Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

High mount is your friend, friends.

Low mount I like to drive my hips and my chest into my opponent and crossface whenever possible. Another thing I've found helpful is hooking my feet inside my opponents hips rather than having them on the ground.

As terminology goes, as far as I know a sweep is anything that takes you from the bottom to the top position.

All of this and don't forget you can use your head to post on, too.

If someone is really keen on bumping you to the left, post with your forearm/elbow on their face so they're looking to the right. Squeeze your knees. Get your feet on their hips. Put their spine out of alignment. Make it so uncomfortable that it's hard for them to think. Know how to transition to their back. Mount control takes time and a lot of being able to feel out what's going on below you while still progressing in position; as with all things, the more you practice being there, the better you'll get at it.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

butros posted:

Am I alone in preferring being mounted vs. being bottom side?

My mount defense is pretty good and against guys at or slightly above my level, and I'm pretty decent at fighting off submissions and eventually working my way to a reguard or sweep reversal.

On the other hand if my opponent is good with pressure and intent on keeping me in bottom side I have a much harder time escaping or reguarding until they start to transition on to a different position.

Against a less skilled opponent, I feel like I have a lot more options out of mount in terms of sweeps and leg attacks, and that it's harder for them to keep their balance and pressure up. But against high level dudes mount can feel like the Death Zone and it's easier to create breathing space in side control. The absolute worst is when you go against someone with a really good scarf, though.

With the jacket on I don't think I prefer mount no matter my opponent's skill level, just because of all the choke options.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 18, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Against a less skilled opponent, I feel like I have a lot more options out of mount in terms of sweeps and leg attacks, and that it's harder for them to keep their balance and pressure up. But against high level dudes mount can feel like the Death Zone and it's easier to create breathing space in side control. The absolute worst is when you go against someone with a really good scarf, though.

With the jacket on I don't think I prefer mount no matter my opponent's skill level, just because of all the choke options.

Came here to post this exactly. The only thing worse is when you have a really high level dude who decides that he wants to gently caress with you using knee on belly.

I've been practicing mount control and mount attacks as best I can. Once you get a feel for how to control someone's hips with the mount and where the "actual" fights are going on, mount gets way better than side imo.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

CommonShore posted:

I don't even need to see it to say that's the ringworm. Start putting lamasil or clotrimazole on it immediately.

Doc confirmed it's ringworm, got some clotrimazole. I've had the worst luck in the past 30 days, injury then flu, come back and train for 4 days and now I have ringworm. Bad luck

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerome Louis posted:

Doc confirmed it's ringworm, got some clotrimazole. I've had the worst luck in the past 30 days, injury then flu, come back and train for 4 days and now I have ringworm. Bad luck

The face is the worst because you can't really tape it over. In 3-4 days of daily treatment it will fade a bit and you should be able to go back to training. It's not contagious once proper treatment has begun. Avoid shaving if you can.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I'm competing tomorrow :shepface:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Looking forward to seeing the highlights

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

butros posted:

Am I alone in preferring being mounted vs. being bottom side?

My mount defense is pretty good and against guys at or slightly above my level, and I'm pretty decent at fighting off submissions and eventually working my way to a reguard or sweep reversal.

On the other hand if my opponent is good with pressure and intent on keeping me in bottom side I have a much harder time escaping or reguarding until they start to transition on to a different position.

I feel the same. I will only halfheartedly pretend to block the transition from side to mount because I actually want them to go for it. It's partly about feeling less helpless while mounted and also people get lazy and I can trap a leg back in half guard.

Me in bottom side:

"C'mon... go to mount. You know you want to. It's right there! Just take it! No, not a kimura grip! OH NO! OH NO!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Reap knees for satan

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Reap knees for satan

Hail Satan. Was teaching some basics of heel hooking to a blue belt today. Felt good.

Hail Satan.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Take em down.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I feel the same. I will only halfheartedly pretend to block the transition from side to mount because I actually want them to go for it. It's partly about feeling less helpless while mounted and also people get lazy and I can trap a leg back in half guard.

Me in bottom side:

"C'mon... go to mount. You know you want to. It's right there! Just take it! No, not a kimura grip! OH NO! OH NO!"

My 'go to' move on the bottom as a fat, lovely white belt (now a fat, lovely blue belt) was to engineer a position where my opponent could pass my half guard into mount. I would sell out on holding the leg, really clamp down on that sucker, but give them enough wiggle room so that mount was tantilisingly close. Then, as soon as they freed the leg and took mount, I would blast them over with the biggest bridge-and-roll I could muster. Then people got better at passing my half guard and taking mount, so this stategy got me choked a lot, a proud tradition I continue to this day.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I like bottom side control because a ton of people don't know what to do when you turn your back on them, turtle and stand up.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Hail Satan. Was teaching some basics of heel hooking to a blue belt today. Felt good.

Hail Satan.

As one of my favorite country artists said before a show: "Drink Whiskey, Eat Pussy, Hail Satan"

I think we should modify that to "Reap Knees, Hook Heels, Hail Satan"

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I like bottom side control because a ton of people don't know what to do when you turn your back on them, turtle and stand up.

My man.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Grappling Industries trip report: won my first match, then won my second match and got a gold medal :unsmith:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Grappling Industries trip report: won my first match, then won my second match and got a gold medal :unsmith:

Well done!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Congrats man!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

congrats

I want to make a custom ezekiel gi that is tight but has giant wizard sleeves

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In Las Vegas?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

In Las Vegas?

NYC

Mel Mudkiper posted:

congrats

I want to make a custom ezekiel gi that is tight but has giant wizard sleeves

butros posted:

Congrats man!

willie_dee posted:

Well done!

Thanks everyone! I have video, I'll post it soon with some thoughts.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
so one of the blue belts is apparently a huge patriots homer and heard me making fun of tom brady after class today so folks its been fun, in lieu of flowers please donate money to whoever beats the pats

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sweet! Gonna post an AAR breakdown? How did the matches go?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
God having too many kids sucks. The only BJJ club with hours that could work with my schedule only does unlimited membership so the price makes no sense if you’re only going once a week. Guess I’ll go back to judo but bleeeehhhhhhhhhhh wish bjj was an Olympic sport so they could be less business focussed cause they receive gov grants

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Congrats Mechafunk! I was there supporting a friend. Her last match went forty freakin minutes. Pretty good pace too. Looks like a fun format and I'll definitely try and compete next time it comes around.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

1st match, a fairly quick and exciting one against a quick, athletic wrestle-y guy. He got frustrated in the stand-up and gave up too early, I think. This guy seemed to be familiar with the leglock game, as is en vogue in BJJ right now, but kneebars were a different story. I really like the finish here, felt great to hit that stepover kneebar in competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzjtJIjZbiw
0:12 His low stance was interesting, I kind of want my opponents to shoot on me because I'm confident in my sprawl and front headlock game so I didn't mind conceding a lower level -- but I also didn't want to be so upright he could shoot successfully. I think he got discouraged early because I was keeping my hands low and kind of gave up on that.
1:40 I'm always happy when someone pulls guard on me. It's a moral victory.
2:03 I'm using the hip attack to get past the knee shield, hoping to pin the other leg when he goes to his back and baseball slide.
2:58 He did a good job of recognizing the ankle lock setup and defends it well.
3:55 gently caress you coach! Was trying to follow instructions with the low pass but did a poor job of pinning the knee, which my opponent recognized right away to set up the triangle.
4:13 :hellyeah:
4:20 :ssj:

The 2nd (gold medal) match -- this was a grind, 24 minutes long. I didn't have much of a rest after the first one and started out of breath and with no grip strength. But, I could feel in the first minute that my opponent wasn't as comfortable wrestling as I was, so I stayed cautious and let him burn energy to even things out. I could also see in his body language that he was getting discouraged, so that told me it was working and that I could continue to take my time. Once we settled on the ground he wouldn't open his guard up, but I didn't feel he was really threatening anything and hey, it's the gold medal match of a sub-only competition, so whatever. I could feel from him having to recross his guard more frequently that he wouldn't be able to keep it up forever, and after passing I just kept pressure up until he opened himself up for the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyaihxv3JXE
The first few minutes is pretty much me realizing that this guy is probably more of a gi player and that when I don't give him wrist control he gets frustrated. Once I saw that he didn't like the whole handfighting game I was like "cool, let's do that forever then."
2:38 I was very wary of my opponent's length and did want to give him any kind of chance at getting a leg, so I probably bail on this unnecessarily.
2:50 Well-defended here. Seatbelt/taking the back isn't really my forte and I wasn't going to go for the forward roll with my arms totally out of strength.
4:25 He's scared after almost getting caught and isn't engaging like he was at the beginning of the match. Encouraging!
5:53 That's a "gently caress YOU COACH I'M TIRED" laugh
6:11 That's a sub if he wasn't 3-4 inches taller than me.
7:30 Yeah that outside trip ain't happenin' buddy
8:35 Starting to feel like I'm getting some energy back and getting more confident, can remember thinking "lol" at the sweep combo attempt
9:03-9:08 "get that poo poo outta here"
10:35 Nice takedown :toot:
11:28 I was kind of disoriented after the foot slipped through, probably could have continued to successfully attack the legs but took the chance to get back to a top position when the opportunity presented itself. I really didn't want to be on the bottom when I was that tired.
11:58 Shinlock alert! He didn't want any part of that.
12:04 A nice Kimbo Slice/Houston Alexander moment.
14:12 That's just some slop, getting careless with my base and pressure because I was tired. Hooking my head was a mistake and he can't post to stop the sweep.
14:30-22:30 Literally Nothing Happens
23:25 He flattens out because he felt me going for a cradle earlier, which was a big mistake and the beginning of the end.
23:38 He fucks up real bad reaching down to try and untangle the bodylock, I switch arms and with a few adjustments that's the finish.

Hope you guys find the matches somewhat enjoyable (despite the long stretches of inactivity in the final). If anyone has any thoughts or advice I'd be glad to hear it!

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 20, 2019

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

First match I love how the ref is basically not paying attention at all and just grabbing his junk. Nice work with the kneebar. Seems like he really wasn't much of a half guard player even though he went there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Very nice! I skipped through most of the second one, but do you mind if I share the first with a buddy of mine? We were just discussing kneebars the other day.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Very nice! I skipped through most of the second one, but do you mind if I share the first with a buddy of mine? We were just discussing kneebars the other day.

Go for it. It's unfortunate that the camera's on the wrong side so you can't really see my hand position or the adjustments I make to finish.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I crush people with that same kneebar, my good friend used to hit that on me all the time, now I can basically catch people in transition with a back take or I just defend and roll through.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Go for it. It's unfortunate that the camera's on the wrong side so you can't really see my hand position or the adjustments I make to finish.

Thanks! It's interesting to me because I've been sharpening my leg game lately, but my kneebars succckkkk. The last two times I ended up in reverse ashi I hit a toe hold on the secondary leg instead of the kneebar.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Love that kneebar - that's the one that Steve showed at the seminar yeah? Would have loved to seen the adjustments you made to finish if the camera angles had allowed.

Thanks for sharing man and again congrats!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

butros posted:

Love that kneebar - that's the one that Steve showed at the seminar yeah? Would have loved to seen the adjustments you made to finish if the camera angles had allowed.

Thanks for sharing man and again congrats!

The very same! I don't actually sit on his stomach/hips the way you're supposed to because he drives his free leg in between -- but that also makes it harder for him to defend, since he does that instead of either sitting up or triangling.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Good job on winning gold. You're a beast.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Congrats dude, 2nd match looked exhausting. Also congrats to the Red Ranger on winning his match

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How do you keep control of his leg when there's so much distance between your hips and his? (kneebar in first match)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How do you keep control of his leg when there's so much distance between your hips and his? (kneebar in first match)

Good fundamental technique, basically. The leg is sucked in to my chest, I have heel control and am steering the foot/toes with my head (or chest, since I was kinda low on his leg), not just hyperextending and twisting but also pulling the lower leg away from the upper to separate everything. Watch where my right hand goes right at 4:16. If I was using bad technique like trying to "slot machine" his calf it would be a lot harder to maintain control. I also had a good squeeze with my knees, which a lot of people get real sloppy with on kneebars and other leglocks, but it's important for control and for the twist and pull parts of the kneebar.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 20, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dave Grool posted:

Congrats dude, 2nd match looked exhausting. Also congrats to the Red Ranger on winning his match

For real. That's a good bit of leg locking.

Also congrats to MFZ, that's some awesome work over a long time. Lord knows I would have just died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drewjitsu posted:

Hail Satan.

We just started ankle locks and the like this past week. I showed my head coach this video Danaher did and he wants to try it out more but apparently tore both ligaments in his knee and is on the shelf for the next few months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kas2W3GmyE