Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: a hex with a dead mech counts as rough terrain and therefore takes an extra movement and a pilot check to get through, right?

Extra movement, no piloting check.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Extra movement, no piloting check.
Thank you sir!

@ActiveGoonlance
RIP Paragon1; Long live Paragon1! Paragon2?

I propose we try to shoot these cheeky fuckers in the back where they do not have their extra ablative armor. I can get behind the one in 1123 and hit it on 6s with my LPLs (Gunnery: 3 + walking: 1 + their movement: +4 + Pulse -2) and I imagine our lights could easily re-position to get in melee range or short range of the backs of the other two that are nearby...

If you dont have a backshot your primary focus should be heading to the Coyote base, firing second. I think we need to get someone to that base and also get as clustered up (without being immediately adjacent to each other) as to cover each other.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It won't be that easy. They all have Chameleon LPS and Null Sig.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

iATMs are the biggest bullshit weapon ever. They are bonkers. They have something like five ammo types, a streak system, and ammo that reaches out to insane distances. I think it's ER missiles, regular, HE missiles, mech taser missiles, and infernos. All on a streak system. Have fun dealing with that.
I wouldn't ignore the NOVA system, C3 networks that cannot be jammed and can be reconfigured on the fly can make up for worse pilot skills with an advantage in range mods. There are means to reduce the effectiveness of iATMs out on the field, but even one of those spotters up in GoonUnit's face can enable two others to hit accurately at ranges that can make it hard to respond in kind. One of many reasons why both of those will never appear outside the Clan homeworlds, good luck!

CourValant posted:

Also, don't forget the hundreds of years that they've had to stew on their hatred of true borns
Many of the Clan's scientists are trueborns, either by being the smartest failures of their litter or the product of a rare sibko batch dedicated to producing scientists, they just hate the warrior caste running things like Pakleds. Their revolt was in response to warriors ordering them to destroy their genetics work, one of the few things Kerensky the Younger explicitly said the warriors did not have authority over. While they made kill_all_trueborns.exe, using it would've ranged from Pyrrhic-ly counterproductive to suicidal. While the Word would've loved to press that button (among many others) the Society was a Clan joint, and ultimately loyal to their idea of the Clan system with less MAKE GUN HARDER.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Society is also amazingly dumb since they produce the birth control chemicals that go into the Warrior Caste's food.

Add some polonium to that, dudes. Problem solved.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Since we’re also discussing objectives - I’m a little unclear how we meet calling in the Legion or letting the Coyotes call for help. Is that just from killing jamming units or do we have to go somewhere? I’d prefer not to have the team commit to moving somewhere like the Coyote compound without knowing that will achieve the objective for sure.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Society is also amazingly dumb since they produce the birth control chemicals that go into the Warrior Caste's food.

Add some polonium to that, dudes. Problem solved.

Eh, that just folds back into the whole setting conceit about major events being decided by a dude in a stompy robot. Just like all the other things that would solve a problem better than sending giant robots.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tran posted:

Eh, that just folds back into the whole setting conceit about major events being decided by a dude in a stompy robot. Just like all the other things that would solve a problem better than sending giant robots.

Not all of them, some of them are solved by a giant robot pilot who's not currently in his robot getting into a fight with another giant robot pilot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Several major plot points were solved by an assassin at 2km, several more with poison, and one very notable one was solved by a goddamned ninja attack.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

RIP Paragon1; Long live Paragon1! Paragon2?
dratit Manny, too soon! Besides, I wanted to make that joke.

I propose we try to shoot these cheeky fuckers in the back where they do not have their extra ablative armor. I can get behind the one in 1123 and hit it on 6s with my LPLs (Gunnery: 3 + walking: 1 + their movement: +4 + Pulse -2) and I imagine our lights could easily re-position to get in melee range or short range of the backs of the other two that are nearby...

If you dont have a backshot your primary focus should be heading to the Coyote base, firing second. I think we need to get someone to that base and also get as clustered up (without being immediately adjacent to each other) as to cover each other.

LeschNyhan posted:

Since we’re also discussing objectives - I’m a little unclear how we meet calling in the Legion or letting the Coyotes call for help. Is that just from killing jamming units or do we have to go somewhere? I’d prefer not to have the team commit to moving somewhere like the Coyote compound without knowing that will achieve the objective for sure.

I agree with both of you. Difficult to commit to a tactic without a long-term strategy. But we have to do something. PTN sometimes cheekily hides objectives in the fluff, maybe someone should mine his post for clues. I'm not good at subtlety, so it needs to be someone clever.

In the meantime, let's follow Manny's lead. I'll walk into 0719, face 0818 and give the target at 1515 both barrels. And I'll turn off shields, because I don't see any PPCs (yet). Form up on me, maybe my AMS might offer some protection from missiles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The key to the RWA bonus objective isn't on the map yet, the key to the Coyote one is.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

The key to the RWA bonus objective isn't on the map yet, the key to the Coyote one is.

Cheeky, cheeky, cheeky. And this with bone-ridges! Imagine if he were a cuddlier species... like a Romulan.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Several major plot points were solved by an assassin at 2km, several more with poison, and one very notable one was solved by a goddamned ninja attack.

Although man did it not work out for those ninjas.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

If the Society was already established before the Cappellans grabbed some scientists... ... Aww, my Cappellans are all dead. :saddowns:

Worst-case scenario, the Capellans abducting scientists inspired them to create The Society because the Warriors couldn't protect them, and the Capellans are not only dead, every Capellan world has been scoured of all forms of life.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

every Capellan world has been scoured of all forms of life.

It was an accident!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Worst-case scenario, the Capellans abducting scientists inspired them to create The Society because the Warriors couldn't protect them, and the Capellans are not only dead, every Capellan world has been scoured of all forms of life.

Yes, yes, I know. Glory to every faction but the CapCon, hurrah hurrah, vengeance for the Caballeros, etc.

What a time to be alive totally dead when your captured scientists and their pet AI kill everyone and give the land to their secret society brothers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zaodai posted:

Yes, yes, I know. Glory to every faction but the CapCon, hurrah hurrah, vengeance for the Caballeros, etc.

What a time to be alive totally dead when your captured scientists and their pet AI kill everyone and give the land to their secret society brothers.

Honestly, "deceased victims of their own hubris" is more interesting than the CapCon's usual status of "default mustache-twirling baddies."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Man I hadnt seen that in a decade. This just made my day.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Honestly, "deceased victims of their own hubris" is more interesting than the CapCon's usual status of "default mustache-twirling baddies."

I suppose, though that's not a particularly high bar. They're under HPG interdiction as it is, so the Society doesn't even have to do galactic scale Weekend at Bernie's shenanigans to keep the rest of the Sphere from realizing anything is amiss, they kinda just purge everybody in secret and become the new Great House.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Zaodai posted:

I suppose, though that's not a particularly high bar. They're under HPG interdiction as it is, so the Society doesn't even have to do galactic scale Weekend at Bernie's shenanigans to keep the rest of the Sphere from realizing anything is amiss, they kinda just purge everybody in secret and become the new Great House.

PTN is setting up a potential Society vs Blakist situation here that would be amazing even if you didn't have Amaris in place on the border.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Narsham posted:

PTN is setting up a potential Society vs Blakist situation here that would be amazing even if you didn't have Amaris in place on the border.

Oh, I have every faith in PTN to set up an interesting story. I'm just being selfish and bitter (and eternally pessimistic!) about a faction I like going on the pyre to do it. :v:

We'll get a good show after the time skip one way or the other.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't know, given that PTN has written them as surprisingly competent in this timeline, it's entirely possible that the Cappies might have spotted the impending backstab coming and moved to counter it. Maybe we'll even get a sweet Death Commandos vs. the Society mission later on down the line.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Whats the fluff on the NRWR Legion? the update blurbs for this mission make them sound like Amaris' secret police or something. Have then been in previous missions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

The Capellan Confederation is alive, I promise.

Three scientists do not a rebellion make.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unless they specialize in cloning and genetic modification.

Or robotics and AI.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes! Confederacy forever!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

warhammer651 posted:

Unless they specialize in cloning and genetic modification.

Or robotics and AI.

If PTN says the CapCon survives, I'll try and suppress my rampant paranoia and take him at face value. This time. I mean, that one scientist we got to see his point of view seemed to genuinely happy working for the CapCon. And the CapCon leadership isn't really going to suddenly be upset if their scientists specialize in genociding specific groups of people. As long as those people aren't Cappellan leadership. Hell, it probably gets you better funding.

:science::"I'm researching a gene plague that kills entire targeted bloodlines, but I need more resources."
:moreevil:: :homebrew:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Society was upset about their work being disrespected, being told to throw it out, and having it spit upon.

I cannot see the Capcon doing any of those things.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My orders are in - I am heading to 1423 and firing on the rear of the hostile mech in 1123.

After that my plan will be on running towards the center to head towards the Coyote base, I guess?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Night10194 posted:

The Society was upset about their work being disrespected, being told to throw it out, and having it spit upon.

Yeah, most of the research that the Society was so gung-ho about pushing was stuff that the Warrior Caste shut down because it didn't match the Clan Warrior Ethos.

The Capellan Confederation is very unlikely to be saying "no, don't research that, it's terrible and dishonorable and unethical." They're much more likely to say "Yes, research that because it's terrible and dishonorable and unethical."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, most of the research that the Society was so gung-ho about pushing was stuff that the Warrior Caste shut down because it didn't match the Clan Warrior Ethos.

The Capellan Confederation is very unlikely to be saying "no, don't research that, it's terrible and dishonorable and unethical." They're much more likely to say "Yes, research that because it's terrible and dishonorable and unethical."

"It could really do with having MORE warcrimes."

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Night10194 posted:

"It could really do with having MORE warcrimes."

"You said it can kill how many civilians?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I want to see a 15% increase in civilian killing by next quarter or we're cutting your funding

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, it'll be the Society with slightly lower-tech base but a lot more economic support. And totally dependent upon backing their scientists as the best hedge against ComStar. The really interesting question is whether at some point these scientists are going to encourage Capcon to liberate some of their colleagues from the Clan worlds, or whether the Society gets forced to flee and find out there's a safe place where they can prove the people who exiled them were entirely wrong.

I'd say the only way the Capcon leadership ends up deposed by the Society is if their AI goes rampant and takes over.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Two great genociders who genocide great together.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Last two hours gents! Let's get it in gear.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

oh right i didn't do the googledoc yet

I'm just careful standing and dumping two plasma at the 1515 enemy.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

I want to see a 15% increase in civilian killing by next quarter or we're cutting your funding

Looks like it's time to boot up the old antimatter warhead program again - there's got to be a way to get a more complete reaction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

They could just go and borrow Dr. Massar from the Killzone: Shadowfall LP.

Her and Romano should get along like chalk and cheese.

• Locked thread