Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
It's hard not to be arrogant when your opposition is today's Republican party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zogo posted:

McGovern had no shot before that happened though anyway right?

It was McGovern's VP candidate receiving electro-shock therapy that killed him in the election, unless that's what he meant by October surprise.

At that point, everyone was sick of Vietnam and McGovern was calling for full withdrawal, and consequently, had a lot of support, which is why he went from no-name to Democratic frontrunner (and candidate) so quickly.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Was David Simon a panel member last night? I might have to suffer through the cringes if so. I love me some David Simon.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I wouldn't call Chris Hayes a hack, by any means.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Steinuh posted:

The only reason she gets attention is because she's hot for her age. I'm watching it now and she's so obnoxious. Most of the time I'm like :wtc:

That's also why Glenn Beck and Shawn Hannity get any attention too, right? :psyduck:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
People like to hear their own thoughts re-affirmed. To a lesser extent, MSNBC does it for the left. Which is fine by me, because it's part of the reason I watch MSNBC all the time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
drat, I was really looking forward to the post-debate discussion. I use this thread as a barometer for the show, because it is so wildly different in quality from week to week.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

readingatwork posted:

Just caught the Ann Coulter interview on podcast. I realize she's trolling but her bullshit offended me so badly this time around that I had to turn off the whole thing for a while and nearly swore off of Real Time all together. The garbage this woman vomits is outright dangerous and shame on Bill for giving her a platform.

Pretty much "No."

All the intelligent conservatives jumped ship during the collapse of the Bush administration and what's left of the party has since devolved into a Scientology-like cult where a cynical few at the top use dogma and groupthink to manipulate crazy people into giving them their money.

Honestly were I Bill I'd stop having them on all together. You gain nothing by having them there.

Actually David Frum, PJ O'Rourke and Andrew Sullivan are a few conservatives that come to mind that are good to have on the panel.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Super Deuce posted:

I agree, however Sullivan suffers from holier-than-thou syndrome very often.

I don't agree with him much, and he can be overbearing, but I do like the guy. Surprisingly enough, he's been an Obama supporter since 2008 though. Joe Scarborough is another Republican I like who is very level-headed, but I don't know if he's ever been on the show.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zogo posted:

He's been on before.

Ah, just not in over 3 years. They could really use another appearance by him. I see Jon Huntsman was on there, too, who is a Republican I actually genuinely like and could see myself voting for under certain circumstances. Buddy Roemer is good too.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Hell, I want Kucinich on now if only to see what in the world is up with him apparently taking a paid gig on Fox News of all places.

Holy poo poo! I love(d) Dennis. What has he done?!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

az posted:

Lmao why is "Romantic triangle" a felony on that list.

Uhhh... It's not. That's why it's in the "other than felony" list.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zogo posted:

I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before these things will be being used domestically too.

They're already used domestically for surveillance, I believe.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

watt par posted:

Funnily enough Chris Dorner is the first American they officially used a drone to hunt down on US soil.

Did they kill him with drone fire? I knew they were looking for him with drones, but didn't know if they would go as far as to kill him with a drone.

(Sorry, I don't keep up with news much... I have a tough time fighting depression as it is!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

watt par posted:

Also, why are they calling Jon Meacham a historian? He has no background in the field and he's only written a couple lovely presidential biographies full of conventional wisdom they teach in high school.
His Jefferson and Jackson biographies are good :colbert: