Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^welp, glad I got my grand dad's old brace and spoon bits.

E: i finally feel ashamed for page snipe without anything that good.
Got a bunch of poo poo from Grand dad's place I should post an antique tools thread or something. But I'm lazy pile of poo poo tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

E: i finally feel ashamed for page snipe without anything that good.
Got a bunch of poo poo from Grand dad's place I should post an antique tools thread or something. But I'm lazy pile of poo poo tbh.

I would post like a m'fer in an antique tools thread.

Just saying.

Oh god I have so many tools.

Help me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Now I'm looking at loving forges.

loving why, LAP????

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

My thought exactly. They've DRM'd my car, my tractor, and now my drill?

gently caress it, I don't want to play anymore.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm hearing this in a Toby Keith voice. Run with it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hexigrammus posted:

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'm hearing this in a Toby Keith voice. Run with it.

Ahh gently caress I hear it too

Thats my drill and thats my car
They wont start without a charge
Theres a bill for a service fee,
10 bucks a month to chainsaw trees

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CarForumPoster posted:

Ahh gently caress I hear it too

Thats my drill and thats my car
They wont start without a charge
Theres a bill for a service fee,
10 bucks a month to chainsaw trees

Who's that Man
DRM'ing my life

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
The American DRM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vim Fuego posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/home-depot-fights-shoplifters-special-power-tools-2021-7

Home depot executive is working on a project to make consumer power tools with DRM, ostensibly to combat theft.

This sounds so completely not worth it

The Deliverator’s lawn mower has as much potential energy packed into its batteries as a television, tuned to a dead channel.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vim Fuego posted:

The American DRM

:golfclap:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I would prefer to buy my drill from the armed encampment

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Since this is a Home Depot led initiative I assume it would only apply to Ryobi/Rigid products anyways.

Love those Business Insider articles that have zero source information though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Love that they don't want to put theft prevention devices on every item "to protect the brand" in the store, so instead we'll damage the brand after you've bought the tool and get stuck with something bricked by bad DRM.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it sounds like maybe they're intending to use Bluetooth to "flip a switch" so-to-speak in the tool, and presumably that switch would then be permanently be flipped, rather than software DRM that needs to phone home regularly, but even then it seems like there are so many ways that could go wrong that it seems like a fool's errand.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

FISHMANPET posted:

Love that they don't want to put theft prevention devices on every item "to protect the brand" in the store, so instead we'll damage the brand after you've bought the tool and get stuck with something bricked by bad DRM.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it sounds like maybe they're intending to use Bluetooth to "flip a switch" so-to-speak in the tool, and presumably that switch would then be permanently be flipped, rather than software DRM that needs to phone home regularly, but even then it seems like there are so many ways that could go wrong that it seems like a fool's errand.

Can't wait for the Facebook integration.

Actually wait gently caress if they got my tools to work with Quest I have so many ideas.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

As a software person, I will absolutely not give corporate the benefit of the doubt when they start imagining ways to control how their products are used in the home. That "pay a yearly subscription to be able to use the tool you bought" concept I described earlier? I absolutely guarantee that there are folks who would implement it in a nanosecond if they thought they had enough control over the market to push it through. We're fortunately still in the situation where if any one company tried to do that, the others would eat their lunch.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Maybe it's a ploy to get nerds to buy tools so they can be the first to reverse engineer the DRM!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh yeah, absolutely it's bad no matter what. And the easier and more permanent a "switch" that gets flipped at the register, the easier it is for these professional bands of thieves to crack. So yeah you're just gonna end up with some subscription service bullshit and then in 2 years Home Depot will shut down their Ryobi 18v DRM servers and require you to purchase all new 19v tools or whatever. But don't worry, they're not punishing the consumer or hurting the brand!

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Or maybe the solution is to simply drill through the casing at a certain point. Thread title full circle reversal!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Modchips for drills it is, I guess.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

From the Future posted:

Has anyone had any luck cutting Japanese wood with their North American circular saw? I heard if you start the cut on an NA board and then quickly swap in the JP board it'll work??

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Literally A Person posted:

Now I'm looking at loving forges.

loving why, LAP????

Hmm.. maybe I should get a quick change toolpost for my mini lathe.

2 days later

Well if I knock out this bit of wall the CNC lathe will fit though the door, but how am I going to reinforce the floor for the 7,000 lb Mill?

drat you eBay!

e: the drat mill won't even fit in a standard height shipping container!

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
how can you resist this awesome operator console! 2 screens!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

fins posted:

2 days later

Well if I knock out this bit of wall the CNC lathe will fit though the door, but how am I going to reinforce the floor for the 7,000 lb Mill?

drat you eBay!

Oh mf'er tell me you're getting a vertical mill and I'll cry with jealousy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fins posted:

how can you resist this awesome operator console! 2 screens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-T_uhQ0iE4&t=309s

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
After a visit from Dad, it turns out I'm in need of a pole saw. For outdoors I've been using Greenworks 40V, but it doesn't look like they have a recent 40V pole saw available without the battery. Indoors I've got Ryobi One+ 18v. I see there's a One+ Pole Saw for $100 without battery, anyone have any experience with that or a reason to stay away? I have like two trees total that I would ever need to trim, and right now it's only two branches, so I don't really need the higher battery capacity I'd get from a higher voltage too.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Not tried the battery ones but I bought a Sun Joe SWJ805E off Amazon for 50$, (I'm to dumb to figure out how to find a share link on mobile) need an extension cord but it does work surprisingly good, it felt very compatible to gas, with a nice reach, and the chainsaw detached so can use it separately.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FISHMANPET posted:

After a visit from Dad, it turns out I'm in need of a pole saw. For outdoors I've been using Greenworks 40V, but it doesn't look like they have a recent 40V pole saw available without the battery. Indoors I've got Ryobi One+ 18v. I see there's a One+ Pole Saw for $100 without battery, anyone have any experience with that or a reason to stay away? I have like two trees total that I would ever need to trim, and right now it's only two branches, so I don't really need the higher battery capacity I'd get from a higher voltage too.

I got one after giving my corded one to my buddy for helping me take down a massive bradford pear. For what you're talking it would fit the bill. It's a full 8' iirc, which is good; feels a bit flimsy, but that's also a "good thing" if you don't want to hold extra weight over your head. I wish the handle had a slot or something for the stamped wrench that comes with.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mr. Mambold posted:

I got one after giving my corded one to my buddy for helping me take down a massive bradford pear. For what you're talking it would fit the bill. It's a full 8' iirc, which is good; feels a bit flimsy, but that's also a "good thing" if you don't want to hold extra weight over your head. I wish the handle had a slot or something for the stamped wrench that comes with.

Saw someone with that same complaint in the reviews, they 3d printed a piece to hold that wrench.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Got a new compound slider miter for my birthday, hopefully replace my 10+ year old 10" fixed Ryobi and my 7 1/4" sliding Kobalt

Went with the newly refreshed 10" compound sliding Skil and I'm really liking it. Very solid machine, comes with a shadow line and seems to be trying to position itself next to the DeWalt but at a $250 price point. Skil's becoming the "prosumer" line from Chervon and based on this guy I'm probably going to go for their table saw once inventory comes back.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Oh hey, the Skil tablesaw has a rack-and-pinion fence now too. Didn't when I bought my Metabo HPT. Did a patent expire or something? Everybody's ditching the lovely fences now.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FCKGW posted:

Got a new compound slider miter for my birthday, hopefully replace my 10+ year old 10" fixed Ryobi and my 7 1/4" sliding Kobalt

Went with the newly refreshed 10" compound sliding Skil and I'm really liking it. Very solid machine, comes with a shadow line and seems to be trying to position itself next to the DeWalt but at a $250 price point. Skil's becoming the "prosumer" line from Chervon and based on this guy I'm probably going to go for their table saw once inventory comes back.

Can this be stored so that the rails aren't sticking out the back? I need everything on casters in my tiny shop, so I can/will pull it out from the wall, but the extra depth is what's kept me from getting a slider. It's that or spend twice as much on the delta/metabo/bosch that have the whole glide thing.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

fins posted:

2 days later

drat you eBay!

You need to stay away from the better auction sites then, I'm speaking from experience with the state surplus auctions. First you buy a few lights, some workbenches, maybe a drill press that barely fits in your suburban. Then you see that firetruck with a few hours left on the auction and whats this? Its only going for $1500? You think to yourself "I don't really need a firetruck but the price is right."

So far I've managed to avoid buying anything I'd need a CDL to get home or would involve borrowing a construction trailer but one day I'll slip up and end up with a highway sized snowplow truck or something.

For the pole saw would an attachment style string trimmer head work? I have a Ryobi 40V with a pole saw and string trimmer attachment, it could sure use more power and battery capacity (2 Ah) but for a normal residential lot this shouldn't be an issue. I'm at the point where I either get more Ryobi batteries/tools or switch to a higher voltage like the 60V Greenworks with the 4/5 Ah batteries, I might do this anyway to have the power to get a little rototiller attachment for flowerbeds.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The ryobi 40v tiller works well enough for my vegetable beds, except for the one I grow corn in, because the even the small chunks of cornstalk bind it up pretty good

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

more falafel please posted:

Can this be stored so that the rails aren't sticking out the back? I need everything on casters in my tiny shop, so I can/will pull it out from the wall, but the extra depth is what's kept me from getting a slider. It's that or spend twice as much on the delta/metabo/bosch that have the whole glide thing.

With the rails pulled the way forward and the saw turned 45 degrees like in the picture the back rail only sticks out maybe 1in past the rear foot of the saw. You should slide the rails back when transporting to center the weight better, but for storage it should be no issue.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sockser posted:

The ryobi 40v tiller works well enough for my vegetable beds, except for the one I grow corn in, because the even the small chunks of cornstalk bind it up pretty good

I have the trimmer bhey don't seem to sell the tiller in Canada :mad:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I have the trimmer bhey don't seem to sell the tiller in Canada :mad:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi-expand-it-universal-cultivator-string-trimmer-attachment/1000101927

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

SpeedFreek posted:

You need to stay away from the better auction sites then, I'm speaking from experience with the state surplus auctions. First you buy a few lights, some workbenches, maybe a drill press that barely fits in your suburban. Then you see that firetruck with a few hours left on the auction and whats this? Its only going for $1500? You think to yourself "I don't really need a firetruck but the price is right."

So far I've managed to avoid buying anything I'd need a CDL to get home or would involve borrowing a construction trailer but one day I'll slip up and end up with a highway sized snowplow truck or something.

Wherever I buy from, it's a giant pain in the rear end to actually get it to the shop. There are 5, maybe 6 working lathes in my entire country. Only CNC machine is a Tormach 1100, although I get free time on it in exchange for maintenance. Gotta wait for someone to go bankrupt or die to get a 2nd hand one. Same for mills. One of the downsides of living in a small caribbean island! Had to give up on that awesome Hurco, Shipping, duties, and taxes on shipping make it an insane proposition even before the whole "how is it going to get inside the building" issue. No big machines means no decent riggers around.

Although one more beer and that "buy it now" button might get clicked anyway...

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Sockser posted:

I only need something for the raised beds and flower beds, many moons ago I had a Mantis that worked great for anywhere the big tiller or tractors wont fit.

Is your Ryobi the brushless or older style motor? Mine is the older style and the string trimmer gets overwhelmed by anything thick.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you're willing to do electric, I like my Sun Joe. It copes with moderately clay-y soil if you're willing to do several passes, getting deeper each time. The big problem in my yard was that there had been multiple layers of sod, and nowadays sod is grown on a poly thread mesh base, which wraps itself around the blades. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:wtc: I've searched "Ryobi 40v cultivator" before and I always got "NOT STOCKED AT THIS STORE NOT AVAILABLE ONLINE" what the hell was I doing wrong?

e. ahh I see it was the "40v" part