Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Bill just can't help defending himself. He wasted two great opportunities for reconciliation with Dyson and Ice Cube because, in his mind, he needed to defend the idea that he isn't racist when that was never the issue.

I think I get it: the senator said something bizarre and Maher's mind went to slavery and he took offense. What he didn't realize quickly enough is he isn't allowed to be offended in that way. If a black comedian had made the joke, it would have been pointing out the inherent racism in using the phrase "work in the fields" to them, but Maher isn't black so it doesn't work. He should have said "work in the fields, what is this? 1859?" and it would have made his point without wasting his :airquote: political capital. :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

fart blood posted:

Ice Cube did not want to be there. Holy cow.

I didn't get that vibe at all and he stayed around for Overtime. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mr Interweb posted:

Tonight's New Rules sucked.

Also, seriously, what the gently caress are they doing with the music? Ever since this new season's started, it feels like they have some new, lovely remix that's worse than the week before.

"We're still here..."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zogo posted:

Every so often Bill has to reaffirm his dormant Catholic mentality that it's okay he never married, never had kids and used birth control with all the prostitutes.

It's almost inspirational.

I wonder if he recorded that special for the intro song, or if they just clipped the audio from one of his shows?

Awww, who am I kidding? There's no way they got him into a recording studio for three words.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I want to say there was a third person in the ending scroll to get things back to normal, but I forget who that might've been.

This has definitely been the most prevalent season or so yet of the show as far as having a reduced panel though, and almost always to no good effect.

To be fair, I imagine its rather hard to book conservatives who wont just blather outright lies, so I feel for whichever producer has to find people to put on the panel. Regardless, it definitely doesn't help Maher's image as an old man shaking his fist at the kids on his lawn... :corsair:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SyRauk posted:

Why the gently caress is it so important for Democrats to require everyone on the left to wear the same badge?

Because it worked for the GOP... :smith:

TheBizzness posted:

gently caress Fran Lebowitz.

Her criticisms of Sanders sounded a little like self-loathing. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I liked the New Rules. It was fun to see them do ~TV stuff~ with a script, acting, and camera work. Bill even kept the accent up the whole time and there weren't any hiccups.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Holy crap I just googled "bill maher new york sex club" and :psyboom:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

No Luck Needed posted:

Bill tired of doing Overtime on youtube?

I also think the format of monologue, one on one interview, TWO guests and tack on guest, with new rules works OK for him

three guests should be right out

You have to go to their YouTube channel, click on playlists, then go to overtime. :eng101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Super Deuce posted:

I felt kind of bad for Zooey. She had absolutely nothing to say about anything.

That seemed like an intentional choice on her part, tbqh. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, Maher has never been strictly rational on the subject. He must've had a friend twenty or thirty years ago with a very strong opinion about it and just absorbed it without ever doing a deep dive through the issue. :shrug:

That or he just went "they're both religious, and that's bad, but one side more resembles what I am familiar with so I choose them!" :downs:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Super Deuce posted:

Scaramucci seemed like he was trying to get punched during OT. The man doesn't shut up.

His mother must be very proud. :jerkbag:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

punk rebel ecks posted:

What was Maher going on about in New Rules?

Books are still very popular: http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/09/01/book-reading-2016/

something something everybody today stares at their phones instead of talking to each other :corsair:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Former Human posted:

At least those people are probably reading well-written articles by actual journalists and not circle jerking over likes on instagram.

I'm guessing not.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Former Human posted:

Yes, those things existed! Brilliant observation. Doesn't mean people on trains who were reading newspapers were reading anything you listed.

I don't know how these articles are supposed to compare to people literally eating Tide pods on social media today

Uh, people once used arsenic and radioactive water as health foods so...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Slickdrac posted:

The last decade is the only period in human history in which people have done things that are well known at the time to be risky/stupid/dangerous. Literally at no other time in human history have people, ESPECIALLY young people done really dumb things.

Flagpole sitting, Dance Marathons, that game where you just jumped on your friends backs and tried to break each other, Russian Roulette...

People have always been dumb, it's just easier to document these days.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Solvent posted:

Well. I mean, that’s probably true. It’s pretty hard for anybody I know (in person) to keep their political bearings in this news environment.

It’s super fun to hear that Bernie was backed by the Russians too, anybody but Clinton and all, but I can’t say I was “frothing at the mouth” about her. My real problem with her is the racist dog whistle ads from the 2008 primary, in which I voted for her (who the hell is Barack Obama?) in the early California primary, before I had heard about them. Made her seem to me like the accusations of her being a principle less political tool had some grounding in reality.

Maher said something that I’ve been saying for months now too, that Trump is a traitor, though he left out the part where I say that him and his whole treasonous family should be hanged for said crimes, but hey, at this point I’m just as disturbed by the thought of President Pence (who is clearly just as complicit as anyone else, at best).

Also, am I trippin, or is it that since the election this administration has created a bubble of distance around Pence? As if to say “he had nothing to do with the nothing that certainly didn’t happen with the collusion and all”.

A reporter recently called him out about that when the Porter scandal broke. Pence waffled with his usual "I just heard about that this morning," deflection and one of the pool reporters shot back something like "this is the fifth or sixth time that you have found out about major events from the news media: why are you so consistently removed from the center of power and the flow of information?"

They obviously wanted to put Pence in a box and isolate him from the rest of the administration, keeping him in the pocket for a possible impeachment, but unfortunately the gamble has essentially backfired since the investigation has now taken so long that Pence just seems like a dupe who got sidelined.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

doctorfrog posted:

Does it come from being an old comic? Comics live half their existence on social media these days, hell, so do celebrities. Being an old with so many youngs on the internet can't be easy. Hell, I tried to give Twitter a shot and it seemed less like a conversation place than a promotion platform mostly for nobodies, a few somebodies, and everyone tryin' to be hella smart or sell themselves harder than the next guy. Whole thing is motivated by an economy of attention. Probably frustrates the dude, when the dumbest edgy sayings and most hurt dipshits get as much attention as his carefully crafted comedy and political philosophy does.

twitter is the worst parts of somethingawful and reddit distilled into pure poo poo

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Panel was actually decent this week. Good discussion and very little ragechat. Bill Maher continues to be an old man waving his fist at kids these day, however.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
He said some crazy poo poo tonight but the New Rule was on point and even made fun of the fact that he is just an angry old man. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

PT6A posted:

While I appreciate why it's a bit of a sore spot for him, he doesn't seem to acknowledge that, unlike Laura Ingraham, he's not a completely garbage human being, so it's a different situation.

And they were correct: this shouldn't have been the thing that finally takes Ingraham down. Many, many other things should've done first. But, on the other hand, I'm not upset that this is the one that's taking her down, and I also don't think it would've be possible if she was an otherwise decent person who made one simple mistake.

Basically, all Bill's whining seemed like:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

I think the big difference is Ingraham didn't say something political, she made an ad hominem attack against the child-survivor of a school shooting. Despite Bill's protests, Hogg isn't "in the arena," he's a child forced into a terrible situation who now feels he has to organize a national campaign instead of reading comic books or figuring out who he wants to bang. If a celebrity, with a team of researchers and writers and interns and a national television show feel the need to cross verbal swords with the survivors of mass shootings who also happen to be minors: maybe stick to the merits of the policy discussion. Too bad NRA supporters can't do that, because their argument would be "there should be no gun regulation whatsoever," and that idea is patently absurd.

I think the real reason so many celebrities are upset/unnerved by the MSD kiddos is because those 14-17 year olds have just as powerful of a platform and are just as media savvy, but aren't beholden to advertisers or bottom lines. These young people on twitter are just as effective at communicating their message to the masses as Maher or Ingraham and they do it without million-dollar productions or nightly shows and that scares the living poo poo out of the celebrities...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It is hosed up, but also the status quo. The only alternative would be a state-run social media app that took twitter's place as a public forum. That feels Orwellian-adjacent, so here we are?

Fragmented posted:

Unless you want to print flyers and hand them out to people or just scream on the street corner that's how it's always been dude. What's hosed up is when you have an almost state run TV channel like fox news.

I think a "TV-run State" is a more accurate description of the Trump-Fox relationship. :nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Whale Vomit posted:

Fox is partisan propaganda, not state. I don't live in the States any more so I'm wondering what even plays during commercial breaks. Is it all money for gold and third tier insurance?

Also LOL at Geraldo Rivera trying to make a point that he can distinguish his personal relationship with the president from his professional, while making the exact opposite point clear. He basically stated he had zero objectivity when it comes to his long time friend. He has no business covering the White House.

Yup, also catheters and diabetes supplies. As for Geraldo: I was a very disappointed Bill waited until OT to call him out on Trump making fun of people with disabilities after Rivera clutched his pearls so hard. :circlefap:

viral spiral posted:

The new rule about education was good. It's amazing how hosed so many schools are in the deep red states.

And yet they keep voting for republicans who have been consistently destroying their public education and healthcare for decades lol

I was going to write a big thing about Gerrymandering and how rural life is dying away, but I'm starting to think none of them really care about even that: they only hear the dog whistle: "If everything goes white, it'll be alright."

Former Human posted:

I wonder if Bill took issue when the owners of Chick-Fil-A came out against gay marriage and bigots conservatives lined up in droves to buy their lovely fast food and sales actually increased. It's the same combination of free expression and capitalism but working in favor of a business rather than against it.

It's been said but he is clearly shell-shocked by this issue from his Politically Incorrect days. Any attempt to silence someone is a windmill he needs to tilt at, even if the person is worthy of scorn. Not only that, but the situation is totally different: Sinclair used their power and influence to silence Maher because they didn't like his political opinions. People are boycotting Ingraham's advertisers because she attacked a teenager. One is a media conglomerate using it's oversized influence to quiet public discourse while the other is the public choosing not to support someone who makes ad hominem attacks against minors.

Bonus irony that a lot of the people now supporting Ingraham in making fun of Hogg were the same ones crying foul about Baron Trump jokes last year. :rolleye:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why isn't this up on HBOgo yet

Live shows take up to 24 hours. Probably be up tomorrow morning.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Whale Vomit posted:

It's already up in podcast form, which is how I follow the show.

For what it's worth, this episode had a closing monologue I liked. It's really akin to people waiting to change N- Jim's name in Huck Finn. We can't white wash the past or condemn a piece of media/art because today it looks problematic. Our society is developing in part with media, and we risk losing progress by ignoring our troubling past.

However, I find it really hard to watch old episodes of Seinfeld today. But not because of weird homophobia, etc, but because Jerry is an awful protagonist who invented yelling at clouds.

I agreed with most of it, but the Simpson's response, and specifically them using Lisa to deliver it, was hot garbage cat. Especially since Lisa is the character who would be standing up for human dignity and the expansion of rights and morals.

Seriously, that argument works if you are going to make changes, but people aren't ~still~ writing books with characters named "N-word" Jim so casually and the Simpsons aren't actually changing anything...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Super Deuce posted:

Saying a word isn't what racism is.

Nope, but avoiding it helps shift the Overton Window in the correct direction. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mr Interweb posted:

I just caught the tail end of OT, and Bill seemed to push back a little bit from Peterson. How was Bill overall? Did he hold Peterson's feet to the fire, or did they wash eachother's balls?

Ball washing? I'd never heard of the guy and the comments about him had me worried, but they just talked about how people are too easily offended and didn't say too much that was unreasonable. You got some peeks at the crazy stuff (lol birth control made children lovely?) but he seemed well spoken. Not the Milo explosion I was looking forward to.
:shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Huh. Who would've thought that Hugh Hefner would be Bill's Hill 875... :pwn:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Former Human posted:

Amazing that there are middle aged men and women in 2018 who are literally so fearful of sexuality that they write garbage Christian propaganda against a dead person. One thing I didn't hear Bill mention is that NORML got its start in the 1970s with grant money from Hugh Hefner.

Also I've never understood why nudity gets lumped in with pornography. Playboy never had sex or anything hardcore in it. Since when is the human body pornographic? Kate Winslet is topless in Titanic and that's a PG-13 movie. Is Titanic porn to these people?

Yes. I know people who would not, or currently will not, let their children watch Forrest Gump or Titanic because of the :airquote: sexual content. :airquote:
:crossarms:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Craptacular! posted:

Bill Maher is kind of a scuzzball, but one who lives in Los Angeles and is recognized by more than 10,000 people so therefore he's "showbiz" but only kind of. Maybe he's been nothing but gracious to women, but given that he's been fairly honest in the past about being a horny old fart and has been part of the intersection of politics with entertainment for so long that I'm surprised he hasn't been named in all the career takedowns of sleazy men in Hollywood lately.

I feel his credibility as a liberal will eventually be torn up either because of something he did, or just because the left is becoming so socially open-minded to anything that a lot of 1994-2006 era liberals who think being a leftist simply is abortion rights and anti-discrimination laws are getting left behind.

The Progressives always win because today's Progressives are tomorrow's conservatives. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Killer Mike's position that more black families should exercise their constitutional right to own firearms for protection seems completely reasonable, especially considering his point about how gun laws often negatively affect the black community.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Craptacular! posted:

The problem is Killer Mike is also a strident absolutist who repeats bullshit NRA taking points in defense of semi-automatic rifles no family of any race needs for protection.

When there’s a “bad guy with a gun”, then “good guys with guns” are 1 in 10 times guardians and 9 in 10 times totally hosed; because the police in an active shooter situation will see anyone wielding a gun as a threat. When the shooting happened in Las Vegas, the country band whose concert was interrupted with a hail of bullets kept their own guns in their trailer like you probably expected from any sufficiently redneck country band, but couldn’t use them because any officer would down them on the spot.

Most gun murders in America are from handguns and not from rifles, so a ban on semi-automatics isn’t going to prevent them or drop the murder numbers meaningfully. What it will reduce are these events where one person takes massive levels of casualties indiscriminately.

Ummm, yes?

I agree, banning ~assault weapons~ is mostly pointless given the statistics and if we wanted to ban something, I think it should probably be handguns. I also agree that the "good guy with a gun" idea is absurd since a recent FBI crime study showed only 1/160 active shooter situations was ended by an armed civilian. That is enough to disprove it for me, but throw in the bonus fact that 20/160 were stopped by an unarmed civilian and the "good guy with a gun" idea becomes ludicrous.

I would even say that ~fighting the gub'ment~ is a foolhardy windmill to tilt at when the military has Predator Drones and Hellfire Missiles and Tactical Nuclear Weapons, but I get the argument that you have to show you are willing to fight a tyrannical government before people send assistance or liberation forces, so I'm willing to let people have them since they account for <400 deaths per year out of ~30,000.

In any event, I still see Killer Mike's point that until reasonable gun control happens and/or there is more accountability for law enforcement, more black families should exercise their constitutional right to own firearms.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

punk rebel ecks posted:

Source? I'd love to read more.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/as-study-quick-reference-guide-updated1.pdf/view

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Wait guys, I want to hear the guy explain how the IDF is justified in shooting and killing unarmed protesters and aid workers and how everyone is antisemitic for expecting them to not do that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Super Deuce posted:

And what is wrong about that? It can be simultaneously terrible what happened and a political decision to have planned something else.

What's wrong is the obvious dog whistle that the IDF is justified in killing dozens of unarmed civilians and aid workers because Hamas sent some guys to throw rocks and a Molotov or two. How many IDF soldiers were killed by Hamas fighters that day? Oh right: zero.

Let's try this differently: do you believe that Israeli snipers were correct when they killed unarmed civilians and aid workers, and if so, why?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
They're still shooting unarmed aid workers, btw...
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1002639237940903936

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Groovelord Neato posted:

george will is loving braindead and this blond woman is terribly dumb.

"We'll see in fifty years..." :smug:

...says the guy who knows he won't live more than twenty more and doesn't care what the answer is as long as it doesn't affect his retirement. :nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Former Human posted:

I can't decide if Colion Noir is dishonest or profoundly ignorant. Bill pointed out the gun show loophole and Wayne LaPierre's flip-flopping on guns in schools, then Neera Tanden made a bunch of counter arguments to Colion's dumb talking points during Overtime. The guy seemed genuinely surprised, like that was the first time he had heard any of that information. Maybe read up a little on your own position before going on TV.

Dishonest: all of the NRA spox have the same agenda - the complete and total deregulation of all weapons sales. He said as much when he was like "I want to be able to have the same things as the US military" and how he was like "what's a loophole, Bill??? WHAT'S A LOOPHOLE!?!?!?!?"

gently caress that guy, if Bill wanted to talk to someone about guns he should have brought Killer Mike back.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I just watched Overtime and doubleplus gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dunno naming yourself after the place people do drug deals and swap child abuse images may not be the best branding.

Seems on point for this group... :nallears: