Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd decide the amp based on what speakers you end up with. It seems such a shame to suggest Dayton t-amps from Parts-express.com for your beautiful Klipsch speakers. Can I convince you to get Onkyo TX-8255 for your nice speakers anyway? It's not much more expensive than a t-amp but is certain to be more versatile and easier to get rid of if you so decide. It also comes with a remote, so you don't have to place the receiver on your computer desk.

Along this vein, I have a pair of MB1 speakers (http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1.html) that I built years ago. The 2-channel Pioneer Elite I had to drive them broke and now I'm looking for a replacement. Would this Onkyo be a good choice? I'm not opposed to buying used.

edit: Out of curiosity, how much would I be losing in sound quality by getting a 5/7 channel receiver for ~300-400?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hob_Gadling posted:

That Onkyo is a basic receiver. It's a good buy for the price, but it's not gonna stand up to more expensive stereo amps. If you can get a good deal on a used receiver, you definitely should do it. Receivers last a long time.

What a strange comparison. Depending on a lot of things, anywhere from "not much" to "the surround unit will sound better". Do you have a particular reason for getting a surround receiver rather than a stereo setup?

I'm living in an apartment with no real space for surround right now, but there's a chance that I'll move to a bigger place. In all honesty I'd prefer buying as good a stereo amplifier as I can but I've been out of the audio game or a while and don't know what's a good value these days.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is getting a separate pre/pro and amp worth the splurge over a $500-$600 receiver? Am I wrong in thinking it makes sense to buy a decent amp and upgrade the component responsible for switching video/supporting whatever new audio standard comes out?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KozmoNaut posted:

Economies of scale and slowness of new feature adoption make it not worth it to buy a separate pre-pro.

Buy a receiver instead. If you need more power, get one that has preamp outputs and get a power amp.

Gotcha, but then why pay for a crappy amp that you're not using? Or are you saying there are no good processors that you can get for less than a receiver with preouts?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

frest posted:

It's that time again, the seasonal dump of Polk's cheap speaker series on Amazon (and subsequent ripple sales, silent price matches across Newegg etc). I'm not linking anything, this isn't affiliate bullshit, I'm just sharing my cheat sheet for what's a good price that you can get from Amazon or another comparable retailer. This info worked for me at getting people to have slightly better audio at very modest prices. Better than soundbars, that's for sure.

Here's your buying guide of historic price floors. If your current price is this or lower, pull the trigger. These are all the entry Polk products, they're on sale for the next month.

T50 Floorstanding - 75, single
T30 Center - 65
PSW10 10" Sub - 70
T15 Bookshelf - 50, pair

Then there's the sales on the slightly nicer line, which tend to only last for like a week and actually will sell out. You'll probably see any sales on this poo poo pop up on slickdeals or featured in an email

CS10 center - 80
TSi100 Bookshelves - 115 pair
Tsi200 Monitor size - 180 pair
PSW505 12" Sub - 160

Polk's Floorstanding speakers above 100 bucks have got to be the most absurd level of product churn imaginable. I typically see like 5 years of annual product revisions and minor 25/50 price differentials on any retailer's site at any given time. Amazon right now has 5 pages of Polk floorstanding speakers. I can't be bothered to get to the bottom of them, but suffice to say if it has 3 5.25s and a tweeter it's probably going to run 150 on sale.

I haven't done a similar price dive yet on Klipsch but those are showing up on sale frequently nowadays too.

Is the "slightly nicer" line of Polks a decent option if I want to spend ~1k or so on speakers? Where's the sweet spot of price/performance these days?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone want to do http://philadelphia.craigslist.org for decent used speakers? I'm looking for 5.1 for around $1k or so, maybe more if there's something really great.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KingKapalone posted:

Is the Denon AVR-X2300W 7.2 receiver posted on the last page the thread go-to for one around that price? I have one of the thread go-tos circa 2008 in the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K, but I'm thinking about getting an LG OLED C7P so I probably need a new receiver for 4K and Atmos, right? I have a 7.1 setup and a Windows HTPC with Kodi on it.

Bumping this since I have the same question. X2300? Denon 730? Anything else?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

The current models are the xx400 series and the x8500 was just announced so the 300 series is a bit long in the tooth.

Thanks. If my budget is ~$500 (should it be higher?), is one of the Denons my best bet? It seems like Pioneer/Onkyo/Yamaha/Denon all make receivers at that price point. Any reason to go with one over another?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are wirecutter's recommendations for a receiver pretty good? They're recommending the Denon S730/740.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since this like the more active thread, how important is waiting for HDMI 2.1 support in my receiver? I tend to keep my stuff for a decent period of time and don't mind waiting until the summer if needed. TV is an LG OLED, sources will mainly be Apple TV/occasional Blu-ray.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

falz posted:

There's a handy comparison chart here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

I'm not quite sure that I need 32 audio channels but ok.

4k 120hz support seems like it might be useful down the road?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Because I’m confused: will any receiver I buy this year be able to switch 4K/120hz HDMI?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Not if it doesn't say it on the spec sheet.

qirex posted:

Maybe.

No 2020 receivers have been announced officially, some Yamahas leaked at CES but they probably don’t have full 48gbps support and I’d guess they are betting on overbuilt hardware with later updates. I understand the final test suite was only published a few months ago.

Awesome. Follow up question: if I’m not a huge vidya gamer, will there be any 4K/120hz content in the next 5 years?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How important is 4K upscaling in a receiver (versus the TV)? I'm looking at the Denon AVR-X1600H versus the Denon AVR-X2600H. Am I correct in thinking if I'm ok with the lack of the additional inputs, I should just go with the 1600h?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 29, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dogen posted:

It’s not important , upscaling in the receiver is best turned off in most circumstances.

Thanks. Sounds like the X1600H is a solid choice then, versus the X2600H?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dogen posted:

Well the 2600 has a better amp section and a few more hdmi ins/outs. Depends on your use case and the price difference.

It looks like the X1600H can be had for $350 while the X2600 is $450. This would be for a 5.1 system. Our setup is in our attic, so it's not a very far distance from the TV to the couch. I'm not going to be close to maxing the HDMI in/outs.

edit: looks like the X3500 could be had for around $450 too.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 1, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Since there seems to be some discussion here, here's my current system:

LG E9 OLED
lovely Harmon/Kardon 1080p receiver
2 x Homebuilt 2-way speakers that I built for roughly $500-600 in 2005 (these aren't bad tbqh).

I was thinking of upgrading, and to start, I was thinking it makes the most sense to add a subwoofer and upgrade the receiver. Our viewing area isn't huge: maybe 15 x 15 feet, but it's part of our attic upstairs which is larger.

I want to buy a subwoofer that I'd be happy with for years. If my budget for the receiver/sub is 1200ish, would it make sense to get something like the SB-1000? Looks like SVS also has PB-2000s for $700. Would that be a worthwhile upgrade if I'm just looking to get something and forget about it for the next 10 years?

Edit: I guess Hsu makes decent subwoofers too?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 2, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KS posted:

Love my PB12 (the older version of the -2000) and I can't imagine needing to upgrade it. Feels like it has more power than I'll ever need. If I had it to do over again I might be tempted by dual 1000s, though.

Thanks. I guess I could also get a single 1000 and then add one down the road if I feel the need to upgrade. Would the 1000 be too small for my room? We have our home theater in the attic, which is about 15 feet wide, 30 feet long or so, but the actual viewing space is about half of that (since we're viewing along the short end).

edit: although it sounds like for home theater use, a ported subwoofer may be better?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 2, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KS posted:

A ported sub seems like a good fit given the bigger room (less room gain). The $100 off pricing on the PB-2000 is a deal in my book. Didn't know that was going on. Just have to be sure you're ready for 66 lbs of subwoofer.

Thanks. Any reason to get the PB-2000 versus the HSU VT2-mk5 or VTF-3 MK5 HP?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks. Any reason to get the PB-2000 versus the HSU VT2-mk5 or VTF-3 MK5 HP?

I guess no strong opinions?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's a hell of a lot of sub for the money and probably the best deal you're going to find on anything that's not very used. I've seen them go for $400 used even recently and it's free shipping right?

Worth cancelling my HSU VTF-2 order? Ordered it today.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 14, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Eh... I'd put them in different categories. A more apt comparison would be the PB-2000, in which case, the SVS would win it in everything but price.
The PB-12 is still better than the HSU at lower frequencies... which is what a sub is for.
If you don't mind a scratch I'd say the PB-12 is a better deal since you can save almost $150 after figuring in shipping.

Looks like the newer hsu has decent output to 18, maybe a bit lower than the older pb12?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
lol Jesus Christ. And I was thinking my wife might not notice a sub immediately.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a general guide to speakers at various price points somewhere, kind of like we have for TVs?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BigFactory posted:

Speakers come down to personal preference way more than TVs.

Really?

Is there a place that at least has a list of speakers to check out in a given price range? Specifically for home theater use?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yes but that's not a cable, it's an interconnect.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dogen posted:

Get the Denon X series that you can find in stock and fits your budget, there don't seem to be any good deals right now

Kalman posted:

Accessories4Less has the X1500 for 400 and the X1600 for 450, I’d probably go with one of those. (There’s also the comparable S-series receivers - the AVS Forum Denon thread has a good summary of the differences as you step up/down the line that might guide you in figuring out which one you want.)

Yeah, I've been waiting for a good deal on a Denon and it seems like there's nothing. Seems like the x3500 goes on sale for $500 every now and then and would be worth the upgrade, but again, it's been a while since a deal came up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Man, 2020 Denon receiver availability still seems like poo poo (ie, can't get one for cheap on accessories4less).

Maybe 2021s will be better?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

Speaker bros :respek: These things rule, I’ve had my 502.2s for 3 years and am still perfectly happy. I want to thank whoever at AC4L cut a deal with them because they’re basically unknown in the US.

I wish there was a place like rtings for speakers. With TVs, it's nice to know that spending more on a QLED TV will get you less in comparison to an OLED. With speakers, it seems like every manufacturer has a speaker for every budget, and it's not easy to figure out what's worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Listerine posted:

There's so much product I think it would be hard for a group to do. Plus in the end it all comes down to what sounds the best subjectively per person, so there's only so far the written reviews will get you.

qirex posted:

Yeah, speaker tuning is both subjective and highly room dependent. It’s tricky overall but if you stick to good brands you’ll probably do alright. Once you’ve owned a few different models you’ll get a feeling for what you prefer. Very few companies make outright bad speakers nowadays, there some niche companies that definitely have a super distinct house sound like Tekton, Zu, Ohm, etc. that I’d say would need auditioning but most conventional-looking speakers will be safe starting points.

Yeah, I get that, but unfortunately it seems like the choices are either:

1) Go to a local dealer to audition some speakers in their room (which is not your house) and buy them there
2) Gamble on some internet speakers

Auditioning multiple pairs of speakers at home is time consuming and impractical for most people. It seems like most speaker buying comes down to figuring out what your budget is and then finding speakers that cost exactly that. There are few ways to determine whether a pair of speakers that costs $1500 is better than the pair that costs $2000 or vice versa. I want to get a pair of mains/center channel. Do I just go to B&W/Polk/Elac/Paradigm and call it a day?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

Pretty much nobody buys the six figure speakers, they're just there to make the ten to fifty thousand dollar ones look more reasonable. I used to hang out with a guy who worked at a machine shop that did manufacturing for Magico and he said they only made enough parts for the high end speakers to make a few pairs of them, probably all touring models for trade shows.

The 1000-2000/pair range is super crowded, probably because that's the point where manufacturers can start making actual margin on them as opposed to Pioneer who probably makes :10bux: on every pair of those little Andrew Jones bookshelves [which I don't like much personally]. It's also the point where you want to do actual research like in-home listening. Most of the internet brands have home trials and in my opinion if you have access to a local shop they can be cool and worth the sales tax/lack of discounts, as long as you don't borrow 4 sets of speakers then turn around and buy on the internet. Some are not cool though and only really want to talk to tweakos who buy cable risers or home installers so try to find out first.

Fair enough. All I really want is two fronts and a center channel to pair with my HSU sub for home theater. Is 2k a "good enough" budget to get something decent, or is that still in the realm of Pioneer?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

Pretty much nobody buys the six figure speakers, they're just there to make the ten to fifty thousand dollar ones look more reasonable. I used to hang out with a guy who worked at a machine shop that did manufacturing for Magico and he said they only made enough parts for the high end speakers to make a few pairs of them, probably all touring models for trade shows.

The 1000-2000/pair range is super crowded, probably because that's the point where manufacturers can start making actual margin on them as opposed to Pioneer who probably makes :10bux: on every pair of those little Andrew Jones bookshelves [which I don't like much personally]. It's also the point where you want to do actual research like in-home listening. Most of the internet brands have home trials and in my opinion if you have access to a local shop they can be cool and worth the sales tax/lack of discounts, as long as you don't borrow 4 sets of speakers then turn around and buy on the internet. Some are not cool though and only really want to talk to tweakos who buy cable risers or home installers so try to find out first.

qirex posted:

What I was trying to say is you're spoiled for choice, there are almost too many good speakers. At that price point You're looking at Klipsch RP, KEF Q [or even refurb LS50s if you have a decent receiver], B&W, Wharfedale, Martin Logan, maybe even entry level Revel or Dynaudios. If you want to be like Happiness Commando and I you could go Canton [those are actually better than ours]. And that's just scratching the surface.

Oh hey, this place is local-ish to me and has those Magico speakers you mentioned!

https://www.overtureav.com/brands/speakers/floor-standing-speakers/magico/magico-q7-mark-ii/

:stare:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

What I was trying to say is you're spoiled for choice, there are almost too many good speakers. At that price point You're looking at Klipsch RP, KEF Q [or even refurb LS50s if you have a decent receiver], B&W, Wharfedale, Martin Logan, maybe even entry level Revel or Dynaudios. If you want to be like Happiness Commando and I you could go Canton [those are actually better than ours]. And that's just scratching the surface.

qirex posted:

Brands they have that are cool and good and not the price of a cheap house: Focal, B&W, Paradigm, Martin Logan, maybe Sonus Faber or Triad on a stretch.

E: I notice they take trade-ins, might be worth a call to see what they have

This is super helpful, thanks. Those Cantons look great, although unfortunately I have a feeling my wife wouldn't go with the bright white cabinets. When you say "scratching the surface," do you mean that Canton should be something I take a look at? Like I said, I currently have a 2.1 system with an old pair of 2-way speakers I built for $500 back in 2005 and a Hsu sub. Finally getting 3 good speakers for the front and a new receiver seems like a good natural upgrade.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ok Comboomer posted:

Budget? Assuming that Jamo set is in the $400-$900 range, I'd look at the brand new Yamahas that were just released in that price range. Then look at Denon, NAD, and Marantz (but Yamaha seems to be hitting it out of the park everywhere these days)

There should be a thread stickie in the OP that says: "have you looked at Yamaha, Denon, NAD, and Marantz yet?"

Any particular Yamaha models that seem to be go-tos in that range? I'm getting tired of waiting for 2020 Denons to show up on accessories4less.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

Yamaha has 2 series, the V series and A [Aventage] series, and the bottom model in the A series is usually identical to the top model in the V, all that said just get the one with the features you need. The 2020 Aventage receivers aren't out yet. If you have Costco they have the TSR-700 which is a re-badged V6A.

There's also good deals on the older 80 series if you don't need the new HDMI features [none of which are currently present on the 2020 models, just "future update"].

Oh wow, it looks like the TSR-700 is only $330, which seems like a steal for the feature set (including 3 HDMI 2.1 inputs, FWIW). Am I missing something with these compared to the Denons? Seems like you're getting the V6A for the price of the V4A.

edit: looks like it has some lukewarm opinions https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/yamaha-rx-v6a-7-2-channel-4k-8k-dolby-av-receiver-review.17204/

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 28, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dogen posted:

Denon X2700h on sale (list 900 i see them going for 850)

Am I misremembering that the previous X2600 was typically on sale for $500-600ish? I'm waiting for the X2700 to go down in price.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

Older and cheaper receivers have eARC, no receivers have Xbox series X 4k120 support at the moment. Yamaha doesn't currently support high framerate 4k at all, it's a "future update" nobody's seen yet. There is not a single AVR on the market with full, actually working support for 48gbps signals. It's entirely possible nothing for sale today will ever properly support it. If I was in your shoes I'd get something cheaper with eARC and forget about 2.1 switching for a couple years.

If I want a receiver like this, anything better than the denon 750? Seems like they’re easily found for under $400.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kilazar posted:

I just realized I been thinking about this wrong thanks to you :D. Since I'm never going to run my two game consoles THROUGH the receiver, I don't need an 8k capable one. I just need (as you said) something with eARC. So I come back and ask for one more recommendation on a descent 5.1 or even 7.1 unit that will be enough to power the Andrew Jones (we do watch movies at -5 THX relative on movie nights). If that is 90 then cool, I don't know much about powering speakers at that level.

If the price is cheap enough I might buy a couple of ok speakers for surround channel and let my current in ceiling speakers repurpose to atmos.

*edit*
Maybe this guy?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7-2-ch-with-dolby-atmos-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6219445.p?skuId=6219445

euw no banana plugs for some of speaker connections. f that.

Sounds like you and I are in a similar situation, ie, looking for a 4K receiver that can do 5.1 until “good” 8k receivers come out. Maybe the denon s750h? Looks like you can get a refurb for $380. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 12, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kilazar posted:

Thanks, even with those plugs that receiver still doesn't work as it's normal ARC. It's really hard to find a sub 600 receiver with eARC. For some reason I figured a 4k receiver would have eARC when I linked that one.

Denon S750 has it for under $400? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there word on when the 2022 Denons (hopefully with fixed HDMI 2.1) will be released?