Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Scintilla posted:

Alrighty then. :stare:

...but it lacks a true knock-out punch weapon...

It's got an large x-pulse laser and pilot who can use it, I think we going to see some hard hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Night10194 posted:

Still, if the Emperor of Darkness shows up and asks if Morgan Kell desires power, we are turbofucked.

I think, in this metaphor, Morgan Kell is more analogous to Sigurd. Or maybe Josiah Black, but Jesse never protected a royal in exile disguised as a pirate.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

I think my move is 1913 and shooting the hawk, also spotting it for indirect in case it moves somewhere I can see it and the archer can't, which seems quite likely.

I'm not sure you can make it that far, since the Warhammer wreckage in 1510 counts as rough terrain.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014

hooman posted:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

If the Shawk starts uttering anything like "YOU WILL KNOW PAIN, STEINER" I recommend ordering the dropship to lift off and nuke the site from orbit.

(Also, just as a recollection - PTN has in the past stated that piloting/gunnery skills get normalized to the mission. This thing is not just an 0/1, it's an 0/1 when compared to Morgan Kell and co as 2/3s.)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's probably some crazy Manei Domini / Clan Neural Implants hybrid bullshit thingy. Anyway, here are my orders for this turn:

--

Movement

I activate my King Cobra's MASC and turn 180 degrees to face hex 1513. I then move three hexes to hex 1712, ending my movement facing 1812.

Shooting

I target Shadow Hawk 'Quing Long' with all my weaponry, in order: Gauss Rifle, ER Medium Laser, Flamer and both Streak SRM-6 Launchers.

--

Not including melee contingency since there's no way the Shawk can get in melee range with me this turn.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just stay away from overheating. It won't do you any good when you need every point of gunnery and movement you can get!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Scintilla posted:

Not including melee contingency since there's no way the Shawk can get in melee range with me this turn.

Why not move to 1713 to encourage it to get into melee range this turn?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'd love to, but destroyed mechs count as rough terrain so I can't make it even with MASC. :(

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Surely not ones that have been as thoroughly destroyed as those!!!

But even so, you can just back up to 1712 and still be able to hit any of his likely landing spots with a twist. Doesn't risk MASC failure and your shots are easier because walkies.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'm gonna laugh so hard when he's got a battlemech harjel system and starts fixing himself all borglike.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Watch out for that new experimental quintuple strength myomer

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

The Merry Marauder posted:

Surely not ones that have been as thoroughly destroyed as those!!!

But even so, you can just back up to 1712 and still be able to hit any of his likely landing spots with a twist. Doesn't risk MASC failure and your shots are easier because walkies.

Huh. Good catch! Alright, modifying orders.

--

Movement

I back my King Cobra up to hex 1712, ending my movement facing hex 1612.

Shooting

I torso twist as needed and target Shadow Hawk 'Quing Long' with all my weaponry, in order: Gauss Rifle, ER Medium Laser, Flamer and both Streak SRM-6 Launchers.

--

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

raverrn posted:

I'm gonna laugh so hard when he's got a battlemech harjel system and starts fixing himself all borglike.

Let's hope the traditional dungeon crawling tactic of "mash the bits with a mace until they stop twitching" has been retained in cultural memory until the 31st century.

Though I think I remember from some ancient sourcebook aerospace pilots being stymied by the origins of "6 o'clock," so odds aren't great.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Alright, uh... in all honesty I'm actually kind of at a loss as to how I can best save Carlos's bacon here, aside from the obvious of "be a more attractive target". Any advice?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

I'm not sure you can make it that far, since the Warhammer wreckage in 1510 counts as rough terrain.

Rough terrain is 1 MP movement tax, yes?

I was counting that hex as 2 to cross, in which case 1611 is walk 5 for me.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

Rough terrain is 1 MP movement tax, yes?

I was counting that hex as 2 to cross, in which case 1611 is walk 5 for me.

So it is. Ignore what I said - must have been a brain fart.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

TheParadigm posted:

Are Carlos and Jeanna actually dead, or just in a bad spot having their rides shot out?

I thought ammo explosions and headshots were the biggest sources of pilot death, with others being fairly survivable if a huge disgrace.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. Both Carlos and Jeana Clay as the Red Corsair seem to have little more than minor injuries plus some wounded pride at being shot out of their mechs, I think. More worrying is that chance that Morgan Kell might eat a headshot, since all the Head armor of his Archer is gone now...

And with the Azure Dragon going all Sole Survivor 0/1, that might make things a bit tricky if he decides to target Kell and a shot winds up finding his head, but I take it that Qing Long has more pressing targets this turn, and wants to complete its mission... You guys are doing so well in keeping plot-relevant characters alive this mission, don't screw it up in the closing turns of it, or else you'd never hear the end of it from the peanut gallery.

If any shot finds his leg in the next turn, it's pretty much all over but the coup de grace and recovery of downed pilots. With the amount of firepower you guys will be able to direct at it, it shouldn't be too long before you take him out, the only question is how much damage a 0/1 perma-Ace super fast and jumpy bastard is gonna do to you guys with your already battered machines (save for the pristine King Cobra) before you end him...

TheParadigm posted:

Also, holy poo poo that turn. I'm kinda pleased to see that er small hunger for more torsos and engines.

Is the Gong Gong warhammer something I should be worried about? Looks like it shut down, but the map shows its wrecked.

I guess it shut down in order to give the Azure Dragon the Sole Survivor operation mode, with the (assumed) remote pilot focusing only on driving Qing Long to give it those absurd skill levels. Gong gong couldn't really do anything more from where it was at, so it shut down.

Also, Guan Yu becomes the second Sworn Brother of the Peach Garden Oath to get his face smashed in by Caesar's Assault Mace. Too bad you couldn't get the trifecta by taking out Liu Bei as well, but I guess Lu Bu counts enough as one.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 18, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If it makes you guys feel better, you've turned your bigger risk into a likely bigger reward if you pull it off. If you clear the field you might be able to sneak away with some neat toys and/or capture some high quality prisoners. And if nothing else, you'll have dealt a major blow to the technical programs of the Cappellans.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Yeah, at the very least we've trashed some hideously expensive machines here today.

GhostStalker posted:

Also, Guan Yu becomes the second Sworn Brother of the Peach Garden Oath to get his face smashed in by Caesar's Assault Mace. Too bad you couldn't get the trifecta by taking out Liu Bei as well, but I guess Lu Bu counts enough as one.

Would have been nice, but I'm happy with my three Marauder kills. I think my SRMs also dealt the crippling blow to Golden Boy after the turn was revised, but that one was definitely a team effort.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 18, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Can someone please explain to me why Warhammer Gong Gong just decided to shut down?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

Yeah, at the very least we've trashed some hideously expensive machines here today.

Would have been nice, but I'm happy with my three Marauder kills. I think my SRMs also dealt the crippling blow to Golden Boy after the turn was revised, but that one was definitely a team effort.

Nobody finer. Respect.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Volmarias posted:

Can someone please explain to me why Warhammer Gong Gong just decided to shut down?

GhostStalker posted:

I guess it shut down in order to give the Azure Dragon the Sole Survivor operation mode, with the (assumed) remote pilot focusing only on driving Qing Long to give it those absurd skill levels. Gong gong couldn't really do anything more from where it was at, so it shut down.

I think this is the most likely. The implications are incredible: remotely piloted 'mechs could revolutionize warfare.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

What if that remaining mech is actually being piloted by several remote operators simultaneously?

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Slight update: thinking of parking my fat rear end right next to Carlos (wherever he is - the wreckage is making it difficult to figure out his location). Good idea? Bad idea? What are the alternatives?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It depends on whether he's chilling in the cockpit in some semblance of safety (in exchange for the enemy knowing where he is), or if he bailed and is on foot. If he's on foot he's more likely to die, but would be harder to find and you could park your mech on top of him to body block for him in the same hex.

In one of the past missions we were able to have a mech spend a full turn to pull the cockpit out of a downed mech to save the pilot. Do we have anybody heavy enough with hands to rip the cockpit out of Carlos' ride and head for the hills? Though I guess that would just make him exposed as the Anime Hawk would then have a clear idea of who to shoot. I dunno. With it being a mobile mech with long range firepower, he might be able to peek and poke you forever if you tried to just circle the wagons and defend Carlos.

You guys have been doing a good job so far. Trust your gut instinct and bring home one more glistening Project Phoenix skull for your trophy rack.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

What if that remaining mech is actually being piloted by several remote operators simultaneously?

Sitting on each others shoulders.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Zaodai posted:

It depends on whether he's chilling in the cockpit in some semblance of safety (in exchange for the enemy knowing where he is), or if he bailed and is on foot. If he's on foot he's more likely to die, but would be harder to find and you could park your mech on top of him to body block for him in the same hex.

In one of the past missions we were able to have a mech spend a full turn to pull the cockpit out of a downed mech to save the pilot. Do we have anybody heavy enough with hands to rip the cockpit out of Carlos' ride and head for the hills? Though I guess that would just make him exposed as the Anime Hawk would then have a clear idea of who to shoot. I dunno. With it being a mobile mech with long range firepower, he might be able to peek and poke you forever if you tried to just circle the wagons and defend Carlos.

You guys have been doing a good job so far. Trust your gut instinct and bring home one more glistening Project Phoenix skull for your trophy rack.

Good advice. Shooting off questions to PTN now.

If it looks like I'll miss the deadline, I give any of the other players full permission to enter emergency substitute orders.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zaodai posted:

The enemy hasn't made any clear signs of knowing just how important Carlos is, so for the mean time it might be better not to do anything that would tip your hand too hard, and instead just keep the last enemy too busy to start having clever thoughts.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Wolverine II

I'm thinking either jumping to 0915 and saying if I get a shot to take it OR jumping to 1412 to be able to go either way around the mountain.

Not sure which would make more sense this time, possible shot vs maybe more options later?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
Gallowglass

I'm really debating just staying put and taking shots if he's in LOS at the end of his move. I'm kind of in an overwatch spot already. :shrug:

Edit: Yea I'm staying put... also I'll spot for the Timberwolf since I'll have a 0 move mod

shalafi4 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 19, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

shalafi4 posted:

Gallowglass

I'm really debating just staying put and taking shots if he's in LOS at the end of his move. I'm kind of in an overwatch spot already. :shrug:

Edit: Yea I'm staying put... also I'll spot for the Timberwolf since I'll have a 0 move mod

I'm going to have good fields of vision - its the archer who might need it. You sure you're not going to at least take cover? That jump 2 is pretty useful from where you're at.

If we wanted to cover all our bases, we'd want someone on the left side of the map to spot in case the ace goes that way.. The wolverine's spot is good, but numbers are bad if it jumps.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Still stumped on what to do with my Guillotine... I might just stay put. :shrug:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Soup Inspector posted:

Still stumped on what to do with my Guillotine... I might just stay put. :shrug:

You could jump to 1813, although your damaged Gyro might make landing a bit of a gamble.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Scintilla posted:

You could jump to 1813, although your damaged Gyro might make landing a bit of a gamble.

I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Scintilla posted:

Who cares where they come down? That's not my department.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Orders sent. I'm recording my orders here for posterity, feel free to mock me for my hubris in the face of PTN's dice.

-

Movement:

My Guillotine jumps to 1813, facing 1814.

-

Shooting and Shooting Contingencies:

If the Shadowhawk comes into range, I fire all of my weapons at it.

-

Physical attacks and Physical Contingencies:

If the Shadowhawk comes into range, I kick it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Unless all your weapons have the same range bracket you might want to change that order.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Affi posted:

Unless all your weapons have the same range bracket you might want to change that order.

I've only got one ERLL and two ERMLs left; what should I change it to?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"Fire all weapons that have range and can bear" is a good habit to develop, I guess, if you don't care about critseekers.

Though this is largely directed at future players, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

The Merry Marauder posted:

"Fire all weapons that have range and can bear" is a good habit to develop, I guess, if you don't care about critseekers.

Though this is largely directed at future players, I suppose.

Admittedly my knowledge of how to play Battletech can be summed up as "make the other guy's giant shooty robots deader than your giant shooty robots", so any advice would be helpful.

• Locked thread