Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
that collision mesh mod is drat near essential if you play with extra difficulty mods. How can I hide behind cover if I can't shoot over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Ashsaber posted:

I could never play DUST, not because of the difficulty, but because its just the opposite of the way I see the world. I like to think that by hundreds of years after a nuclear war the survivors would be rebuilding, forging a new society, and generally see the world as half full. DUST sees this as stupid, and thinks that it is totally impossible for anything good to happen, so it makes all societies collapse and acts like its the only logical outcome.

Doesn't DUST assume that Elijah won and went through with his plan of making the entire Mojave get Sierra Madre'd?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Returning to FNV after playing other RPGs, it's really weird how you're forced to level up as soon as you reach the experience cap.

in FO1, FO2 and FOT I pretty much always saved my perk and skill points for when "I really needed it". Apparently there's a mod that changes this partially, but it still only allows you to screw around with your points when you level up, it just stacks them between levels.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I decided to make a small mod to allow alcoholic drinks to be affected by Chemist and Day Tripper(they do count for the Day Tripper challenge, so it makes sense to me) since YUP's Chemist fix removed them.

gently caress the GECK so much for not allowing effects to be copied and pasted, holy poo poo. That easily took four times longer than it should have.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Capn Beeb posted:

EVE is pretty rad for energy weapons.

I'll add a note here.
EVE has some pretty cool effects, but some of the audio and visual changes to weapons are annoying as gently caress.

Pulsing/Animated "iron" sights annoy me, and several guns have them with EVE.

Holster/Unholster sounds on some weapons are much, much louder and more obnoxious than they should be.

Finally, some of the kill animations are just too much. It's fun to watch a guy get skeletonized, but having him float in the air for five seconds, pulse for another three and then explode with a horrible scream is just too much when you consider how much death you'll be dealing in a game like this.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Inescapable Duck posted:

Spooky. Work with that and you have creepypasta material.

I think the spookiest thing I've seen from mods is the eyeball trees. I think it's in this thread, even.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Looking for a mod that limits Fast Travel so I'm not zipping around the map all the time, I know Puce Moose has this cool one

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46226

but I was wondering if there were any others where say you repaired a motorcycle and that allowed you to fast travel, but required regular maintenance or something.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40878
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/60868

probably one of these two would work for you.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
they played too much Metal Gear Solid and wanted "Courier" to be like "Big Boss"

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

I beat Johnson Nash, I can beat anyone.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Pretty much, you could probably replace that line with "Wait, why would I want to join the guys who had an entire oil rig annihilated by some random tribal" and no one would have batted an eye

the main point I have when it comes to "why can't I join the Enclave" is that the Enclave straight up would never recruit a filthy subhuman mutated human from the wasteland. Maybe times have changed and they're more flexible now, but if so then you should just make up another faction instead of resurrecting the corpse of one that wasn't even that great to begin with.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think what we got in New Vegas is head and shoulders above what I've read about Van Buren.

that's a natural result of letting ideas cook for so long, I think. Some of the stuff on the cutting room floor really deserves to be there.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

Reddit user Waldo672 did a roundup of the frontier drama.

and here I am installing a 64 MB retexture of 5mm ammo boxes and calling it a day, fully aware I will never ever use a weapon that takes 5mm ammo

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
love to see mod-induced bugs pop up 30 hours into a playthrough

for some reason blind deathclaws are invisible for me now, which although ironically funny also caused Cass and ED-E to eat poo poo.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Nobody Interesting posted:

Ever since I killed the Mr Gutsy in Nipton, ED-E has been making extremely loud metal collision sounds pretty much every time he does anything in an interior location :negative:

Must be the ghost of that poor bot haunting me.

Cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing it or why.

are you using the Ragdolls mod? That was happening to me with that mod on, but there's one specific file you can hide to prevent the constant car crash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/kpnqmi/fnv_lonesome_roads_ede_keeps_making_an_awful/gi3onzg/

person on reddit posted:

edit: it was the Ragdolls mod. I don't know why disabling it in MO didn't remove the mod from loading (maybe because I didn't re-sort the load order?) but hiding the Meshes\nvdlc04 folder in the Ragdolls filetree stopped the issue entirely! MO doesn't mention there being conflicts with any other mods there so I'm not sure entirely what happened, but thankfully I can now explore Lonesome Road without needing earplugs.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

weird that in 11 years no one thought about doing that, amazing

Wow I kind of hate myself for not putting in a Sprint Mod in earlier

It kinda invalidates the Travel Light perk, but god it improves the game so much.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

PinheadSlim posted:

I installed JSawyer to play hardcore on, then I installed all the patches that add all the cut content from the game, then I installed Increased Wasteland Spawns. I got to Primm and there were at least 20 loving powder gangers there and I had to retreat to the little NCR camp across the bridge. There were 8 or so NCR troopers there and if it weren't for them it would have been very difficult clearing out Primm at level one lol.

I played with IWS a lot, but it has a tendency to break/bloat saves. A shame no one remade it to be cleaner, I think it's a bit silly that places like The Fort and Cottonwood Cove have like 10 people guarding it.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I feel dirty, but I think I'll make a mod to undo one of YUP's fixes.

YUP makes Chemist(and Day Tripper, Logan's Loophole) not affect food, stimpacks, magazines, stealth boys and etc, but man do I love how broken that perk is without the fix. I loved 20 minute long stealth boys with Logan's Loophole and Chemist.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I really like the Living Desert and those tax collectors they add are pretty lols-worthy.

Living Desert makes the BoS attack you if you blew up their bunker, and Omertas attack you if you hosed up their plans.

So I fast travel to Novac to chat with Manny about Bitter Springs and start Boone's companion quest.

never thought I'd be tag teamed by mobsters and tech paladins.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I managed to fix an issue that's been bugging me for dozens of hours now.

If for some reason corpses flip the gently caress out and fly randomly whenever you load a zone, sink into the ground or similar annoying poo poo, just change 'bAutomaticFPSFix=1' on NVTF.ini to 0. Not sure why it was screwing everything over, I thought it was the Ragdolls mod that did it.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Nobody Interesting posted:

Main reason I picked it for my run and why VNV has added it now is due to compatibility with other mods. The changelog does a good job of making it clear what changes are rope kid's originals, ones which the modder has added in, and tweaks to the originals, so combing through with xEdit to make your own patch isn't too difficult. Patch I linked is case in point.

Encumbrance chat: I finally realised inventory management isn't fun. My max carryweight is 1000 now. I wanted to use lStewie to make everything except weapons and armour weightless but setting it crashed the game for me. I am completely insane and play this game in Linux (i use arch btw :smuggo:) so that probably had something to do with it.

I'm on the fence about inventory management. It makes sense in games where you're not able to just go back and pick up the poo poo you left behind easily, makes all the stuff you leave behind have a lasting impact.

New Vegas is a bit too peaceful of a world for the survival/inventory planning aspect to really shine, and with fast travel it really just becomes busywork after the beginning of the game.

I think it works on games like STALKER and FO4 Survival because the world is loving brutal and every WG that you spend on ammo or medicine is one that you can't spend on stuff that could get you better equipment. Still, even in those the inventory management just becomes annoying later in the game.

but it still feels like cheating to modav it away.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Basic Chunnel posted:

In theory, encumbrance concerns can make a game more interesting. In practice they aren't, and I give in to my hoarding tendencies. One of the reasons that I tend to flame out on latter Fallouts in the late going is because I develop a rapidly tightening cycle of finding new junk to carry and figuring out what of the dozens and dozens of aid and junk items I don't need I'm willing to give up. I find Fallout 4 an easier kind of packrat game to appreciate because the crafting system is not quite as particular, any given "ingredient" can generally be used for a multitude of things.

yeah, Fallout 4 made that much simpler, in a good way.

New Vegas did this pretty well with ammo crafting(dozens of ammo types broken down into relatively few components) but it can get obnoxious with its cooking and crafting recipes. I pretty much only memorize the stuff I need for weapon repair kits and ignore all the other junk, even though I'm sure it has its uses.

Being the modding thread, wish someone made a mod where you could tag recipes you want to track and then marked related items when you found them in inventories. This way I won't have to literally write down that I also need a forceps to make doctor's bags and such.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's dope as hell, nothing like heading to Lombard station when you've decided it's time to clear out the quarry or the brotherhood. Finally getting a chance to use all the Plasma grenades and 50.BMG you've been hoarding

Clearing the BoS bunker is when I dust off all the C4 I found. Place charges in key locations in floors 1 and 2, activate the self destruct, use the detonator and just see the XP rise.

Halser fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Is Freeside Open alright? I used it back in the day, but I've read everywhere that it hasn't aged well at all (and I remember it being kind of screwy back in the day).
I've never had a problem with Strip Open but from what I understand getting rid of that wall was a pretty easy fix and it doesn't really change much, unlike mashing together the two Freeside cells.

never had issues with either personally, but YMMV.

I heard they conflict heavily with quest mods, but I don't ever use those so it doesn't matter. If you had to only pick one, Strip Open feels more important to me, those walls are awful.