Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

For everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Forgall posted:

Are there any companies that are known to be interested in hiring from abroad, or any job listing websites / recruiting companies etc that specialize in this matter?

There's this guy in the jobs/looking for jobs thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3246449&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post425639166

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Tunga posted:

Google on-site interview confirmed :dance: .

Question for the thread, I was asked how I would solve the following problem:

"Given a document and an integer x, find the most frequently occurring word in the document of length x."

This wasn't a written coding exercise, I was just asked to describe my solution. I said (in a bit more detail than this) that I would use a hash table to keep track of the number of times each word appears (ignoring any with the wrong length) and each time I increment a value I would check it against the current highest seen value. At the end you immediately have your result.

He seemed okay with this answer. Are there any better ways to do it?

IDK if it's necessarily 'better' but you could construct a trie with constant depth and store word count in leaf nodes. You might save on memory, depending on how hashes work in your system and how big and varied the document is. Also it impresses people who like trees.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 24, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Tunga posted:

A trie is an interesting approach. I have to admit that it's not a data structure we were ever taught and I've never had any reason to use one so it's not really something that ever comes to mind.

I wrote one for fun like 5 years ago or else I'd never have used one, either, but the kind of ridiculous specificity of only looking at four character strings stuck out as the interviewer hoping you'd think of a way to optimize the solution based on that for some hidden bonus points.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Tunga posted:

Okay, thanks, these were helpful. I think my post got a bit off track, I was really just wondering what I should give them for an estimate since they specifically said that I have to give an estimate before I start working on it. Should I be honest up-front about the fact that it will take me longer because there's some new stuff here? Obviously if I was to do it again in the future it'd be quicker since after this I'll know how to do it.

You should figure out how long it will honestly take you and tell them that plus some time for margin of error. Any time estimate you give is part of the test: it tests whether you can give accurate estimates of project completion time. They don't know the circumstances of your life and so shouldn't judge you on how many days it'll take to finish.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

pigdog posted:

Nobody can give accurate estimates of project completion time, exactly for the reason that a lot of your time as a developer is spent on learning new things which may or may not work the way you'd expect.

And yet it's expected of all of us, which is why I said "plus some time for margin of error" which is how you deal with that "how the hell should I know how long it'll take me to do something I don't know how to do" factor.

I recommend doubling a naive estimate.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dougie McdDouger posted:

Ill be in Illinois for the 2nd year of study.

Are there any particular parts of the US that are quite high on Tech jobs? Other than San Fransisco of course.

You're already going to be near* Chicago so it'd be relatively easy to interview there for an internship or entry level job and it's comparable to NY as far as big city amenities but has had room to sprawl quite a bit so housing costs aren't quite as insane.

*in the US, that two hour (~120 mile) car ride counts as 'near' btw

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

scissorman posted:

I believe they aren't allowed to ask but since it's an ongoing problem, shouldn't I at least say something?

Are you going to need extra sick/personal days because of it? If not then no.

Maybe it's because I live in the US where you just expect employers to gently caress you over until proven otherwise, but I'm not sure why you'd even think to mention it unless and until you're un-fireable.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

YanniRotten posted:

Yeah, I'm really feeling now that I should have said "Hey, if you can't proceed without a salary, then I guess we're not proceeding. Let me know if that changes." The engineering team is his customer, and if they want to hire me, they probably wouldn't accept "Uh he wouldn't name his salary so I didn't know how cheap I could get him, so there's no offer" as an answer from him, after six team members each spent an hour with me.

Clearly I can never ever reveal my current salary unless I feel it's in my favor to do so - which it won't ever be at my current company. It's so damaging - there's no way it's not costing me at least ten thousand dollars in my first year, if I do end up at this place.

I'm confused about something. This is an external recruiter, right (third party, works for a recruiting firm)? Don't they normally take their cut as a percentage of starting salary? That would make him want to puff up your $$$, not cut it by 1/4.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

That's a great point but now I'm wondering why the recruiter is the middle man in compensation negotiations at all. Is that normal?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Blotto Skorzany posted:

I imagine that most external recruiters would be scared of getting cheated out of part or all of their commission if they weren't the middleman in salary negotiations and thus privy to the final offer and acceptance thereof.

Also makes sense. Well now I understand why I find recruiters distasteful: they're the realtors of employment

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Bognar posted:

I feel bad for anyone who used that term negatively.

Feel worse for anyone working for someone like that.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

This is maybe a little out of left field, but is my position as board president at my Co-Op something that should go on my resume? It's not industry-relevant, it's part-time and I'm only president instead of a regular board member because I haven't been around long enough for a sizable minority of the members to hate me yet, but I'm still the legally liable president of what is technically a corporation with a net worth in the millions, so maybe that should count for something? If you saw that on the resume of someone applying for a software job, would you roll your eyes and get mad at me for wasting the seconds you spent reading it or think it's a positive thing?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

KernelSlanders posted:

If you're getting a substantial raise for doing the same job then you were under paid for all your time there prior. So there's that.

Or you take on more responsibility or change jobs within the company or show evidence that the local market could pay you more. Of course that last one requires you to work for someone who knows/understands/thinks you're not easily replaceable, so YMMV.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

a slime posted:

Facebook finally reached out to me 3.5 months after submitting my application. Kind of a bummer, I would have liked to interview there.

Interview anyway - it's great practice.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

How long did you folks stay at your first job? Alternatively, if I fix up my resume could someone tell me what type of roles/$$$ I should be looking for?

I got downsized after six months. It sucked pretty hard considering I moved pretty far for the job. Learned a lot though - especially about what to look for in a business I don't want to work for :v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

No Safe Word posted:

Well, my first gig was a contract-to-hire thing at a teeny tiny startup (there were like 4 other guys and no actual office space) that expired after 4 months with no hire due to lack of funding so... first real programming gig after that? About 6 years but I think that's an exception.

My second job lasted almost six years, but that was largely due to the great recession making the job market pretty bad for a while.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

https://www.hackerrank.com supports a bunch of languages.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Fancy Corndog posted:

Which one should I choose?

Which one pays more and/or is used by the more personally and professionally fulfilling companies in the area you want to live in?

Or just go with C# because it's a less ugly language.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Is Java 8 still open source or has Oracle sewn it all up and told everyone to pay up or get hosed yet? I kinda stopped paying attention around when they lost that absurd lawsuit.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah it'd be pretty sweet but too bad the company is only holding together by the will of a billionaire literally named Slim.

The salaries listed on their site also sound low for the NYC area, but I'm just basing that on what cost-of-living calculators spit out.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

enthe0s posted:

I think I was unclear. I definitely didn't feel bad about asking for an extension, but I think maybe I should have phrased my reason better than "because I want to interview with another company tomorrow". Was in I wrong in that regard and should have maybe just kept it to "I need some more time to think about it"?

The other recruiter got back to me and wants to know how my current offer stacks up against the company I'll be interviewing with tomorrow. I think it's ok to let him know about salary and benefits right? Obviously not going to name the 1st company though.

Only reveal your other offer to someone if it's better than their offer.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skuto posted:

Nah, you can totally tell the ones that gave you the best offer that the other side bid higher. There's zero downsides to this.

Depending on how much I really wanted the job I'd be afraid they'd demand proof of some sort but I guess then

pr0zac posted:

Or if you feel bad about lying for some reason just heavily imply that this is the case.

applies

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I'm usually up-front with what I'd consider as a price floor and it's prevented a mutual waste of time once (they wanted to pay $30k for PHP dev in a major regional city LMAO) but then that's exactly what they usually offer, so :shrug:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

NovemberMike posted:

Look around on the internet for facebook interview questions. They will ask you those questions word for word.

There's a huge variation in difficulty in the ones on Glassdoor. Some of them just have to reverse a string but one guy was asked to write a symbolic equation solver :stare:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

In addition to bestplaces, there's also http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/ and http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ which is crowd-sourced but has a much more detailed cost breakdown.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skuto posted:

I'm not sure how web devs deal with this, to be honest.

browserstack.com - doesn't help much with factorial-scale* growth of additional issues that can come up when you start thinking about user settings being tweaked, though.

I did try to get an OSX VM going so I didn't have to get up and walk to the testing mini but it's unstable as all hell and now it's badly outdated with no upgrade path :toot:

*I think there's a more correct name for that, right?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

pr0zac posted:

No you didn't. That would be illegal. Guess when it's not illegal? "unlimited" vacation policies

You mean a business did something illegal while relying on their employees not to report it out of fear and/or ignorance?! :aaaaa:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hughlander posted:

managed out

That is an absolutely delightful euphemism :allears:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Free revision control was pretty crummy until Git, Mercurial, and other DVCS systems came out about ten years ago. Even if CVS and Subversion were usable, the barrier of setting up a central repository put those tools out of reach for a lot of folks for use on personal projects.

Of course, now with powerful, (relatively) easy to use tools, and free services like GItHub and Bitbucket, teaching revision control early is really a no brainer. But it's only really been that way for about five years now, and it takes a while for education to catch up.

You're seriously overstating how much better git, Mercurial &c. are than SVN here - especially to throw together a local repo for a personal project.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

They're all Google-approved back-end languages.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Ask detailed questions about their practices and make sure the answers are right.

If you find out they lied, spend all your work time applying for other jobs.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Doghouse posted:

How could a company not use source control? What does that even mean?

At my last job the lead dev set aside one week every month to hand-merge changes submitted by email.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Colonel J posted:

Had an interview for an internship this past friday for a major game studio. I think it went well but I can't really know. I was told they would get back to me for either a yes or a no. How the hell do you guys cope with the stress? I basically can't concentrate on anything, always F5-ing my inbox and checking my phone. My brain keeps screaming at me that the absence of an answer means I bombed the interview. :( I need this experience so bad...

Some way you get over all types of rejection: mental scar tissue.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

BlackMK4 posted:

Are there any decent online job boards other than Indeed? I'm having issues finding entry level stuff in the Phoenix area.

http://www.dice.com/ works pretty well for me.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

triple sulk posted:

Do not use any search-able job board under any circumstances unless you want a dozen people from India emailing or calling you completely unsolicited within an hour or two of posting your resume. The jobs they have will all be 6+ month contracts for iOS developers with 5-7 years of experience.

FTFY

If you put yourself out there on any service you're going to get useless recruiter spam. Hell, someone called the front desk to ask for me earlier this year because they only had my LinkedIn profile.

Also, you can make your profile private on Dice, IIRC.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skandranon posted:

If Microsoft has lost control of the platform, and it only ever runs on Mono, then that's a difference worth noting. As to if that's worth a name change or not, that's really up to whoever is writing the VM to say what 'language' it runs. Android runs Googles version of Java, and they still call it Java, but they could easily change that.

But that wouldn't make sense because it's still Java the language even if it's not Java the runtime environment. As far as I can tell, most of the confusion arises from the JRE and language having Java in the name and the rest is the language version stagnation on Android. Similarly, both of our browsers support some subset of some version of the ECMAScript spec but it's not a different language on each browser and if you stick with whatever subset IE8 supports you can make a write-once library for just about every browser out there.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

revdrkevind posted:

I'm on a project now where we're pushing similar code to Android and desktop, and the rough amount of code that's shared between the two is zero. There's a lot of code that you can trivially port from one to the other, and pure Java logic is the same if you need to add numbers or whatever, but thanks to all the bits that are different we're basically coding two separate projects and someone copies between them when we need to share features. Different languages isn't far off the mark.

Well yeah, the display code is going to be very different but the fact that you can copy+paste code between the projects means that they use the same language and that you guys hosed up when you didn't create shared libraries.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Chunjee posted:

Nope! It's all AutoHotkey which is my problem; a completely unmarketable language.

The whole application is in AutoHotkey, UI included?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hadlock posted:

So starting off with "120K is what I would need to move out there because it would be a direct trade in real cost of living adjustment" would be an acceptable tactic?

The correct response at this stage is "I'm interested. Make me an offer and I'll consider it" assuming you're actually interested. I'm not sure if you found this COL comparison in your search but it's probably more accurate and certainly more detailed than the CNN COL calculator. Also, don't forget you can ask for relocation money.

The tech bubble thread leads me to believe you'll be looking at at least 4-5k/mo to live within an hour of downtown SF and it won't be nearly much room as you're used to at that range but they could be exaggerating since that's sort of the nature of YOSPOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Ithaqua posted:

Right. You produced a pull request. Now you're blocking, waiting for the pull request to be consumed. Don't do that; think of the pull request as going into a queue. Once it's enqueued, you can continue working on new tasks. There's nothing stopping you from having 2, or 3, or 37 pull requests open.

Unless you've run out of tickets to work on, in which case you bug your manager for more or ask co-workers if they want to get rid of some of theirs. If all of that fails, then ask your manager what you should be doing.

(not you specifically Ithaqua, the general "you")