Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

for united states people here's a list of fun-to-awesome fights you can watch right now courtesy of the UFC

http://www.ultimatefighter.com/fight-videos/tuf-6-clay-guida-roger-huerta

This is the best fight I've ever seen based 100% on the fight. It had almost no relevance to anything, and I'm not a big fan of either fighter, but the fight itself is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Gomi Pile posted:

except there's wrestling and any smart kid looking to get into mma would already be wrestling. lots of people go into mma later in life without having a background in a combat sport, and they are all bad. as the skill level of the sport rises these guys without athletic backgrounds will be getting crushed at the low levels of the pro ranks.

You are 99.9% right but I have to mention that I'm pretty sure that Rich Franklin's athletic career before becoming a professional fighter was only playing high school football.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

I remember reading a series of articles that covered the history of MMA, which seemed very well written. Unfortunately, I can't remember poo poo about where I found it or its contents other than it went back to the birth of modern MMA, including some of the earliest matches held in Japan that were booked by (I think?) Antonio Inoki. Unfortunately, I can't find it now; I know this is essentially the worst description of a web page ever, but

Also: is there a good source for seeing the strategies behind the major schools that you see used in MMA? I know that wrestlers are based around getting your opponent to the ground ASAP and then loving them, but beyond that I'm not sure of the finer points of BJJ/muay thai/sambo/judo/taekwondo.

I don't know if this is the same one you are talking about but this is from my UFC OP: Welcome to MMA, Here's the History of the Sport.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

To me this was always the coolest muay thai move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zBlvwCUfow

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

arm drags and the people that do them are cool

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

it's like horizontal wallgame

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

BlindSite posted:

If you follow twitter you might want to follow as many fighters as possible along with Dana White and ariel Helwani because they'll post video links to video blogs and or pod casts they're featured in.

https://twitter.com/ufc/fighters

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

getting taken down real hard can hurt your butt and mma judges are very empathetic to butt pain

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Bundt Cake posted:

that is part of the point

The only time I remember him being accused of lay n pray was against Charuto. Which is another example of a time maybe the guy on bottom should've won.

He had a pretty lame performance against Chris Lytle before Chris Lytle became Chris Lytle.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

The Sphinxster posted:

I have a dumb fight terminology question-- I see the term "arm punch" used a little bit. It seems to be a disparaging term.

I am guessing it is like the difference between throwing a ball with just your arm or throwing with proper rotation of shoulders, hips and shifting weight and so forth. Is that about right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_wnt84iyMk&t=303s

Gotta put your rear end into it

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Grifter posted:

For more current stuff there's a documentary about Anderson Silva called Like Water which has been well reviewed but as far as I know hasn't been distributed so it would be hard to find.

For what it's worth, Like Water did get picked up last month and is scheduled to be released sometime this year but it sounds like it will be a limited release or Video On Demand or something.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

it's important that butt scooting be neutralized so please legalize stomps and soccer kicks.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

BlindSite posted:

There was some bullshit promotion out here a year or two ago where Karo parisyan cornered Carlos Newton and was fighting later on the card. Other than that I can't recall.

I've seen this happen at local fights several times

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Also they are awesome when they work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Gmn3YDxJo

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

david carmichael posted:

we should do some kind of group watch of a bunch of that trio's fights sometime. really compelling stuff on a lot of levels.

This is a cool idea and I would totally be down for it

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Kuno posted:

I've been watching this gay sport for about 2 months and thought it would be cool to go watch the first UFC on fightpass. It was so amazing I immediately watched the next two as well.

I guess my general question is how the gently caress did the UFC survive long enough to turn into the vaguely respectable sport it is now.

That is actually a pretty good question and I'm not sure there is a great answer besides "insane billionaires". These rich dudes bought it for $2 million and then proceeded to dump around $40 million into it over 4 or 5 years and were finally at their wits ends (and pondering selling it off) when it started becoming a real thing and making money.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Gadamer posted:

I'm still fairly new to the sport, but I have been training bjj for a little over a year now (:eng99:). A grappling showcase would be one I can approach with at least some knowledge, even if they aren't the most exciting.

It's probably getting dated by now, but Jason MacDonald vs Maia at UFC 87 was my gold standard for a long time.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

fatherdog posted:

It is a measure of just how badly Louiseau got the poo poo beaten out of him in that fight that he knocked Franklin down twice and still got 50-42 scorecards.

You know it's a good round when one fighter gets knocked down and unquestionably still wins the round

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some funny/notable stories of fighters missing weight? I just read about Shark Fights 17, where Karl Knothe missed weight by 24 pounds as nobody told him his fight with Ricco Rodriguez was signed at a 230 catchweight instead of the 265 he trained for. He was disqualified. Is there a better story out there?

TUF 4 was The Comeback season and they invited a bunch of veterans who been not doing well lately to come on the show and get free food and housing for several weeks and just focus on training and becoming better fighters and get back into the UFC. Most of them took this opportunity very seriously because this was their career already (there wasn't a ton of drama in house that I remember) and the two winners of the season would INSTANTLY get a title shot in their respective weight classes. Travis Lutter won for the Middleweight division and got a title shot against Anderson Silva, who had already crushed Chris Leben and Rich Franklin, and looked scary as gently caress. At the first weigh in, Lutter came in at 187, two pounds over weight for a title fight. 2 hours later on his second attempt, he weighed in at 186.5 so the fight became a non-title fight after all.

Lutter did okay in the fight for a little bit and even had Anderson Silva mounted at one point before losing. I think it's pretty conceivable in retrospect that if he hadn't had such a bad time cutting weight, he had a real chance at winning and becoming a UFC champion. He lost his next fight to Rich Franklin too and became the first TUF winner to ever be cut from the UFC. He went 1-1 outside of the UFC before retiring.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

david carmichael posted:

Ruke dufus is big fan

lol

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Memento posted:

With the USADA do you guys pronounce each letter or do you say like you-SAA-da?

Dumb question I know.

You saw duh

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Cubone posted:

What's the origin/meaning of the word "classic" in the titles of wrestling events? ("Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic", "CruiserWeight Classic") Just some old school carny poo poo?

"It's a guaranteed classic, ladies and gentlemen, this thing that has not happened yet. Hurry hurry hurry"

clas·sic
/ˈklasik/
adjective
judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
"a classic novel"
synonyms: definitive, authoritative; More
noun
a work of art of recognized and established value.
"his books have become classics"
synonyms: definitive example, model, epitome, paradigm, exemplar; More
a school subject that involves the study of ancient Greek and Latin literature, philosophy, and history.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

max allowed is based on ur body weight. i cant remember the exact amount per kg but u wont reach it without pills or powder

butt chugging a two liter of coke before i fight is my secret weapon

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Log posted:

What website is the least horrible for MMA news? I've been busy for a few months and it seems like they all blow. A lot.

I think MMA Junkie is probably somehow the most legitimate, although their website is terrible and has a video autoplay on every page. MMA Mania has been pretty reliable for me for awhile now.

On the side, there was an interesting article on Deadspin yesterday that kind of underscored how lovely of a company SB Nation is and why lots of their coverage (like Bloody Elbow) is so bad. I think MMA Mania just basically reports new and is better for it, rather than trying to inject terrible opinions like BE.

DumbWhiteGuy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 15, 2017

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

He was good but not bathtub good

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

He was juicing for every fight.

he is definitely off the juice now that he is in bellator though

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Memento posted:

Which fight best shows off Vitor Belfort in all of his pure-horsemeat special-sauce glory?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Wasn't there an arm break in the Liddell/Franklin fight?

Did I dream that Randy got his arm broke vs Gonzaga?

yeah both of these are correct. it's not really uncommon for it to happen. the franklin/chuck one and the early forrest griffin vs Edson Paredao are the ones i always think of

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

has anyone ever won a fight with a big ol wind up punch?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

He'd get wrecked by pretty much any amateur fighter let alone a professional one.

Here's a Chinese MMA fighter that was at best OK at MMA, but he's found a niche going around clowning every 'master' that says the same types of things you say in your post. He literally gets hosed with by the CCP because he shits all over their state martial arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycu7dvHBzk0

i've been following this guy for awhile and all his videos really kick rear end because he just beats the poo poo out of these wushu masters

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Cam I please get a life update on elite xc’s resident rapper Jared “$kala” Shaw? His Twitter is dead, I hope he isn’t too.

what are the odds this is just gary shaw's personal info

anyway i can't find anything about his son

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

possible answer: poster has shy arteries that refuse to be compressed

more likely answer: jiu jitsu isnt real

every once in awhile, someone remembers you can just step over the bjj person and completely neutralize them

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

I'm watching DAZN boxing tonight and a guy sounded like Frank Shamrock was commentating. Which leads me to the question, what ever happened to Frank Shamrock because I remember he got braces to do more desk work and I haven't heard anything about him in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

I recall hearing him actually dying due to an allergic reaction to hash which caused his brain to swell, but I don't know if that's true. Supposedly he almost died from it once before and they told him he needed to stop but he was already living that kind of lifestyle.