Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Use this thread to talk about gambling on combat sports, whether it's MMA or boxing or K-1 or whatever else.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

attackmole posted:

How do you guys feel about betting on overdogs? I've always figured if they're over -150 or something it's just not worth the risk.

Favorites are usually the best bets on any sporting event because people like to bet on underdogs (and the over on over/unders), essentially for the reason you describe in this post.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

I would like a section devoted to how retarded parlays are.

Feel free to post one!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I Internet-know Performify from him modding another board. He was very good at identifying way off lines in ye olden days when such things existed just by being intelligent, but his actual MMA analysis isn't really all that great. Now that the way off lines don't exist, he's only real good at predicting line movements. And he doesn't even discuss MMA over there anymore, I think he's just out of the game now.

His MMAJunkie/FIGHT Magazine guide was good four years ago, but except for the mechanical stuff is extremely outdated.

FWIW I think Jones as a slight favorite against Shogun is about right and wouldn't touch that line with someone else's money.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

That's also very against the Paypal terms of service, among other issues.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

osama bin diesel posted:

Probably should have a section in the OP about why betting props is as bad as parlays

Props can be good bets if you pick your spots, they're not across the board bad like parlays.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Weidman's exactly the type of guy that's usually a good bet because of dumber people putting money on the not very good name fighter. I don't think a short camp overcomes the "one of the best grappling prospects in MMA against Alessio Sakara" angle.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If you knew nothing about Alessio Sakara, the words "European" and "boxer" are probably a dead giveaway that he might have trouble with a very good wrestler.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I was heading out to go place my bets on shogun today and noticed that Jake Shields is at +375. I immediately put money on Jake Shields.

You'd have probably gotten more fun out of that money by lighting it on fire.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

tesilential posted:

Lil Nog got robbed.

Just because you keep saying this doesn't make it remotely true.

tesilential posted:

Anyways so far Bader's striking is better than Phil's and he still got lit up.

This too.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Except Rogerio only won the standing slightly and he really wasn't controlling the fight. I'm not even sure he wins under Diaz Rules.

If your takeaway from that fight is that Little Nog won't have a problem with a wrestler who is considerably better than Bader after Bader outpointed him with only mildly effective wrestling, you're just seeing what you want to see. And I'm sure you'll complain about this decision too when Davis blankets Nog.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

CVagts posted:

Wait, what? When did this happen?

Couple hours ago. US Attorney for the Southern District filed a bunch of indictments against most major poker sites and their owners, all hell has broken loose.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

should i be worried if i'm using bodog.co.uk ?

Government isn't going after Bodog (again/yet), and the non-American side should be fine regardless except for cash flow issues.

Feel kinda bad for the people who have their livelihoods tied up, a lot of people prepped for a day like this by keeping money spread between the sites and welp that didn't really work.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Chimney Sweeps Week posted:

how predictable

Don't Bet On A Diaz

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

We have our very own Dick Morris in PSP, that's so cool.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

vainman posted:

C'mon Newton!

2/21/13 3:06pm $5.00 to win $43.75 Pending 2/21/13 11:30pm Reduced Fighting 2101 Emanuel Newton +875* vs Muhammed Lawal
2/21/13 5:06am $15.00 to win $116.25 Pending 2/21/13 11:30pm Bellator Fighting 2101 Emanuel Newton +775* vs Muhammed Lawal

You should bet more on MMA.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

jase1 posted:

It's good to be back gentlemen laugh away.

Ticket#:14918142
Jun 15 11:25 PM
INTERNET / -1 Jun 15 11:17 PM
MU
STRAIGHT BET
[24106] R. NELSON -285
(S. MIOCIC vrs R. NELSON)

143 / 50

This is really quite an amazing run here.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

jase1 posted:

But wait there is more!

Ticket#:14918359
Jun 15 11:59 PM
INTERNET / -1 Jun 15 11:55 PM
MU
STRAIGHT BET
[24102] D. HENDERSON +160
(R. EVANS vrs D. HENDERSON)

100 / 160

Noooooo I want Hendo to win poo poo.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Because I love you all so much I added up jase1's claimed MMA bets in this thread

-100 on Sonnen vs. Silva 2
-20 on Buddy Roberts vs. Okami
-20 on Justin Lawrence vs. Max Holloway
-100 on Kaufman vs. Rousey
-100 on Bonnar vs. Silva
-5 on Tom Lawlor vs. Carmont
+11 on Waldburger vs. Catone
-10 on James Head vs. Pyle
-10 on Brookins vs. Poirier
+24 on Barry vs. del Rosario
-14 on Mitrione vs. Nelson
-5 on Thiago Tavares vs. Khabib
-5 on Rothwell vs. Gonzaga
+20 on Belfort vs. Bisping
+160 on Hunt vs. Struve
-100 on Gomi vs. Diego
+175 on Okami vs. Lombard
-300 on Diaz vs. GSP
-100 on Condit vs. Hendricks
+100 on Camozzi vs. Ring
-10 on Smith vs. McDaniel
-10 on Gonzaga vs. Browne
-20 on Tate vs. Zingano
-25 on Magelhaes vs. Phil Davis
+25 on Nelson vs. Kongo
-25 on Belcher vs. Bisping
-50 on Sonnen vs. Jones
-143 on Nelson vs. Miocic
-100 on Hendo vs. Rashad

Total loss is $727, 7 winning bets out of 29 placed (though to be fair jase does bet on a lot more big underdogs than big favorites).

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

jase1 has outlasted Anderson Silva, everyone.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Loki2099 posted:

http://deadspin.com/a-redditor-has-been-leaking-wwe-outcomes-update-wwe-r-787445495 I imagine the betting lines reflect this guy, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is in with the books.

It's almost certainly the other way around, the lines have been moving way ahead of the random Redditor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MMA is heavily bet on enough now that if there's a profitable overall angle like "bet on underdogs" (and there isn't anyways), a syndicate would have already figured it out and bet enough to make it unprofitable for the rest of the world. This isn't the good old days where a little public money in Vegas would create goofy lines.