Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wangsbig posted:

I don't doubt it but it's hard to argue for the validity of a system with no unified set of standards. I'm sure you know a lot of folks that have gimme belts just for hanging around the gym long enough and conversely know/know of a lot of lower belt world champs that should have been promoted ages ago

Yeah, of course, and that's fine.

I mean, I could argue that most aspects of life have elements like that. From professions to academia to government to military, there's many people who are qualified on paper but useless in practice, and the opposite of brilliant people with few or no qualifications at all.

For me, its because I'm gunning for my purple. I want it bad. Partly because it represents a skill level (sorta). But also because it represents time put in, dedication, acknowledgement from my peers and all that.

On the other hand I'm better in no-gi, and there belts don't matter one whiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Count Roland posted:

Yeah, of course, and that's fine.

I mean, I could argue that most aspects of life have elements like that. From professions to academia to government to military, there's many people who are qualified on paper but useless in practice, and the opposite of brilliant people with few or no qualifications at all.

For me, its because I'm gunning for my purple. I want it bad. Partly because it represents a skill level (sorta). But also because it represents time put in, dedication, acknowledgement from my peers and all that.

On the other hand I'm better in no-gi, and there belts don't matter one whiff.

Being a ratty blue tapping out purples is a better skill representation than being a purple, what're you planning on wearing it into the office or something? They had to ambush me in no-gi to give me my purple because I ignored gi for so long.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Being a ratty blue tapping out purples is a better skill representation than being a purple, what're you planning on wearing it into the office or something? They had to ambush me in no-gi to give me my purple because I ignored gi for so long.

greetings kindred spirit

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I would really like to have the skill level that I see as purple belt. And when I have that skill level, I'd like to have that recognized by receiving a purple belt. The absolute last thing I'd like is to get the belt before I have the skill/ability to back it up. There's still a pretty big gap there although I was finally starting to improve when Covid got going.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Imagine doing a martial art without belt ranks, lmao

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

The absolute last thing I'd like is to get the belt before I have the skill/ability to back it up.

Same. If this means waiting a long time, then so be it.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Nogi belts matter!!!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The belt I wear means something to me, it might mean a lot to other people. The belt other people wear doesn't mean anything to me except as a quick way to judge what to expect a roll with that person might be like, or what kind of answer I might get from them if I had a technical question.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I mostly just don't want to wear a white belt anymore. Anything beyond that is gravy.

And what a brown belt means to me is that this guy is about to do the meanest poo poo I've ever seen to me for a couple minutes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Imagine doing a martial art without belt ranks, lmao

what kind of crazy commie would do that?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I dreamed I did judo with my friends last night. Also that I grabbed a heel hook and everyone found it funny.

:smith:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Getting really annoyed at 10p insta accounts posting videos rolling and promoting. What happened to their lockdown

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Getting really annoyed at 10p insta accounts posting videos rolling and promoting. What happened to their lockdown

I think you'll find they're practicing the lockdown buddy :smug:

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

There are gyms around here already having public open mats. Any precautions my own gym takes won't really work for me if everyone just goes off to random open mats around town.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FreakyMetalKid posted:

There are gyms around here already having public open mats. Any precautions my own gym takes won't really work for me if everyone just goes off to random open mats around town.

Are you in the US?

also what is the caseload like in your region?

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 26, 2020

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My gym just restarted all classes yesterday but they’re still letting people freeze their memberships so I’m gonna wait for a while

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

my gym's starting up on the 1st apparently. I sent them an email telling them to keep my membership frozen indefinitely. sucks

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
One of our coaches who opened up a school literally right when SIP happened has been holding classes basically openly. Lots of people training and no blow back on social media or anything. This is in CA too. I want to train badly but I work with older/at risk people and can't in good conscious take on any risk.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

One of our coaches who opened up a school literally right when SIP happened has been holding classes basically openly. Lots of people training and no blow back on social media or anything. This is in CA too. I want to train badly but I work with older/at risk people and can't in good conscious take on any risk.

Where in CA? In San Diego I think its a bit ridiculous that the gyms are still being shutdown given the low numbers throughout SoCal.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I want to do a triangle to somebody :(

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Where in CA? In San Diego I think its a bit ridiculous that the gyms are still being shutdown given the low numbers throughout SoCal.

Sacramento area. The numbers here are very low as well, so the risk is low, but there is still some risk.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nevada is allowing gyms to reopen but they must adhere strictly to social distancing, which I guess makes grappling impossible.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

My Judo Club is tied to space at the local university so mine won't be open for a while.

My girlfriend's gym is caught in a battle between the affiliate not wanting to allow membership freezes and her instructor doing it anyways which resulted in the gym closing down. The gym had a fire sale of all the gear they had so we got some good deals on tatami and fuji stuff. Still a shame that Covid-19 stupidity closed the gym down. Now the other gyms are doing BJJ Fitness classes because the government will only allow low impact sports. It just makes weightlifting full time more and more appealing until a vaccine comes out.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 27, 2020

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My Judo Club is tied to space at the local university so mine won't be open for a while.

My girlfriend's gym is caught in a battle between the affiliate not wanting to allow membership freezes and her instructor doing it anyways which resulted in the gym closing down. The gym had a fire sale of all the gear they had so we got some good deals on tatami and fuji stuff. Still a shame that Covid-19 stupidity closed the gym down. Now the other gyms are doing BJJ Fitness classes because the government will only allow low impact sports. It just makes going to the gym full time more and more appealing until a vaccine comes out.

Covid is killing gyms more than its killing any of the students :(

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

We're back in BJJ classes now.

Classes are small (you have to actually sign up to limited spots), everyone signs a new waiver, and the instructors re-iterate that if you're sick (or around someone who's been sick) don't come to class.

It's not much, but at least my kid's and I can train 2 times a week vs 0 times.

Also, the cases of COVID are very low in my town. If it starts going up I will probably stop going for a while again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My BJJ group is currently discussing whether we could get legal rolls in by randomly attacking each other and calling it self defense

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

My BJJ group is currently discussing whether we could get legal rolls in by randomly attacking each other and calling it self defense

the mutual combat law supersedes social distancing orders imo

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Covid is killing gyms more than its killing any of the students :(

But on the upside, we never have to talk to Jizz fighter ever again.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who knew Jizz Fighter would be missed.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think my favourite reddit thread that I’ve ever seen is this one where a world-renowned ethics professor explains to r/bjj why it’s unethical to train during a pandemic in the simplest possible terms and then a bunch of little ben shapiros accuse him of not understanding ethics and being biased and using a strawman and stuff like that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/commen...utm_name=iossmf

I’m starting to wonder if training BJJ actually makes you more stupid over time

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Pfft 'ethics philosopher'? What real world application does an extremely nuanced understanding of what course of action could be considered ethical have? Especially in a pandemic? Glad I entered the stem fields and never miss a Joe Rogan 'cast.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
That was actually a really succinct and accessible article even for a layperson. Recommended reading if you have 5 minutes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's also encouraging that the top comments trend towards "this is a good read don't be idiots."

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Are you in the US?

also what is the caseload like in your region?

I'm in the Phoenix area. The recorded infections aren't that high (outside of reservations and retirement homes) and our hospitals have capacity so far, but Arizona is also regularly dead last in the US for testing rate and the case count is still on the way up. While it hasn't been bad here, there's little indication that we've seen the worst of it. Lockdown fatigue set in and our state just said "gently caress it, let's go back to normal."

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I'm in the Phoenix area. The recorded infections aren't that high (outside of reservations and retirement homes) and our hospitals have capacity so far, but Arizona is also regularly dead last in the US for testing rate and the case count is still on the way up. While it hasn't been bad here, there's little indication that we've seen the worst of it. Lockdown fatigue set in and our state just said "gently caress it, let's go back to normal."

I mean this with the best possible intent: I'm kinda glad there's places that are opening up early. Maybe it will end up being fine, but it isn't an experiment I'd want carried out where I live. The data, for good or for ill, will hopefully help inform everyone.

I just want to choke people again before I forget how :(

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think my favourite reddit thread that I’ve ever seen is this one where a world-renowned ethics professor explains to r/bjj why it’s unethical to train during a pandemic in the simplest possible terms and then a bunch of little ben shapiros accuse him of not understanding ethics and being biased and using a strawman and stuff like that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/commen...utm_name=iossmf

I’m starting to wonder if training BJJ actually makes you more stupid over time

Yeah I saw this and the responses just reinforced how goddamn stupid a lot of the people are in this hobby.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Count Roland posted:

Hunting for arteries is like riding a bike, I think. I miss that bike.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

My gym is opening June 1 now and I'm very torn because I miss kimura-ing people so much.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's hosed to me how much the US is opening up. My region has had under 300 cases and under 10 deaths, with like 2 new cases in the last week, and we're still like "hmm this sucks but it's not time yet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I mean this with the best possible intent: I'm kinda glad there's places that are opening up early. Maybe it will end up being fine, but it isn't an experiment I'd want carried out where I live. The data, for good or for ill, will hopefully help inform everyone.

Yeah, I hear ya. Sorry the data won't be better on account of the sparse testing.

I think this pairing of articles on the front page of our local news (azcentral.com) sums it up. New high for hospitalizations? Let's open some more stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!