Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Totally missed that on the guest lineup---thought Moore was the only big name.

Real Time is definitely going to be interesting this week if the shutdown is still a thing by then, though I think they are on break next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Also next week is Dawkins AND Sharpton? Gotta watch that one.

Two weeks to be specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ErV3i1S-Q Christopher Hitchens vs. Al Sharpton

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Ya they're on break this week. Has anyone ever gotten tickets to the show? I requested some a few weeks ago and wasn't sure when they notified you if you got them.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Steinuh posted:

Ya they're on break this week. Has anyone ever gotten tickets to the show? I requested some a few weeks ago and wasn't sure when they notified you if you got them.

Give it time. I called them 3 weeks out for some tickets and they called 4 days before. They also returned all three of my calls. 4 days before each of the shows, but they returned them all. That was too short notice for me so I didn't take them. No idea if by e-mail works any better.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Ya I emailed them a few weeks ago but mostly looking to get some the weekend of Blizzcon to go with some Goons. I'll give them a call to see if that's better.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zogo posted:

Two weeks to be specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ErV3i1S-Q Christopher Hitchens vs. Al Sharpton

Thats not a Real Time though...

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
This is making the rounds care of whatever PR department handles Maher's social media:

http://instagram.com/p/flr6fOSUPT/

Bill Maher and Woody Harrellson apparently smoking a big joint. How long do you think until LAPD busts his rear end? Oh wait, they're wealthy and white, never-mind.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 18, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Nothing happened to Zach Galafanakis for sparking up on air.

They care about the *dealers* and busting teenagers. And if it went to trial, there's no way they could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that 1) that's pot, and 2) that he did nothing other than hold it.

You also forget that the LAPD never seriously goes after celebrities.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I don't believe Zach Galafanakis smoked real weed on the show. I know a guest said "lol smells real!" but I don't buy it.

Maher even confirmed afterwards (to CNN in a tangential interview) that it was cloves and Maher doesn't seem like someone that would try to save face by lying about that.

Not to get anal but that photo, if it was someone else smoking and it was found in an investigation, could be used as probable cause for a search warrant. Same as seeing a joint through a window. I'm just saying LAPD wouldn't ignore it if they saw someone smoking something like that.

It's nice that him and his PR firm thinks weed is becoming accepted enough across the country to post that though. :) That is a positive.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

This is making the rounds care of whatever PR department handles Maher's social media:

http://instagram.com/p/flr6fOSUPT/

Bill Maher and Woody Harrellson apparently smoking a big joint. How long do you think until LAPD busts his rear end? Oh wait, they're wealthy and white, never-mind.

A blurry washed out photo of a guy holding a joint. Im sure their best detective would be on that case if he were black.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
So is everyone on CNBC just a complete shithead?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Business "journalism" self-selects for a certain type, yes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

So is everyone on CNBC just a complete shithead?

Watch some Jim Cramer clips from "Mad Money" on Youtube, then watch the interview he had with Jon Stewart where he basically bobbleheads the entire time to criticisms of his show and methodology...then goes back to doing everything he was being lambasted for.

CNBC exists solely to benefit high-cap investors who bet *against* the people who are big enough suckers to believe talking heads care about *them* making money. The only truth one ever gets from "business" channels are the market indices, and you can get more current ones on your phone.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 20, 2013

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

For the lineup last night the show was kind of a dud. The "just exactly how evil are muslims" debate has been done ~15 times on the show and it's less interesting every time. The only thing I learned was that Dawkins was an Elvis fan.

It surprises me that in 2013 this ACA site could fail at this level. I'd be interested in reading the actual technical failings concerning it but every article on it seems to be partisan BS with Republicans acting like it's the worst disaster in US history or Democrats diminishing it to the point you'd think most web sites on the internet regularly failed their basic functions.

OT was more informative.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only truth one ever gets from "business" channels are the market indices, and you can get more current ones on your phone.

Fox News says that they give me the "power to prosper" but when I look at their typical show lineup it's littered with infomercial shows like:

-Brazil Butt Lift
-I hate my butt!
-Never rake again!
-Quit your job!

Actual show names.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Actually there's been a lot written about CGI Federal and QSSI the past couple weeks. You're right though in that a lot of the problem now is everyone pointing the finger at everyone else and not willing to take the blame for their own fuckups. The problem's the same as it always is with the contracting process involving separate systems developed by different companies having to work together.

Also yeah Dick Dorkins is the last person who needs to be speaking out about the evils of Islam. He's basically one step removed from Pamela Geller at this point.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 26, 2013

Alice Liddell
Sep 14, 2004

I want to forget!
Who would choose to be alone, imprisoned by their broken memories?
Maajid Nawaz was actually an incredibly interesting guest and had a good panel discussion on the overtime segment and now I feel like reading his book about leaving fundamentalist Islam.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
I like it when Bill Maher confronts the politically correct bullshit in regards to Islam and this time we had two of it's biggest apologists on, Moore & Sharpton.

Michael Moore is such an insufferable shithead. When Maher was pointing out that women have virtually no rights in the muslim world, Moore responds with a rape statistic we have here in the United States. Moore completely knew what Maher was saying, as in women have RIGHTS here such as being able to work, vote, wear what they want, marry WHO they want. etc. and yet he chose to play dumb, because he knew what he was saying was true.

Of course Sharpton took the line straight out of the SJW handbook & said "all religions have wackos, not just Islam!". It's also hilarious how both of them said Christian Wackos are just as dangerous as Muslim Wackos with straight faces.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If America were subject to a few decades of foreign-bankrolled tinpot dictatorships and constant third world poverty the Southern Baptist Convention and their ilk would be flying planes into buildings and blowing up shopping malls too. As it is they've had to settle for blowing up abortion clinics and the occasional shooting.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Wow I didnt know dick dorkins had an SA account

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Out of curiosity, what Christian group was Valerie Plame talking about when the subject turned to Christian Extremism (or lack thereof)?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

She was talking about Christian Dominionism, which seems kind of straw man-ish to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Theology

There's a few alarmist click bait articles on liberal click bait factory websites about them as but as far as I can tell fears about them are mostly contrived nonsense.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pryor on Fire posted:

She was talking about Christian Dominionism, which seems kind of straw man-ish to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Theology

There's a few alarmist click bait articles on liberal click bait factory websites about them as but as far as I can tell fears about them are mostly contrived nonsense.

Nah it's definitely a part of the overall mish-mash of theology at places like Regent/ORU/Liberty whose law schools give us a significant percentage of our republican elected officials and their staffers. They're not as prevalent as they were when Bush was in charge and a lot of those people were given free reign in various federal agencies, but there's still a number working their way through state governments. But that's more to do with conservative christianity's overall numbers dwindling.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

If America were subject to a few decades of foreign-bankrolled tinpot dictatorships and constant third world poverty the Southern Baptist Convention and their ilk would be flying planes into buildings and blowing up shopping malls too. As it is they've had to settle for blowing up abortion clinics and the occasional shooting.
Women have no rights in the middle east along with people being executed for leaving the Muslim faith because of America, news at 11.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Women have no rights in the middle east along with people being executed for leaving the Muslim faith because of America, news at 11.

Hmm...I kinda remember this other country loving about in Afghanistan for a while, but the name escapes me.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

Hmm...I kinda remember this other country loving about in Afghanistan for a while, but the name escapes me.
Because women had rights and people weren't executed for leaving the Muslim faith before America was ever in the Middle East, correct?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Because women had rights and people weren't executed for leaving the Muslim faith before America was ever in the Middle East, correct?

It's as if you're genetically predisposed to completely missing the point.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

It's as if you're genetically predisposed to completely missing the point.
No, you're missing the point. You're trying to get me to defend "American Exceptionalism" talking points when that's not what I'm arguing. You, and most people who apologize for Islamic terrorism or Islam in general typically bring up US foreign policy first.

People like you disgust me in general. You act as if one criticizes Christianity he's an intellectual, if one criticizes Islam then he's a bigot. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

The Middle East is not the entirety of the Muslim world.

But I guess I shouldnt expect nuance from some dumbass who thinks that a country with 11% Muslim population is somehow a Muslim country.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

No, you're missing the point. You're trying to get me to defend "American Exceptionalism" talking points when that's not what I'm arguing. You, and most people who apologize for Islamic terrorism or Islam in general typically bring up US foreign policy first.

People like you disgust me in general. You act as if one criticizes Christianity he's an intellectual, if one criticizes Islam then he's a bigot. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Holy gently caress you are dense.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

AShamefulDisplay posted:

The Middle East is not the entirety of the Muslim world.
Never said it was.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

But I guess I shouldnt expect nuance from some dumbass who thinks that a country with 11% Muslim population is somehow a Muslim country.
What country are you referring too?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Settle down, Beavis.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Holy gently caress you are dense.
Yes because Islamic Theocracies have had such an amazing human rights' track record before the US ever showed up, specifically in regards with women and leaving the faith.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Never said it was.

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

women have virtually no rights in the muslim world,

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

You are equating the Middle East with the Muslim World.

quote:

What country are you referring too?

Kenya

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Yes because Islamic Theocracies have had such an amazing human rights' track record before the US ever showed up, specifically in regards with women and leaving the faith.

No worse than the Western World until about, say, 30 years ago.

Oh, you mean actual theocracies? The only actual theocracies in the Muslim world are few and far between since the advent of Colonialism.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

AShamefulDisplay posted:

You are equating the Middle East with the Muslim World.
If this bothers you then you know what I'm saying about the Middle east is true.

You'll also notice when I said that I the conversation wasn't explicitly talking about Kenya. It was about Muslims targeting Non-Muslims in the third world, and each other. You know, the Sunni & Shia stuff.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

If this bothers you then you know what I'm saying about the Middle east is true.
Not at all. The problem with your argument is that these issues you are trying to pass of as Islamic issues are ones that are a feature of the developing world, and are not inherently problems with Islam. Look at how women are treated in India, South Africa, all across South America, China, etc. All of these countries have something in common that has nothing to do with Islam: colonialism.

quote:

You'll also notice when I said that I the conversation wasn't explicitly talking about Kenya. It was about Muslims targeting Non-Muslims in the third world, and each other. You know, the Sunni & Shia stuff.

Fair enough, but again this is a feature of ex-colonial societies and is not an inherent problem of Islam.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

AShamefulDisplay posted:

not inherently problems with Islam.

The Quran puts men in power over women, just as any set of rules from seventh century Arabia would. Colonialism didn't invent patriarchy.

Anyway, Al Sharpton looks like he's starving to death and Bill Maher is coloring his hair again.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

The Quran puts men in power over women, just as any set of rules from seventh century Arabia would. Colonialism didn't invent patriarchy.

Yes, and the same is true for a whole host for religions in general. Hell, look at the misogyny in the modern Atheist movement. Colonialism didnt invent patriarchy, but neither did Islam.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Not at all. The problem with your argument is that these issues you are trying to pass of as Islamic issues are ones that are a feature of the developing world, and are not inherently problems with Islam. Look at how women are treated in India, South Africa, all across South America, China, etc. All of these countries have something in common that has nothing to do with Islam: colonialism.
:sigh:

http://www.examiner.com/article/study-muslims-favor-sharia-death-penalty-for-leaving-islam

quote:

A new study from the Pew Research Center shows that a majority of Muslims favor sharia law, and majorities in six countries support the death penalty for anyone who leaves Islam.

The new study, released April 30, and entitled "The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society," offers a comprehensive look at the views and attitudes of Muslims around the world. Pew surveyed Muslims in 38 countries from Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

The study shows that approximately two-thirds of Middle Eastern Muslims favor the death penalty for apostates (those who leave Islam). According to Pew’s data, 78 percent of Afghan Muslims say they support laws condemning to death anyone who gives up Islam. In both Egypt and Pakistan, 64 percent report holding this view. This is also the majority view among Muslims in Malaysia, Jordan and the Palestinian territories.

However, the view that apostates deserve the death penalty is rare among Central Asian and European Muslims. Only 6 percent of Russian Muslims agree that converts from Islam should face death, as do 1 percent of Albanian Muslims and 0.5 percent of Kazakhs.

The study also shows that sharia law enjoys overwhelming support, with over three quarters of respondents in the Middle East and North Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia wanting legal issues to be resolved in Sharia courts.

While suicide bombings are rejected by most Muslims, it remains a popular vehicle of protest among sizable minorities in Palestine (40 per cent), Afghanistan (39 per cent), Egypt (29 per cent) and Bangladesh (26 per cent).

As one might expect, sexual attitudes in the Muslim world remain very conservative. Three quarters of all respondents said abortion was wrong and 80 percent thought homosexuality was a sin. Majorities in every country said that wives should obey their husbands.

Conservative critics complain the survey is flawed because it omits Saudi Arabia, Iran and Sudan. Critics argue that by leaving out perhaps the three most sharia compliant countries in the world, home cumatively to nearly 150 million Muslims, the data is skewed to mask and minimize data offensive to Western sensibilities.

Nevertheless, the study paints an alarming if not surprising picture of Islam in the Muslim world. The data is particularly disturbing for atheists, agnostics and other freethinkers.
Saying these aren't inherently problems with Islam is just being intellectually dishonest on your part, quite a bit lazy too. OF COURSE poverty is a cause for the violence & instability throughout the Muslim World as a result of colonialism, but it's far from the only cause. Pointing that out makes the politically correct machine go crazy. Also, this is excluding Iran, Saudi Arabia & Sudan which are well known to be the worse offenders.

Also, according to you that it's not inherently a problem with Islam, please explain why Islam receives a double standard in the Media when Christianity does not. You think the Qur'an could've had a good reception on Broadway the same way the Book of Mormon did? Of course not, because people are afraid that Muslims will retaliate.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Yes, and the same is true for a whole host for religions in general. Hell, look at the misogyny in the modern Atheist movement. Colonialism didnt invent patriarchy, but neither did Islam.
Moral equivalency without addressing the point, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Nah it's definitely a part of the overall mish-mash of theology at places like Regent/ORU/Liberty whose law schools give us a significant percentage of our republican elected officials and their staffers. They're not as prevalent as they were when Bush was in charge and a lot of those people were given free reign in various federal agencies, but there's still a number working their way through state governments. But that's more to do with conservative christianity's overall numbers dwindling.

Also, I'm more worried about militias and white supremacist groups using the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as an urban warfare training ground: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/08/08/ex-guardsman-tells-of-training-white-supremacists.html

And Iran makes Saudi Arabia look prehistoric:

التعامل معها

(Google Translate doesn't have Farsi :()

And no, goddamnit, before it sparks another "I'm more liberal in my sympathies than you" pissing contest, I'm not saying women have it *better* in Iran, but they can drive and are trusted with firearms and rapelling gear.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 27, 2013