Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I just wish every panel had Neil Degrasse Tyson on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Stephen Moore is such a piece of poo poo.

The first clue should have been when they put up that image of his book. Did you see who the co-author was?

Arthur Laffer, of Laffer Curve fame.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

richardfun posted:

He had better be on the panel. I often skip the interview, Maher isn't exactly a great interviewer.

I do as well, but the interview this week was actually pretty interesting.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
Make sure not to miss yesterday's episode if you want to see the smuggest douche ever.

I'm not kidding - he makes PJ O'Rourke look tolerable.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

richardfun posted:

As soon as Bill introduced him, I thought 'huh, I didn't know a human being could be completely made up of douchy smugness.

I found his behaviour alot more tolarable than his appearance though.

Most of what he said was your usual Republican talking point, it was just the way that he said it. His stupid self-satisfied smile every time he said anything made me want to punch him in the kidney.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

IRQ posted:

I want 5 minutes in a dark alley with Grover Norquist and a claw hammer. gently caress that goddamn retarded rear end in a top hat.

e: Eva Longoria is shockingly not an idiot, even pretty good, I'm amazed.

Possibly the greatest indictment of the American educational system is that Grover Norquist graduated from Harvard. His arguments lack even the most basic adherence to things like "logic", let alone an even cursory acknowledgement of confounding variables. Taxes went down, GDP went up, never a miscommunication - you can't explain that.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Former Human posted:

What is left? Tariffs?

Funny you should say this, as tariffs would actually be a fantastic way to both raise government revenue and stimulate American job growth. Also, it'd be a good thing for workers in developing countries.

The only real losers are multinational corporations! Therefore, it'll never happen.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Sinestro posted:

Just watched it on my DVR, and Gillespie was probably the best of the guests. I like Maddow, but she was just irritating this time. I had to turn it off when Bill started talking about GMOs or I would of had a stroke. Did I miss anything good?

You cannot actually be serious.

Gillespie, the "libertarian" who fails to understand economics 101 (protip: textbook capitalism assumes rational actors and perfect information - you cannot, by definition, be a libertarian who supports the rights of corporations to withhold information from consumers) and is the most abrasive and disrespectful person on the show every time he's on it, was the "best guest"?

poo poo, you're the one giving me a stroke.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Did Mark Cuban just say the Chinese did Pearl Harbor?

No, he said that, were there a war between the US and China, the Chinese would not attack us like Pearl Harbor (which is true).

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Politico hack was annoyingly ineffectual with yet more of "the middle" schtick.

That's basically Politico's brand, and it's why everyone loving hates them except politicians and their ilk (who love them because they're the most sycophantic loving douchelords out there, and will act as stenographers for anyone that will give them attention). Gawker has done a lot of lovely pieces on how awful their "journalism" is.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Fragmented posted:

Just let the other person talk loving christ! I liked the guy at the start though. It's tough because i hate Monsanto with the heat of a thousand suns, but i also know that without GMO food a bunch of people will starve. It's like a corporation of bad guys from a bond film is in charge of keeping the world's population alive.

I find myself being forced to divorce GMOs from Monsanto because GMOs have a lot of potential merit in society (and the current generation, at least, is perfectly safe) but Monsanto is almost cartoonishly evil. I wish there'd be another company that was committed to GMOs without being douches (and not Dow Chemical either, their plan of "let's use agent orange as a pesticide" doesn't fly with me).

Also, Joe Scarborough is misogynist filth and I don't want him on this show.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Just looked her up. Apparently she's an atheist who would never vote for an atheist president.

:what:

Her whole adult life is a case study in shameless niche-filling and self-promotion, but the sad part is that it worked. The show she's on (The Cycle) is pretty good for a mid-day news show, but she's insufferable during it and is dragged upward into mediocrity by her panelmates (toure in particular, dude owns).

And yeah, her book is complete garbage - falls apart under even the lightest scrutiny and was essentially written to establish her as an acceptable atheist for Fox News shows. The level of doublethink horseshit is astonishing.

Excited about James Carville, though. He's a terrible panel guest because you can't understand a single word he says, but he's always funny.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

watt par posted:

Apart from Rula Jebreal that sounds like a terrible panel.

Steve LaTourette's my now-ex-congressperson and he's not actually that bad, he quit this year and made a bunch of "the republicans suck rear end" comments to the media afterward. He probably won't be exciting, but he's certainly not as bad as Dana Rohrabacher or whatever his name is.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

escape artist posted:

Holy poo poo! I love(d) Dennis. What has he done?!

After a lifetime of doing the right thing and not getting paid, he's finally getting his. I'm all for it.

Plus, if anyone's going to represent liberals to people who hate them, it might as well be someone that's actually a liberal.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

watt par posted:

Also, why are they calling Jon Meacham a historian? He has no background in the field and he's only written a couple lovely presidential biographies full of conventional wisdom they teach in high school.

Because describing him as "the guy that runs magazines into the ground" would be too honest.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I finally watched the show from last Friday. I read through the thread first, but I was like "how bad can it REALLY be"?

Uh... well, at least I got an answer to that.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's essentially random noise with no real trend.

Or, as we like to call it, "solid evidence".

Them's politics.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Fragmented posted:

Edit: His "Insightful" speech about how the assassination of Lincoln bringing the country together was a bit out there though even if it led to a hilarious response from West. I don't really know where he was going with that.

I think that he was attempting to go in this general direction - assassinating Lincoln brought two different sides of the country together in that both sides went "whoa that's not cool", and so having white supremacists from places of influence in the halls of congress should also be one of those things that both parties can go "whoa that's not cool" about. It didn't really get the point across, but I kind of get the sentiment underneath it. It's like how wars bring countries together, only it has somewhat less death.

Also, did I miss something on the leather suit thing? All I saw was a jacket, which is definitely not Eddie Murphy by any stretch. (I actually kind of liked it, it was much better than the ill-fitting one that Gillespie always has on which makes him look like a child molester)

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

If people could chose their own schools wouldn't white people just chose schools with the least amount of black people?

They'd choose the "best" schools based on academics/sports/whatever, but this would have essentially the same effect barring some sort of affirmative action program for these schools.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Ugh, who the gently caress are these two useless tits on the panel? CATO's junior league?

I think one of them writes for Reason, which shouldn't surprise anyone. (It's the site that gave us Man In A Comically Terrible Jacket, Nick Gillespie)

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

comes along bort posted:

The Simpson-Bowles catfood commission is a good start. Obamacare is another.

I think the quintessential example is the immigration bill. One side wants a path to citizenship and so on, the other side DEMANDS ALL FOREIGNERS TO BE GONE AMERICA FOR AMERICANS.

The result is a bill that provides a path to citizenship, but that path takes several decades to travel. This path is contingent upon vastly increased spending on "border security", which is a pointless waste of time that doesn't produce results. It fast-tracks STEM graduates (and let me tell you, the "shortage of STEM graduates" is bullshit propagated by tech companies who want to pay lower wages) in exchange for increased funding of "worker verification systems".

Essentially, it's a bill that pleases neither side, and that displeasure pleases the middle people. They do not view compromise as a means to an end, but an end in and of itself. Compromise is the optimal outcome, regardless of how lovely that compromise is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, here's some interesting Real Time-related news, Ronan Farrow is almost definitely gonna lose his MSNBC morning show because he's boring as poo poo, doesn't appeal to young people and his only interesting quality is "I might be Woody Allen's kid... I dunno." Ie: what we all learned about him three weeks ago when he let Darrell Issa stomp a rhetorical mud hole in his rear end.

I watched this show once and they're not exaggerating in the least. I usually have news on in the background while I'm working, and his is the worst show by a wide margin.

As far as this week's episode goes, Alex Wagner gets a lot of credit from me for not putting up with the bullshit or doing the sort of "shake your head and laugh softly while they take over" thing that other guests do. Especially good this week, because there was a lot of nonsense coming out of the other two.