Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Vashro posted:

Anyone else get painless knee popping? This happens to me a worrying amount. Never hurts, feels like a knuckle crack, but it's so loud. Scares my partners who don't know it happens yet. Doing some pummels and trying to force some out while warming up can help but it doesn't go away. Figure one day they will just quit on me ? ( I'm 32m)

my partner had that. turned out her knee was 'J tracking' and wearing down the cartilage on one side of her knee. needed surgery to remedy.

not saying this is what you've got, just an anecdote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think it's kinda funny and incredibly petty that most of the content that Atos puts out on youtube for free is techniques to beat Keenan's game.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

I think it's kinda funny and incredibly petty that most of the content that Atos puts out on youtube for free is techniques to beat Keenan's game.

my main drilling partner in the gi has chosen to focus exclusively on lapel poo poo and to Atos' strat I say, good, that stuff is horse poo poo and mainly i just sprawl fatly thru it or worse, outgrab my own lapel like some hosed up game of tug of war that's so separated from actual scrapping i dont even have fun any more

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Wangsbig posted:

my main drilling partner in the gi has chosen to focus exclusively on lapel poo poo and to Atos' strat I say, good, that stuff is horse poo poo and mainly i just sprawl fatly thru it or worse, outgrab my own lapel like some hosed up game of tug of war that's so separated from actual scrapping i dont even have fun any more

this should be the first testimonial on keenan's site

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

In your honor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOsz79Ev5Gg

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Jizz Fighter is back. He is also giving advice.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I'm excited.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ohhh yeeeeeah. Make him tap to a pepper grinder

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I am all in for this

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I've rolled with dozens (maybe hundreds?) of people by now, and I can count on one hand the number of them that I actively disliked as people and felt zero guilt about giving the business to.

What I'm saying is that this is a rare opportunity, and you should have fun with it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My bet is he doesn't turn up and either has an excuse or there is no mention.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

CommonShore posted:

Ohhh yeeeeeah. Make him tap to a pepper grinder

The first Google Search entry was not helpful. It'll definitely spice a salad, no doubt.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Nestharken posted:

I've rolled with dozens (maybe hundreds?) of people by now, and I can count on one hand the number of them that I actively disliked as people and felt zero guilt about giving the business to.

What I'm saying is that this is a rare opportunity, and you should have fun with it.

Yes it is a rare opportunity but responding to Jizz Fighter on Twitter is just a open invitation for him to talk to me daily and I don't want to talk to him.

I just want to see this from the sidelines and maybe fight him in absolute brackets in the local tournaments but let's be real.

Xguard86 posted:

My bet is he doesn't turn up and either has an excuse or there is no mention.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I still shudder at the thought of him rolling in that dirty jersey.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cyber Sandwich posted:

The first Google Search entry was not helpful. It'll definitely spice a salad, no doubt.

Side control. Reach under the far armpit and then bring your head back so you're reaching under their head to trap their far arm across their bodyin front of their face. Smash that until it's really tight and nasty, twisting their upper body towards you, and then flatten their knees on the far side so their hips are being twisted in the opposite direction. Top goes one way; bottom goes the other way. Pepper grinder. It's near the top of my list of moves are funny, and my list of moves that are cruel.

Joe choke is still #1, but that's so cruel that I really need to save it for people who I really hate or people who I really like

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Cyber Sandwich posted:

From late September ish:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So we were playing around with a funky sub in class tonight, basically when someone turns toward you to defend the reverse arm triangle, you keep your shoulder pressure (so like, a reverse shoulder of justice) and then scoop their near leg and navy ride and move towards S-gripping your hands like a cradle. It's basically a really hosed up spinal lock (essentially the same action as a twister, except you're also folding them in half and putting pressure on their shoulder) and I dubbed it "the pepper mill" because it's spicy and you're twisting their upper and lower body in opposite directions.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Here everyone enjoy the incredibly stupid move I was talking about the other day

https://www.facebook.com/NYCombatSambo/videos/849285968806772/

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Awesome. Thanks to the three of you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And thanks to mechafunkzilla for giving me a move that I can yell the name of when putting someone into it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for posting this. The lapel game is all the rage in my gym

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I keep hoping someone will find a clever trick to completely neutralize the lapel game and it will die a fad's death and I won't have to learn any of it. Judo has already put restrictions on how the lapel can be used. If it becomes too completely dominant I wonder if the IBJJF would try something in a similar vein.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CommonShore posted:

And thanks to mechafunkzilla for giving me a move that I can yell the name of when putting someone into it.

It warms my heart to know that I am inspiring others to introduce more pain and discomfort to their training partners.

I've actually been thinking about making a little tutorial video about shinlocks, since it's such a big part of my game (particulary when passing/attacking the guard) and yet seems to have almost zero traction in the wider grappling world. Would there be any interest in that?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It warms my heart to know that I am inspiring others to introduce more pain and discomfort to their training partners.

I've actually been thinking about making a little tutorial video about shinlocks, since it's such a big part of my game (particulary when passing/attacking the guard) and yet seems to have almost zero traction in the wider grappling world. Would there be any interest in that?

Yep. Gimme.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Shin lock as in calf slicer?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vashro posted:

Shin lock as in calf slicer?

No it's its own thing.

I've tried your shinnanigans before without success so yeah I'd watch a vid

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Learned the turtleplata today. Excited to try this bad boy out.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

heeebrew posted:

Learned the turtleplata today. Excited to try this bad boy out.

Is that just a switch?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ihop posted:

I keep hoping someone will find a clever trick to completely neutralize the lapel game and it will die a fad's death and I won't have to learn any of it. Judo has already put restrictions on how the lapel can be used. If it becomes too completely dominant I wonder if the IBJJF would try something in a similar vein.

I don't much care or the lapel game either but regulating it out is a terrible idea. In an effort to maintain purity Judo has instituted a number of byzantine rules over the decades that have only hurt the martial art as a whole. One of the main things that makes BJJ successful as an art is how deep it is. This allows for constant development and evolution. Putting in more rules would restrict further growth that eventually would make the sport more shallow than it is now.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
no gi exists so that's an option. I think if the gi is there, let people do what they want with it. At one point spider guard was a bridge too far.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not very experienced with lapel guard sbut I've started getting training partners to try them on me now and again, and I've been finding that I can survive and escape if I focus on fighting hands while keeping my balance, and then eventually I can take a kani basami backstep out to a leg lock attack and break the grip with a deadlift motion. Mind you this is low level experimental play, but the principles are there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

As someone who struggled with the transition from no-gi to gi, I find it so funny when spider/lasso/sleeve and collar enthusiasts complain about the lapel guards being bullshit

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I wonder what Judo would be like with wrestling rules, ippons and the gi. Would it be single and double leg attempts all day?

It's probably Sambo, but I want more Judo leg shenanigans. :colbert:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cyber Sandwich posted:

I wonder what Judo would be like with wrestling rules, ippons and the gi. Would it be single and double leg attempts all day?

It's probably Sambo, but I want more Judo leg shenanigans. :colbert:

For a while there it was viable to just get up an advantage point and then shoot lovely doubles to run out the clock cause it was technically being offensive, part of the reason they banned leg touching

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My gym shut down due to this Coronavirus concern in Korea. (That super cult that has 300 cases stemming from their church is only an hour drive north of me).

What sort of calisthenics can you guys recommend if I'm basically told I can't go to the gym and stick around at home?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If you have or can get a kettlebell then the simple and sinister routine is pretty good.

Jump rope is also nice if you have the space, mostly a high enough ceiling.

Pure body weight: there are some HIT programs that give a workout of the day. Can also do a 7 minute workout routine and loop through it 2x or 3x.

The 2nd two were what I did when I was traveling 4x a week. Plus weird poo poo like overhead pressing hotel furniture.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xguard86 posted:

If you have or can get a kettlebell then the simple and sinister routine is pretty good.

Jump rope is also nice if you have the space, mostly a high enough ceiling.

Pure body weight: there are some HIT programs that give a workout of the day. Can also do a 7 minute workout routine and loop through it 2x or 3x.

The 2nd two were what I did when I was traveling 4x a week. Plus weird poo poo like overhead pressing hotel furniture.

I can probably go to the store and get a kettlebell tomorrow.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cool. There is a guy named pavel that has a book called enter the kettlebell. It's a good source for learning how to do the exercises, if you've not used a kettlebell before. There are others of course but he's a common rec.

Highly recommend getting some material that teaches how to do the movements. It's sort of like a Martial arts, learning how to practice safely and correctly before going at it.

Even though it's a bigger investment, I think it's a good skill to have. For like 30-50$ you can get a good workout in almost any space with minimal equipment that doesn't have any maintenance or upkeep costs.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Welp - I either sprained or broke my pinky toe. We had a competition class yesterday and while I don’t care about competing, I was happy to be someone’s rag doll. Our instructor told the class to push the competitors but don’t hurt them. Two of the non-competitors, including me, got hurt.

We were doing a variant of king of the hill for takedowns but the competitors had to stay on the hill the whole time. Everyone else rotating in to try and take them down or get taken down.

I braced funny in defending a single leg and rolled over the outside of my foot and heard an audible pop. Not much bruising but it’s a bit swollen. I’ve got it buddy taped and have been icing it.

Gonna go to urgent care today for an X-ray to confirm exactly how careful I should be with it. Hoping I can just take a few days off and then stick to drilling ground work until it’s comfortable enough to put weight on.

Anyone got tips beyond:

- see a doctor
- actually rest or take time off
- buddy tape it
- ice and Advil

I intend to do them all because I don’t want this poo poo to linger. Just curious if others did anything else that helped.

rufius fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 23, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xguard86 posted:

Cool. There is a guy named pavel that has a book called enter the kettlebell. It's a good source for learning how to do the exercises, if you've not used a kettlebell before. There are others of course but he's a common rec.

Highly recommend getting some material that teaches how to do the movements. It's sort of like a Martial arts, learning how to practice safely and correctly before going at it.

Even though it's a bigger investment, I think it's a good skill to have. For like 30-50$ you can get a good workout in almost any space with minimal equipment that doesn't have any maintenance or upkeep costs.

I've done Kettlebell exercises. Just don't have one at home. There's a decent phone app called "Kettlebell" that gives a decent workout with them. I just wanted something else but given I can do Yoga and stuff in my apartment the two in concert should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

I've done Kettlebell exercises. Just don't have one at home. There's a decent phone app called "Kettlebell" that gives a decent workout with them. I just wanted something else but given I can do Yoga and stuff in my apartment the two in concert should be good.

Pushups, sit-ups, burpees, body weight squats, lunges, etc should be plenty to keep you busy