Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Kind of an aside, but I think HBO needs to put its money where its mouth is and offer a freely-accessible ad-and-sponsor-free daily news program download that people could watch at their leisure, wherever they are. If they're going to make a preachy program about how all the integrity has gone out of the news media, they certainly have the name recognition and money to do something better than the "to the cornfield" programs for veteran newsmen like "Dan Rather Reports."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Just a reminder that the show will be back on in two days with:

-Glenn Greenwald
-Jennifer Granholm
-Steve Schmidt
-James Carville
-Mary Matalin

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Awesome. I hope Carville brings one of his sick polos :ohdear:

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Carville's purple polo was pretty amazing. I wonder how many episodes in until we get a scream fest episode.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

beep by grandpa posted:

Awesome. I hope Carville brings one of his sick polos :ohdear:

Purple, green, and yellow.

Plus his accent finally got thick enough nobody had a clue what he was saying. Cajun style!

e: and apparently Mary Matalin's been getting into Peggy Noonan's lude stash.

e2: that pussy must be like condensed sunshine and angel whispers because how the gently caress has he stayed married for 20 years to that idiot

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 18, 2014

Spalding
Jul 24, 2005
What is Mary Matalin on?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Spalding posted:

What is Mary Matalin on?

Being a complete whore for Republican ideas in spite of marrying a smart person. She HAS to know that nothing those loving idiots from the neolithic intellectually says can possibly be true, just based on observations and reality. So she's on Intentional Ignorance juice.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Spalding posted:

What is Mary Matalin on?

Yikes I couldn't even look at the screen for some of that. Bill mentioned she almost wasn't on due to some health issue so I assume she was medicated.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jesus, Mary Matalin is hosed up on something.

edit: Seriously, holy poo poo, this is very uncomfortable to watch.

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 18, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spalding posted:

What is Mary Matalin on?

Bill said she'd just had an injury so probably some painkillers, but judging by her behavior she definitely mixed some booze in there too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Bill said she'd just had an injury so probably some painkillers, but judging by her behavior she definitely mixed some booze in there too.

Yeah, you could tell it was off to a rocky start when Bill had to run over to her while she was walking to the desk to keep her from falling over.

Also, how cute Bill, denying you ever hosed Ann Coulter. :allears:

I totally believe you.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, Matalin being unsteady in every respect combined with Schmidt being his usual self really didn't lend to much of an episode---really don't understand the point Bill was trying to make to Greenwald given it is pretty obvious to me Snowden clearly making an illustrative point in those statements even with still marrying it to facts as Greenwald tried to get through to no avail. I mean, even the likes of Watergate wasn't some sort of extreme distant event we can only hem and haw around like the invention of fire or something---almost wish they'd brought up Ellsberg's little Reddit jaunt.

Sucks that VICE isn't coming back until mid-March either---was hoping for a double premiere!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

In the meantime you can get all your hipster/vice related developments off of my new favorite twitter

https://twitter.com/Vice_Is_Hip

Try and guess which are real:

How Morrissey's best friend went into a coma after a car crash but he approved because at least he was a vegetable

Breakdancing Against Violence in Haiti's Most Notorious Slum

What's the Best Kind of Gun to Conceal Inside Your Ladyparts?

Meet the Japanese hipsters having plastic surgery to look like fruit

"I think I just hosed God" - Find out what happened when we gave Ashton Kutcher LSD and locked him inside Warsaw's oldest church overnight

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Yeah, Matalin being unsteady in every respect combined with Schmidt being his usual self really didn't lend to much of an episode---really don't understand the point Bill was trying to make to Greenwald given it is pretty obvious to me Snowden clearly making an illustrative point in those statements even with still marrying it to facts as Greenwald tried to get through to no avail. I mean, even the likes of Watergate wasn't some sort of extreme distant event we can only hem and haw around like the invention of fire or something---almost wish they'd brought up Ellsberg's little Reddit jaunt.

Sucks that VICE isn't coming back until mid-March either---was hoping for a double premiere!

Maher has always written Snowden off as a kook, ever since day one when it was obvious to everyone with two brain cells to rub together that he wasn't screwing around with the claims he was making. I have no idea why he does it, but then again he's still a proud, rabid anti-vaxxer, so Maher is just as capable of being as pigheadedly ignorant as the so-called "un-house trained" Republicans he so often derides.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

nine-gear crow posted:

Maher has always written Snowden off as a kook, ever since day one when it was obvious to everyone with two brain cells to rub together that he wasn't screwing around with the claims he was making. I have no idea why he does it, but then again he's still a proud, rabid anti-vaxxer, so Maher is just as capable of being as pigheadedly ignorant as the so-called "un-house trained" Republicans he so often derides.

I'm sorry, but saying he's anti- vaccine is wrong. He has made it clear what his position is and it's anything but anti-vaccine.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Super Deuce posted:

I'm sorry, but saying he's anti- vaccine is wrong. He has made it clear what his position is and it's anything but anti-vaccine.

While technically it's fair to say he's not a simple anti-vaxxer, he's a skeptic for really dumb reasons, all of which come from the anti-vaxx industry.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

comes along bort posted:

While technically it's fair to say he's not a simple anti-vaxxer, he's a skeptic for really dumb reasons, all of which come from the anti-vaxx industry.

Still not correct. He doesn't feel we should vaccinate for everything. That's not being anti-vaccine.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Super Deuce posted:

He doesn't feel we should vaccinate for everything.

Yes, and his reasons for that are really goddamned stupid since they come from the anti-vaxx industry like conflating bacteria with viruses, and blaming diets and additives like MSG and aspartame for compromised immune systems leading to poo poo like swine flu and MS.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

The Greenwald interview was fantastic if only to see Maher squirm. Or maybe I'm the idiot because I don't see what was crazy about the Snowden quote. Maher getting defensive over Obama's NSA position was also hilarious as you could almost see him regret giving the guy that million.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Space Pussy posted:

The Greenwald interview was fantastic if only to see Maher squirm. Or maybe I'm the idiot because I don't see what was crazy about the Snowden quote. Maher getting defensive over Obama's NSA position was also hilarious as you could almost see him regret giving the guy that million.

Well somehow if you donate to Republican candidates, they pretty much do what their donators want them to. You donate to Obama, and he pretty much just acts like a Republican with 70% of everything anyways.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Supporting, voting for, campaigning for, or even donating to any given Democrat is still superior because Republicans are just flat-out loving evil and do nothing but try to hurt minorities and make poor people poorer and rich people richer. So yeah, even in the case of Obama it's still better than Romney (or literally any Republican).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Apoplexy posted:

Supporting, voting for, campaigning for, or even donating to any given Democrat is still superior because Republicans are just flat-out loving evil and do nothing but try to hurt minorities and make poor people poorer and rich people richer. So yeah, even in the case of Obama it's still better than Romney (or literally any Republican).

In the end you're still getting hosed over by corporate whores though, just keep your money. Only difference with most of them on the national level is the democrats will pretend to give a drat about you, sometimes.

Also, really Bill, like 20 "Christie is fat" jokes? That's just lazy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If you really feel the need to give money to and volunteer for politicians, save it for your local races to keep the flat earthers off the school board and the sheriff's inbred cousin from becoming the soil & water commissioner. Your money goes a lot further there and those idiots actually have more influence over your day to day life.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo, Mary Matalin tripping balls was the greatest thing I've seen all week.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I stared at the screen in disbelief when she said the federal government didn't create any money. I mean, really...minting and such? Even the worst goldbugs I've beheld didn't try to make that kind of statement with the finality of stating that grass is green.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Narcissus1916 posted:

Holy poo poo, Mary Matalin tripping balls was the greatest thing I've seen all week.

Tough to watch, her arguing against more women in politics was mind boggling.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, you see, women are typically liberals (because of the whole thing where Republicans are now firmly pro-rape and anti-abortion (even in the case of the rapes they're so fond of)) and that means women should be discouraged from politics because there's literally zero in the way of ideology behind things anymore: It's all end result, no thought to making palatable the how. That's why you see STATES RIGHTS arguments and then see them immediately abandoned when it comes to something like abortion or gay marriage, because it doesn't actually matter if the states were to choose; they just want gays legally bashed and even one state choosing to allow gay marriage for themselves would be a good thing for people that Republicans hate. A fantastic example of this? Rand Paul. He was bitching and moaning about the surveillance state and Obama using drones so much that he actually filibustered something instead of just THREATENING to filibuster to prevent anything from happening, like Republicans have been doing lately. Well, a few weeks later the Boston marathon was bombed and Rand Paul IMMEDIATELY brought up how drones should be used in America to keep track of everyone at the street level and people like those bombers and even robbery suspects could be asploded with a Hellfire missile and that would be fine by him. Where was the ideological consistency between those two points?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tomapot posted:

Tough to watch, her arguing against more women in politics was mind boggling.

The more there are, the less her services will be needed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I stared at the screen in disbelief when she said the federal government didn't create any money. I mean, really...minting and such? Even the worst goldbugs I've beheld didn't try to make that kind of statement with the finality of stating that grass is green.

To be fair in her klonopin and Bushmills-induced stupor she could've meant it as the federal government doesn't generate money through its operations. Which is also dumb as hell because t-bills have a better return than most stock market indices, to say nothing of the social security trust fund.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know...that was the "steadiest" exchange she had practically all night alongside her cringing defense of "It is cold, what climate change Bill?!" She strikes me as the worst sort of true believer---the one cloaked in airs of sophistication and "charity" versus fuming fundamentalism that at least serves as a smoke signal to those with some modicum of critical thinking skills.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Not really appreciating the blatant misogyny this season so far having an obviously drugged up and now a clearly retarded woman on the panel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Not really appreciating the blatant misogyny this season so far having an obviously drugged up and now a clearly retarded woman on the panel.

Hey man, you leave Willie Nelson alone. :v:

Also, it's not Carly Fiorina's fault she ran HP into the ground during her tenure, then took on Barbra Boxer in a hilariously misguided Senate campaign that somehow involved guys dressed as sheep, Robert Davi, and everyone learning what huge frat boy douchenozzles her kids were. It was like... Government or something...

In all seriousness though, I missed the first half of the panel so I came into it when she went into "I'm just going to agree with everything Bill and Howard Dean say except on climate change" mode. It took me a few minutes to actually realize I was listening to Carly Fiorina talking. It was uncanny.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It was a pathetic panel that would've been far better with Willie and Erin on it, especially the latter to defuse Fiorina's idiocy--OT didn't have much to it either and I was too out of it by the end to even pay attention to their little Board Gag while trying to see who was coming next week on the ticker.

Man, this season is off to a rough start!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey man, you leave Willie Nelson alone. :v:

Also, it's not Carly Fiorina's fault she ran HP into the ground during her tenure, then took on Barbra Boxer in a hilariously misguided Senate campaign that somehow involved guys dressed as sheep, Robert Davi, and everyone learning what huge frat boy douchenozzles her kids were. It was like... Government or something...

In all seriousness though, I missed the first half of the panel so I came into it when she went into "I'm just going to agree with everything Bill and Howard Dean say except on climate change" mode. It took me a few minutes to actually realize I was listening to Carly Fiorina talking. It was uncanny.

Having never heard her speak before it went a long way toward explaining why she nearly destroyed HP, but raised the question how in the hell did they hire her in the first place.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

comes along bort posted:

Having never heard her speak before it went a long way toward explaining why she nearly destroyed HP, but raised the question how in the hell did they hire her in the first place.

The late 90's were a crazy time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

comes along bort posted:

What, was S. E. Cupp on this week?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What was with Fiorina's kids? I don't remember anything about them, but then again I blocked out pretty much anything Fiorina has ever done.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

comes along bort posted:

80% of the guests on this show are clearly retarded. Those are basically the only people that will agree to appear. Why is it misogyny when some of them are women?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

What was with Fiorina's kids? I don't remember anything about them, but then again I blocked out pretty much anything Fiorina has ever done.

Whoops. I accidentally conflated her in my memory with Meg Whitman. Whitman ran for governor of California against Jerry Brown in 2010 and often appeared along side Fiorina because they were both ex-tech company CEOs who also happened to be women and happened to be running for statewide office in California (Whitman used to be EBay's CEO). Whitman's son was a well-documented raging racist who allegedly assaulted a girl at Princeton, and then allegedly raped a second girl and then Princeton allegedly covered it up because Whitman was a big money donor to the school and vice-versa between the school and her campaign.

Fiorina, it turns out, only had a step-daughter who died back in 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I liked Bill's line about how "It's all about vengeance and graft on the east coast" from last week.

Erin Brokovich was a pretty good interview.