Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 18, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Shouldn't using a hash set give you an O(n) solution?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

gucci void main posted:

The company "doesn't offer insurance"

Haha, what? Why are you applying to this company?

gucci void main posted:

Someone tell me the kindest way that I can do this, if one even exists.

I would honestly not even bother countering with an offer like that unless I really had no other (better) options.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

gucci void main posted:

I sort of do want to hear what they have to say, though. The contract clearly states that they don't have a group health insurance policy. I understand that not every company does this, but it would be respectable to compensate for it as such. On the other hand, a retirement savings is arguably the most fundamental benefit to any full-time job, to the point that McDonald's offers a 401k plan on top of insurance and health benefits (this are exceptions to this, but for sake of argument let's assume most employees have access to it).

If I can field 65k with relocation assistance and some other benefits, I would consider the offer, but there is simply a boatload of risk involved with moving to a new location. If, in the worst case scenario, something bad happens and I lose my job (trust that I would put in the effort, so it would not be due to this), I would not have the money saved to support myself while looking for a new job. This also considers the fact that even in the cheapest terms of sharing an apartment, it will cost close to $2000 as first/last month's rent is expected in almost every posting I have seen, plus the potential commitment to X number of months of living there.

Why are you so stuck on this company? SE's are in demand and there are plenty of companies out there that won't treat you like this.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Infinotize A few things:

-It's a little odd you list Unix but have no Linux experience.
-You misspelled were as where.
-I think your internship is fluff and detracts from the overall resume. It doesn't say anything important that you did.
-You don't really expand about your leadership. What did you do? And have you done anything leadership wise outside of development? (Drive designs, scrum master, management of others)
- And this bullet: "Developed and maintained functionality providing data and task synchronization." says the same thing as its sub-bullet (with more detail in the sub-bullet), so they can be combined.

I actually think you can get rid of the main bullets altogether because they don't really provide substance.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

tef posted:

TeX makes excellent typography possible, but the templates you find on the first page of google all look terrible.

This is actually depressing. Formatting was the last thing I was expecting the resume to get criticized for because it's the only thing we didn't change from the resume we bought from Duvet. Also, this is in word, not latex. I'm not sure if we should switch over to latex? My CV is done in Latex but I think this would be harder to port over completely. Neither of us have pages. Honestly, I wasn't even thinking about formatting with his CV because, clearly, both of us have 0 design instinct or taste.

tef posted:

bullets

Should I be just removing bullets from the Tech Skills portion and the Italicized portion? I'm not sure how to fit the whole thing in one page without it looking like a huge blob of text otherwise.

I'm also having issue trying to think of how else to emphasize that italicized portion. I agree though, it's hard to read and I'm not a huge fan.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

shrughes posted:

I could go in more detail in specific sentences but that's too high-effort since I can't copy/paste anything because for some reason you've inexplicably decided to post an image.

Thanks for the criticism and prespective, it's really appreciated (and the edit was exactly what I was looking for). I'll have to talk to him about most of it first because it is largely over my head. Just to address the image, I had originally posted it in docx and pdf. It got no responses and I saw a lot of people posting images getting responses, ergo posting it as an image might help. But of course, I forgot to link the docx and pdf again. So here it is, if that makes a difference: (both are dropbox links) docx and pdf

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 19, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

shrughes posted:

You have to note that I'm a bit of a sperg, and my boss is a bit of a sperg, and my previous bosses were half-spergy too. Maybe there is somebody who actually likes big lists of acronyms. An HR department, perhaps, and other nests of ick. And of course, please remind the resume person that this is my impression of him based on his resume and not my impression of him :)

I actually like the term "C/C++" but yeah I recommmended splitting that for the people who get butthurt about it.

He's a bit of a sperg too and honestly I think this resume is his way of trying to cater to what he thinks HR/management wants to see. Anyways, when I showed it to him he just said: "Well, that's a pretty brutal response." But I think he largely agrees with you so he's working on it now. :) No good comes of being coddled.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Karanth posted:

There are plenty of places at large scale where a 14% performance improvement isn't just worthwhile, it's huge, and on a critical path where the low hanging optimization fruit has already been picked it can be quite impressive. "Tell me more about this" would be a likely interview question.

This is actually the case here. As far as I'm aware, doing this got him a promotion. But I think the takeaway from shrughes' post is that it really doesn't come across.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 19, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 18, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

shrughes posted:

When I think "interviewer takes off points for not wearing suit", I tend to associate that with "my potential coworkers are mentally retarded". (Of course they'd also be retarded if they took points off for wearing a suit. But it's certainly reasonable to expect anybody that wears a suit to the interview to do poorly, since everybody that has worn a suit has done poorly.)

This may be true but I think the advice to just wear a suit is more based on the fact that even an ill fitting suit will be neutral at worst whereas if you show up in a huge anime shirt, it might not go over so well. Subconscious judgements matter if your abilities are not spectacular and especially if another candidate and you are very close.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bhaal posted:

Ask about telecommuting prospects in the future. My best friend lives in VT and his office is in GA due to his wife's post-doctorate career taking her up north. He arranged with his company of 4 years to work from home up there (software engineer) and he flies down once a month-ish for big meetings and so on. If you don't think you'd be committed to the area but the job turns out to kick rear end it would suck to feel like you have to choose, and to boot if you wind up staying in that area it would suck to lose out on years of vesting that you otherwise would have taken.

We're actually not too worried about this if only because my field is really hot in the Bay area and it doesn't look like it's going to die down any time soon. I don't think I need to say anything about developers in that area either, additionally he also has several in's at companies there. So if I go into industry, we're set.

It might be a good idea if I end up going into academia though. Relying on getting into Berkeley or Stanford might be a stretch, hah.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

A recruiter contact is only a first step and doesn't necessarily reflect the company's hiring intentions. The larger companies do relocate people to the bay, of course, but it's expensive for startups to do so.

The friend I'd mentioned previously only interviewed from start ups for the equity and they were all in the Bay Area. All offers included relocation.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

That's a reasonable point to make however I've had software dev jobs in the past and I've had various companies tell me that someone looking remotely is at a disadvantage compared to if they were searching locally and I believed them. Disagree if you want. You don't have to tell me that there are other reasons I don't have a job, I've had recruiters telling me that for a long time.

Gaz, don't take it so personally. I only posted because I didn't want people to get the idea that they need to be local to be competitive for Bay Area companies. To be frank, Bay Area companies have stellar devs throwing themselves at them because the potential for return on equity is so high.

I'm sure it's a boon if you don't have to relocate, but in the grand scheme of things relocation costs are going to be less than a tenth of what they pay you in a year - and usually equity means you'll be staying for at least a few years.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

hieronymus posted:

As near as I can tell, Texas and North Carolina are the best places to be a software developer (from money perspective) because the IT companies pay you almost what you'd get in other markets, but the actual cost of living is much, much lower.

I don't really agree with this. NC wouldn't be so bad if there was no state income tax but it's at 7.75. I have to say Washington has the best balance between COL and salary, especially if you're at Redmond with Google or something.

Although I guess it depends on where you are in NC. I'm speaking about the RTP area, not sure about Charlotte.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

fritz posted:

Most of the people I interview with just a master's have been disappointments, do CS departments just hand them out like candy? (phds are a different story)

I know of at least one pretty well known CS department that gives you a master's for just one more year of classes after undergrad. From what I've heard of the graduates, these classes are mostly project based and basically what you'd get from work experience anyways.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Why don't you use a more reliable source? Like: http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Software-Engineer-I-Salary-Details-San-Francisco-CA.aspx

Their data collection:

"All of Salary.com's data is proprietary and is based on employer-reported data. It does not contain data from individual site users, placement agencies, job postings, nor any other sources that would traditionally be characterized as "unreliable" by compensation or human resource professionals."

That poll obviously conflates all the different tiers and experience. The sample is also going to be far more biased than any other volunteer poll.

edit I'm not in SF/Bay Area, but based on the base salary offers a friend of mine got (who has what a hiring manager at Amazon called a 'perfect resume and track record'), that looks high. The friend of mine is very good at what he does and he got offers from most of the companies in SF he applied to. (he applied to 30 some companies)

edit2 Just a thought. Why do people talk about base salary versus total compensation? Some tech companies will give you 50%-100% of your base salary in stock bonuses and that really makes a difference.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 2, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

Pay is always better when you can keep it for yourself. That's why I wouldn't mind living in California, housing and gas may cost more, but money in the bank is still money in the bank. I'm good at saving money(live off of 500$ a month here in Tennessee), so I think I could still manage to get quite a bit put away with a California salary.

I actually hear about a lot of people doing this, and getting out when they get a family and can't just get by on nothing.

Analytic Engine posted:

Thanks, didn't know about them.

Is Glassdoor any more accurate? They give a Low/Median/High of $70k/$90.5k/$119k, but
they also don't discriminate on experience.
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,31.htm

No problem. I wouldn't go with Glassdoor. They don't remove old data from what I can tell, and it's employee reported not employer reported. Sample sizes tend to be lower too.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's not bad for the area. You'd be in the middle of bumfuck nowhere though. (Which is why it's not bad for the area.)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

baquerd posted:

You may not understand just how different the COL can be. Think about a 4 bed, 3 bath, 3000 square foot house with a 2 car garage and a nice yard for $250k, the most expensive restaurants running $30/plate (albeit with representative quality), bars serving $2 domestics and $4 mixed drinks all week long, and people thinking a 20 minute commute is pretty bad. That's the Midwest in most towns of 10-40k people.

NC is a weird state. There's a pretty high state income tax and generally speaking wages are depressed. But the cost of living is similarly depressed in comparison to what you'd find in comparable places in the rest of US. Surprisingly, what you've described here is about what you'd find in metro NC. Franklin is going to be cheaper. Think, not even covered on Redfin. Here:

http://www.zip-codes.com/city/nc-franklin.asp (Notice the median HH salary: $38,475.00)
http://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...3486_rect/9_zm/

When I said bumfuck nowhere, I meant bumfuck nowhere. I'd be extremely surprised if you got a ~90k salary in Franklin. It's important to remember that anyone stationed out there is not going to be looking for the kind of quality or skill as elsewhere.

edit If you want to do tech in NC, RTP pays decently. If you can do financial programming work, Charlotte would be probably good too.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 4, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Microsoft is hard recruiting right now, even for their satellite campuses.

VV That is literally the exact opposite of what I've heard.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
From what I've heard, they don't care. But I imagine it varies from manager to manager.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

You Don't Want To Work For A Place That Would Lowball You Anyway™

This is true. But it's still a good idea. I know of an instance where the company could only increase the base salary by a (relatively) nominal amount, but offered a substantial cash signing bonus that didn't exist before. They were offering above industry standard for the area originally.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Cicero posted:

Maybe I'm just paranoid and weird, but I wouldn't get a degree at a community college. Then I'd feel obligated to list it on my resume, and (this is where the paranoia comes in) I have a sneaking suspicion it'd make your resume look worse to have a community college listed on there + university, than just having the university.

I think it depends, but I'd bet on people not caring. Different field (still STEM) but I went to a really lovely might as well be CC university for my Freshman year, but then transferred to a top 25 college. I got into a top 5 PhD program fine with a mediocre overall GPA but high major GPA including some graduate level courses I took in my last 2 years.

My impression is, if people care about your performance in college, usually they really only care about the last 2 years. Unless you did all of your major courses in the first 2 years, it really shouldn't matter. There are CC's that are feeder schools to places like Berkeley, and if you did well your last 2 years at Berkeley, no one's going to give a drat your where your first two years were.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 9, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Or you could just do it the way a lot of stats departments do it, look at the natural distribution and then look for clear cutpoints for delineation.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
There are a lot of places that don't have an urgent need to hire someone but do have multiple openings for when the right person comes along.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I do believe the big three use group interviews for some if their college recruiting because there is so much volume. But that's about it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

smokyprogg posted:

So I am a junior CS major at a top tier public school, and I'm looking for internships for next summer. I only started CS a year ago (was previously a physics major) and have had a 3.8+ GPA the past year, almost only taking 3000/4000 level CS courses.

The problem: I was a dumb, dumb kid a few years back, hated school, had no drive, and took some awful advice from my family that led to dropping out of school with a cool 1.0 GPA to go work. It didn't work out, and I ended up completely broke, and living in my car. After being kicked out of school by the administration, I successfully petitioned to go back in and switch to CS. Now, I feel like I'm doing better in my classes than my peers and have a much stronger work ethic, but it won't show on a transcript (which will show a 2.2 overall GPA with a bunch of F's, albeit from before I ever did CS). How should I go about applying to places with this in mind?

Don't cite your overall GPA, just your major GPA on your CV.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

rotor posted:

google has (had?) a huge, ridiculous boner about GPA

Weird. I've heard of people with <3.0 GPA's get Google interviews straight out of school 8 years ago. They definitely don't care now after you've had experience.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

shrughes posted:

stevefrench says he never mentioned GPA but he did have a big fat "MIT" on his resume and it wasn't the Mapua Instituted of Technology or Mekelle either.

The people I'm referring to did not go to MIT or CMU or CalTech or Stanford.

Honestly, if you go to some obscure school, it's not like GPA matters anyways with deflation and inflation all over the place these days.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm just going to throw it out there that everyone I know that is extremely successful in the industry did it without using Latex.

To be fair, I sometimes wonder if shrughes is from the moon, because I know a lot of extremely successful tech people in various parts of the country and none of them care about half the things he does. So I might just be coming from a different perspective. I'm also not a tech person myself.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

shrughes posted:

I don't care about the things I mention either. If I'm reading a resume, my goal is not to nitpick like that. The thing is that people do get a bad first impression when you have typos, mixed tenses, awkward omissions of articles, calling things programming languages that are not, using "C/C++", and all the other things I mentioned. When looking at a resume that you're making, you need to take a maximally antagonistic view towards anything on there and ask how you can make it better. (Using Microsoft Word isn't that important, it's just that the formatting is the first impression you get. If they haven't had the occasion to learn LaTeX, and if they have a copy of MS Office on their machine, they're probably not very well educated, and it shows when they happily spew out their Microsoftian demented parody of typographic design. Imagine being a liberal white person with ingrained racial prejudices. Seeing a Microsoft Word resume is kind of like meeting a black person, you have to smother your initial preconceptions and think "Oh, I'm not going to assume this person's of below average intelligence.")

That's fair. Not sure about your analogy, but the rest of it I can get behind. With that said, most good resumes you can't really tell it's from MS Word because no one uses the default formatting. And Word is actually pretty powerful. I'm coming from a field extremely prejudiced against MS Word and pretty much uses Latex exclusively, so I get the love for Latex. I just haven't seen a poorly formatted Word resume that wouldn't also be awful in Latex because the creator clearly doesn't understand proper formatting, nor one that couldn't be fixed in Word easily.

quote:

You say that none of the people care about half the things I do, though. I don't get why. The only thing people have complained about me mentioning is it not being in LaTeX, which is just, you know, my first reaction to seeing it. Do the people you know just go and omit commas? And if anybody I knew started talking to me about how awesome object oriented programming is, well, it's not like I'd sperg out on them or anything, I'd just assume they were a bit green. (Maybe I'd flip my poo poo when they begin to claim that OOP provides encapsulation.)

I think it's more the strength of what you say. I also wasn't referring specifically to your last post. But more than once, I've read what you wrote, showed it to someone or mention it in passing to a friend , and they'd say: "mm.. no...etc". I think usually their objection is, while the general idea isn't wrong, it doesn't effect their final decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

People who know much of anything about print typesetting can spot Word's derpiness regardless of how much you customize it; it's simply not very good at laying out text. For a developer position this is unlikely to actually matter, but I suppose most designers would argue that good typography helps even if it's not actively noticed.

Yes sorry, within the context of this thread.