Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Ok so here's a dumb question: Sometimes when one fighter is on his back, with the other guy standing over him, the fighter on his back will put his hands behind his head like he's relaxing. What's that for?

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Called guillotines a myth on the same night a fighter was put to sleep with one.

Yea but JJ did it Marcelo style/ Mckenzie style AKA the only real guillotine. Standard guilloties are for scrubs.

Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a guy concede a takedown to go for a guillotine. It's happened like 500 times and the only time it actually worked was for that British lightweight guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 5, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Watch "The Smashing Machine" if you want to learn about the soul crushing misery that is Mark Kerr's existence. Also Mark Coleman is in there.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

edit: wow whoops meant to say this in the UFC thread lame.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 5, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

So how did Muay Thai end up in Brazil anyway. It's from Thailand, right? Why do basically all Brazillian fighters seem to specialize in it?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Haha not only has he never gone to a decision-- he went on a five year streak of first round endings, TWICE. WHAT A WARRIOR get this guy in the ufc.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

I love GSP too, and can even forgive him for the Shields fight because of the eye thing, but not being able to finish Hardy is inexcusable.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

He seems like a very nice man though and I don't think we've ever heard anyone in the fight business say a bad thing about him (BJ Penn excluded), so I am just kinda neutral about his fights now, and hope he goes back to doing cool fight things eventually. Maybe we need another Hughes fight.

edit: Forgot about his season of TUF. If you can watch that and come away hating GSP then get in my guard fucker.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 16, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Alex Caceres is a street fight man and has won real UFC fights for real, so that's pretty good, even if he is kind of a goof. Plus he made Edwin Figueroa put on an impromptu fire safety class and that was funny.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

red19fire posted:

Can someone explain who the Garv is? From what I can gather, I think he was a poster here that used SASMMA opinions and posts as articles on his website. It looks like he has a local NY/NJ MMA site.

He is a lovely journalist who pretended to be his own biggest fan on SAS to get readers. He posted some dreadful Fedor fan fiction BS in an attempt to get people to like him. After he was exposed as awful and unfunny he did the world's worst puppet master routine, and now occasionally writes irrelevent mma articles that no one cares about.

I do not care for him.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 16, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

Have there been any notable suicides in MMA? The Jovan Belcher story has got a lot of people talking about the correlation between traumatic brain injury and mental health again, (I don't follow football so I don't know many specifics on that argument in relation to the NFL, but it made me think about my favorite sport in which people punch-kick one another's heads a lot.)

Not yet, but Penn's decided to be the first. :twisted:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

JPrime posted:

Oh tell me there's video of this. :allears:

It was Chuck Liddell vs Babalu 2 iirc

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 5, 2013

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Sounds to me like you're thinking of Marlon Sandro vs Pat Curran

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

LordPants posted:

When did GSP stop break-dancing?

He only does that after a finish. :(

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Thanks guys, I grabbed the free trial. UFC 1 is loving bonkers. Is there a thread for asking for suggestions for what else to watch, or is doing so here kosher?

Check this'n out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642892

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

If we're just doing Moments then

And where's that gif of those two guys on a UFC prelim, where they are both on their backs throwing just the worst punches ever at each other?