Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I doubt it was any sort of savvy negotiating strategy but Jones has hyped the fight better than he ever could through poo poo talking. He took a fight he won and has convinced the world he is scared of Gus and wants nothing to do with a rematch. His attempts as poo poo talk would come off as forced and fake, ducking Gus sells the fight.

I dunno man, I think Jones has copped a lot of flak lately for appearing to not want to fight anyone let alone Gus, if he flipped the switch and came out aggressive I think it was draw a lot of attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Would this not be a lot easier to do when blocking huge boxing gloves? Could it work in MMA?

I see people punch elbows and forearms all the time, though it never looks intended to hurt.

I'm pretty sure Jon Jones used his forarms and elbows to block a lot of glover's shots in their fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grifter posted:

Has Matt Brown actually improved in his sub defense? I recently rewatched the Brown/E. Silva fight and I have to believe that the Brown who got subbed by Seth Baczynski would have gotten RNC'd by Silva during the early part of the first round.

I would imagine that in the last three years he's improved his sub defense somewhat, if from nothing else, just the sheer number of reps he's gotten from training, but he's also gotten better at keeping fights on the feet. I don't think it'll be overly important against Lawlor because he seems to like standing in tight and fighting.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There were points in Roufus' podcast with Rogan where I cringed he was talking about certain sparring sessions they'd have where guys would be going to war in his gym and he was bragging about how he always had people leave who weren't tough enough.

Rogan has spoken about it before too and that's that a lot of guys have had occasions where they were knocked out in the weeks leading up to their fights and then been loving starched during really easily. Concussions occurring close together and consistently are worse for you than big ones further apart. These stories are shocking. most gyms these days advocate stopping as soon as someone gets wobbled and then that's it for their week at the least. This kind of mentality is loving stupid and now its more than likely contributed to a kid getting killed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The other really common way they come about is to rock someone with a punch or head kick and then jump on someone. Faber does this quite a lot, Tito did it to Bader as well.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yuriy posted:

bad steak tartare with a bad quail egg

the culprit is unknown and yet the only real surprise is that diego knew what those things were when he ordered them

I still like the fact he was dumb enough to order raw meat and eggs for dinner after being on a strict diet and weight cutting regime for the weeks prior. Even if the ingredients were fresh it wouldn't be my first choice.

It's up there with Chris Leben eating a hundred dollars worth of candy after his weight cut and getting gastro from it before the Stann fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

vainman posted:

George Foreman was the king of cutting guys off in boxing. He was so slow and patient about setting himself up and then unloading.

Joe Frazier was good at walking dudes down too. Really if you dial up any fighter who was short for his weightclass but still wrecked poo poo you're going to be on the money. Chris Weidman cutting off Machida was brilliant too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah sakuraba's career goes from heroic to tragic pretty badly toward the end.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nate Diaz v Ben Henderson was pretty funny, if for nothing else at one point Nate Diaz chooses to counter Bendo by flipping him off.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ditch posted:

How is it determined which fighters get points for being Cool MMA Dads given how many of them are, well, dads? Obviously the Jon Jones of the world aren't going to get any fatherhood cred, but I'm curious about Coleman. After watching various Countdown and Embedded videos it seems like there are a lot of Dadtastic fighters.

Same way someone gets MMM status.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In terms of fighting from range you could do a lot worse than watching Joanna Jędrzejczyk

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coleman got kicked to death pretty early on IIRC.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

i remember thinking in r1 'this is not the normal lawler'. there was much less angles, feints and head movement then what i'd become accustomed to and it stood out. it returned in r2. don't know how accurate this is as i was wasted by that point. can't wait to watch it again.

Yeah I posted in the GDT about it, there was a point in the second round where he started using angles to get round Rory's jab and punished him, then he stopped doing it mid way in the third and didn't go back to it. thought it was weird.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Right I get that but my question is what should the ref do when someone isn't letting go. Mazzagatti went into pull them apart but that seemed more dangerous.

Put his hands on the guys hands stop him from continuing to manipulate maybe. I think it might have been Mazzagatti a few years ago who got a reaming from G-sots when he grabbed his hands when he was kimuraing Lauzon and pulled at his hands in a way that actually cranked it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

red19fire posted:

Big John runs a MMA ref certification course where he goes over this stuff on a basic level. He wants refs to take BJJ classes (and possibly have a minimum purple belt) so that they can recognize the setups for submissions, the subs themselves, and also how to safely peel apart fighters without causing more damage.

Purple is a little crazy. I never got past a blue belt and I don't think I've ever missed a set up watching MMA. might be a bit different in the cage than when you're sinking beers on the couch.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Big John is a black belt, as are both Yamasakis and I believe Herb Dean.

I'm guessing Mazzagatti has something because he runs his own academy of something, but he fucks it up quite a bit.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gadamer posted:

Hey now, I did know enough to watch that before searching for anything else. I also watched a few of the documentaries around the sport.

Blessed with venom is a cool documentary if you like punchkickmans.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Part of the difference to is that for years Royce was all about bjj whereas Rhonda is already probably the best striker in her division. Such great heights and all that but all you gotta be is better than the person across from you.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Franklin/Loiseau is the living ideal of the fight that just breaks a fighter permanently, and it's wonderful.

Yeah that fight is crazy when you consider the spiral loiseau went down afterwards.

Also great is watching what anderson did to franklin after.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

When did the UFC implement the rule that they don't grant you a 1lb allowance for title fights? Maybe it's a wrong article but I'm reading about Travis Lutter's weight cut for Anderson and it's saying he needed to hit 186.5, not 185, in order to make weight.

It varies from state to state and country to country. I think its generally due to potential inaccuracies in scales.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

bobby southworth on TUF season one couldnt make weight which culminated in chuck and koscheck locking him into a sauna with a bike while he rolled around and moaned pathetically, missed weight, and Dana promised he'd never fight in the UFC.

jason guida was too fat to make 205(?) by like .8 of a pound or something, his coach suggested he shave his head but he refused and kept saying "i cant do it doc" to the commission guy who was in no way a doctor.

Funny thing about Southworth is that every time I've seen his fight with Stephan Bonnar I always have it for Southworth. Also Jason Guida as a person will never not be a giant joke and I think that's just fantastic.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

The champ is always in the red corner so walks out and is introduced second, I can't think of a single time its been different

Yeah, challenger always has blue wraps.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

this is also true. one of the gyms i trained at sent people to these goofy pankration tournaments where you weren't allowed to strike the head at all because it was one of the only places to get competition experience in an mma-ish environment.

I went to one of those once and saw my MT instructor throw about 30 leg kicks into this dudes leg from the jump and folded the guy inside about 10 seconds. It looked like something out of a bad movie. Just walked out, saw the dude was like 0 danger on the feet, threw a hard one, dropped his leg into a lead position and just torqued a whole bunch more into him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mewse posted:

Jon Jones started fighting originally because he didn't pull out

Sexual chocolate aint no do nothing bitch.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Guys we lost our punch sport overlord.

Wtf is even happening?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

There were worked fights but I don't think there's any evidence bas rutten fights were rigged, and they certainly didn't look like it. Bas was legit really good.

Its one of those things. Because some fights were worked its hard to give all of them credibility. There were definitely a lot of stoppages bas pulled off where someone got hosed up whether or not they were taking a dive.

Either way bas was legit in his day.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

If Ronda had listened to her mom, she might still be a fighter and champ today.

If Ronda listened to anyone in the industry outside of Edmund she'd still be champ.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The threads and Twitter tbh. Mmamedia is a poo poo show.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think its more its a lot easier to punch the gently caress out of someone from halfguard.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I would say Barão was never that bad but his post bathtub career hasn’t proven otherwise. He’s a hardheaded dude who hits hard and is good on the counter and impossible to take down, which is probably good for top 15 at 145

Barao was always really good at range with a jab, leg kicks and excellent take down defense. When someone could slip and get inside he'd get really wild - wouldnt roll his shoulders or reset his hands etc. Tj exploited the gently caress out of that.

His downfall was kind of two fold in that he was struggling to stay at 135 and the cut was becoming dangerous and his chin started to go around the same time.

He has good outside skills but when they would fail him in those few instances at the mid point of his career he could bite down and trade and come out ahead. When he lost the latter ability he started his backslide really quickly. Having said that his losses came against dillashaw, Stephens and sterling which is a pretty good group.

The sterling one was a bit weird but he got the poo poo kicked out of him in the 2nd after sterling bumrushed him with punches, clipped him and landed a takedown.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I would literally take prime Fedor in a bet over just about any other heavyweight in their prime. His ability to win fights was insane.

I'd take Cain in a heartbeat.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Prime Cain v Prime Fedor in the clinch would have been pretty amazing to watch imo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I saw some little kids doing muay thai. They looked like miniature Michelin men going out there. It was pretty hilarious.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Combat sports is a weird quasi professional industry. That level of incompetence is not something you find surprising after following combat sports for a few years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Frazier did it all with one eye too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

No Idea, I've never been taught to strike or trained in MMA unfortunately. But if it is then it still sounded much scarier coming from Tyson with his dead eyes than it would from a coach I'm sure.

It's how my dad taught me to throw a punch and just about every coach I've ever had has done too. It's pretty standard.

Tyson was just a rediculous genetic mix who happened to find two coaches who could turn him into an irresistible destructive force.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Let's go with no just to antagonize your friend.

I know someone had one break and pinch his ballsack. I want to say one of the nogs?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

Not sure where else to ask this but does anyone here watch ONE? I used to watch it on the Bleacher Report Live Youtube channel but they haven't uploaded the events in months so I stopped following it. I went to the Bleacher Report website but it looks like nearly just an RSS feed of tweets and news snippets. I installed their app and it's the same exact content

Where do I watch ONE events? (I'm in the US)

edit: OK, looks like they shut down the B/R Live Youtube channel that I used to watch the ONE events on and migrated everything to the main Bleacher Report channel and that's where they will be now.

I just use their app.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think hes on the spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe this is outside the scope of this thread, but Gordon Ryan is a dickhead and most likely juicing right?
Does the Danaher Death Squad split and Danaher staying with Ryan implicitly say that Danaher is ok with all of that?

I guess I'm disappointed that GSP still associates with them:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXNBTbFrcSd/

Feel free to link me to relevant discussion if it's happened in any of the grappling threads.

I can forgive GSP for still being bros with Danaher and tbh I tend to think that everyone at the highest levels of grappling at juicing to some degree. I hate the Lance armstrong "everyone is doing it so it's ok" so I won't make it but I can see why some guys think its [schaub] super necessary [/schaub] to remain competitive.