Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

This is such a stupid mentality. It's a contact sport, yes, but if you don't train like a spazz and are selective about who your roll with your risk of injury is relatively low.

I think they are just afraid of being sore 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

that gets slightly better after your first 6 months

My arm joints were always sore the first 6 months, now its just my whole body. I train ~ 4 days a week.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Stretch, hydrate, rest, vary training intensity.

Truth.

"vary training intensity." - For me this might be the most important one.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this popped up on my twitter feed and I thought you guys would enjoy, especially since you can see whats coming a mile away

https://twitter.com/McDojoLife/status/1018107668706332672

awesome

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone else watch Quintet 2?

Haisam Rida is a beast

Is this up on Flograppling? There has never been a time where I wanted to get a subscription (because you still gets ads despite paying for a subscription) so bad just to watch it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

UFC Fightpass

Ahh thanks. Whats the better deal in terms of content? Flo grappling or UFC Fight Pass? Flograppling is great but I hate all the page ads despite still paying.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 17, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Can you watch both quintets on it now that they're over? It would totally be worth $11 to watch those.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I signed up for the free preview and watched the first part of Quitent 2 last night and watched Haisam dominate the Tiger MT guys. Lots of good content, def seems like a better deal than Flo.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 18, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Quintet 2 was awesome. Loved seeing 10p go out, have some really tough matches and come out victorious.

Haisam Rida was the standout imo. Thats def a guy to watch going forward.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Rida getting guillotined by Geo though.... that was a holy poo poo moment for sure.

For sure. Beautiful execution.

Looking forward to the next one. I really like the 5 man elimination format they have.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Inverted North South, you get there by sweeping from an arm-in guillotine:

Secures the arm with his top leg:

Now that the arm can't move, he can now safely change grips:

The anaconda finish:

Nah, this isn't true. The belt system didn't exist until judo which is only a hundred years old.

Thanks for this. I just drilled the poo poo out of arm in triangle with a friend over the weekend. Now to try this :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mendes Bros for me. There was a free one down at Atos with Galvao recently but it filled up lightning fast, and Im willing to bet the Atos guys had first call.

TheTofuShop posted:

Jean Jacques

I recently went to a seminar of his. Picked up some really good concepts and little things that help the basics like posture, back attacks and defending the back.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats on the Blue Belt! I have found its the belt of experimentation and starting to define who you are in jiu jitsu :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spandexcajun posted:

As a one year bluebelt I endorse this post. I think you missed a stage were the BJJ'er actively gets worse / goes backward (me IRL right now)!

I think you go through that a few times as a blue belt. Its happening to me again right now too.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

How do you guys decide what to get better at?

What do you suck at? Start there. My NoGi stand up game sucks, so this morning I focused on that with all my training partners, and guess what? They get better too. Everyone concentrating on what they suck at exposes everyone else to it as well. Its built into the fact that everyone is getting better because they are in a group.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Been doing this for a year and feel like I'm getting worse :(

Everyone goes through this. Especially if you are moving on to other techniques that you are working on and you are trying to improve on those.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats butros!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Creonte! No airconditioning make you more better at the jiu jits.

For reals. My instructor bought this big fan (its literally called a big rear end fan) and he never turns it on (which honestly Im cool with). If you have a Brazilian instructor, dont expect them to give in to your complaints of the heat in your gym.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

I have to rep my friend's brand Optimal Human. It's BJJ-specific rashguards without the lurid graphics. Prices are pretty reasonable too for BJJ rashguards - 19.99 to 29.99 for a long sleeve rashguard.

https://optimal-human.com/collections/rashguard-compression-shirts-long-sleeve

Just bought some shorts and a short sleeve rashguard from them (~$70 shipped). Looks good and their prices are reasonable. I would have paid upwards of at least $50 for just a rashguard through Tatami who I usually go through.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Thanks! If you have any recommendations or complaints, I can pass them right to my buddy who founded Optimal Human.

I hope the shorts will fit me ok. I have a fat rear end. :hampants:

omg chael crash posted:

What red belt documentary?

Speaking of documentaries, looks like Robert Drysdale is working on one. Follow it @closedguardthemovie on Instagram. Really looking forward to that one coming out.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 20, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Tap early tap often

This should be rule #1 at most schools for white belts, the most important rule.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Since pretty much everybody at my gym good enough to tap me is a friend, I hover my hand visibly when I am about to tap, sometimes for 5+ seconds. It’s like a display of submission so they know they’re near the sweet spot and they chill out, but I don’t give the actual tap until they’re it’s ‘right’.

Haha I do that same thing when drilling submissions

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Has anyone tried this stuff? With a messed up neck (from rolling on it wrong during sparring), Im wondering how well it works.

https://324brand.com/products/324-roll-on

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

My standup is soooo bad.

I mean I've been doing this for a year and so have improved my BJJ skills but my standup sucks rear end and I know its super important since it dictates everything on the ground (who is on top/bottom)

If your academy offers Judo or NoGi takedowns make that part of your schedule. Since I have I have noticed my standup game has improved.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

What do you guys do when you see someone that has the worm get on the mat and train? Its summer I get these things spread during that time, but come on...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Tell the Coach and not touch that dude.

I didnt know he had it until after the roll and we were changing in the locker room :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

All I know is that I watch most of the kids in the youth class and I swear to god, eliminating submissions (they learn like one, and the coach calls it "the secret move" only to be used in competition), these kids takedowns are like 10 times better than most of the adults.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

In my limited experience older married men have the most aggression in class, maybe it’s the weekend warrior mentality or an unhappy marriage at home

And for everyone of those dudes I can put up a 20 something year old that is up for challenging them, who also has aggression issues of their own. Blame it on the testosterone/ego that gets in the way.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Odddzy posted:

Morning classes are awesome. It's mostly older professionals and chill dudes back at my gym so the vibe is fun.

Morning classes are awesome. I have my MWF 7am class and been doing that for a couple years now and its the best way to wake up and get moving.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

I'm a pure morning class guy and my morning class today consisted of Garry, Craig Jones, Jay Yang, Nicky Ryan, Nick Ronan, Ethan, Matt Tesla, Gordon Ryan, Gregor Gracie, Brandon Bennett and 30+ other killers and assorted regular dudes like me. I don't think we have a problem keeping up with afternoon crew or night crew. We are pretty objectively decent.

Might be a stupid question but do you ever get to roll with those dudes or is there like some division between them training and everyone else?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Sleep is one of the most important things you can do in addition to training. Lack of sleep drives up cortisol, which leads to catabolic states not very conducive to adding new muscle fibers, or even repairing older ones that are intentionally damaged via resistance training.

Sleep: The best PED.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

How do you people find time...

When you have kids it becomes a little more difficult to find time but I manage to squeeze in the following:

MWF (Fri Open Mat) - 7am to 8:30am BJJ - More of an intermediate than a beginner class at this point. 9am to 4pm work 4:45pm My kids BJJ class
Tue - 11am to 1230pm Judo - My coach is a Rokudan and this is the only time during the week to really get a full Judo class
Thurs - 11am to 1230pm BJJ - I get the most rolls out of this class since its the one with the most people that I attend.

Work is pretty flexible and allows for me to go to class in the middle of the day if I like.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Pretty good breakdown about Tyron's d'arce choke of Till

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHJbBvnEJw

That was good. Thanks for sharing :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Like this:

In this picture, that choke is 100% on, while the triangle isn't locked, and the guy taps a second after this screenshot. The left thigh is pulling the shoulder into the neck, and the two shins are parallel.

In this one, the triangle is locked, and the more he rotates his left foot outwards, the more his left thigh is going to force the shoulder into the neck. I find this finish works incredibly well if the arm isn't across the body.

It's from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwbdB_6_ys

I find most of my problems stem from a small gap that forms (if we are using the screencap above as an example) from the right leg. If I really eliminate that gap right from the getgo then my triangles are almost always good.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Rewatching Quintet.2 and I forgot how amazingly cool it was when Geo Martinez faced Haissam Rida. The height and weight difference was huge.

All the matches with Haissam Rida were good. Very entertaining. Boys got talent.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

If you want to know the reason for the split in DDS, read the comments between Jon Calestine, Gordon and Garry in this post. https://www.instagram.com/p/BnrQyp0FiCZ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15qbx71mij6x
I'm pretty bummed out about this because I've known all these guys since they were blue belts and like all of them.

I think I just got a headache reading all that. Kind of glad that type of stuff never happens in our gym. But I get it, these guys are incredibly high level, a lot of competition in the room.

quote:

But it's ok I get it, not everyone is like me... actually, no body is like me, that's why I'm the loving best

UGH.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

drat that's some petty childish drama going on there. Kinda amazing that none of this could be handled or discussed privately. It's terrible optics for Gordon too, he looks like a man child.

I think there was a quote by Dean Lister that said he will not promote someone to Brown Belt if they act like a dickhead. When you look at people like Ryan, AJ and Danis it totally makes sense why. Those attitudes are just horrible for Jiu Jitsu as a whole.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Gordon Ryan is an insane troll

Has anyone been to one of his seminars? Does he give off the same impression that he gives off with that drama on IG? Maybe Yuns can answer this question best. Half the time I wonder if all this poo poo is just an act to garner attention. Same goes with AJ.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Has anyone bought the Danaher Back system DVD? Im almost more interested in that one then the leglocks for what Im working on now. I want to see lots of transitions to getting to the back.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks guys.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Two thirds of the set is about handfighting your way through resistance and finishing. There are some cool entries but not heaps.

This is where I find most of my classes concentrating on too. We work on kimura grips andand hand transitioning from the back to get the choke, but I would love to see some more back entries and how to get to the back especially if they are from Danaher.

Did learn a cool back entry that was from XGuard on Monday, but yeah I want to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's an acai bowl place next door and they make a killing after our classes

10th Planet San Diego has one down the street from them (San Diego Blenders) that made the best bowl I have ever had.