Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Tom from roc-noc is a swell guy :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Finally got around to plugging my R751G-2HnD. Is 47 out of 60 MiB normal memory usage when only one computer is running a few torrents?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
How well does the wireless work after its been shoved into a rack full of metal stuff?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Tried it in firefox and it just spins.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I leave it on at work and home.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Obviously your high usage requires you to be an early adopter of the CCR.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why not add some speed holes and/or a fan if overheating is the only problem? AFAIK 5ghz is going to have problems with range as soon as you go through solid objects, it may not be an improvement depending on your building. And you are going to have devices that simply do not have a 5ghz radio as an option so you'll still need a 2.4 ghz ap sitting around.

You could get something like this with whatever combination of three radio cards and antennas that you want but it's pricey.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The RB1100AHx2 supposedly has IPSEC acceleration but I haven't seen IPSEC benchmarks or documentation beyond one line on the brochure so who knows how much it does. Also everything CuddleChunks said.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
CuddleChunks, does your company use any SXTs?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Wireless link between two houses 500 ft apart. I want to share a dsl connection and maybe a slingbox or something similar.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

CuddleChunks posted:

I'll ask on Monday but I think the answer is yes. We don't deploy too many of those because we're mostly doing point-to-multipoint but I think we have a few out in the field.

Ubiquiti is our go-to now for point-to-point stuff because the 5GHz spectrum is so flooded and they are generally cheap as dirt to deploy.

I don't know that I have a choice other than 5ghz so that doesn't matter to me. This won't turn into anything until spring anyway so I have time to plan it all out.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Project will already be too expensive, airfiber is out :(

I've only eyeballed the heights so far, but I'm pretty sure getting over the tree tops is going to be a greater distance than I want to run a pole off a chimney. Is there a brand/supplier of tower that everyone uses or is this the sort of thing where you just call local places until you get a sane price?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Don't use .local or you'll confuse devices running mDNS/bonjour/zeroconf/avahi when they talk to something that doesn't.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67195

Normis says the CCR is done, so I guess this also means RouterOS 6 will be available "soon."

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Only five of the ports are gigabit. I don't know if it has holes for wall mounting, they sell a bracket for another :10bux: . Port forwarding is easy, check the wiki to make sure the pptp tunneling works the way you need it to or find something else if it doesn't.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Verify that the wall wart is providing power.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
r0c-n0c has RB951G-2hnd in stock and bumped the price down on the RB751G

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

CuddleChunks posted:

A quick trip report - we couldn't get stocks of the RB751 wireless routers in at work in the quantities we needed. They had them backordered to hell and back so we ended up switching to the RB951 series.

It's half the output power, half the processor and almost half the size of the RB751. It has no external antenna and no indicator light for the wifi card.

Despite that, it's a cute little trooper of a wireless router and you get all the power of the Mikrotik OS behind it. We haven't had any complaints about it out in the field so far and it's pretty dang cheap to order for your own use. All in all, I'd say it's a fully capable home router that's a serious contender for filling in the gaps between Apple and Asus's products and other cheap-as-dirt wifi routers.

I bought one of these to put in the middle of the office so we can get our phones on the internet without using up our data plans. If it sucks I'm blaming you :mad:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

theperminator posted:

I've set up an RB2011UAS-2HnD in our office, and have configured wireless
However we're getting random dropouts on the wireless, with this sort of thing in the mikrotiks logs
data from unknown device: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX sending deauth

But the mac address listed will be a machine that is already authed and working just fine, there are reports of this issue on the mikrotik forums but nobody seems to have a solution.

My one at home doesn't seem to have any problems, maybe it doesn't like handling 40 wireless clients?

You could always try your home router at work for a day or two to rule out hardware. Its easy enough to save an entire configuration and replace it.

RB951 is tiny. I put it by the front door, wandered around with my phone, and only one corner of the office is bad. Once I get it up high above metal file cabinets and in the middle of the room this should be great.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
They don't even have a 5ghz preassembled indoor model. Plenty of stuff with SFP cages which I assume must be needed in Europe.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I bought an RB951 to provide wireless in the office. I gave it its own nic on our pfsense box and set up ospf. Routing table on the routerboard looks like this:

code:
[admin@MikroTik] /ip route> print
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic,
C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme,
B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY            DISTANCE
 0 ADo  0.0.0.0/0                          192.168.20.1            110
 1 ADo  192.168.0.0/24                     192.168.20.1            110
 2 ADC  192.168.20.0/30    192.168.20.2    ether1                    0
 3 ADC  192.168.20.128/26  192.168.20.129  wlan1                     0
 4 ADC  192.168.20.192/26  192.168.20.193  companyname               0
Companyname is a virtual ap. I can connect to it or wlan1 with my phone and access everything on 192.168.0.0. I can't get any traffic to the internet. Using ping and traceroute from winbox to a few ips on the internet works fine. There are no firewall rules on the routerboard and pfsense has a pass everything rule.

Any ideas on where to start?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
It was already forwarding packets to other networks on the pfsense box.

I tried adding the bridge, still wasn't able to get to the internet but winbox closed and couldn't reconnect until I used ssh from the pfsense box and removed the bridge. :iiam:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I started out wanting just a wireless bridge. Then I thought about running a virtual ap with another network just for guests at the office that I would firewall off from our network and just allow internet access. Then I thought I should learn OSPF since I'm going to have a bunch of virtual machines running behind a pfsense vm in the near future. Then I ended up with my current mess.

Right now ether1 has a direct connection to the pfsense box and both interfaces are on a /30. wlan1 and companyname each have a /26. The routerboard is running dhcp for both wireless connections. I can get from either wireless to anything on the other side of the pfsense box without problems. I spent yesterday using xabber to message people's desktops just because I could. The only thing that doesn't work is wireless to internet, and I'm not sure where to start.

I may tear our ospf and just set static routes, or I may just make it a wireless bridge and not worry about it until I have more time.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
code:
Codes: K - kernel route, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, O - OSPF,
       I - ISIS, B - BGP, > - selected route, * - FIB route

K>* 0.0.0.0/0 via redacted, xl0
C>* redacted/30 is directly connected, xl0
C>* 127.0.0.0/8 is directly connected, lo0
C>* 192.168.0.0/24 is directly connected, fxp0
O   192.168.20.0/30 [110/10] is directly connected, xl1, 23:04:14
C>* 192.168.20.0/30 is directly connected, xl1
O>* 192.168.20.128/26 [110/20] via 192.168.20.2, xl1, 01:55:39
O>* 192.168.20.192/26 [110/30] via 192.168.20.2, xl1, 01:55:38
Everything is there.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I gave up and made it a simple wireless bridge :(

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Rule 1 allows established connections through, this is so when something behind your nat connects to the internet the internet can respond back. Rule 2 is for related connections, I have no idea what that is. Either right click and select detail mode, or double click on a rule and you can see that those two are only for a certain connection state.

Afaik you can firewall between interfaces. It has an input interface and output interface in the rule but I've never used it.

edit: I take a long time to type

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I don't have any idea, what dhcp client settings do you have?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
They tend to post slides and videos from those events.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

darkhand posted:

I'm in the middle of trying to learn a bunch of this stuff, so tell me if what I'm doing is idiotic

It makes sense if you want to cut down on the amount of broadcast traffic. Keep in mind that:

a) You'll be using RouterOS DHCP server which means no good way to register the host names of DHCP clients with your Windows server

b) You'll be routing traffic between subnets on the Routerboard. This will be slower than a switch and may be a new bottleneck depending on how your network is used.

Each interface getting its own subnet will need to be taken off the switch chip, will need its own DHCP server settings and pool assigned, and an IP in that subnet which will be defined as the default gateway in DHCP. You shouldn't need to set up any routing as it already knows about the networks it has an interface on. I think you'll need to set up a WINS server on your Windows machine if it isn't already running or none of the Windows Networking stuff will work between subnets, this address is handed out by DHCP.

I've never done this so I'm probably missing/wrong about a few things :)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Has anyone tried RouterOS 6 yet?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Yeah I see they have a new release (6.1) that came out on 6/12. I was going to ask if there are any known issues before upgrading from 5.25.

With MikroTik its the unknown issues :ohdear:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

pubic void nullo posted:

OK, whatever. Let's see what I'm getting into. Browsing the changelog for 6.2...

In what world is this an acceptable patch note?

In Latvia

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
They also like making hardware revisions without saying anything as some people found out with the RB2011.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

GrandMaster posted:

Is anyone here running the RB751G-2HnD?
I've been having wired network dropout problems since 6.2, but after rolling back to 6.1 it's rock solid. The connection from my HTPC to my NAS drops for around 10mins at a time before re-establishing, i don't seem to have any connectivity problems from my wifi clients at the time this is occurring though.

Can't see anything on their forums or the web describing the problem however..

I have one of these and it runs great but I also run 5.something

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why not return it for a new one?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Anyone looking at the new Cloud Router Switch? Knowing MT I have a bad feeling that things will need to be split across certain port groups for performance.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kiwid posted:

I have an RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN and when I VPN using L2TP/IPSEC md5/sha I can get max speeds of about 900kB/s. Looking at the CPU, it's at 100% when transferring like this. What is the cheapest routerboard I can buy that would get me about 5mB/s? Would I be better off building my own x86 box?

I've never found good sizing information, and a lot of what is out there suggests selecting the shittiest possible encryption method for performance. I think the next CPU up would be the RB1100AHx2 at about $350.

There are a lot of people using Routerboards professionally on the Mikrotik forums, if you can get past English as a fourth language I would ask there.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kiwid posted:

Ah yes it is, but why?

Here is the profile:

My DNS is still being changed.

Is there a setting for this in your vpn software?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does anyone know how much better the antennas on the 2011 are compared to the internal antenna on the 951G? I'm considering using two to make a wireless bridge in an old building and would rather use the nondescript white 951G than have a big black and red box with an lcd screen and antenna poking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What he said. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:License#Licenses_and_RouterOS_upgrades