Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

1st AD posted:

We should really update those top 10 lists because they are out of date. Also Fedor is there, gently caress that guy.

Updating the list month by month would be a pain. Major sports/mma websites have their lists which get updated frequently and are decent guides. http://espn.go.com/mma/rankings/_/class/welterweight. Select the classes at the top p4p pound rankings don't mean poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah, you must've been knocked out, if you thought you had a good time at Hooters with Donald Cerrone.

Dude, that would probably kickass.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

LordPants posted:

Well, considering they check for alcohol, and pain killers both of which are also legal...

And caffeine levels if I remember correctly.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

That is a valid scoring criteria in certain zip codes.

I think he meant looked better as in was more active. By all accounts Jones lost hard under Stockton Rules.

e- beaten

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

What is the most someone has been over weight in the UFC?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Does Anthony Johnson have some sort of medical problem that causes him to miss weight dramatically for most fights or is he just a moron?

He should have never been fighting at the lower weights to begin with, and was bad at cutting.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

John Cena posted:

im now a licensed mma/boxing judge in the grand state of mississippi, how do i be better than adalaide byrd?

Give out 10-8s and 10-10s when appropriate.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Doesn't he also have a say over judges/refs and specifically assigns judges/refs the UFC doesn't like to their cards? I'm almost positive he is in control of who refs what and assigned Mazagatti to ref a main event recently. I remember Dana blowing a gasket about it. Basically Kizer makes awful decisions, practices nepotism, and protects all of his officials from blame regardless of how transparently garbage they are.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 12, 2014

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I dislike him because he's disingenuous, attempted to murder someone for slapping him, and has been difficult to deal with. Him praising Weidman saying he's the best twice than having a list of excuses after both fights despite getting dominated was also annoying.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

red19fire posted:

I believe Silva had pretty much the same mindset as Jones, that those fights were below him and not worthy competition. But instead of burying them on twitter or namecalling random UFC fans on instagram, Silva took the fights anyway and breakdance-fought through them in half-joking fashion. A true Champion.

It doesn't matter what fighters think. Silva thought Weidman wasn't on his level mostly do to his lack of name value and small amount of fights and we all know what happened with that. Similar situation with JBJ and Gus. Funnier still after Gus beat JBJ and was robbed, fan interest is big for the rematch, but he actively tried to poopoo the fight saying Gus hadn't earned a rematch despite wrecking Manuwa in the meantime. Fighters thoughts on matchups really never matter as there are rarely squash matches/unworthy opponents unless a division is very shallow or there are injury replacements.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Valeyard posted:

I want to follow UFC, learn stuff about fighters in general. Other than reading the UFC thread what is the best news source? A kind of vague question I know, but assume I won't get to watch most PPVs and still want to know what's happening day to day

Twitter and Ariel Helwani's MMA hour show have basically everything covered. Ariel's show is online and he does intereviews and then talks about the big stories. Somebody compliled a big list of who to follow for news in an MMA twitter thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613870

Really you only need to follow BJ Penn though if you want the basics. His account steals news from around the web and puts it up really quick.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

attackmole posted:

Any recommendations for good old-school boxing fights to watch? I don't know poo poo about boxing.

Ali Frazier 1 is a great place to start.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Valeyard posted:

I am playing through the latest UFC game just now.

It's way easier to get someone into a submission immediately after THEY take me down to the ground with a shoot - is this how it actually works in real life?

I take it you mean they're on top? Then no, unless someone really fucks up and gives up their neck for a guillotine while completing a takedown. Fighters like to be on top unless they are extremely unskilled there/their opponent has good BJJ on their back.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If you have fight pass watch this documentary.
http://www.ufc.tv/video/fighting-for-a-generation
It covers most of it and is quite interesting.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

You can take books with you and read them, they aren't loud and they usually have lots of interesting information that is hard to capture in a short video.

Why are you getting incredulous over someone asking for a book recommendation?

e- To the guy asking the question, I read a book a long time ago that I can't remember the name of, but any good boxing book worth it's salt will mention fighters and fights that exemplify styles/style matchups etc. I would reccommend tracking the fights down on youtube after you've taken in the information yourself to get a better idea of what they're talking about. Not only are you able to see the details in action, but boxing was way better back in the days authors usually draw their samples from. Ali Frazier 1 is basically timeless. It's not like watching MMA from 15 years ago.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 25, 2015

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gadamer posted:

Would we see a drastic shift in match ups if they turned weigh-ins to day of? It seems that if they did that roughly the same people would be fighting, just shifted up one weight class. The only conflict I can see is the really big guys who need to cut down to 265lb.

It would cause fighters to severely dehydrate right before fights instead 24 hrs before which is more dangerous for the fighters health. Wrestling tournaments have had same day weigh ins and the athletes wrestle incredibly drained to keep their size advantage. It would probably be in everyone's interests to fight within 5 lbs of their walking around weight but because people can't be trusted to not game the system it will never happen.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

MMA doesn't needs a specific term for every single scenario like baseball or something. The sport has gotten along fine for years with people saying "he kicked his rear end" "he got robbed" "he was fitched" etc. I think the closest thing you'll get to what you're looking for is "he won every round convincingly".

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Sharzak posted:

I'm an mma fan who has been watching some boxing lately. There seem to be a few boxers on insane win streaks--I think GGG, chocaltito and Mayweather all have 20+ wins and I could be unaware of some others. How come boxing has win streaks like this as opposed to mma where any double digit win streak is insane? Not really expecting a definitive answer but wouldn't mind people in the know articulating on it a little bit

Records get padded out heavily for promotional reasons. As to how and when it got to that point I don't know, but it's been the case for a long time now. To start with there's the fact that most prospects fight tons of amateur fights before they turn pro (which they might lose in) that doesn't go on their record. Most MMA fighters leap to pro fights very quickly regardless if they take place on a gambling boat in front of 20 people or not. Even after prospects have shown they are capable enough to be a top talent they still get fed a ton of cans when they turn pro and also during their peak in between actual challenging fights. It's just the nature of the business. People have become so conditioned into thinking 30-6 looks like a poo poo record in boxing that boxers and their promotional teams really pad them out. Most boxers don't actually start taking challenging fights until they've become a name/draw and are secure in taking a loss. They get to choose their own fights, they aren't matched up with someone at their skill level instantly by a central organization like the UFC. To aid in the padding of records and promotion it's worth noting that boxing is ridiculously corrupt to it's core. Judges and refs frequently favor prospects regardless of in ring action and this trickles down to the lowest levels. I watched a prospect fight a journeyman kid from philly in atlantic city about a month ago and I'm not kidding you when I say the dude from Philly won all but maybe one round and then lost on the cards as the entire arena booed. I don't even remember if this was a televised event or not. One of the things you can be glad about while watching the UFC is knowing that the bad decisions happen just because of sheer incompetence on behalf of the judges based on the number of times poo poo judging has derailed the UFCs business interests. A few of the many advantages the UFC has over boxing when it comes to promotion are that they are their own massive promotional machine, they can force the best to fight the best, and that the fans understand a 15-9 record doesn't mean someone is poo poo.

There's a lot more to this and I'm not an expert/rambling but you get the point. Boxing is a clusterfuck with the ABC belts, opponent dodging, can crushing, etc. and it's a shame the sport is where it is because great boxing matches that are fairly reffed and judged between top talents might be my favorite thing to watch in combat sports. They just rarely happen.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 27, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ditch posted:

So why the hell do boxing fans put up with long can-crushing runs to build up a superfight?

Conditioning. Also people still watch Barcelona vs Getafe or the Warriors vs the Lakers etc. A lot of people enjoy watching their fighter/team blowout the competition even if it's a foregone conclusion. I'd rather boxers be fighting others at their level like in the ufc but I've still definitely tuned in to watch GGG dismantle a no name before.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 29, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Every time that comes up I remember the insane online Korean comments about Misaki vs. Akiyama.

?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Anti-Japanese sentiment is very much alive in Korea, and when Misaki's win was overturned because Akiyama's glove was brushing the mat, I saw comments like "Shitpanese backstabbing weak girl ME-SUCKY is a cheater!!!" It was just the craziest thing.

I know all about Korea/Japan I just wanted to see the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why is the McGregor vs. Mayweather fight such a big deal?

The most marketable boxer of the past two decades vs the most marketable mma fighter of the past 20 years and the general public has been sold on the fact that it could be competitive