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I figured the KAL 007 shootdown could be a good one, since confusing navigation systems+ pilot error + Soviet pilot/ground control errors + other related stuff = a lot to write about.

If you want to do something on KAL 007 there's this story that has nothing to do with the actual plane:
http://johncbeck.tumblr.com/post/92074597917/count-to-ten-when-a-plane-goes-down
I don't know if there's enough material for a whole paper though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Since there is no scale, I can't tell how long or deep (distance wise) the incursion was.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9364235,36.06707,11z

Right-click and choose 'measure distance'. It's about 1.6 miles, maybe 15-20 seconds at around 300kts.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

OhYeah posted:

The moment that poo poo gets really hot between Turkey and Russia and NATO is hesitant to back them up militarily, the Russians will be yelling "comrades we have done it, we have broken the NATO!". You can bet that the Russians have a "special plan" for us if this is the case. It might not be all-out invasion, but some sort of hybrid warfare we saw in Ukraine.

When you say 'us', are you speaking as someone in a former SSR that is currently a NATO member*? I can't believe an actual shots-fired Russian invasion of a NATO member would fly, but I guess it depends on what people let them get away with.

* you're in Estonia, right?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Is there any equipment that can warn of an incoming IR missile or can they only be detected visually?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yup. It'll automatically deploy countermeasures too. I think Thales and the Israelis make similar systems.

How does it actually make the detection? Like Cat Mattress said, it's a passive threat.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

If it's visual and senses something that has a really large IR signature or something with a IR signature resembling an incoming missile, wouldn't it be really easy to render these detectors ineffective by saturating the environment with lots of IR projections?

It could combine IR detection with a rangefinding laser to identify a detection as a closing contact (there's already a laser in the system) but I'm really just spitballing here which is why I asked. I didn't see anything on the Northrup Grumman page about how it works.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Blind Man's Bluff by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew.

It's a good read but covers more of what US submarines did than the technical poo poo about US and other western subs. Unfortunately I don't know any good resource for that.

Definitely worth reading though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
There's an enormous coffee table book about US submarines that goes all the way back, covers WWII and the Cold War, and modernish stuff. It's pretty good and cheap as hell too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883631032?ref_=cm_lmf_img_2
Still no good guidance on other western boats, sorry.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Phanatic posted:

That's not how IR imaging works. Thermal imaging, yes, but that's not the same thing as infrared.

I still don't quite get the distinction. My caveman understanding of thermal imaging is that it interprets primarily IR radiation from an object as varying levels of heat. I have a set of cheapie "generation 1+" or somesuch Belarusian NVGs. It has an IR illuminator that works basically like your TV remote example; it shines a little light that happens to be outside the human visible spectrum but is visible in the goggles. I can see the difference in how my goggles see the world vs. how a real thermal imager sees it, but I guess I don't understand why one form of IR radiation is visible (when reflected) but I can't see the IR radiation that an object is naturally emitting.

Different topic: why did/do the Aussies love the F-111 so much? From my POV, it seemed like kind of an embarrassing hybrid of a bulky fighter (at a time when Vietnam was showing that actual combat maneuvering still counted for a lot) with an OK but not great penetration bomber. It had a lot of newish and flaky technologies and crippling design compromises and never really filled any role well with the USAF (nor USN lol). Tellingly, not a single film exists that pairs an F-111 with either a homoerotic volleyball game nor renowned star of stage and screen Lewis Gossett, Jr. Every account I've heard of Australia using it, though, makes it sound like Ned Kelly eating Vegemite Tim Tams while singing Waltzing Matilda. What did they 'get' about it that we overlooked? I had a question earlier about why Canada, which has no carriers, would fly the CF-18 and the answer was basically that it filled the cost/capability gap between the F-16 and F-15, and the extra CATOBAR strengthening of the airframe and undercarriage was actually a bonus on rough runways. Is there something about the F-111 that makes it a great plane for the outback or filled some other unaddressed need in the RAAF but wasn't needed or appreciated in the USAF?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

Different wavelengths. NVGs are typically sensitive in the near-infrared spectrum (0.75–1.4 µm). Thermal imagers work off of long-wavelength infrared (8–15 µm). Just like your eyes can't see near-infrared light unassisted, your NVGs can't see the long-wavelegth stuff.

Oh, huh. That makes sense now. I just looked at an electromagnetic spectrum diagram for the first time since high school and I guess I never appreciated how both UV and IR cover like ten times the width of the actual visual spectrum, each.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Leaving aside main gun rounds, how well do things like slat armor and that dangly chain curtain on the Merkava realistically protect against ATGMs?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

Just want to add to the last thing I posted on this. The calculations on a plasma shield rapidly end up silly, but it's hilarious.

Instead of active defense, what about active camouflage? Every 6-18 months there's a news story about some kids at Stanford or MIT demonstrating a technology that looks like Predator cloaking or some poo poo (on a very small scale). This would certainly help with the UAV recon threat. What are the odds of one of those projects ever making it out of the lab and into the real world? they already have :tinfoil:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
My God, those things really were flying boats. Like not airplanes with watertight hulls that could land on the sea, like an actual ship that happened to coincidentally have wings and the ability to fly. There's a crewman wrenching on an engine in flight in that diagram FFS.

As economically unviable as it is stuff like that makes me want stuff like zeppelin travel to come back so much.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Godspeed, flying banana. :patriot:

My grandfather who imported furniture from Europe apparently bought a stack of the famous US helo shootdown postage stamps from Vietnam because they were actually illegal to buy in the US. I'm sure it seemed like a good investment in the mid 1960s but Vietnam printed enough of the things to tank any secondary market or anything. They're collectively worth like $20 today.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
She is, yes.

e: and apparently killing the imperialist aggressor with a Mosin-Nagant or some poo poo.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 1, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Stretch F-16s look kind of goofy.

Counterpoint, aggressor paint makes anything automatically look badass.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

OH GOD, EVERYTHING IS ALL TEAL AND IN RUSSIAN. *plows into a mountain*
So? Just think in Russian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-uzsw0kqw

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

wkarma posted:

If you look carefully at that picture, you will see that the E-2 (the one with the big radar on top) is sitting basically ready to go on one of the waist catapults (there are 4 catapults, the two up at the bow and two that roughly follow the landing area). Behind that are 4 hornets that would be the next to launch and would coincidentally free up the angle deck for landing ops. You can also see the H-60 rescue bird that would be the first to launch if flight ops started.

Here's a shot that shows the 4 catapults a bit better.

Are the waist catapults the two strips that seem to converge on each other on the port side of the landing area? I never knew they even had those.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

priznat posted:

There was a guy who was really pissed off that all he has done in the military thus far is swab decks and clean toilets.

Swabbing decks, cleaning shitters, and being really pissed off. That guy had the most military career that ever existed; he should have been thankful to have gotten his wish.

There's a show I remembered liking called 'The Passage' about a midshipman cruise on a Singapore gator freighter, reminded me a bit of Carrier but not as 'gritty' or whatever; it was definitely filed off and sanded down by RSN PR people but still pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZpdRVKenY

e: wasn't there some guy on Carrier who was getting kicked out for being unashamedly racist but was really inconsistent about it? "I'd die for you bro, we've bonded so much on this deployment" (hugs his black shipmate) "I still hate you 'cos you're a (gentleman of African descent) though. I love you dude."

e2: Watching a few episodes of 'The Passage' again it's actually a pretty blatant recruiting show for the RSN. Still interesting to watch though. brb joining the Singapore Navy.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 4, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

At that point it becomes someone's Operation Worthless Dirt: 2080 Edition.

I would buy that on Steam and play the poo poo out of it.

Good takeaway points though, the South alone is not capable of adopting and rehabilitating the North and nobody else seems to GAF except China. What are your thoughts on a China intervention? I don't know what it gains them, but if the North collapses and their hand is forced...?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Force de Fappe posted:

I wish I knew Chinese better, it'd be interesting to know what Chinese academics and politicians think of the issue.

I legitimately wonder what Chinese academics and politicians would be allowed to share publicly about it.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
So an AGM-114 Hellfire has apparently turned up in Cuba. Aside from the violation of export restriction &c, what's the damage? It's been exported to like 30 countries and from my very limited understanding of this kind of thing, it's about as simple as guided missiles get. I don't want to downplay the implications of military hardware ending up in unfriendly nations, but technically speaking is this a big deal? It's not like Cuba is going to start an indigenous AGM industry, and whoever they sell it to - China, Russia - already makes missiles that do the same thing: go to that place and then blow up the thing. What do they care? Is it a countermeasures thing or is the whole blowup about the military technology leak and not the actual military technology that was leaked?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
That's a pretty sweet clock right there.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/01/the-slowly-fading-art-of-flying-and-maintaining-cold-war-fighter-jets/

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Godholio posted:

I've posted this somewhere, maybe it was this thread. Either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BYeOVnO0Y

How is there not a brrrrrt smiley.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

the BBC posted:

North Korean media is known for making often outlandish claims about its domestic achievements.

Observe the majestic British understatement in its natural habitat. Shh - don't scare it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

McNally posted:

It's from a James Bond movie, Tomorrow Never Dies. It was the arming switch or something on a Royal Navy vessel.

When I was growing up, our synagogue had a switch down in the basement that did something with the ventilation or whatever. It had the old-fashioned Dymo stamped plastic labels on it: SUMMER and WINTER. For years my dad had me believing that it was The Switch :tinfoil: