Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theris
Oct 9, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I actually can't find a good source comparing current Xeon's and consumer grade products die sizes so I'm not sure on this.

My understanding was that consumer desktop i3/5/7s were high leakage mobile parts, but I guess they could be high leakage Xeons, too. The only figure I can find for all three is quad core Ivy Bridge at 160mm² for mobile, desktop, and Xeon, which would suggest that they are all the same die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Palladium posted:

Audiophiles make anything in consumer PC look like real bargain.

Exactly. The dudes that buy the fastest CPU and GPU every year or do stupid things like quad SLI are paying in the hundreds to low thousands for for marginal, but measurable (and sometimes even perceptible!) performance improvements. Audiophiles will pay tens of thousands for poo poo that doesn't do a goddamn thing.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I love cats posted:

Six months ago when RX480 was released, AMD touted that 1080p gaming is where it is at, and buying that, you buy into the future.

I remember them saying they were focusing on mainstream/1080p because that's where the volume is.

quote:

Now, with Zen, they say 1440p and 4k is where it is that and it is buying into the feature. And people just eat that poo poo up and don't take a total of a second to consider that contradiction? AMD basically tell people, oh well, go play your video games with a zen and rx480 combo and enjoy that terrible fps. It is the future!

There's no contradiction because the 480 and R7 are aimed at different market segments. I'm sure AMD would love if you bought an R7 and paired it with a 480 but basically no one is doing that, they aren't "just eating that poo poo up," they're getting 1070s and 1080s like anyone sane would if they're spending that much on a CPU and plan to use it for gaming.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Ship inflation never really stopped, modern destroyers are as big as WWII heavy cruisers.

• Locked thread