Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Glassman and Roth were hilariously up their own asses, but Christ, what a loving insufferable panel. :suicide:

Eh, I suppose it could be worse. It could have been a three-way with S.E. Cupp, Kennedy, and that shitstain in the leather jacket Reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I was kind of worried there that when she stood up to try and leave during the obligatory "awkward truck in to panel" shot that the camera was gonna clip her in the head for a second.

Edit: Also, wow Bill feels the need to balance Coulter's non-panel appearance with a stacked "strong liberal" panel. How intriguing.

Edit2: Overtime should be interesting, assuming she sticks around for it. I can't see it happening because she'd gonna be outgunned 5-to-1 between Maher, Reiner, Wasserman Schultz, Tyson, and Rob Lowe and she doesn't usually do panels that are stacked against her favor.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 2, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

To be fair that's kind of her job at the moment. Tim Kaine was far worse when he was head of the DNC.

I think Howard Dean was the high-water mark for recent DNC Chairpeople, because I seem to recall the only times he went on TV to talk about anything, it was about he was going to kick the poo poo out of Republicans electorally, and then he did and quietly stepped down.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I did kind of hope that the heckling audience member she called out would actually make a play for the stage.

I'm honestly surprised Maher didn't have them thrown out then and there. He's usually super strict with hecklers on Real Time ever since that 9/11 Truther guy drat near derailed the show years ago. And even then, it wasn't really heckling, she grossly inflated the percentage of the African American vote she claimed Romney won in 2012 and the only reaction she got was an incredulous laugh amid the awkward silence. She only got pissed off because she doesn't like people laughing at stuff she says that aren't obvious punchlines.

With Coulter, I don't know if she believes the stuff she says, and honestly, I kind of like the mystery. I find it fascinating that there really could be a person out there who is incapable of feeling any form of happiness that's not derived from someone or something else losing something. If she's 100% sincere, then she's the Joffrey Baratheon of politics, a thought that fascinates as much as it horrifies me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

No, I was dreading it when I saw he was on but he was perfectly fine. I don't know what happened but I'm okay with it.

The Overton Window happened.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Bill said she'd just had an injury so probably some painkillers, but judging by her behavior she definitely mixed some booze in there too.

Yeah, you could tell it was off to a rocky start when Bill had to run over to her while she was walking to the desk to keep her from falling over.

Also, how cute Bill, denying you ever hosed Ann Coulter. :allears:

I totally believe you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Yeah, Matalin being unsteady in every respect combined with Schmidt being his usual self really didn't lend to much of an episode---really don't understand the point Bill was trying to make to Greenwald given it is pretty obvious to me Snowden clearly making an illustrative point in those statements even with still marrying it to facts as Greenwald tried to get through to no avail. I mean, even the likes of Watergate wasn't some sort of extreme distant event we can only hem and haw around like the invention of fire or something---almost wish they'd brought up Ellsberg's little Reddit jaunt.

Sucks that VICE isn't coming back until mid-March either---was hoping for a double premiere!

Maher has always written Snowden off as a kook, ever since day one when it was obvious to everyone with two brain cells to rub together that he wasn't screwing around with the claims he was making. I have no idea why he does it, but then again he's still a proud, rabid anti-vaxxer, so Maher is just as capable of being as pigheadedly ignorant as the so-called "un-house trained" Republicans he so often derides.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Not really appreciating the blatant misogyny this season so far having an obviously drugged up and now a clearly retarded woman on the panel.

Hey man, you leave Willie Nelson alone. :v:

Also, it's not Carly Fiorina's fault she ran HP into the ground during her tenure, then took on Barbra Boxer in a hilariously misguided Senate campaign that somehow involved guys dressed as sheep, Robert Davi, and everyone learning what huge frat boy douchenozzles her kids were. It was like... Government or something...

In all seriousness though, I missed the first half of the panel so I came into it when she went into "I'm just going to agree with everything Bill and Howard Dean say except on climate change" mode. It took me a few minutes to actually realize I was listening to Carly Fiorina talking. It was uncanny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

What was with Fiorina's kids? I don't remember anything about them, but then again I blocked out pretty much anything Fiorina has ever done.

Whoops. I accidentally conflated her in my memory with Meg Whitman. Whitman ran for governor of California against Jerry Brown in 2010 and often appeared along side Fiorina because they were both ex-tech company CEOs who also happened to be women and happened to be running for statewide office in California (Whitman used to be EBay's CEO). Whitman's son was a well-documented raging racist who allegedly assaulted a girl at Princeton, and then allegedly raped a second girl and then Princeton allegedly covered it up because Whitman was a big money donor to the school and vice-versa between the school and her campaign.

Fiorina, it turns out, only had a step-daughter who died back in 2009.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Bill: So, Congressman, are you gonna stand in the way of a minimum wage increase?
Issa: IWANNATALKABOUTGITMO! :byodood:

...gently caress this panel already. It he'd said "BENGHAZI!" I'd have put my fist through the TV.

E: God, he's a shitheel. "Henry Waxman once said he might have me removed from a committee hearing. That's the same as that guy threatening to murder a reporter by throwing him off a balcony."

Well at least Maher told the whole panel to gently caress off because they let Issa away with his bullshit the whole night.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 1, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

knife super power posted:

Issa is very good at playing to his audience. He tried to appear as a reasonable conservative on this show. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on Fox News next week calling for a new hearing on Benghazi.

It also helped that the other two panelists played into his defensive pivots and chased the rabbits down the holes he sent down instead of trying to get him to address the topics at hand. Also, Maher didn't do himself any favours by going, "rich congressmen are out of touch with reality, and you're the richest man in congress... But you're one of the nice riches. :mitt:"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

I dunno, maybe with the power of both Cupp and O'Rourke's stupidity combined they'll somehow create a rift in the time-space continuum and say something halfway intelligent. Or at least semi-coherent, I'm not choosy.

SE Cupp is always a joy to watch because she apparently lives in a world without irony. That, and there's always the chance that she'll finally drop her fake atheist ruse and announce that she's found Jesus "again." :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IRQ posted:

O'Rourke is clearly a drunk, but he's still more adept than Cupp and probably actually believes what he says. Which only makes next week better, because we get to see Cupp try to brain-deadly mercenary her way into trying to agree with him.

PJ O'Rourke has the distinction of being the only conservative comedian to have ever made me laugh at a Conservative JokeTM, and it was on Real Time as well, no less. But that was years ago, and I have been waiting for him to say something legitimately funny again ever since, but every time he comes on he just turns out to be a bigger and bigger a-hole. So now I'm wondering just what the hell happened to get me to laugh at something he said unironically?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well that was boring as gently caress. Not even S.E. Cupp brought her a-game tonight. I was expecting her to be entertainingly stupid rather than acting like 1st year undergrad Poli-Sci major with ill-informed opinions.

I think Bill did most of the talking this panel so I just zoned out because I can't remember a thing the bald guy and not-S.E. Cupp said.

Although PJ O'Rouke did make me laugh one more time at something he said, so there might be hope yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I have yet to see a panel in any forum where Cupp just doesn't ruin it overall though, the problem is her level of idiocy isn't some outlier on cable news or political opinion in general.

I caught a few episodes of The Cycle on MSNBC when she used to be a co-host. It used to be her and three liberals and initially she spoke her mind, said stupid things and got throttled for them by the other hosts, but then she went into mercenary mode and started saying things that lined up a little better with the lopsided liberalism of the panels, if she was ever able to get a word in edgewise usually.

I guess since she's moved to CNN and Glenn Beck's basement studio Internet show she's been freer to let her ill formed opinions fly in their natural state. It's a really weird dichotomy going on with her, how a person can be wicked smart on a survivalist level, yet so prone to cognitive dissonance on a political one.

E:

zVxTeflon posted:

The only thing worse than S.E. Cupp is 2 baby boomers sucking their own dicks about how their generation is totally not full of entitled whiny retards because they didn't have cell phones as kids or whatever.

Yeah, that was pretty :allears: to watch. The only thing better is Bill flying off the handle about kids doing bullshit majors in college and expecting the world when the man himself graduated from Cornell with a BA in English Lit. :jerkbag:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 8, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, that went a lot better than the last time Rachel Maddow was on Real Time. Last time she just threw her hands up and stopped arguing with Nick Gillespie because she couldn't find a way to pierce his incredible :smugbert:-barrier. Charles Cooke didn't even bother to put up a fight tonight. Though I guess on Overtime he was the lone hold-out against raising the minimum wage.

I guess they couldn't get any actual talent from the National Review so they had to go with the guy who writes poo poo like "Canada is what happens when North America has no Bill of Rights" and who weakly denies being a Republican because apparently it's 2006 again and conservatives are pants-shittingly terrified of being liked to the Republican party again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Former Human posted:

He wasn't just against raising the minimum wage, he claimed there shouldn't even be a minimum wage. Instead, poor people should get tax credits. I'm not sure what good that does when poor people don't pay much in taxes in the first place :confused:

It's just another conservative sleight of hand that assuages under-informed voters while filtering more and more money to the top.

At least when Bill asked him if he could live on $15,000 a year he just flat-out refused to answer so that really took a lot of the air out of his argument.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Ten minutes into the panel and Bill Kristol doesn't disappoint.

e: Grampa's story time with Bruce Dern has improved the show immeasurably.

gently caress, you could plan your entire life around doing the opposite of everything that tumbles out of Bill Kristol's mouth. :psyduck:

How this man still has a job in mass media after literally everything he has said on tape as turned out to be exactly the opposite, I will never understand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well, that's the first image I've ever seen of Bill Kristol where he doesn't have some kind of awkward squirming smile on his face, like he's trying and failing to laugh off being publicly accused of making GBS threads his pants in front of a large group of people.

But then again as the past hour has proven, Bill Kristol has no shame, so it's clearly just a case of the man being ridiculously unphotogenic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Shane Smith's criticisms of Canada and Scandinavian true?

Yep.

In Canada, great successes are treated like an abaration. We're culturally conditioned to be small-c conservatives on anything approaching ambition. Ironically, the only people who really believe in what I'd call "Canadian Exceptionalism" are the big-c Conservatives like Stephen Harper.

But just about everyone else who isn't on some kind of Conservative direct mailing list just sort of snickers at the idea of Canada doing things like trying to pump itself up into a petrostate, or sending John Baird to look like he's about to take a stress poo poo on the he floor of the UN General Assembly while he rails against this nation and that nation, or buying a bajillion dollars (CAD) in carrier based fighter jets when a) we don't have any air craft carriers, and b) the loving planes don't even work.

And yet they still try...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
gently caress, Bill needs to stop doing those scripted comedy bits mid-show. That ice cream one was just godawful. :rolleyes: At least he had the sense to ragequit the bit went it went off the rails, but he needs to stop it period.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zogo posted:

That was the unintentionally funniest moment on the show in a long while especially after Neera tried to shoehorn in some other ice cream joke that didn't make sense.

That, and the look on Kamau Bell's face after Bill revealed that "black kids need to start taking some responsibility for themselves" quote came from Michelle Obama and not Paul Ryan. That was priceless.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I knew something was up with that quote when Bill mentioned lawyers and teachers. I thought "wow, that's surprisingly altruistic and forward-thinking of Paul Ryan. Normally he would have suggested something stupid and unrealistic like 'start your own buisness'. I might have misjudged--oh wait, it was Michelle Obama, that explains everything."

...Not that becoming a teacher or a lawyer are any more realistic options these days (for anyone) in this broken economy/university system.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, here's some interesting Real Time-related news, Ronan Farrow is almost definitely gonna lose his MSNBC morning show because he's boring as poo poo, doesn't appeal to young people and his only interesting quality is "I might be Woody Allen's kid... I dunno." Ie: what we all learned about him three weeks ago when he let Darrell Issa stomp a rhetorical mud hole in his rear end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

richardfun posted:

Holy poo poo. Bill's had a lot of horrible, disingenous people on his show lately, but I was honestly impressed by the Forbes lady (don't recall her name, can't be arsed to look it up). She just kept making up one nonsensical 'argument' after another and every time one of them got knocked down, she'd move on to the next (often unrelated) one without batting an eye. She made Davis look reasonable, for gently caress's sake.

It's been a while since I screamed out loud at my tv...

By the end of the show, every time she opened her mouth and said something, Bill replied in a tone that sounded like he was talking to a five year-old. I think he's hit on an effective strategy for dealing with far right yahoos: treat them like they are literally infants.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Guess it didn't get stickied but tonight's a new ep and it's a doozy:

John Avlon a Third Way/No Labels "centrist" Republican
Christine Quinn- Bloomberg's handpicked successor to replace him as NYC mayor
Charles Murray- an honest to god white supremacist

And the countdown to Bill getting so angry he curses one of them out begins in...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Radio Nowhere posted:

But they're fuckable, wink wink.

I just kept thinking "god, I hope you come out of your 50's looking like Strom Thurmond or something, because you're just insufferable." I love how Bill torpedoed her argument though.

:j:: Can you believe Brad Pitt is turning 50?
:what:: Yeah, I can. Because he's rich and privileged and can afford to take care of himself, and he's also Brad loving Pitt, so he kind of had a head start on the rest of us.
:j:: :nyoron:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 26, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

richardfun posted:

Next week, Dinesh D'Souza and the leather jacket from Reason Magazine are on the show.

Guess I'll see you guys in two weeks. My blood pressure is high enough already.

Who the gently caress is booking this show? Who in their right mind thinks its a good idea to have on the guy who lost his job at a Christian fundamentalist clown college for being an adulterous creep and is facing a possible indictment on campaign finance fraud?

Is Bill trying to consciously rack up a Guinness World Record for "Largest Number of People Currently In Prison To Appear On a TV Show Before Being Convicted"?

Hell, why not go for the "Irrelevant Outside the Right Wing Internet Sphere" trifecta and have Ben Shapiro on the panel too. At least then there'd be the possibility of Bill throwing a chair in disgust, Bobby Knight-style.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 4, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wow. D'Souza can't defend an argument for poo poo. Also yeah, wow Bill really hates Muslims.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

Because D'Souza is wrong on everything and has no argument of validity to use to defend his lovely loving beliefs and shittier loving actions.

Yeah, I knew that. I was just shocked at how fast and how unequivocally he conceded the argument to Bill. To the point where when he made his last-second pivot into "okay, now let me tell you what I'm really arguing for/against" it was laughable.

Usually Republicans are a little more on-point in the realm of "gently caress you, I'm riding the Titantic right to the bottom"-style stubborn adherence to argumentative dogma.

Maybe the indictment is getting in his head...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

"By visiting soldiers in the hospital, I have experienced the costs of war enough to defend advocating for multiple botched, pointless wars." - David Frum, smart person.

I had the same reaction to finding out David Frum was Canadian as I imagine I would if I were told by a doctor I had genital herpes.

And god yes, that Fukushima story was scary as poo poo, especially the part where they were bumrushed off the premises of the plant by people in fullbody Half-Life-esque hazmat suits in a car with bright orange corporate logos on it so you can't NOT tell that that's the guys who are trying (and panickedly failing) to clean the place up.

Just loving terrifying.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I don't know why I keep watching this show. I really don't.

Oh well, at least I got to see Ralph Reed's head start to meltdown as he began to realize how inherently foolish and narrow minded biblical literalism is.

Besides if the Bible really is 100% perfect and true, then Ralph Reed is going to Hell anyway for all the poo poo he helped Jack Abramoff pull off in the late 90's/early 00's.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

They seem to get Cajun Style Carville on the show once a year; that's gotta count.

They can only summon him once per year, but only between the Summer Solstice and Vernal Equinox, and with a pint of Paul Begala's blood as a sacrifice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I thought Bill was going to fall out of his chair when the Santorum guy suggested the US buy a bunch of French helicopters that Putin had his eye on just to annoy him as a strategy for dealing with Russia in a non-military fashion.

Ho-lee gently caress. That's some literal grade 2 playground poo poo right there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IRQ posted:

Also Chris Hardwick seems alright, I don't know why the internet hates him, but this is the first time I saw him in anything.

Its resentment, more than anything, I'd wager.

Internet nerds resent that he's been chosen the avatar of "hip nerddom" by the media and not by them themselves, and its boiled over into hatred because it's the internet and the internet is terrible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Slightly Toasted posted:

Man Mary looked like she wanted to punch something that entire show

Better than looking like she wanted to try and flop forward and lick the table last time. Christ she was high on something that night.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mcmagic posted:

John Avlon brings nothing to the table whatsoever.

That's any John Avalon media appearance in a nutshell. "Hi, I'm John Avalon, I wrote a book a few years ago designed to obfuscate legitimate political issues and foster the debunked meme of 'both sides are equally bad' that all the hip kids on Reddit use to justify not voting any more, and I won't shut the gently caress up about it. Aren't I adorable? :mitt:"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love the idea of Chris Matthews giving anyone grief over the way they pronounce words. :ironicat:

Guy can't even say the word "Washington" without shoving an R in there unnecessarily just like John McCain does.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, did he ever pick a hell of a week to have Rushdie on. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Hoo boy four people without even a basic understanding of bioology discussing the pros and cons of vaccinations.

That was one of the most willfully ignorant things I've ever seen in my life. I just shut it off. Just turned the TV right the gently caress off. Bill keeps picking some the dumbest possible hills to die on. I can't watch this show anymore, I just can't.