Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
He also said that the fight before that last one, his medical bills ended up being higher than what he was paid. So he was not fighting in protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

mobn was banned because he toxx'ed himself to lose weight, and then half-way through the toxx, he didn't lose any weight, and claimed that he had a pimple on his thigh, and so he could not work out or it would get infected.

e: and he posted pictures of his wife that makes Dos Santos's wife look like a super model by comparison.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 29, 2013

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Forceholy posted:

I was watching Mayweather school a ginger today when I noticed that boxing matches (30-36 min.) are longer than MMA fights (15-25). Is there a reason for this?

Because they are different sports. Football and Basketball have different times as well.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Casual MMA fan question: why exactly did John Fitch get cut from UFC?

You get to stay in the UFC if you are either winning or exciting. In Jon Fitch's last 4 fights in the UFC he was one win, two losses, one draw. That one win is over someone who is 3-3 (in the UFC). Fitch was almost never exciting.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Random question, I made a bet with my friend that steroids help you if you train or not. I remember reading here on PSP about 4-6 months ago about this study that a group doing no exercise gained 7 pounds of muscle vs the control group. I've googled my hardest, but I can't find that study anymore. Anyone have a link?

I specifically remember someone making a joke that the steroid would be perfect for Rampage Jackson.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

BlindSite posted:

You might have better luck talking to Shiny sides in the A/T thread, but the biggest benefit of roids for training is increased energy levels and quick healing.

I am thinking of this one specific study, the group taking the steroids gained muscle, and the control group didn't. And both groups didn't work out.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

MagicCube posted:

I had it before and couldn't find it, but I just put "steroid study" into google and it popped up first result.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/steroids-vs-natural/

I bow to your K-1 level googling.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nostradingus posted:

I hear that boxing is corrupt. In what ways?

This is not a sarcastic post; I am literally ignorant about all things boxing.

Champions are protected from any fighters that pose a real threat to them.

Champions will fight 20-0 fighters, so that it looks like they are being challenged. When in fact the 20-0 fighter has only beat up cans, and posed no threat at all to the champion.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Why do fighters paw at one another during stand-up? Is it to establish reach? Or to see if an opponent is going to check your hand motion?

They are trying to poke their opponent's eye.

I wish the ref would deduct a point every time a fighter extends their hand with their hand open.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Is there any unified mma rules concerning manipulating the ears? No small joint manipulation, no fish hooking. But could someone grab your ear and pull?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

[ joe sperg]
OMG Anderson Silva KO'd that guy with an uppercut using his elbow!!!!
/joe]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Fozzy The Bear posted:

[ joe sperg]
OMG Anderson Silva KO'd that guy with an uppercut using his elbow!!!!
/joe]

Captain Log posted:

Don't forget when Anderson Silva killed a man with a standing elbow out of boredom.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Pretty sure you can try out FightPass for free for one month.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Dangersim posted:

Reports of Melendez almost getting ko'd were greatly exaggerated

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

UFC video game curse came early

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

1st AD posted:

It's real funny to think that the #3 light heavyweight murdered a middling lightweight fighter.

And lost to a middling lightweight fighter too. Rich Clementi was 169, Rumble was 177.5.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I thought this was the combat sports thread. Can someone explain what a shoot and work is?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

UFC thread had the answers

fatherdog posted:

"Shoot" and "work" are prowrestling terms. A "work" or "worked match" is a predetermined pro-wrestling match. A "shoot" is a real fight. To "shoot" on someone means to break script and go after them in a worked match/situation.

Pancrase as an organization started out as a branchoff of a stiff-styled prowrestling organization, with the concept of doing "shoot fighting". It's generally thought that the early cards were mostly stiff works, with one or two shoots per show, and eventually as MMA became a popular sport in it's own right in Japan it transitioned to being just another mma org.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Vitamin Boss posted:

arghh, dangit

Wait, do we only have pro wrestling mods now?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Dan Didio posted:

I have good news, and bad news.

Bad news first... wait... is Atom the new mod?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Stairmaster posted:

does boxing gently caress up your brain more than football?

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/25/539198429/study-cte-found-in-nearly-all-donated-nfl-player-brains

110 out of 111 NFL brains have CTE.
Earlier study said 87 of 91 have CTE.

I can't find any good numbers for boxing. MMA is too new to get good numbers.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Captain Log posted:

drat. I haven't used a computer in years so I was hoping for something without advertising to break a phone.

But I'm getting a computer this week, so I'm saving those bookmarks.

If you ever work at Dell for a period of time you will leave literally hating technology.

You can install adblock on phones.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

david carmichael posted:

When i think non attribute fighter i think jon fitch, jake shields, donald cerrone, etc

Forrest Griffin.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

kimbo305 posted:

Has he said if he was juicing for the first Anderson fight?

He was juicing for every fight.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there a website for long form journalism on combat sports? Not articles on who won the recent fight, but deep dives on fighter biographies, gym drama, etc etc. Like, a breakdown of what went wrong in Rhonda Rousey's training and career would be an example of what I'm looking for.

Those aren't very profitable for the websites. When you come across one you like, look up the author on twitter and follow him. It tends to be the same 2-4 guys writing them all. One good one is: https://twitter.com/ChuckMindenhall
https://www.themith.com/

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I'm watching DAZN boxing tonight and a guy sounded like Frank Shamrock was commentating. Which leads me to the question, what ever happened to Frank Shamrock because I remember he got braces to do more desk work and I haven't heard anything about him in years.

He posts on social media occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Eat The Rich posted:

Note: I've had about six glasses of scotch and I'm drunk and I'm gonna do a little rambling.

I found a love for wrestling through eyepatch wolfs video about wrestling. It led me to AEW after a touch of NJPW and just following it up with a whole lotta love for Kenny Omega and the Golden Lovers.

I guess what I wanna know is how everyone keeps up with pro wrestling. I followed AEW hard until recently and I've seen a few shows live. I watched CM Punk lose to MJF in Chicago and I saw the seventh ladder match in LA between Penta and The Elite. But I've focused on projects or games or life.

How do you keep up with wrestling when life prevents you? How do you not listen to Battle Cry on repeat? How do I as a semi-new fan not lose the plot?

I feel like I know the answer, which is watch the things! They're coming to a mile away from me and I have tix and I'm super pumped but haven't found time to watch at all.

Fake edit: I HEAR THE BATTLE CRY ARE YOU READY FOR THIS

Edit: I feel like there was a joshi subforum and I'm gonna be so pissed if sober me finds a wrestling-specific subforum

prof wrestling isn't combat or a sport :lol: