Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Bill Maher, that loving Christianophobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
The guy Brian Levin or whatever who Bill interviewed is loving retarded.

Maher, "Could they do the Book of Islam on Broadway?" As apposed to the Book of Mormon.
Levin, "Possibly so."

I can't believe he answered that with a straight face. People in this country need to stop being in denial of poo poo thats factually true. Whether its this issue, the global warming issue, the healthcare issue, guns, you name it. Its bullshit, just like what Bill said.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

richardfun posted:

To me, Ferguson topped all of those. His sheer arrogance and bald faced contempt for anyone who dared disagree with him made my blood boil.

At one point, the documentary guy points out that Ferguson won't let him finish a single sentence and that he is being rather impolite. It's hard to make out what Ferguson says in reply exactly, but it's something along the lines of 'you get as much time to talk as I think you deserve'.
Agreed. People like Ferguson saying that the U.S. should get into another war in that region of the globe after the disastrous Iraq/Afganistan wars are completely insane. The question he also posed to Bill, "Does the U.S. have a moral obligation to do nothing even after 90,000+ people are dead already" or something of that sort was just dumb to start with. But I'll answer it anyway.

Yes, we shouldn't do anything about it militarily. The two recent wars we got into nearly destroyed our economy & single handily made the entire world loose respect/hate us, and it's not our job to police the world to begin with. The focus of the U.S. from here on out is domestic policy, not foreign policy.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Jastiger posted:

He really detests the Islamic world though, and I do share a lot of his sympathies and feel like he should really get out there and talk about why he feels that way. He comes off as if he hates all Muslim folk which I don't think he does, just the idea of extreme Islam in general.
I assume you're talking about Maher. He does talk about how he feels the way he does on the Muslim issue. He is also one of the very few people out there who confronts the media on their hypocritical bullshit when it comes to criticizing Christianity and not Islam.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

TLG James posted:

SE Cupp is pretty lovely and useless overall.

And it looks like she is getting another show. CROSS FIRE WITH NEWT GINGRICH/CUPP on one side...
Any word on which timeslot this is going to take? This is actually going to be good for CNN. A lot of people are going to tune in for just how much they hate Gingrich, for the same reason people watched Beck / O'reilly.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Seriously when the gently caress are Climate change deniers going to receive the same treatment as Holocaust deniers?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
I believe that was religion saying the world was flat, not scientists. If I remember correctly, the Catholic Church at one time said it was blasphemy to say otherwise.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Rousimar Pauladeen posted:

For those of you who loathe Bill Maher or just like to see audiences boo his lovely jokes he decided to do George Zimmerman material on Letterman last night. It went about as well as you expect.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-mahers-zimmerman-jokes-draw-series-of-boos-from-david-letterman-crowd-2/
:stonklol: If he seriously devotes his entire show tonight covering the Zimmerman Verdict with these stupid jokes then it's going to be a long show. The part where Letterman looked at his watch was loving perfect, well done sir.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
:lol::lol: The look on the faces of those two conservatives when Dan Savage was talking about homosexuality was loving priceless. I was waiting for Maher to say something about it, and he did!

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

tyler is a joke posted:

Yes how dare a man made famous for writing a humorous and vulgarly detailed sex column about his life, a man who once engineered the internet so that when you google Santorum it tells you it's the frothy mix of semen and fecal matter that results from anal sex, how dare he come onto a comedy-news-panel show and be funny and vulgar about his sex life in the context of a discussion of Human Rights. Why, this wasn't expected at all!
:laffo: Oh my dear loving God that's beautiful. I never knew this, I just googled "Santorum" and it's the fourth result down.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

TLG James posted:

How did you guys missed when Santorum blamed google for it, and saying if it was Obama it would have been removed.
I guess I missed it then. :( Information flies by pretty fast these days.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Bill Maher posted:

Explain to me how a book that’s written by God who’s perfect has so much – it’s pro-slavery, pro-polygamy, it’s homophobic. Yeah, God in the Old Testament is a psychotic mass-murderer. You know, this, I mean, there’s so many things in it. And I always say to my religious friends, you know, if a pool had even one turd in it, would you jump in?
I got a pretty good laugh from that part. I also liked the part how the guy on the panel said that people can take the exact same specific verse from the bible and use it to justify two completely separate points of view.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
The New Rules segment this time was pretty good, especially the part about the rich buying elections/states.

Edit: I also seriously cannot believe that guy on the panel said "concern trolling" on TV.

Devour fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 3, 2013

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much. It was like Barney was arguing with Abby Huntsman or something. What's worse was the stupid poo poo they argued about :
:words:
I mean Jesus Christ.
I agree with Barney Frank on all of this. The occupy girl & Jay-Z were totally ignorant on every issue here.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Anyone think Howard Stern is going to respond to Maher talking about him tonight?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Former Human posted:

Stern is such a "pussy" that he talked about Maher's statements for 20 minutes on Monday. And anyone who thinks Stern would lose his role on AGT for being controversial on his radio show is being silly.

I missed this. Was Stern pissed off at what Maher said? Because I remember watching Maher on Stern twelve years ago and Stern was pretty pissed at Maher about his 9/11 comments. I'm pretty sure that they have never been on each others shows since. There has got to be at some animosity still lingering around.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Zogo posted:

I was glad Bill touched on the latest weekly gun disaster. I was tired of hearing many on TV purporting that one couldn't kill dozens with a rudimentary shotgun. It was also another healthy reminder that security guards with guns are not some sort of panacea like the NRA has been touting. The notion that introducing more guns into an environment may escalate the chaos is a foreign concept to many. I haven't found an article yet that's detailed whether or not Aaron Alexis used the Beretta he took from the security guard he shot to kill any of the dozen however.
I'm glad he did this too. It just goes to show that pretty much any kind of gun is capable of mass murder. I really don't see how talking heads on the news really believe that an AR-15 is the only legal weapon in America that's capable of killing a dozen people with a few seconds. We've all seen the movies, a loving handgun could easily take out a dozen people.

Zogo posted:

Hasn't that already started to happen?
Yes, it has. When I still worked in the restaurant industry a few months ago they were already cutting the hours of people that have even been there for 10+ years with the company. It was obvious that they were weeding out people that had problems with 30 hours or less.

Pretty hosed up.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
I like it when Bill Maher confronts the politically correct bullshit in regards to Islam and this time we had two of it's biggest apologists on, Moore & Sharpton.

Michael Moore is such an insufferable shithead. When Maher was pointing out that women have virtually no rights in the muslim world, Moore responds with a rape statistic we have here in the United States. Moore completely knew what Maher was saying, as in women have RIGHTS here such as being able to work, vote, wear what they want, marry WHO they want. etc. and yet he chose to play dumb, because he knew what he was saying was true.

Of course Sharpton took the line straight out of the SJW handbook & said "all religions have wackos, not just Islam!". It's also hilarious how both of them said Christian Wackos are just as dangerous as Muslim Wackos with straight faces.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

If America were subject to a few decades of foreign-bankrolled tinpot dictatorships and constant third world poverty the Southern Baptist Convention and their ilk would be flying planes into buildings and blowing up shopping malls too. As it is they've had to settle for blowing up abortion clinics and the occasional shooting.
Women have no rights in the middle east along with people being executed for leaving the Muslim faith because of America, news at 11.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

Hmm...I kinda remember this other country loving about in Afghanistan for a while, but the name escapes me.
Because women had rights and people weren't executed for leaving the Muslim faith before America was ever in the Middle East, correct?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

It's as if you're genetically predisposed to completely missing the point.
No, you're missing the point. You're trying to get me to defend "American Exceptionalism" talking points when that's not what I'm arguing. You, and most people who apologize for Islamic terrorism or Islam in general typically bring up US foreign policy first.

People like you disgust me in general. You act as if one criticizes Christianity he's an intellectual, if one criticizes Islam then he's a bigot. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

AShamefulDisplay posted:

The Middle East is not the entirety of the Muslim world.
Never said it was.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

But I guess I shouldnt expect nuance from some dumbass who thinks that a country with 11% Muslim population is somehow a Muslim country.
What country are you referring too?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Holy gently caress you are dense.
Yes because Islamic Theocracies have had such an amazing human rights' track record before the US ever showed up, specifically in regards with women and leaving the faith.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

AShamefulDisplay posted:

You are equating the Middle East with the Muslim World.
If this bothers you then you know what I'm saying about the Middle east is true.

You'll also notice when I said that I the conversation wasn't explicitly talking about Kenya. It was about Muslims targeting Non-Muslims in the third world, and each other. You know, the Sunni & Shia stuff.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Not at all. The problem with your argument is that these issues you are trying to pass of as Islamic issues are ones that are a feature of the developing world, and are not inherently problems with Islam. Look at how women are treated in India, South Africa, all across South America, China, etc. All of these countries have something in common that has nothing to do with Islam: colonialism.
:sigh:

http://www.examiner.com/article/study-muslims-favor-sharia-death-penalty-for-leaving-islam

quote:

A new study from the Pew Research Center shows that a majority of Muslims favor sharia law, and majorities in six countries support the death penalty for anyone who leaves Islam.

The new study, released April 30, and entitled "The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society," offers a comprehensive look at the views and attitudes of Muslims around the world. Pew surveyed Muslims in 38 countries from Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

The study shows that approximately two-thirds of Middle Eastern Muslims favor the death penalty for apostates (those who leave Islam). According to Pew’s data, 78 percent of Afghan Muslims say they support laws condemning to death anyone who gives up Islam. In both Egypt and Pakistan, 64 percent report holding this view. This is also the majority view among Muslims in Malaysia, Jordan and the Palestinian territories.

However, the view that apostates deserve the death penalty is rare among Central Asian and European Muslims. Only 6 percent of Russian Muslims agree that converts from Islam should face death, as do 1 percent of Albanian Muslims and 0.5 percent of Kazakhs.

The study also shows that sharia law enjoys overwhelming support, with over three quarters of respondents in the Middle East and North Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia wanting legal issues to be resolved in Sharia courts.

While suicide bombings are rejected by most Muslims, it remains a popular vehicle of protest among sizable minorities in Palestine (40 per cent), Afghanistan (39 per cent), Egypt (29 per cent) and Bangladesh (26 per cent).

As one might expect, sexual attitudes in the Muslim world remain very conservative. Three quarters of all respondents said abortion was wrong and 80 percent thought homosexuality was a sin. Majorities in every country said that wives should obey their husbands.

Conservative critics complain the survey is flawed because it omits Saudi Arabia, Iran and Sudan. Critics argue that by leaving out perhaps the three most sharia compliant countries in the world, home cumatively to nearly 150 million Muslims, the data is skewed to mask and minimize data offensive to Western sensibilities.

Nevertheless, the study paints an alarming if not surprising picture of Islam in the Muslim world. The data is particularly disturbing for atheists, agnostics and other freethinkers.
Saying these aren't inherently problems with Islam is just being intellectually dishonest on your part, quite a bit lazy too. OF COURSE poverty is a cause for the violence & instability throughout the Muslim World as a result of colonialism, but it's far from the only cause. Pointing that out makes the politically correct machine go crazy. Also, this is excluding Iran, Saudi Arabia & Sudan which are well known to be the worse offenders.

Also, according to you that it's not inherently a problem with Islam, please explain why Islam receives a double standard in the Media when Christianity does not. You think the Qur'an could've had a good reception on Broadway the same way the Book of Mormon did? Of course not, because people are afraid that Muslims will retaliate.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Yes, and the same is true for a whole host for religions in general. Hell, look at the misogyny in the modern Atheist movement. Colonialism didnt invent patriarchy, but neither did Islam.
Moral equivalency without addressing the point, again.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

e: The Mexican Drug War alone accounts for more deaths per day on average than Islamic terrorism as a whole, only accounting for the official statistics and not the known kidnappings, who knows how many of which are dead. Yet Dick Dorkins and Maher aren't constantly bitching about the Mexicans' inherent religious or cultural problems at the root of all that violence.
You're not considering the amount of deaths that occur under Sharia Law. Or the Sunni/Shia conflict either. I'd ask you to stop cherrypicking, but then again I'm not sure what your definition of Islamic terrorism is either. If you're only counting attacks that occur in western countries than yeah you're probably right with those numbers.

Also, maybe Maher & Dawkins aren't bitching about religious violence in the Mexican Drug War because religion has virtually nothing to do with the drug war. You seriously can't be this stupid.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

Ah, the king of irony returns.

comes along bort posted:

Actually India has an extremely high number of terrorist attacks.
The biggest factor is the lack of stability in the Indian government.
Yep.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

HipGnosis posted:

Just anyone calling Dawkins out on his racist bullshit would have been nice.
Are you referring to his tweets about Muslims? Last I checked that is a religion, not a race.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

HipGnosis posted:

No, it was Dawkins who was collapsing Muslims with a specific race. Which is in itself racist.

It's also what they were doing throughout the show. No one here believes when they were talking about "Muslims being blinded by religion" or "wanting to kill us" they were speaking about the most populous Muslim nation, Indonesia, surely?
In that tweet when he said Muslims did great things in the Middle Ages he was referring to the Golden Age of Islam (800-1100) while also mocking how that era was utterly destroyed and never recovered by religious fanatics such as Al-Ghazali who rejected virtually all forms of liberalism & free thought. The influence of his philosophy still has corrosive effects within Islam till this day. And yes Muslims in Indonesia are very conservative, perhaps you missed the link that guy had a few posts back that showed the majority of Muslims there want alcohol illegal and how they're trying to implement prohibition along with all other kinds of batshit under Sharia Law.

Also if the general consensus deemed Dawkin's statements racist then you bet your rear end Sharpton would've jumped on that opportunity in order to label him a racist on the show.

Please educate yourself.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

HipGnosis posted:

I...ugh...nah..just nah...
I know, it's hard to argue with facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

Not really appreciating the blatant misogyny this season so far having an obviously drugged up and now a clearly retarded woman on the panel.

You can't be serious.