Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Seltzer posted:

I'm looking for some simple takedowns while rolling, I've heard ankle picks are good if you have a height advantage. Is that true/anyone have any good videos?

Single Leg and Double Leg are the two simplest and most utilitarian take downs ever, and everyone should know how to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Good job on going out and competing. I always imagined you as your avatar, so imagine my surprise.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

Do you have to suffer any weed/tower 7/vaccine evangelism or even worse Eddies music to get the content?

As someone who subscribed to the website at one point. There are interviews and music segways, but you can easily skip through the videos, and the sections are time stamped on the side so you can skip directly to what you want.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Slight rant but I swear I think I'm one of two whitebelts with no previous grappling experience at my gym. Seems like everyone has wrestling/judo experience. It makes attempting any takedowns while rolling a pain in the rear end and is honestly a little discouraging, One of the newer whitebelts who I just met did like six years of sambo. On the one hand they're giving me good tips on the other hand if I try anything I'm basically getting dumped or tossed.

This is a good thing, if for any other reason then it means you shouldn't have any spazzy white belts to injure you/be injured by you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Decades posted:

Am I the only one who finds it crazy that there are still sub only events without tiebreakers? I enjoyed most of Polaris, but all 8 main card matches would've been way more interesting with the knowledge that there were overtime rounds at the end of them. Not saying they need to replicate EBI's rules exactly (they probably should), but gently caress, try something.

In the event of a tie, both participants will be reset to standing. First one to touch the ground with anything but their palms or feet shall be declared a loser. 3 minute time limit.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fatherdog posted:

In the event of a tie the winner will be determined by who can eat the most acai in sixty seconds.

I like this idea better than mine.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Welp tonight I accidentally went night-night for the first time after trying to do a back door escape vs a baseball bat choke grip and ended up on top of the guys back which made the choke go in really really tight, rather than forcing him to let go of it. I woke up seconds later oddly refreshed with the sounds of the ocean in my ear. So a valuable lesson was learned.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

After 4 months of training....[I] was just surviving by my general athletcism and strength.

You and every other person just starting.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ch3cooh posted:

Carlson Gracie is going to rise from his grave and kill all of you you no good creontes!

Gettin this patch.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

He made you do it, you gave him every opportunity

Seriously, you where way kinder than certain dudes I've seen at tournaments who, when they catch something, will instantly crank it to 100% and gently caress your poo poo up on purpose. Personally I believe these guys need to be takin out back and shot in the knee for being humongous tools.

You on the other hand sunk a submission and you started cranking it harder when he wouldn't tap, that's pretty reasonable. If the guys gonna be dumb, he's gotta be tough.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

origami posted:

It's a combat sport; you need to apply the submission with force.

I guess I'm just too much of a pussy for competition then :shobon:?

There's a difference between say, catching a Kimura from north south bringing the arm up and twisting in a forceful controlled manner till he taps, and catching a kimura from north south, bringing the arm up, and twisting your body like you're starting a lawn mower and blowing out the dudes shoulder before he has a chance to tap. You don't have to be nice to your opponent, but you don't have to put him through a potential surgery if you can avoid it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Memento posted:

Yeah it was really good.

Question for the thread: I had a ~240 pound dude pass my guard in training the other day, by riding the inside of my thigh with his shinbone. It hurt like gently caress at the time, and still hurts a bit three days later. What are the chances of having a groin muscle strain or tear just from physical pressure on it? How can I avoid poo poo like that happening in the future? He basically had all his weight on the top of my leg and I was pinned to the ground.

If the answer is "get good", then I'll keep working on that :)

He probably just bruised the crap out of it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Does anyone ever use an arm triangle from the bottom to sweep or should I just always go for an overhook before I think about sweeping.

Can't you finish an arm triangle from bottom?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

origami posted:

if you're brand new and just starting out I don't think you're going to get any benefit from visiting other gyms

Some post the creonte patch

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

:911: I cried.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Keg posted:

Rate these terms on a scale of 1 to 5 for how embarassed they make you feel for the person saying them:

1) Oss
2) Jitz
3) Buh-jay-jay

Is three a thing people say?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lemonslol posted:

. Is there a way to learn wrestling? should I approach a high school and ask to wrestle their boys?

Goon walks into highschool wanting to wrestle boys. Dont see a problem here.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kekekela posted:

oh god this pic...but anyway yay, started at 41, would murder the gently caress out of my 25 year old self

Good job!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I had my first roll with a spazzy new white belt recently. I've been doing Bjj constantly for almost two years and this is the first time Ive had anyone try to earnestly hooker choke me from inside of my closed guard I was so shocked it was happening it took me a few seconds to react and used a reverse armbar, and I felt the spirit of jiujitsu flow through me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lemonslol posted:

Does anyone pay for the 10pjj premium thing on the site for the videos? Is it worth it?

I did for awhile, there's an amazing amount of information in there if you're willing to skip past Eddie Bravo music videos. Pretty good bang for the buck honestly.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spandexcajun posted:

, I guess I just wanted to know what other folks think of leglocks in general, at any level (I'm in no hurry to have my knees destroyed, I old and frail).

Leglocks are like any other moves. If you lock it in and your opponent moves the wrong way and you don't let go he gets hurt. Like wise if you get locked in a leg lock and screw up defending, you're gonna get hurt. If you screw up applying a leg lock, your opponent is gonna take advantage and at least end up top half guard if not completely past your guard, and at worst put you in a leg lock. If you apply a leg lock don't be a complete douche to your training partners and crank them to max.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lemonslol posted:

started watching Eddie's MTS to try to pick up some 10p stuff. All I've learned so far is that the U.S government is hiding aliens in the white house and that 9/11 was an inside job. :10bux: well spent

Martial arts in general would be a WAY better place if the worst opinion I've heard from a high level martial arts guy was 9/11 was an inside job and aliens exist.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 25, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Skulls, ninjas, samurai, comic book poo poo, and anime. I get that BJJ has roots in eastern marital arts, but the orientalist themes are way overdone. And the common themes so often ooze of "I'm worried that wearing tights is gay so I want to wear something as tough-looking as possible."

Agreed. My favorite Rashguard has a "Tales from the Crypt" sorta comic on it. I like stuff that is light hearted or comical and will go out of my way to buy gear that has that sorta stuff on it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

You live by the hitchhiker escape, you get your arm broken by the hitchhiker escape. Oss.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

WayneCampbell posted:

Any good resources on DEFENDING leg attacks? I was listening to a Tom DeBlass interview recently where he said he could give 95% of the bjj population an outside heel hook and they wouldn't be able to finish on him, I want to learn that.

Some people have rubber feet that you can contort into pretty sick directions and they won't feel anything and be fine unless you rip the crap out of it. I dunno wether to envy these guys or pity them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think I'd ever attempt to finish a neck crank, jaw lock, toe hold, or leg lock. Would finish chokes and arm attacks if he just wouldn't tap at all after giving him gradual pressure.

My coach says, in competition, worry about protecting yourself, don't try to go out and end the other guys life or try to break him, but don't lose sleep if the dude won't tap if you give him an opportunity and you end up breaking something

Thinking about it I have seen a few times at the blue belt and nogi equivalent where it looked a dude just straight up ripped the dudes arm off. I won't say I didn't hope some karma went back at him if he did it on purpose or couldn't control himself.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 13, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I did a no-gi tournament about five months in and went 0-1 against a guy who looked like Terry Crews.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think they're really only useful for things human partners will not tolerate a ton of reps for. Knee on belly transitions and suplexes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

origami posted:

I'd avoid rolling with scab crotch dudes, thugs, guys that toe hold your toes, dudes with misshapen crotches that can't wear cups and dudes that write passive aggressive notes to me.

I think that covers most bases for this thread.

Why not toe hold the toes? Not me, asking for a friend. :smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Went back to bjj this week after a month off from getting my gallbladder out. I forgot that there's a constant background amount of aches and pains when actively going to classes and working out and stuff :(.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

omoplata question: So I go for an omoplata and immediately grab the belt when I make the turn to prevent my opponent from going over his shoulder. I sit up, and his hand is pretty much right in front of me. For Kicks I decide to instead of grabbing his opposite shoulder and lifting up to finish the arm lock, I decide to finish this via wrist lock, is there a down side or a thing higher level BJJ guys do when they've been omoplota'd that would prevent the Wristlock naturally or is this a legit alternative?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

What I'd like from you guys is any ideas for other "submission if not position" attacks. Because of Judo rules they need to be relatively fast - you'll be stood up before you can get mission control from guard and fanangle into a dead orchard, for example.

If you're allowed to do compression chokes then a fat man choke will work here, since you're in obvious kesa gatame so you won't be stood up right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0VxxSNu-g
Just gotta make sure you're doing the choke and not the neck crank.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I got a rock.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ch3cooh posted:

Let's check in with last night's FTWPro

oh

Can I have some background to why a dude foot jabbed the crap out of a Bjj dude?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So apparently that didn't end the fight in a DQ, jesus.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

find a new gym

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Punching from inside guard from a vertical base. GENIUS!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nierbo posted:

This is the last one, I promise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3rcOjrjqM4

Does this poo poo make anyone else angry?

Out of all of the things you could have posted there is actually not much to be mad about here. The guard opening is pretty good and only suffers because he moves his front leg first instead of his back which leaves him vulnerable to sweeps for a second. The pass is a no resistance version of a knee slide pass. The submission looks like a no resistance version of demonstrating the principles behind a arm bar I do when a white belt gets really over zealous trying to push me off of side control. All and all its poorly executed but the ideas being expressed isn't on the level of a wing chun vs bjj level where the chun dude decides to chain punch his way out of closed guard.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 17, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Miching Mallecho posted:

Fuji is having a blowout sale

http://fujisports.com/fuji-sports-adcc-pro-bjj-gi-blue-8012.html

You can this one for $69 with priority mail shipping. If you're in NJ then you can pick it up in their warehouse in jersey city for free.

That is a pretty fugly looking gi that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a future in learning bottom turtle as an attack position vs learning it as a back to guard position? I've been working on thread the needle/transitions to knees from different positions recently, and it seems to work well. I go to turtle, they try to seat belt me or something and I hit a peek through to take back, or lay back to a sometime butterfly/open/closed guard or sometimes top guy backs off and we get neutral.