Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Congrats, PTN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

LeschNyhan posted:

A hit to the right leg will open it up to mobility crits, you mean. There's still a bit of armour on there.

Shoot, I was just making a quick scan of the numbers and thought we already had caused structure damage for some reason. Still, maybe if we're lucky the leg could go. Or it could pick up my locust and start beating the rest of the lance to death.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The legs have 11 structure so nothing the players have can take them off in one hit, save for a 12 critical, of course.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Taerkar posted:

The legs have 11 structure so nothing the players have can take them off in one hit, save for a 12 critical, of course.

Not one shot, but if luck directs most of our hits in the leg like it did to the left torso last turn we might have a chance.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

cafel posted:

Not one shot, but if luck directs most of our hits in the leg like it did to the left torso last turn we might have a chance.

I'd rather we catch him in the left torso again, frankly.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Congratulations on your employment! I've only read one Battletech book a long time ago, but the fluff from this thread alone is much better than that. In fact, the fluff in this thread is pretty drat good fiction, period.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Alright, guys. I'm moving tomorrow and that means it's time for a mini contest to keep everyone's faith alive while I slink off to the Land With No Internet!

I've been working on several 'downgraded / different' later-era designs lately, such as the Fafnir, Uziel, and Cougar, and some of the Celestial-series, as you've noticed. Well? I'd like you to pick the next `Mech(s)* I work on! Preference will go to Inner Sphere designs, since the Clans have enough advantages already.

PoptartsNinja's "I'm Moving" Mini-Contest:

Pick any later-era `Mech, and either:

A) Make a persuasive argument why it would be a good `Mech to see in an upcoming mission.

OR

B) Write a brief fluff piece about its alternate-universe development.

OR

C) Something other creative endeavor in the `Mech's favor. Sing a song about how awesome it is, sketch one defeating Morgan Kell, or sperg out and make a scale model in Clay/Minecraft/Dwarf Fortress/etc. Whatever strikes your fancy, really, so long as a little effort went into it I'll be more than satisfied.

*I reserve the right to pick multiple winners if I like the entries enough

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 27, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I would have picked the Uziel to write about, it's such a nice little Medium. But it's already being done, so that's good for me. :unsmith:

What's the cutoff date for mechs we're allowed to choose? I know you said "later era", but does that run out to the end of the timeline, with the assumption that you'd remove any weapons that wouldn't exist in favor of moving the chassis itself forward in time?

[EDIT] Also, what's the current year in-universe?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

you'd remove any weapons that wouldn't exist in favor of moving the chassis itself forward in time?

This, pretty much exactly. I'd prefer to avoid any Dark Age `Mechs, but only because I'm not a fan of most of them. I can be won over pretty easily, however.

Current year is the same as the last political update.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 28, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mini-Contest A Entry

Look left, now look back at me. That's the mech your mech could look like. What better way to tell the Clans to :dealwithit: than rolling out the very image of all things Inner Sphere? The Hauptmann. We're fighting for the survival of Space '80s culture, and what could be more Space '80s than a giant robot with wrap-around shades and a cigar laser?

On top of that, the Hauptmann brings serious firepower to the table in all range brackets, solid armor and two massive Justice Feet to plant firmly in the cock(pits) of the Clans.

Style, Substance, Superiority.

Hauptmann.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

This, pretty much exactly. I'd prefer to avoid any Dark Age `Mechs, but only because I'm not a fan of most of them. I can be won over pretty easily, however.

Current year is 3043.

The last time stamp I remember is the 3032-3034 range. Have we had (or are going to have) a 10 year time jump?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Zaodai posted:

Mini-Contest A Entry

Look left, now look back at me. That's the mech your mech could look like. What better way to tell the Clans to :dealwithit: than rolling out the very image of all things Inner Sphere? The Hauptmann. We're fighting for the survival of Space '80s culture, and what could be more Space '80s than a giant robot with wrap-around shades and a cigar laser?

On top of that, the Hauptmann brings serious firepower to the table in all range brackets, solid armor and two massive Justice Feet to plant firmly in the cock(pits) of the Clans.

Hauptmann.

Yeah, Hauptmann basically begs for this, especially now it's the Goonlance tag. Besides, when it comes to everything past 3025/3050-era designs, it's definitely the one that stands out for me appearance-wise. Given the name is obviously Steiner-specific you can rename it if it works better for another faction though (but really, who BUT Steiner really fits for a great assault mech chassis?).

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Fafnir

LOOK AT THIS THING.

This mech is the pinnacle of Steiner tactical doctrine. Sure the Hauptmann may have a cigar laser, and shades, but this loving baby has 2 Heavy loving Gauss rifles that are so loving powerful that and I quote Peter Steiner-Davion "...I had to lean the mech in for each shot" as these weapons are too goddamn powerful. Its like they built a gun, and were like, How can we carry this weapon into the battlefield, and then some Lyran general was looking at it and thought for a second, and thought aloud-

"Thats a great gun, but can we fit another?"

And thus the Fafnir was born.

Vote Fafnir. Power. Durability. Huge fuckoff guns.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 28, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I've already done it. :ssh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Mini-Contest A Entry

Hauptmann.

I will be following up Zaodai's work with an AU fluff text late tonight. It will likely take the form... Of a documentary.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I am going to go with the Thanatos. A 75 ton attempt at competing with the clans that from what I can tell, is a failure. It has a crappy weapon for every range. However, it has a decent electronics package, and is fast. Equiping the 'Mech with a better assortment of weapons, like maybe a couple PPCs instead of the MRM and ERL might help. Did I mention it is fast? It can keep up with at least some of the Clan heavies.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Can we get a quick rundown of what advanced tech is available to who at this point?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've already done it. :ssh:

Aw, I ll have to go back and dig through the old missions.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Let's take a moment to talk about the Blitzkrieg.

What's better than a Hunchback? A Hunchback that moves faster, has less armor, a main gun that can do twice as much damage, and a complete lack of side armaments. Given the overwhelming success of their Hollander design, Coventry seems poised now to take the concept and run with it as hard as they can right at the enemy. As Saint Celestine so eloquently put it, this is Lyran design at its finest, simplest, and most elegant.

From a more practical standpoint, picture being the lucky Mechwarrior drawn to pilot the first one to walk into the AU setting! It's the perfect newbie ride, as you know exactly what you need to be doing on every turn; fully and completely designed to give any player a taste of combat without all sorts of mucky rules for complicated weapons systems or fears that they're doing anything wrong so long as they're running right at something and shooting the big gun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Can we get a quick rundown of what advanced tech is available to who at this point?

Draconis Suns:
Gauss Rifle
Heavy PPC
Hyper-Velocity Autocannon/10
Special ammo for the HVAC/10

Duchy of New Syrtis:
Gauss Rifle
Guardian ECM

Capellan Confederation:
Gauss Rifle
iListen Kill missiles
iHeat Sinks
Medium-Range Missiles
NARC Missile Beacon

House Marik:
Gauss Rifle
I can't tell you until the next political update

Lyran Commonwealth:
Gauss Rifle
Heavy Gauss Rifle
Hatchet

Republic of Skye:
Gauss Rifle
Targeting Computer
Hatchet

New Rim Worlds Republic:
???

The Clans:
Clantech up to 3050 era except:

Clan Steel Viper:
Hatchet* (not really, but close enough)

Clan Jade Falcon:
Partial Wing

Edit:
But it doesn't matter, since I don't want TROs. Just fluff / arguments / creativity / fun!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 28, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hmm, too bad there's no XL engine or Skye could steal the Templar from the Federasts, too.

E: not that they couldn't anyway but a loadout like that on a standard engine is gonna leave you with JagerMech armor. Only Davions deserve that.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 28, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If there were XLs I'd hand skye a TI-TS'ANG. Because Ti-Ts'ang.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

landcollector posted:

The last time stamp I remember is the 3032-3034 range. Have we had (or are going to have) a 10 year time jump?

After this mission? Probably. We can assume that the current mission is a microcosm for the fate of the FWL at large and, yeah, this means Team Purple survives the double-duplicity of the NRWR's attack and Comstar's interference. Also, they'll be getting their tech upgrade briefing come next Political Update and I'm really excited. Considering they have a memory core and now access to advanced NRWR salvage to work with, we might get the chance to see some even newer toys.

(I'd be very, very amused if a facility in the FWL starts to outpace the NAIS in Weird Crap.)

Against all odds, the Free Worlds League is actually going to get to do something!

And it only took two hard-won victories by two different Goonlances to do it.

Also: Skye has TComps! Oh my.

EDIT: Oh, whoops, still 3034.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 28, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd prefer to avoid any Dark Age `Mechs, but only because I'm not a fan of most of them.

So no IndustrialMechs, then?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I'm still going to clutter up a post with terrible Fafnir fan fiction, just cause I already started it before I knew you already ran a Fafnir.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well I've decided what I want to see filling out the FWLM's 'Mech Companies in the near future. The Spider's meaner, nastier big brother, and one of the better-looking 'Mechs produced in the FWL post-Clan Invasion in the canon timeline:

The Wraith
also known as "The Belligerent Backbiter"

EDIT: Crud, I should probably draw a picture shouldn't I.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 28, 2012

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012
Most of my favorite designs are Star League era (Starslayer, Shootist, Lancelot), so they don't quite qualify, but here are a pair I enjoy.

The Gallowglas:

There is no Wolf's Dragoons in this timeline, so the original conditions for this 'Mech no longer exist. It is, however, an excellent long range to general purpose heavy, with the armament of the fast Lancelot (plus some extra short range firepower) on a slower, tougher chassis. It was originally designed to fight the Clans, so it's original purpose is still here, we just need someone to pin the design on. The biggest challenge will probably be making a workable version within the tech limits of the current timeframe. And besides, it's named after Scottish mercenaries, so maybe we can just pin it on the Black Watch?

So, the Gallowglas, for what might have been.

The Scourge:

My major Battletech playing time period ended around 3060 or so, so I only randomly came across this one, but it reminds me of a fast TDR-7SE. Heck, if you'd rather not go Scourge, just make a TDR-7SE variant. We all know how tough the Thunderbolt is, and this one packs a Gauss Rifle!

So Scourge/Thunderbolt, for that mix of new and classic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

Er, whoops. I typo'd.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Huron Warrior; A Poem
with insincere apologies to Longfellow

In the factories of Hollis
In the Free Worlds League located
Mighty weapons laid on blueprints
Huron Warrior among them
Fire support its role intended
Long-range missiles, thirty total
"This reminds me of an Archer."
"gently caress your Archer, this is cheaper."

As design work it proceeded
Came the news across the network
News of lostech long forgotten
Regained now, so plans are changing
Take this rifle, magnet-powered
To the arm will we attach it
Fifteen tons not counting ammo
Gyro will require adjustment

In the other arm a laser
Long-range missiles now discarded
"It resembles an Enforcer."
"No it doesn't. It hits harder."
"Plus I don't see any jump jets."
"Shut the gently caress up now, I tell you."

Into battle, Huron Warrior
Strong of spirit, turkey-headed
From a comfortable distance
Throw your slugs and pray for headshots

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

I'm sorry for this terrible fluff piece filled with all sorts of battletech inaccuracies. I've only played the Mechwarrior games, and Fafnirs are awesome.

Planet Eaton, 3063, GMT 21:50

The 5th Lyran Guards began the 26th of February oriented to the northeast, having completed an orbital insertion during the night. In the early morning hours, Lt Colonel Scott's Scout Company made contact with irregular elements of the Skye Rangers, which had moved into the Regiment’s immediate area unknowingly. At 5:22am the Regiment received its battle orders, adjusted its zone and objective and directed all companies to move east to attack.

The air wing led by Lt Colonel Olson established a screen along the axis of advance and by 8am, sighted large formations of both mech assets as well as infantry and armored vehicles. Since the 5th Lyran were the first to make planetfall, they were given the honor of spearheading the advance.

Air cavalry operations ceased around 9 a.m. after a blinding snowstorm swept across the battlefield and showed no signs of letting up. Colonel Isaac’s 1st Company encountered scattered enemy recon positions in the north and by noon had reported destroying three mechs, five armored personnel carriers, and six artillery pieces.

Leading the assault against the Ranger's positions was Alpha company, recently outfitted with Fafnir class assault mechs. These Fafnirs were a relatively new design, carrying 2 experimental Heavy Gauss Rifles, and were still unknown to the Rangers. 4 Fafnirs in a diamond formation led the company at a moderate pace through the blinding snow, relying on sensors, since visibility had decreased to a measly 30 meters.

Col Issac looked down at his sensor map, then stared out into the blinding whiteness as his Fafnir slowly made its way towards the last known positions of the Skye Rangers. Some scout elements were found and eliminated early in the morning, and once the storm came in, all contact was lost.

A klaxon sounded and a intermittent red blip appeared on the screen as 250 meters to the front and slightly to the left. Isaac glanced down, and kept on his original heading, twisting the torso slightly to face the unknown contact. He had been getting false contacts all morning and presumed this was another one.

Like a ghost out of the mist, an Enfield appeared, painted in the solid dark blue of the Skye Rangers. Issac already had his Fafnir aligned towards it, and with calm precision, he thumbed off the toggle on the right cannon, and let his neurohelmet compensate as he dipped the mech slightly forward and squeezed back on the trigger.

The Enfield had just begun turning towards Isaac when a blue flash momentarily obscured its outline. A solid heavy Gauss round streaked out, rocking his mech backwards. It struck the Enfield square on its right torso, spinning the smaller mech around like a drunken boxer, and pin-wheeling it off its feet. The Enfield fired a laser wildly into the air as it fell, but by then, Issac had already twisted back forward and went back to his routine of staring at the snow, and back to his scanner.

Behind him and to the left, Issac's lancemate, Lt. Molson, riding in an identical blue and white Fafnir, tilted the mech down to look at the downed Enfield. The heavy Gauss round had taken off the entire right side of the mech, but it was attempting to right itself, until when Molson decreased speed and angled his mechs path directly at the Enfield

Col Isaac glanced back at his rear camera, as he watched Molson drive his Fafnir's 100 ton mass straight over the Enfield. Molson stepped directly on the Enfield's head, which crumpled like a tin can in a spray of sparks. The Fafnir continued onwards and left the crumpled wreckage in its wake, consumed by the storm.

Isaac was about to toggle a message when two solid contacts appeared on the sensors. He turned towards the nearest one and waited for his target to show itself.

The Rangers had received reports of a strange mech design among the invaders and were on edge. As soon as they picked up the 5th Guards on sensors, they blind fired every weapon they had. Nearest to Isaac, a pair of blue PPCs whipped out, and one of them caught Isaac's Fafnir square in the center. Isaac managed a small grin as the mech didn't even shake. He toggled his mic, and keyed

"Lance, fire pattern Two-Six, assault formation."

As a synchronized pair, Both Isaac and Molson's Fafnirs fired at the unknown mech as one, aiming for the bright blue PPC weapon flashes. 4 Heavy Gauss Rounds streaked into the storm, and were rewarded with a bright flash.

The Fafnirs closed the distance and came across a Devastator, or what remained of it. Massive torso damage suggested that the heavy Gauss rounds had breached the reactor containment, but the safeties came down just in time. While Isaac was looking at the smoldering hulk, two heavy impacts shook his mech. he turned and saw a Nightstar bearing down at him. Isaac glanced at his Heavy Gausses, waiting for them to recycle, while putting two lasers into the Nightstar, clouds of steam pouring off the mech as the molten armor quickly cooled in the cold winter air. The Nightstar fired its remaining weapons, and turned slightly, clearly intending to ram Isaac. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a flash, and in front of him, the Nightstar staggered, knocked off balance by Molson's heavy Gauss rounds punching holes in its side armor. Isaac dragged both reticules over the Nightstar's savaged side armor, and pulled the left, then the right triggers. His Fafnir jerked back and forth, but the Nightstar was done for, as one of the heavy Gauss rounds had found previous damage, punched through the weak armor, and compromised the structural integrity. The Nightstar's top half sagged over, and the pilot punched out. Isaac glanced at his status panel and noted that the outside ambient temperature was -25. Punching out was pretty much the same as riding a damaged machine into the ground, considering the chances of survival in this weather.

Isaac glanced up, and noted that all along the line, his Guards were through the line in multiple places, and were in the process of turning both flanks.

"Second lance, pin them down, First, form up on me, swing the door closed and hammer them."

He received a smattering of acknowledgements as he reduced his speed and turned towards the fleeing remnants of the Rangers. Just as he turned, a klaxon went off and a contact appeared behind him to the side. It had been running light and on passive when the Guards hit the line.

"gently caress, eyes open, Molson", he swore, as he turned to meet the new threat. As powerful as the Fafnir was, it was a ponderous beast, and to turn a 180 took precious seconds in a firefight.

The Ranger Beserker had engaged its MASC, and was charging at Isaac, weapons blazing. A flurry of lasers washed over his mech, but Isaac felt a jolt and a sickening screech of metal on metal sound as the Beserker put its hatchet into the Fafnirs left side, just above the cannon. It had wedged its hatchet deep into the armor and was stuck.

Isaac turned his mech, and found himself staring at a dark blue Beserker. It fired its flamer while it struggled to dislodge its hatchet. A sheet of bright orange washed over Isaac's cockpit, while he switched to Magscan. Fortunately for Isaac, and unfortunately for the Beserker, when Isaac turned, the Beserker's hatchet was still caught, and the turn pulled the torso of the mech directly in line with Isaac's right-side heavy Gauss rifle.

"Keep your head up!", said Isaac, as he grinned and pulled the trigger. The Fafnir jolted back and a heavy Gauss round accelerated to hypersonic speeds and decapitated the Beserker. The recoil knocked loose the hatchet stuck in the Fafnirs side, and on magscan, a giant chunk of nothing replaced the spot where the Beserker's cockpit was.

Isaac switched off Magscan and watched the smoking Beserker slowly topple backwards into the snow.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 28, 2012

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Considering they have a memory core and now access to advanced NRWR salvage to work with, we might get the chance to see some even newer toys.

(I'd be very, very amused if a facility in the FWL starts to outpace the NAIS in Weird Crap.)

Against all odds, the Free Worlds League is actually going to get to do something!

Kinda suspecting it'll be related to lasers, since lasers are like the FWL thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mary Annette posted:

Huron Warrior; A Poem
:golfclap:

Saint Celestine posted:

I'm sorry for this terrible fluff piece filled with all sorts of battletech inaccuracies. I've only played the Mechwarrior games, and Fafnirs are awesome.
The only innacuracy I spotted is the Enfield changing to an Enforcer midway through. A homogenous Company can be forgiven for the Fafnir.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Defiance Industries Board Room
Maria's Elegy, Hesperus II
Freedom Province, Republic of Skye

The guncam footage from the presentation looped once more for dramatic effect, projected in tri-D in the middle of Defiance Industries' rectangular conference table. A Banshee cut into one of the Clans' smaller mechs, one they called a Battle Cobra, tossing PPC bolts at it as they charged another. The Banshee weathered the storm of strange lasers from the Battle Cobra, spitting staccato beams of light downfield as the Cobra attempted to get inside its PPC minimum range.

The little mech seemed almost smug for a moment, until the Banshee pilot switched to his other firing circuit. Its AC/10 swung to bear, howling loudly as the heat of its combined laser barrage and SRM contrails made the air itself tremble. The Battle Cobra shook fiercely, battered but unbeaten, until the distinct roar of a Defiance AC/20 erupted from just outside the screen, crossed it up sideways, shattering the Battle Cobra's gyro and crippling the mech. A Rommel tank rolled into view, and the Banshee pumped its fist in a gesture of thanks.

"Let me tell you, getting that guncam footage back is the best thing that could happen to Defiance Industries," the presenter concluded. He was apparently some high-flier in marketing who had been selected (or "volunteered") into presenting his department's proposed 3034 campaign. "I mean, think about it: it was Defiance Industries hardware that scored the first verified kill of a Clan machine by any Great House. ANY Great House. What we need to do is push this image, the Banshee and the Rommel as a specialized anti-Clan duo. Get that word out there and we can raise rates again, boost profit margins, and net ourselves all a tasty bonus."

Landgraf Natalie Schroeder, VP of inter-corporate affairs, drummed her stylus on the edge of the table for a moment before she spoke up. "But Mr. Meller..."

"It's Maellure..." the marketing rep corrected quietly. He was ignored.

"How does this showcase the new products we're turning out? Cyclops Industries won't stop going on about hatchets and targeting computers, and CMW back in the Commonwealth has been saying 'Gauss rifle, Gauss rifle, Gauss rifle' for the past fourteen months." Landgraf Schroeder continued, now wielding the stylus at him like a magic wand, as if to coax the answers from him, "Defiance Industries has been the best since the Mackie was scary. If we lose that on my watch, I'll never be able to show my face on Freedom again."

A murmur of agreement swept over the darkened conference room. Maellure knitted his fingers in front of him and took a breath, his features orange in frozen image of flames in the tri-D projector. "Well, we think that sales figures will spike using this campaign, regardless of the lack of a new model being pushed. Once sales start to decline of existing Banshees and Rommels, THAT'S when we launch new models of those chassis. Until then, we should ride this out as long as we can." He fiddled with his noteputer for a moment, then continued, "...If you'll look at our projections on your personal screens for a moment, you'll see the projected sales figures extrapolated from the existing spike after this footage got back to the LCAF. Once we publicize this abroad, we can sell them for literally ANY price we want."

"What about us in R&D? We had a new Banshee go to blueprinting last month. What project will my team be moving to?" Mr. Shetland, Director of new design projects, demanded. "These are my best people working on this. They could defect to the competition. The DSPF isn't ROM; our people get upset, they quit."

"We'll just shuffle them to something else for now. We don't need to make these designs any better-" Maelleur was cut off by the sound of a chair sliding loudly across the floor. The hard-eyed woman in black, who had sat quietly at the end of the table, rose from her chair. Maelleur looked like he wanted to say something, but when he met her gaze, he found he couldn't say anything.

"I've heard enough," Iris Steiner declared. "Leave us, Mellon."

Maelleur attempted to correct her, but Grand Duchess Iris Steiner narrowing her eyes at him was enough to make the man scurry out the door. She let out a small breath and leaned forward, hands on the table. "I let them do a lot with that damnable guncam footage from my son's regiment," she began. "I even kept my mouth shut when we helped the DBC make that awful propaganda film, because I thought it would get people up and fighting these Clan bastards. But seeing that lovely toad of a man try and use the Battle of Somerset as an excuse to raise rates and freeze research and development..."

Iris, red in the face, paused for a moment to breathe. "My grandson Reinhardt will grow up never remembering his father. And yet Defiance Industries wants to congratulate itself. I say no. No we won't. What we will be congratulating ourselves on is building the best, most advanced hardware money can buy. We can all give ourselves bonuses when we've sent the Clans back to whatever hole they came from."

"Now, Mr. Shetland," she finished, "have you ever thought of designing an entirely new mech?"

[And that is where Caesars come from.]

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 21, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, I don't actually have anything for the contest yet. But this one's for PTN, and this was supposed to be a surprise a month ago but I dropped the ball so hard.

The Coyote

The Bobcat

And both, to compare in scale. The same scale as the contest sketches, so you can compare them, too.

As you've figured out, those "faces" aren't cockpits. I guess I'd better get back to work.

Edit: Now a Caesar would be drat appropriate.

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 28, 2012

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Looking good as always, TGX :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
A little bit too anime Front Mission-ish, but suitably threatening nonetheless.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey now! The arms aren't that lanky. :v:

But yeah, the appearance of head-like structures integrated into the silhouette of the center torso is very much an anime design thing. I wanted to avoid the gangly and necky appearance of the middleweight Celestials. I also worked with humanoid legs rather than the reverse-jointed leg idea I was initially rolling with because the description had the Coyote look like a Celestial-ish Rampage and the Bobcat something of a sized-up Jackrabbit.

The sarna pic of the Jackrabbit doesn't look that bad, but GIS photos of the original mini are hilarious. But taking a humanoid-type 'Mech and giving it a center torso that's as long or longer than the whole torso is wide is definitely a more modern anime aesthetic that most BT designs don't harken back to (being of a more old-school anime bent, if any). The Coyote, while filling in the place of the Grigori in the weight scale, had a torso design that borrows from the Archangel. The only really Rampagey thing left is the shoulder design, and that's a bit unfortunate. They're also very angular, another Celestial design element, which when combined with a mostly humanoid frame does steer pretty closely to anime, yeah. Also, fins everywhere.

However, if you start to look at the "heads" as just gussied-up laser mounts and the tips of the chests as the "face" (that's where the cockpit windows are) then it's back to the good old DerpyTech we know and love. With a bit of deceptive body work, of course.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
There really is only one mech that will get an unanimous priority for production. You see, what started as a desperate ploy to halt the Clan advance and gain time for DropShips to lift has had unintended consequences. Clan troops admire the sheer bravery needed for that sort of combat. Inner Sphere pilots are both desperate and crazy enough to propagate it, for they need all the advantages they can possibly get.

I'm of course talking about Steiner Rules. And Defiance Industries is proud to present Berserker, the 100-tonner with almost exclusively short-range weapons and a hatchet to maximize the impact. And of course it has a head-mounted flamer in the classic "cigar" configuration to prepare the battlefield. What other design could be more popular or have better potential of stopping the enemy dead in their tracks?

Congrats to PTN, by the way. Remember to link us the product when it's available!

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 28, 2012

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
You know, I was going to write up my own entry- probably about the Rakshasa- but man.

quote:

Defiance Industries Board Room
Maria's Elegy, Hesperus II
Freedom Province, Republic of Skye

"Now, Mr. Shetland," she finished, "have you ever thought of designing an entirely new mech?"

[And that is where Caesars come from.]

The family of Leutnant Samantha Clover (MIA) endorses this mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

PoptartsNinja posted:

House Marik:
Gauss Rifle
I can't tell you until the next political update

Its the light gauss rifle right? everyone always picks the light gauss.

The only mech the FWLM needs is the good old Orion 2M its a simple design that even an idiot cannot screw up you got your gauss rifle to punch holes in stuff. you got your LRM15 to strip armour and if anyone tries to close you have your 3 MPLs to kill things with. Add to that a thick layer of armour and a standard engine and you have a fire support mech that's gonna stay around forever.

A downteched version is not even that hard to do strip the FF and endo, also the case and art IV, swap in SHS and downgrade to medium lasers. All it costs you then over the base design is half a ton of armour and you still have nearly the same ranged firepower and armour.

• Locked thread