Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

canyoneer posted:

just lmao if you're not using a scythe, your agrarian ancestors would be ashamed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfIHiBB6xE

Channeling my inner Hank Hill: "Who would let their grass get that long anyway"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you can get away with measuring everything with the same item then its not such a big deal.
Otherwise, I've found that the name brand poo poo is usually several oval office hairs more accurate than the brand x stuff.
Like the really really small tape measure that I got for signing up for a credit card is fine for putting in my fishing tackle box, but is not fine for much else.

The 15-25 dollar stanley or lufkin or (insert mega cool brand name) tape measures are more likely to have measurements that are accurate.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

One of my 4x4s is stuck to the wall. Somehow two of the lag screws holding it up broke inside of it, they’re both buried too deep for me to pull them out, and the wood is too close to the wall for me to be able to get at them with bolt cutters or a saw.

I need to get this wood down one way or another, and I’d strongly prefer not to cut the entire board to pieces if I can possibly avoid it.

The only solution I can think of is to core out the screws with a drill and a bit capable of going through metal.

Is there a better idea I’m missing here?

I might be missing something here, but can you remove the other screws, remove the 4x4 and then just get a pair of pliers on whats left of the broken screws?
If the threads from the broken screws are holding the 4x4 in place, just drill down beside the broken screws to open up the hole. After some fiddling, you should have the holes big enough that the screw threads won't hold it in place any more.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DreadLlama posted:

This is good advice and has been good advice for several millennia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storey_pole

There is evidence of 'boning-rods' being used in building Egypt's Great Pyramid as counterparts of modern storey poles.

THis is why we need a Beavis and Butthead sitting on the couch giggling smiley thing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I need some a couple screws and a couple nuts.

Normally I'd go to Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Home Hardware etc and look through the bins for what I need. But they're all doing curbside pickup only, and trying to find that poo poo on their websites is frustrating as gently caress, maybe even impossible because I don't see anything listed that doesn't come in a box of less than 25.
If I went to Fastenal, or Brafasco, or some other industrial supplier, they'd probably want me to buy a box of 50 of each.

I need two of each. Is there a decent online place that doesn't have a minimum order? I don't want to pay 20 bucks for two screws and two nuts, but they're tiny as gently caress. At a big box store they'd probably be less than 2 dollars for all four pieces. I don't mind paying a dollar, or even two dollars each, but I don't want to pay like 5 bucks each or something crazy for them.

I need two #3 screws about 9/16" or 5/8" long (I forget which) and two nuts of corresponding size and thread.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe call them? Probably not so much Home Depot, but it's my understanding that Canadian Tire is sort of similar to, say, an Ace or Tractor Supply Co here in the states? So odds are someone on their staff is an old, retired carpenter/handyman who will know what you mean when you say you want a #3 machine screw 5/8" long with corresponding nuts and washer and should be able to pick out a couple of them from the bulk bins himself.

I think most of the retired tradespeople go to legit plumbing/electrical/building centre type places around here. Occasionally you'll find them at Home Depot or Lowes, but they're typically few and far between.
I've found that aside from the auto parts people, most of the people at Canadian Tire don't seem to know a lot about *most* of the stuff they sell. They can help you find something but I get the feeling of I were to call and ask for some "number three machine screws" it would be "sure thing sir, you'd like three screws, for what machine, and what size would you like"?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that goons will not use the phone to talk to another human.

More helpfully, my local screw/threaded fastener supply place (imaginatively named 'Threaded Fastener, Inc') has always been happy to sell me 6 #4x5/8" slotted brass screws or whatever other odd poo poo I have needed. Sometimes they don't even bother to charge me :confused: because I guess it is too much trouble to write up an invoice and make change for $.64 of screws. I call them and they have it ready at will call or the cash sales desk or w/e. I'm sure they are even better set up for/used to odd small orders in these strange times.

^^^ Also true, I will, but don't really like talking to people on the phone that I don't know. I'm just a fuckin weirdo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

Unless you need them right now just eBay a pack of 10 of whatever size? Do any of your neighbors look the sort to have a garage full of jars of screws?

If anyone, my dad is the one who's got the garage full of random poo poo that might fit. But the plague means I haven't been down to visit him for a while. Its not a huge rush, its for a sling swivel mount that goes around the bottom barrel of a shotgun. I ain't going hunting anytime soon so I don't need it now, but I'd like to get it out of the way..

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

nitsuga posted:

Boltdepot.com might be worth checking out. Probably more cost effective to make it part of an order from them, but they’d do it I think.

Almost ordered from there yesterday but they don't ship to Canuckistania.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

nitsuga posted:

Public health insurance, but no Bolt Depot? :canada:

I'd ship 'em to you FWIW.

Awww! Thanks goony!
I might have to take you up on that offer later on, but for now I'm not in a hurry.
I do appreciate that you'd help out a random internet person though.:glomp:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Father's day is coming up. A whole gang of poo poo will be on sale. Scope out the box stores that sell all the name brands, and buy which ever set gives you the most poo poo for the least money.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

Who does Craftsman warranty swaps now? I broke my 7/8" socket.

Lowes is selling craftsman stuff now. Don't know if they'll cover warranty, but you might try your nearest.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

. Which also costs more than your dick can earn in a month of Sundays.

Maybe his dick, but not mine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

deimos posted:

Truck/RV wheels start getting up there with class 6+. I think a lot of them are 400+.

Yeah, this. My work trucks, when we get work done to them, if the wheels come off, we'll get a card saying "bring this poo poo back to retorque (whichever wheels were removed) to XXX torque. Usually 400-450 ftlbs.
Guy brings out a torque wrench and torques them bitches down. Its usually a pretty big wrench, but its not huge.

The trucks are Hinos, from 268 to 338 in size.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I've got a bunch of duplicate and mismatched wrenches and pliers and etc. I already have too many in my garage and too many in my car. What's the best way to get rid of them?

I know absolutely nothing about you random internet person.

Do you have a son, nephew, or friend with son who is old enough to be getting a car? Or be interested in things that might require tools?
My nephew is in College, and just got a car a bit over a year ago. I got rid of some redundant tools with a bag, along with some other poo poo to him for Jesus Day.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Probably not the best thread for this question but since we're on the subject of framing. Cost aside, can you use the appropriate sized screws rather than nails for framing a house? Like I understand different jurisdictions = different building codes, but is the reason people don't use screws for framing a function of "nails are cheaper, and faster and we don't have the budget", or is there some other reason like screws bend/break easier?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

^^^ Sand can be abrasive, so it would be best to hardface the spoon first.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Am I smoking crack?

I think I might have been half asleep, but I'd swear I heard on the radio something about a milwaukee tool, portable combination fan/heater/air conditioner. Not cordless obviously. It was supposed to be good for up to 600 square feet apparently. I checked on both the Canadian and USA Milwaukee websites and didn't see anything. I'm not looking to buy one, just was kinda intrigued by the concept.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hoping for a quick-ish reply, so double posting here and in the other tools thread.

Is the Drill doctor still pretty much the gold standard for consumer grade drill bit sharpeners?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ryobi is good and cheap for the average homeowner.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

Compact Vs what they have now.

The goon makes a point. THe current line of Ryobi stuff seems about as big as the 20+ year old 12 volt stuff my dad has. The batteries are the same, big and heavy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Also, it says "die" right in the name!

But "Die" is German for "The" is it not?

Or was sideshow bob lying about his tattoo?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Do spade bits exist that are bigger than 1 1/2 inch?

Looking to bore a hole in some HDPE. Need a 1 7/8" or two inch hole.

I've looked in the usual places (lowes-depot-rona) can't find anything.
Starting to look throught the Fastenal site but no luck yet there.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Drill press. Plastic block, 1 inch thick. Just tried with a 2 inch hole saw, I mostly melted a hole through the piece.
I turned the RPM down to 300 according to the belt diagram under the lid.

I put some 1.5" diameter holes in other pieces for the same project using a spade bit, there was a poo poo load of chips/mess, but I didn't melt the hole, it actually drilled it.

I'd rather have the mess than the melted holes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mr. Mambold posted:

How many holes? You may want to drill a pilot hole, jigsaw out a lot of the waste, and then clean up with a hole saw. You'd need to have it clamped in place for that last bit, obviously.

A bunch. 12 holes in each piece. Already have the pilot holes in place. Just small ones though. Not big enough for a jigsaw blade. I can enlarge though, but I might run out to lowes and get a forstner bit set.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I used a regular hole saw to do all twelve holes on one piece, and it was a pain. No coolant though, but I went slower, stopped, cleaned the teeth out, went again, stopped, cleaned teeth etc...
I'm sure I saw an Adjustable Spade bit now that I think of it at Home Depot near here, so I might go look for one. No luck looking online for Forstner bits of the proper size. The one I thought I saw on the Lowes website wasn't the right size.
I'd pick something up from amazon, or order it from Fastenal, but I've got the time tomorrow, I'm hoping to finish at least one of these things and install it. If only the metal people would call me back....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks y'all. I ended up getting a 1-7/8" hole saw which was the size I was hoping for to begin with. I just went slow and adjusted my techniques. It wasn't ideal but I got it done. Now I wish the metal place would call and tell me my order is ready so I can finish the job.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yamaha makes good portable generators too. If your main purpose is just " run some extension cords through a window to the outside and turn on the generator as needed" then Yamaha is also a viable option.
We had a few (EF2600) at work and if it didn't start on the first pull then you forgot to turn the switch on.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I recently lost access to a hammer drill and need to buy one for myself. The project at the moment is just drilling some 1/4" holes into brick, which I'm sure literally any hammer drill could accomplish, but I feel stupid spending $50-$100 on a basic corded hammer drill that would be good for this purpose only.

For $70 I can get a no name 1.5" SDS drill with a case and a few bits.

For $120 I can get a reburb Bosch 1" SDS-Plus

Thoughts?

I'd probably go with the Bosch if my budget didn't allow for high end brand new. We've got a few Bosch rotary hammer drill s at work. They're quite good. Get some GOOD bits with it too. Don't cheap out on the bits or you'll probably regret it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bioshuffle posted:

I have a torpedo level, but I can never trust that tiny little bastard. I went ahead and ordered the 24", because it was on sale for 10 dollars on Amazon. If it's too big, I can always just cut it in half and have two 12 inch levels. Win win situation either way.

THIS is why I love this forum, I learn something new every day!
Level too long? Cut it in half!
Tub sitting too high? Cut the floor joists.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, it does include my stud finder :heysexy:

What about levels?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

^^^^^ Yup, Drilling is a motherfuck.
But I've learned a shitload of stuff. Tools, hydraulics, trailer wiring, truck wiring, metal fabrication, wood working, dirt, more dirt, a bit if geotechnical engineering you fuckin name it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Someone needs to make Velcro fastened work boots. Problem is everyone on site would make fun of you. Kinda like the guy on the construction site with Ryobi tools.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

bobua posted:

It finally came! My 4 inch double square never gets put away, which constantly blows my mind because when buying it I kinda thought a 4 incher might not be real useful compared to a lot of other layout tools. Hoping this guy replaces it.

God, even if its not the most precision thing ever (I have no idea if it is or not, not talking poo poo) that thing is fuckin pretty.

canyoneer posted:

It's one way to be sure that nobody will steal them

My dad, me, and a couple of my brothers are going to pitch in to get my nephew, who is working his way to being an electrician, a drill and impact combo for Jesus day. When I talked to my other brother (nephew's dad) about it, he was all like "yeah I got the Ryobi stuff its pretty good", and I told him, "yeah thats some decent poo poo but if I get him that people on job sites might laugh at him, but at least they won't steal it from him". That comment based on what people have posted here in the past!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Jenkl posted:

I wonder if I can strap mine to my back...

Try it. Report back with results.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

MrOnBicycle posted:

What was the original military use for duct tape?

Covering people's mouths.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My drill press got LASERZ motherfuckers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Not sure where this is most appropriate, but I figured I'd get the right answer here.
My friend has a Kerosene heater (don't know what make/model, BTU output etc). Its not *that old* like its not 50 years old. It was bought within the last 15 years, but never used.
Anyway, she wants to do some stuff in her garage in winter and wants to run the heater to keep warm.

She says she'd keep both doors open, but I figure thats a waste of heat since it (the garage) wouldn't actually get warm.
I'm of the opinion that if she keeps the side door cracked, and the lift door open by say a foot or two from the floor, she would probably be warm, while not dying of CO poisoning.

So......... If she keeps the doors mostly closed, will she die or be ok?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

Why are you concerned about operating a heater that is designed to be used indoors while indoors?

I just want to make sure my friend doesn't die.

I'll see to it that she gets one

SpartanIvy posted:

I have a kerosene heater that's 40 years old and as long as you have a tiny bit of fresh air flow you'll be fine.

If you start getting a headache turn it off and get some fresh air. I also personally wouldn't sleep with it on.
Word.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks for all the comments/anecdotes etc. I'm going to check it out this weekend and help her get it lit and all that. I'll make sure to rtfm before we get things going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Megabook posted:

I think you are asking the wrong question. The right question is how else a log splitter could be repurposed as a sex toy? Flywheel or hydraulic, either is fine.
New thread title:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Tools: The right question is how else a log splitter could be repurposed as a sex toy?