Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

escape artist posted:

I wouldn't call Chris Hayes a hack, by any means.

Yeah, Hayes' own show is half-decent. About the only thing on cable news worth bothering with, though he gets the occasional nutbar conservative or super-Zionist and everything just shuts down there as well.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Does this kid remind anyone else of Bill S. Preston, Esq.?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Oh boy next week's panel looks like a doozy. Corey Black Superman Booker, James Cajun Style Carville, Andrew Bugchaser Sullivan, and SE Cupp. Either gonna be three Obamanauts trash talking the token republican or SE Cupp implodes in a black hole of smugness. Appointment TV either way, and better than the inane talking head-fest this week.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Well that didn't take long.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I do love when conservatives get all uppity over Obama continuing the worst parts of Bush's policies, cuz their guy is totally gonna cut out the drone strikes, help the poor, regulate the banks, etc. etc.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I love James Carville :allears:

You hear that? That's the sound of pine on skull.:v:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

Also, concerning last nights show. Who coined the term "fiscal cliff?" I don't understand that label.

Is it really going to be a catastrophe if the "Bush tax cuts" (Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 and Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003) expire?

Of all the options put forward that'll likely happen: fiscal cliff, Simpson-Bowles catfood commission, whatever dark sorcery the GOP has cooked up, fiscal cliff is honestly the best possible outcome. Like you said killing the Bush tax cuts for everyone will have zero bad effects, and the defense sequestration won't hurt a thing, which is where most of the crowing about the fiscal cliff has come from.

Oh lawdy kill Medicare and block grant Medicaid, raise SS eligibility to 70, but don't touch my pew pew laser boats!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Apart from Rula Jebreal that sounds like a terrible panel.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

The one thing that I never see discussed on any form of media: What are the main reasons people are shooting each other in the US? Why do people do drive-bys in cities? Has anyone broken down the murder stats by motive on a national level?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-10

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This is of course the same guy who went on TV as an Obama surrogate and praised Bain Capital during the campign. The dude can't stay on message.

He's a politician in northern New Jersey with designs on going federal; he has to kiss the FIRE sector's rear end.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Slow down right wing shill guy. I know it's your first time and your nervous, but it isn't a race, son.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

What blew my mind is that Jon Meacham and Joel McHale are only two years apart :psyduck:

Y'know what's weirder?

Newt Gingrich's wife, Cindy Crawford, and Janet Jackson are the same age.

Also, why are they calling Jon Meacham a historian? He has no background in the field and he's only written a couple lovely presidential biographies full of conventional wisdom they teach in high school.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 16, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

escape artist posted:

They're already used domestically for surveillance, I believe.

Funnily enough Chris Dorner is the first American they officially used a drone to hunt down on US soil.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

escape artist posted:

Did they kill him with drone fire? I knew they were looking for him with drones, but didn't know if they would go as far as to kill him with a drone.

(Sorry, I don't keep up with news much... I have a tough time fighting depression as it is!)

Nah, they just fired incendiary CS canisters into the cabin to burn it down, presumably before he killed himself. Pretty much the way they ended Waco.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Haha yeah as soon as she said that I was done.

Yes, dear, as the daughter of a billionaire from inheritance who has no accomplishment of your own yet inexplicably you're put on tv because I guess the idle wealthy aren't heard from enough you are indeed the voice of the millennial generation. Why don't you and Tits McCain go form a think tank with all your big ideas I'm sure you guys like seriously stayed up all night thinking real hard on.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Okay, I've never done this with Real Time before, through all the stupid poo poo that has been on this show, but I have to turn this off or I'm going to stroke out. I can't take this double dose of smug stupidity.

I know Bill makes a quixotic point about trying to keep inviting conservatives, but is there anyone halfway paying attention who doesn't already have their sales pitch memorized? They haven't had anything new to say in years, and at best all they'll do is drag the show down in a flurry of talking point horseshit. Why even bother listening to them at this point? He's even said so as much himself numerous times. Invite a centrist buffoon, an investigative journalist, and someone like Bernie Sanders, and you might have a halfway decent show that makes it all the way to New Rules without a complete meltdown.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 6, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
gently caress that- Ernest Istook, John Fund, and let's say Ron Christie. PJ O'Rourke comes in during the guest entertainer/celebrity segment.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alabaster Disaster posted:

All I can think of when I see Stephen Moore is how he made this mistake, and the man is a professional econometrician.

Well to be fair economists don't know poo poo about math.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah, I post this every time there is a bad episode, but: This show is supposed to be fun and entertaining to watch. If I just want to hear idiots yelling at each other about politics I can get hundreds of hours of it a week via cable news. It doesn't have to be the most intelligent conversation, but it should be fun.

Better idea: expand the conservative bubble concept. Whenever a right wing talking head starts hijacking the show with their endless fusillade of talking points, a giant soundproof dome lowers from the ceiling onto them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'd rather the audience have a button when pressed causes their heads to explode. And that was the last funny thing PJ O'Rourke ever said.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's nowhere near that complex. The oil & gas industry pays people to shill their talking points. Jim Inhofe, probably the most noxious climate change denialist in government is completely open about who signs his paycheck. You don't normally see whores so proud of their line of work.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hoo boy this week's got Bill's Muslim hate dander up.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Maher's a fairly standard upper class liberal with the exception of the religion thing where he's an idiot on par with Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Was this the first episode of Real Time, ever, to not actually have a proper Final Rule? Last night was the first I've seen that I can recall of such and I've not missed an episode for years now.

There was one they teased earlier in the week on Huffpo/Raw Story/etc. where Bill makes fun of atheists for not being able say "oh my God" or some dumb poo poo. They likely scrapped it after we found out the Tsarnaev brothers were Chechen and his Islamophobia kicked in to high gear.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 20, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

edit: As far as Bill's added animosity toward the religion of Islam. I have a theory that he's still angry about having that one quote explode in his face (the one that caused him to lose his ABC show). I wasn't a big follower of his old TV show so I don't know if he was as aggressively against Islam back then as he is now.

That might be part of it, but I think it has more to do with his friendship with Christopher Hitchens and considering himself part of the New Atheist crowd, which is prone to Islamophobia, and probably more importantly the prominence which Islamic terrorism has taken in American media and society since 9/11. I remember his old show fairly well, and at the time Islamic terrorism in general was treat as more of a joke when it was mentioned at all. Comedy Central even had a rap video back in 94 or so making fun of Mohammed Salameh's name, and his role in how the 1993 WTC bombers were busted, which admittedly was pretty funny. The bigger terror threats then were right wing militias, anti-abortion activists, and the Unabomber, and that was the general cultural shorthand for terrorism right up until 9/11.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

richardfun posted:

I recall this shooting on the streets of New York, maybe a year ago. There was this armed guy with a grudge against his former employer. Cops responded, opened fire, and in the process hit half a dozen bystanders. And these are people who are supposed to be trained to handle a gun in a high stress situation.

Would it make you feel any better if I told you that thanks to lateral entry programs a significant number of police have little to no firearms training before being let out on the street?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

What is lateral entry?

Basically a cost-saving measure and a way to meet personnel goals quickly by going from recruitment to street duty with minimal training but with the guarantee of training to come. It was originally meant for police transferring from other jurisdictions to get to work in a new department fairly quick. A lot of ex-military are recruited through it as well, but individual departments get a little leeway or when things are tight and they wind up putting people with no background and little training out on street duty.

ApexAftermath posted:

I can only think of the Dr. Tiller incident as far as abortion shootings go,

There were a few in the 90s, but the primary forms of anti-abortion violence are bombings and arson.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 23, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zVxTeflon posted:

And theres a poo poo ton of poor people of other religions all over the world that aren't doing comparable stuff.

India isn't a predominately Muslim country yet they're just behind Iraq, Pakistan, and Afghanistan in terms of terrorist attacks.

ApexAftermath posted:

You got my point though right? It happens hardly ever in the US when we look at world wide instances of terror attacks.

In large part because much of the movement has found success in banning abortion through state laws, obviating the need to kill providers and blow up and torch clinics. But to your point, the US is a far more stable place. The leap it takes for someone to go from radicalization to violence is a lot larger here than it is in say Indonesia or Yemen.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ApexAftermath posted:

I have a hard time believing that there would be more attacks if the bullshit legislation was less successful, but if that did turn out to be true you can bet that the FBI would bring the loving hammer down on these right wing fuckers so fast it would make their heads spin. I can't deny I would love to see these these assholes get profiled like crazy. They deserve it.

Eventually that'd be true because the Christian Right from which the anti-abortion radicals are drawn is aging and dying off. Funny you mention profiling because DHS released a report early into the first Obama administration on homegrown right-wing terrorism and pretty much everyone went batshit because how dare we profile white people or even suggest they're more of a threat than those evil Muslims.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You're making the same mistake that Bill Maher makes in confusing the radicalizing effect instability and economic inequality has with something inherent to Islam itself. What about India, or Mexico, or Honduras, or El Salvador, or Colombia, or Brazil, or Venezuela, or the Philippines, or the DRC, or CAR, or South Africa, or Angola, or Ireland, or Spain, or any number of breakaway republics in former Soviet satellite states? What about the Basques?

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 23, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Barracuda Bang! posted:

You're all missing the point here - Salmon Rushdie's hands are insanely small. Get your priorities straight!

This is true. They are quite dainty.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

Casual observance can be dangerous. I feel like a lot of it's media hype.

Absolutely the role of media coverage influences these things. It goes back to what I was saying earlier about right-wing homegrown good ol' white boy militias and bible thumpers were the face of terrorism in American culture not 20 years ago. It wasn't as if Islamist terror wasn't happening at the time; there were killings and violence all over the place, but like most international news, it gets short shrift here.

I know most posters here are in their 20s to early 30s, but ask anyone about 40 or older how much they thought about Islamic terrorism in the 90s, and if you're lucky you'll get one or two people at most who remember the '93 WTC bombing, let alone anyone who can name a single other incident. This isn't limited to the general public, either. Probably the most criminally negligent thing the Bush administration did was shutting out Richard Clarke and the established counterterrorism staff at NSC in favor of Condi Rice and other idiots at PNAC.

We didn't pay enough attention to it when it didn't affect us that much (and it still doesn't, at least not directly), and now we focus on it to the detriment of other more immediately serious threats.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

It seems like that's mostly forgotten.

Not if you're from Grenada. ;)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

I suppose one could say that Grenada itself is also forgotten. Not knowing much about these events it almost seems like an Absurdist reaction after one bombing to attack another country across the globe (although this Grenada attack was supposedly planned prior to the Lebanon attack).

It's nothing new. The first thing we did in the Spanish-American war was invade the Philippines (because we were trying to backdoor our way into China). For years Europe begged us to help out in WWII and where'd we go? Africa.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hmm, a gay black man who worked for Rick Santorum? Methinks this dude isn't exactly the most cognizant person around.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
And of course the guy from National Review would call bringing up slavery and the Civil War as a sign of the American Revolution being messy a cheap shot.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah you'd think for as long as he'd been at it his understanding of issues would be past the drunk freshman poli sci student stage.

Enjoyed SE Cupp talking out her rear end about mass shootings declining, since they're about the same as they've been for decades, if you include mass shootings which occur in the commission of other crimes and not just spree murders, despite all other gun violence and homicides declining.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

13stitches posted:

He might mean his old show, Politically Incorrect? Not a 100% sure but that's what my brain comes up at first thought.

Just had a look at the fresh batch of new rules on Youtube (because the podcast version usually isn't up until about Wednesday and I don't want until then just for this part of thew show) and saw S. E. Cupp and Michael Moore were on the panel - which makes me wonder how bad this portion of the show was. Cupp alone is grating enough but Moore might make it even worse, those two got what X-Pac heat used to be in wrestling.

They were both fairly subdued so it wasn't too bad. Could've been far worse.

On the "my old job" gag, the joke is being a comedian with a news panel show is more prestigious. It's verbal irony.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Uh, no. He uses it for jobs that are more prestigious as well (Head of Nasa, My Old Job...). It's simply a tired old, "That isn't something you think I would have done!" joke.

I think you need to go back and re-read that post. Hint: the last sentence is the key.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Haass is head of CFR, hegemony is his whole shtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ApexAftermath posted:

So I'm guessing they get into the phone/internet spying poo poo tonight? How is the discussion?

About as substantive as you can imagine with a panel comprised of an internet libertarian dressed up like a minor villain from a comic book movie, a Republican Latino CNN anchor, and Dana Gould.

Also Bill doesn't care because he's scared Al Qaeda might get a nuke and blow up a city with it.