Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Boody posted:

As someone slightly younger who grew up quite close to area Ennis is from I think you are missing the ball on this one. That's assuming you don't believe that Prodzilla and Atom-Mick are real.

I don't know, when I visited Dublin a lot of the young guys wore track suits, chains, and a mean mug. I figured Maginty was just an expression of that, except black.

It was a little disconcerting hearing an Irish accent from people who were of Asian or East Indian descent. I mean, it makes sense, they're from Ireland, it was just so different than what I'm used to.

One aspect I did like about Barracuda is that even though he dressed like a "gangsta" he hated hip/hop music. He always dug more laid back stuff, or old blues like "Stagger Lee" instead. A nice counter point to how the character presented himself.

He really is a weird alternate reality version of Castle. Black instead of white, chaotic instead of lawful, Army versus a Marine. Seriously entertaining though, and the way Ennis did his final moments, with his life flashing before his eyes, was very cinematic. It made the comic move instead of being static.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
There is enough unaccounted for time between Barracuda and Long Cold Dark that you could tell quite a few Barracuda stories.

I'm torn between wanting more of the awesome that is 'Cuda and not want to ruin the character through over use. I mean, he's a bit of a cliche, but he subverts it as well. Like, how many gangbangers like to go sailing on their boat, singing songs and drinking Duff beer while they throw their enemies to the sharks?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Is it that hard to make a series about a guy who wears a skull on his shirt and kills criminals?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I can't find it in English, but it sounds just like the old series "Dark Justice"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVBg2otAp6M

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

IUG posted:

So what's this Untold Tales of the Punisher MAX that's coming out today? I'm likely going to ignore it since it's not the same writer, and I suspect it's being pushed out by Marvel while the Punisher Max name is still hot (or lukewarm maybe).

I want the untold tales of Barracuda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Interesting. I'm wa watching the Dolph Lundgren opus Men-of-war and I believe that Garth Ennis got his portrayal of Barracuda from tiny lister's performance as an m60 wielding mercenary. I mean there is even a scene where he is burning down Hut's and threatening to massacre little children.

• Locked thread