Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

It's really too bad that PTN doesn't believe in the Stackpole. Because this fight begs for Muk to shut off all his heat sinks and try to self-detonate on the bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Tempest_56 posted:

It's really too bad that PTN doesn't believe in the Stackpole. Because this fight begs for Muk to shut off all his heat sinks and try to self-detonate on the bastard.

...yeah I would strongly consider doing this.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I think another appropriate choice of music would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u4YLIacGZo

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Whatever happened to the person that won the contest to call in an artillery strike? Did they take the "Count as multiple votes" option? Having an offboard barrage raining down around them would be a fine way to go down too. If you can't win the fight outright, at least take comfort that you can get a group discount when it comes to paying the ferryman. :black101:

Oh, and just to clarify PTN, where you quoted me on the last page, I wasn't arguing against the rules I was providing a counterpoint to someone who was arguing realism. =P

Grishka
Jun 4, 2010

With the mic in my hands
I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands
I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
We're Steiners! We're supposed to fight hand-to-hand! (and without a leg, and in a fire)

I've been playing a lot of MegaMek with a couple of friends, and while we're all horrible at it I'm going to sign up!

I don't have PM so my email is: nseidl20 at student dot scad dot edu

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Oh dear... Oh dear... :ohdear:

Edit:

Stand up

Fire

Everything :black101:

Felime fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 18, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Stand.

Punch.

Yell "SHORYUKEN!"

...you know the Clanners are all Street Fighter fans.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Oh boy, this is gonna end in tears.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Xmas Future posted:

Oh boy, this is gonna end in tears.

We knew this result was inevitable. The only thing the group could do was to put on as good a showing as they could before being defeated and/or killed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Look, First Clan Encounter was always gonna be a clusterfuck for the players; the Clans are, in many ways, just plain better (and that's not even mentioning the <Redacted>).

Honestly, the Unwearied Second put up a vastly better showing than I had expected on turn 1. I honestly thought they'd be smoking craters by now, but instead even in a potentially-doomed effort they're still standing. Kudos to everyone involved, seriously.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Look, First Clan Encounter was always gonna be a clusterfuck for the players; the Clans are, in many ways, just plain better (and that's not even mentioning the <Redacted>).

Honestly, the Unwearied Second put up a vastly better showing than I had expected on turn 1. I honestly thought they'd be smoking craters by now, but instead even in a potentially-doomed effort they're still standing. Kudos to everyone involved, seriously.

I question your choice of words.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mukaikubo posted:

Barely conscious just doesn't have quite the ring to it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

"They're still conscious (after a short nap)" doesn't sound as :black101:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"They're still conscious (after a short nap)" doesn't sound as :black101:

You want :black101:? The 2nd Donegal have reached parity with the clans. For every 'Mech they've lost, they've taken a Clan 'Mech out of the battle, at least according to the Clan's own rules. One disarmed, one out of bounds, one dead. Even with their fourth 'Mech crippled but moving, that matches the damage done to the Mugger. 1:1 is a ratio that denies the Clanners their superiority, and they know it.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

AJ_Impy posted:

You want :black101:? The 2nd Donegal have reached parity with the clans. For every 'Mech they've lost, they've taken a Clan 'Mech out of the battle, at least according to the Clan's own rules. One disarmed, one out of bounds, one dead. Even with their fourth 'Mech crippled but moving, that matches the damage done to the Mugger. 1:1 is a ratio that denies the Clanners their superiority, and they know it.

Meaning they'll be more conservative when bidding against each other to attack Lyran worlds.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Aesirstorm posted:

Meaning they'll be more conservative when bidding against each other to attack Lyran worlds.

Not necessarily a bad thing: A cautious enemy gives you more time.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Not necessarily a bad thing: A cautious enemy gives you more time.

I don't think this means "cautious" in the sense of "slow," more in the sense of "bid additional forces to make sure we don't lose." And that is definitely a Bad Thing for the Lyrans. Probably that is materiel they're not using elsewhere, but quite frankly I'd prefer spreading the Clans out as much as possible rather than encouraging them to boot Steiner in the teeth...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Muk: You have to get up and alpha-strike this guy. You have no chance of winning a fistfight at this point, since you can't move or balance. You have to pin your hopes on getting a crippling blow with a point-blank alpha strike, then praying that your last LRM salvo can get a crit on the crippled Mugger. There's essentially no hope of winning the larger engagement, which I'm sure you know already. The course of action I've laid out is your only hope of staying in this fight for more than one turn. If you can take out the heavy star in a surprise attack you might be able to survive in the cover of the smoke as the assaults gear up. If you can't, one of the heavies will kill you next turn. This is literally your only chance.

Besides, think of the drama when PTN gets to write Sam announcing that she lied to the Clanner, right before shoving the lens of her large laser in his face and pulling the trigger.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 18, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Muk: You have to get up and alpha-strike this guy. You have no chance of winning a fistfight at this point, since you can't move or balance. You have to pin your hopes on getting a crippling blow with a point-blank alpha strike, then praying that your last LRM salvo can get a crit on the crippled Mugger. There's essentially no hope, which I'm sure you know already. The course of action I've laid out is your only hope of staying in this fight for more than one turn.

Besides, think of the drama when PTN gets to write Sam announcing that she lied to the Clanners, right before shoving the lens of her large laser in his face and pulling the trigger.

I profoundly regret that I can not comply with this course of action.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Even if we take him out, though, we get killed next turn by the Mugger. If we stick to melee it might take that Mugger three turns to get to us.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well you don't necessarily have to do it all in one turn. You could take a turn standing, then shoot the Lucerne, then next turn use your LRMs on the mugger. You do have a hill to hide behind right?

...please?

(It is the height of cruel irony that one of the best long-range weapons platforms in the Inner Sphere has been reduced to fighting hand-to-hand with a 'mech 20 tons smaller, because it is outgunned by the smaller mech.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 18, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Even if we take him out, though, we get killed next turn by the Mugger. If we stick to melee it might take that Mugger three turns to get to us.

This. Alpha-striking the Lucerne might actually work on the Lucerne, sure, but it's a death sentence from the Mugger, because now Muk's got no ammo and is already hurt. Sticking with the melee combat isn't a great chance, but it's the best one we've got.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 17

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B4 Mugger!
Random Ace Gamma: G2 Unknown Assault 2!

L2 Zeus must make a piloting test to stand (5 base + 0 movement + 1 previously destroyed foot actuator = 6): rolled 2, fails!
L2 Zeus suffers falling damage to Center Torso (21/26 armor remains), Left Arm (4/22 armor remains)!
L2 Zeus must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 0 movement + 1 previously destroyed foot actuator + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage = 7): rolled 7, succeeds!

B5 Lucerne remains stationary!

Combat Phase:
L2 Zeus holds fire
L2 Zeus gains 1 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

B4 holds fire!
B4 Mugger gains 2 heat, sinks 28! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne holds fire!
B5 Lucerne gains 0 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase

Physical Combat Phase:
L2 No targets in reach!

B5 Lucerne waits for its opponent!

End Phase:
L2 Zeus gains 15 heat due to fire, sinks 17! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne gains 15 heat due to fire, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

Samantha clawed her way back into her command chair, trying to get her feet under her. The effort of it nearly made her vomit, but she wasn’t about to die here. Not like this! Her Zeus flailed wildly as she tried to rise to her feet, then overbalanced and toppled; slamming her left arm and torso into the ground with another crushing impact. Implacable and cyclopean, the Clan ‘Mech seemed to stare down at her with contempt.

“A good effort, quineg?” someone said, “But my patience is limited. If you are not able stand then victory will be mine.”

Enemy Forces:
B4 Mugger: Waiting to move!
B5 Lucerne: Remains stationary!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remains Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star!
(Partial Victory)
Survive! (16/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Notes: Destroyed by ammunition explosion!

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 4/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 21/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 13/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 3/6
LA A(S): 4/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 19/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 0/24 (8/17)
RL A(S):17/24 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot killed!

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot taken by the Clans!

Rommel Tank:
Notes: Tank destroyed, crew escaped into the woods!

Enemy Status
Beta Krait
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Notes: Retreated off map!

B3 Copperhead
Notes: Forced off map!

B4 Mugger
Tonnage: 65
Target: CP-10-Z Cyclops!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Azael
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

B5 Lucerne
Tonnage: 65
Target: ZEU-6S Zeus
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Drang
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

Gamma Boa
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Besides, think of the drama when PTN gets to write Sam announcing that she lied to the Clanner, right before shoving the lens of her large laser in his face and pulling the trigger.

Going back to an old derail, but I think it's worth it:

"Hey ese, remember when I told you all about Steiner rules?"

Sair
May 11, 2007

I'm honestly surprise how close this is getting to the goal.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Poor Sam.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Two more turns! Come on!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, these updates are coming a lot quicker now, but since there's only one player to get orders from, I guess that's understandable...

It doesn't look too good for Lt Clover, but I still think she might be able to pull it off... At least, I hope so... Stand up and deck this guy, Muk. You can do it!

The only problem afterwards would be to avenge Colonel Rossi and take out the Mugger. You've successfully managed to play for time, the dropships should be able to take off. Just fulfill the Colonel's last words and turn that Clanner into dust and ash.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay, four turns to victory! This turn: stand up. Next turn: alpha-strike the Lucerne. The poor bastard is going to be waiting until the end phase to make his close combat attack, so (hopefully) you will cripple him so badly he can't make it after all. Third turn: Fire your LRMs and lasers at the Mugger. (The LRMs are inside minimum range so they wouldn't be included in the alpha strike.) Fourth Turn: Hide!!! Fifth Turn: Dropship drives through the distracted assault star.

edit: I completely forgot about our off-board stuff. Is there any way to call in artillery to make sure that Mugger stays down?

Go Muk! Punch that clanner is his smug face, only punch him with a gun, and instead of punching, shoot him!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 18, 2011

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Arise, Unwearied Second, arise!

But to echo prior sentiments, the players this round have done a really impressive job. Outnumbered, and outgunned, you guys have lasted quite some time, even with relatively little in the way off off-board assistance.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

KnoxZone posted:

Poor Sam.

Are you kidding? The champ always has to go down right before the end, just to build dramatic tension. Rocky, The Quest, Rocky II etc, all say she's got this. Go Sam. Go. Do it for Caesar, do it for the 2nd. Do it to break that smug snake's nose.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Are you kidding? The champ always has to go down right before the end, just to build dramatic tension. Rocky, The Quest, Rocky II etc, all say she's got this. Go Sam. Go. Do it for Caesar, do it for the 2nd. Do it to break that smug snake's nose.

A thousand years of history show that the Second Donegal have been getting out of tight scrapes since they were the Eleventh Terran Rangers. We have them all at our back now!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Clearly what's missing is crowd noise.

The Hulkster's glory days always had him trapped in a submission hold until all the little Hulkamaniacs cheered for him and he held his hand up and he got his second wind.

The Dropship crews need to start cheering. That's the missing ingredient.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you hurt my friends
Then you hurt my pride
I gotta get up and stand,
I can't let it slide.

I am a Lyran citizen!
Fight for the rights of every man.
I am a Lyran citizen!
Fight for what's right
FIGH FOR YOUR LIFE!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steiner is my favorite house, not because of their vacillation between incompetence and vicious under-handed tactics, but because of it. The Lyrans don't like war, they aren't good at it, and they would prefer to be at home getting rich off of exporting industrial and consumer goods to the rest of the Inner Sphere. As such they are kind of bad at war, but they have absolutely no illusions about the horribleness of war and will gladly rub their opponents' noses in it. The Lyrans don't like war, they don't like their opponents, and they're completely willing to take out their frustrations on the battlefield.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

At least until the Steel Vipers invent the hatchet.

The way these bastards kick, you mean the Talons, right?

And I do find the idea that one little last stand here, one desperate gambit, can turn Clan Steel Viper into meleeing maniacs happy to get their 'mechs dirty in some Steiner Rules Zell Dueling.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No! We have to teach them that Steiner is better than them at the one skill that the Steel Vipers hold most dear: cheating!

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arglebargle III posted:

No! We have to teach them that Steiner is better than them at the one skill that the Steel Vipers hold most dear: cheating!

Cheating won't avail him of anything at this point. Better to stand and punch it out. Better to earn the Unwearied Second and House Steiner honor in the eyes of the Clan, glory in the eyes of the Inner Sphere.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, save the cheating for Round 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Respectfully, you're wrong. Fighting a kick-boxing Loki while missing a foot is just going to get Sam knocked down for a couple more turns until the Clanner loses his patience and declares an ultimatum. By then the element of surprise will be gone, and Muk won't get a free round to alpha-strike with no retaliation. It's a risk, sure, but the current situation is just going to end up with the Sam's Zeus lying in a heap of ashes with a weapons pod pointed at her and the Clanner demanding a surrender over his loudspeaker.

The real question is whether you want to play it safe and end with Sam either dying in a fire or getting hauled off as a bondsman, while the dropships may or may not get out, or whether you want to take a risk and have Sam fighting her way free or dying in combat, while the dropships still may or may not escape.

In my estimation, with the way things are going Sam isn't going to make it another four turns. Muk needs to take a risky action now, because if he doesn't he is certainly going to be taken out in the next three turns.

• Locked thread