Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

asdf32 posted:

A lot of people say you 'need' this or that but in my experience with a small electric it comes down to how fast it does the job. Just take smaller runs if needed.

I'm also thinking about this because my new house has a bigger driveway. If I already had 40V Ryobi I wouldn't think twice about buying their snow blower.

Hey I guess there is electric 2 stage now:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Snow-Jo..._-303483344-_-N

Normally I'd agree, but their new snowblower has very few actual reviews, most of them are from people who got the model for free and haven't actually even used it. One review said it bogs completely in an inch of wet snow, and I get a lot of wet snow here.

These reviews should be deleted. Who does this?

All 5 stars:

quote:

Easy to assemble and ready for the snow.

quote:

Looks good so far. Like the lights on the front. Should be really easy to use at night. Anxious to see how much snow it will handle.

quote:

Just unboxed and setup and tested operation. Very simple setup only tightening of the handle locks was needed. Charged both batteries and tested operation. The LED lights could light up a room! Gonna be really easy to use this at night. I will update this the first time it snows. Anxious to see how much power it has. [This review was collected as part of a promotion.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

quote:

The box this came in was really attractive, lots of bright colors, can't bring myself to open it. -1 Star because it was kinda dirty from the UPS truck.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I have that snowblower. It doesn't smell at all and I don't need to wear hearing protection when I use it. You will not use the 2nd or 3rd speed. I'm 5'10 and find the handles are too low to the ground. It does not like wet snow. It can move wet snow, but you will have to stop and knock stuck snow off the auger and into the 2nd stage. I do not know if having a gas engine would solve this problem however.

The batteries will keep themselves warm while you run the machine. They don't get cold. But, one charge is not enough to do the whole driveway. I honestly usually feel like tired dogshit by the time it runs out of juice, so I don't mind the machine mandated break. If you're a proactive person who can budget time for doing the driveway in two passes with a three ~ four hour charge cycle in between, it may work for you. But if it's 6:00am and you need to be at work by 8:30 and the batteries are dead it may just give you a heart attack.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Normally I'd agree, but their new snowblower has very few actual reviews, most of them are from people who got the model for free and haven't actually even used it. One review said it bogs completely in an inch of wet snow, and I get a lot of wet snow here.

These reviews should be deleted. Who does this?

All 5 stars:

The 20" has a bunch of reviews from people who used it in snow. I'm thinking about the 20" 40V for $350 and the 40V Ryobi mower for $260. That gives 2 batteries total and seems like a decent deal (though the mower battery is slightly lower capacity).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...40140/206481620

On the other hand I liked the idea of the 18V mower which would come with the high capacity 18V batteries I've been wanting.

As for batteries I assume I'll keep the batteries and charger inside.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

asdf32 posted:

The 20" has a bunch of reviews from people who used it in snow. I'm thinking about the 20" 40V for $350 and the 40V Ryobi mower for $260. That gives 2 batteries total and seems like a decent deal (though the mower battery is slightly lower capacity).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...40140/206481620

On the other hand I liked the idea of the 18V mower which would come with the high capacity 18V batteries I've been wanting.

As for batteries I assume I'll keep the batteries and charger inside.

I will say I have the 40v ryobi mower and it’s been great. That’s what got me on to the idea of their snowblower. Just a bit higher stakes - if the mower is poo poo or out of juice, then no biggie. If the blower is poo poo then I’m shoveling 150’ feet and gently caress that

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
If you have 150 feet of driveway I don't think any electric cordless is going to cut it, unless you somehow had a stockpile of these huge batteries.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Honda is always my first recommendation for anything power equipment. If you happen to find one used (you definitely aren't getting new for $500) you should jump on it immediately. You could also try calling any local dealers of snowblowers and see if they happen to have anything used for sale. I generally think it's worth buying from a dealer as opposed to a big box store, both on general principle of not spending money at huge chains and also because if you need repairs or parts they will actually help you.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
So, several years into actual DIY'ing and I'm finding I seriously dislike the (cheap) belt I bought way back when. (e: It's this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/McGuire-Nicholas-Carpenter-Apron-1DM-495-2/202053122) Would really like a new belt with the pouches on the hips, and probably with shoulder straps as well.

Every single review site I look at has the same 4 bags listed, usually in exactly the same order. I'm looking for some feedback from real world users on what you like.

In my (limited) experience, I use the tape measure, pens/pencils, and framing square a lot. I also like having separate pouches for various screw types. I use the hammer surprisingly little (though that may be a function of this belt holding it on the side, which sucks. New belt should have it in rear.)

Budget is decent, but I'd prefer to stay out of Occidental range. (Though if there really isn't anything that's anywhere near as good, I can wait and save up for it.)

I do a lot of framing/renovation currently, but will also be getting back into regular woodworking once renovation is over. (Not sure if "get an apron for the workshop separately" is the answer there.)

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 4, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Personally I just like a single flap hip pouch. Pencil is in hat, tape measure on right pocket, everything else in left hip pouch. I don't like loading myself down with tools when I tend to just set them down in arms reach anyways.

That and I am left handed so nothing is setup on the correct side so its more awkward to put stuff in their "designated" pouches.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Admittedly I haven't tried many, but I bought this Makita belt:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Z55NXA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's good, and has clips for shoulder straps should you desire.

I also bought this pouch to go on it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046LYMSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty good, not perfect in terms of design, but pretty good.

Generally I've found that if you have any specific needs then there's a pouch to suit it, and they're all designed to slide onto a normal belt, so you can really pick and choose and configure your own personal set up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

So, several years into actual DIY'ing and I'm finding I seriously dislike the (cheap) belt I bought way back when. (e: It's this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/McGuire-Nicholas-Carpenter-Apron-1DM-495-2/202053122) Would really like a new belt with the pouches on the hips, and probably with shoulder straps as well.

Every single review site I look at has the same 4 bags listed, usually in exactly the same order. I'm looking for some feedback from real world users on what you like.

In my (limited) experience, I use the tape measure, pens/pencils, and framing square a lot. I also like having separate pouches for various screw types. I use the hammer surprisingly little (though that may be a function of this belt holding it on the side, which sucks. New belt should have it in rear.)

Budget is decent, but I'd prefer to stay out of Occidental range. (Though if there really isn't anything that's anywhere near as good, I can wait and save up for it.)

I do a lot of framing/renovation currently, but will also be getting back into regular woodworking once renovation is over. (Not sure if "get an apron for the workshop separately" is the answer there.)

I love the hell out of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009XY6BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a specific electrician's pouch, but if I need something else I'd be looking for what they make that looks to be constructed similarly because it's really nice and at a great price. I've had that one for over a year and while it's not at all daily use it does get used and it's still 100%. I can't say that about so many similar things I've picked up on impulse or out of desperation at lowesdepot.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I was recently introduced to a pencil on a retractable clip that you attach to the collar of your shirt or wherever and it's an absolute game changer

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bloody posted:

I was recently introduced to a pencil on a retractable clip that you attach to the collar of your shirt or wherever and it's an absolute game changer

Sir, please tell me more?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I noticed in receiving we had this 9 piece Ryobi set for $299 that'd probably be perfect for a light user

Jumped on this. Thanks for posting it - it's dope.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bloody posted:

I have something similar, I bought 50 carpenters pencils and closed my eyes while spinning in circles and threw them all around my studio

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

SEKCobra posted:

Sir, please tell me more?

carpenter's pencil in a lighter leash is my guess.

like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Lighter-Leash-Retractable-Keychain/dp/B00BT1ASFG/

never thought about it, but innovative.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I have something similar, I bought 50 carpenters pencils and closed my eyes while spinning in circles and threw them all around my studio
:same:
But somehow they all wind up in my car via my pocket and so every week or two I have to throw them around the shop again.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

<snip>
weird double post.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 5, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bloody posted:

How about just piercing your ears like all the kids are doing? I mean you can already hold 1 pencil behind one ear, might as well hang a nail punch from one lobe, dividers from the other. loving go to town.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gang tag contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903115

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

If you like Duluth pants, get the firehose work pants and this getup:
https://www.duluthtrading.com/contractors-handy-pack-96722.html
https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-duluthflex-fire-hose-ultimate-cargo-work-pants-71703.html

...then come back and write a full report because I only have the pants, not the pouches. I love the flexy pants and wear them almost every day, but I don't do framing so I haven't bothered with the genuine accessories.

I've got the Duluth work apron, it's nice.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

you guys got it all wrong, you need a dog vest to keep all your tools. Just call the dog when you need something.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/fire-...d=gear-dog-gear

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JEEVES420 posted:

you guys got it all wrong, you need a dog vest to keep all your tools. Just call the dog when you need something.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/fire-...d=gear-dog-gear

Don’t give the dog a ten-millimetre socket or you’ll never see either of the ever again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Platystemon posted:

Don’t give the dog a ten-millimetre socket or you’ll never see either of the ever again.

You will likely find it in the yard in the near future, but its always going to smell like poo poo.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, it'll probably half-inch it

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

I've beat the hell out of this one for a few years and it's held up great, I like being able to put an impact driver in one of the pockets because I've never gotten used to hanging a driver by a hook on a belt:

https://www.amazon.com/Style-Craft-98-43417-Pocket-Pro-Framers/dp/B003N9ZB2C?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Platystemon posted:

A fishbowl dispenser, full of 10mm sockets

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Brute Squad posted:

carpenter's pencil in a lighter leash is my guess.

like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Lighter-Leash-Retractable-Keychain/dp/B00BT1ASFG/

never thought about it, but innovative.

It's a great idea but since it's a pencil you can just drill a hole in it and use a better lanyard.
The Will Well one looks suitably sturdy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Let's see, need a 1/8th R.O. router bit for a project.....ah, Freud has one for $22.

What's this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5YDN9R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hory poo poo :catstare::china::capitalism:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’ve had pretty good experience with the Yoniko router bits, for what it’s worth.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Let's see, need a 1/8th R.O. router bit for a project.....ah, Freud has one for $22.

What's this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5YDN9R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hory poo poo :catstare::china::capitalism:

To be fair you will probably get as many clean cuts out of the one Freud bit as you would all six of the cheaper ones combined.

and that being said I buy HF round over bits at the start of every project and toss them when I am done :downs:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

To be fair you will probably get as many clean cuts out of the one Freud bit as you would all six of the cheaper ones combined.

and that being said I buy HF round over bits at the start of every project and toss them when I am done :downs:

To be fair, I doubt the hell out of that, unless the cheapies make their carbide from cornmeal. I don't need a bit that will outlast me. I only needed the 1/8th R.O. the rest are gravy- or cornmeal, to be determined at a later date.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I tried to get a pack of harbor frieght tshank blades once thinking I could get a couple cuts out of them and I got 2 inches with the first blade before it broke and the second broke off at the base in my jigsaw, they were essentially unusable. Good luck and let us know if they're worth it for one offs!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

To be fair, I doubt the hell out of that, unless the cheapies make their carbide from cornmeal. I don't need a bit that will outlast me. I only needed the 1/8th R.O. the rest are gravy- or cornmeal, to be determined at a later date.

My experience with carbide tools is there is a huge difference in the cheap poo poo and expensive ones. I am all for cheap tools and will try them first but cheaper carbide cutters tend to dull and break a lot easier. This is in machining metals and composites not wood. Wood tends to just gunk up a bit and dulls much slower. Also round overs really are straight forward cutters (apposed to milling) so cheap ones are definitely "good enough"

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I tried to get a pack of harbor frieght tshank blades once thinking I could get a couple cuts out of them and I got 2 inches with the first blade before it broke and the second broke off at the base in my jigsaw, they were essentially unusable. Good luck and let us know if they're worth it for one offs!

Jigsaw blades and router bits are 2 different animals. I typically do go with the better brands like Freud and they still get trashed because that's the nature of jigsaw blades.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

My experience with carbide tools is there is a huge difference in the cheap poo poo and expensive ones. I am all for cheap tools and will try them first but cheaper carbide cutters tend to dull and break a lot easier. This is in machining metals and composites not wood. Wood tends to just gunk up a bit and dulls much slower. Also round overs really are straight forward cutters (apposed to milling) so cheap ones are definitely "good enough"

Lmao dude, say you're cutting metal straight up next time. :hellyeah: I'd be right there with you in that case.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm a bit late to toolbelt chat, but as the owner of a dad bod, and being lazy about walking back and forth and going up and down ladders, I built a framers rig similar to this one and it's awesome. https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...1EaAltWEALw_wcB

The inner and outer belt is crucial for comfort and the suspenders mean I can carry a ton of weight without exposing my rear end crack since a lot of the weight is on my shoulders instead of just gripping around my waist.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

stealie72 posted:

I'm a bit late to toolbelt chat, but as the owner of a dad bod, and being lazy about walking back and forth and going up and down ladders, I built a framers rig similar to this one and it's awesome. https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...1EaAltWEALw_wcB

The inner and outer belt is crucial for comfort and the suspenders mean I can carry a ton of weight without exposing my rear end crack since a lot of the weight is on my shoulders instead of just gripping around my waist.

That's pretty much what I saw all the light/sound/rigging crew on a film set wear.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

stealie72 posted:

They call me.. The rear end Hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

They call me.. The rear end Hammer

I have a set of holesaws from Milwaukee called THE HOLEDOZER and I can't help but think it is someone's username on Grindr.

E: They are even BI-metal