Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Zarin posted:

Yeah, I'm not even sure what I'm hoping from here . . . besides not the fake leather poo poo, I guess.

I want a high-backed chair with a headrest and a good warranty, I guess. Could do an Aeron with an aftermarket headrest, or maybe some other offering from one of the quality manufacturers (not even sure what else is out there that would fit that bill, I guess).

Maybe this thing will be it, maybe it won't. Somehow I feel like the deal breaker will either be the warranty or what they upholster it with, I guess.

Aeron is excellent, I used to have one in my office and that’s what currently I have at work. Lumbar support is perfect, but the tilt mechanism wears out and breaks over time in my experience. I’m also very abusive of my chairs and neither one I’ve owned has been brand new persay, so ymmv.

I’ve since replaced it with a Maxnomic Leader. Excellent quality, had it a little over a year now and it feels brand new. I love that it reclines completely flat, you could sleep in this thing with a foot rest, and the company is local to me Columbus, so I just popped down and tried the seats in person before buying. Quality is top notch, highly recommend watching the video of them sawing several similar chairs in half to show what’s inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything that screams hospice more than that. All it needs is an IV line...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ihmemies posted:

Just out of curiosity.. does anyone make leather gaming chairs or maybe alcantara chairs? Both are somewhat common in cars.

Or is it always about the price and since hardcore pc gamers are usually not that rich, no one makes chairs from quality materials?

Maxnomic makes really high quality chairs, and they’re based local to me which is pretty neat:

https://www.needforseatusa.com/en_us/shop/chairs/by-purpose/home-office.html

Here’s a video of them sawing their chairs in half for perspective:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yFALUdKREg4

And a breakdown of the materials:

https://www.needforseatusa.com/en_us/maxnomic_vs_noname_chairs

I looked it up and they have a statement about not using regular leather because of animal welfare and the maintenance requirements of leather. I can see a decent leather chair being turbo expensive and also not lasting quite as long, which seems like a good formula for customer dissatisfaction.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Steelcase seem to have a 15% discount on most if not all chairs at least, you probably have to use an affiliate link here: https://arstechnica.com/shopping/2023/08/dealmaster-labor-day-discounts-on-steelcase-chairs-lg-oled-tvs-lenovo-laptops-and-more/

That's incredibly tempting... prices are pretty much on par with Crandall's grade A Leap factory returns, but for a certified fart-free chair

Which, after about four years of nonstop ten plus hour days, I'm ready to throw in the towel on the Maxnomic. The chair itself is still really sturdy, but man, I need that lumbar support, and a straight backwards tilt and lumbar pillow ain't cutting it on lower back pain that's starting to crop up as the cushion gave up all attempts at pushin. Not to mention the vinyl covering has long hit the shed point.

After going down the google rabbithole, I'm stuck between the Embody and Leap. Which one is better for someone that's on the wrong end of the height bellcurve? To the point of having a permanent lump on their head from hitting it on so many things :ohdear:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm 5'7" and have a Think, not a Leap, so this is not directly relevant, but it's fine enough, I guess. Nevertheless I'm looking to move up to an Embody.

Edit oh wait do you mean being tall is at the wrong end of the spectrum 🤔

Yeah... it's nice being able to see at concerts, but between trying to find clothes and the now chairs that fit, it's grim being a distant relative to bigfoot.

I just recently found a used office furniture store near me, and this Leap V1 with a taller back caught my attention. I'm hoping to get off work early enough to head out there this afternoon and try it out. I can't seem to find out much about this particular model, seems to be a specialty model or something. I'm also thinking I might just be better off with a quality knit fabric Leap V2.

Otherwise, if I'm looking at used steelcase chairs online, I should probably just stick with Crandall, right?

I found a workaround for mounting an Aeron headrest that doesn't require drilling or permanent modification, so I'm leaning towards just buying a used Leap, and getting rollerblade wheels and a headrest after the fact since I don't see much in the way of used with the factory headrest.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Yesterday I completed a 12 hour round trip to Chicago to pick up a 2008 Steelcase Leap V2 with original leather upholstery. And to get pizza. Actually, it was mostly for the pizza, the chair was really a bonus. So were the beignets, Hurricane, and Muffuletta at the Jazz Festival downtown (that was an excellent surprise).

Apart from bootlegging half a trunk full of deep dish pizza back home, I'm a bit bummed to say I haven't even sat in the thing yet. Somehow I managed to take a tumble down the stairs and bruise up my tailbone real good, to the point that moving altogether just sucks. After going out of my way to fix my lower back pain with a nicer chair, I managed to cancel all that out by introducing oh so much more pain

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tehinternet posted:

Was it real pizza or that tomato sauce pie bullshit

This matters

Nothing but the finest deep dish Chicago style zah--the pinnacle of pie, perfected. Sadly I didn't get any Tavern style pies to go, but I figure there's plenty of good choices for that back home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

KingKapalone posted:

What's the lifespan on the seat of a Steelcase Leap V2? Mine isn't feeling very good on my butt and legs lately. I've had the chair for 12 years I think.

That's the same problem I had with the used Leap V2 I bought last year. So I just popped down to a local used office furniture place and picked up an Aeron Classic for 600$. Weirdly I kinda liked it more than the Embody I tried out, but that's not much more than a first impression