Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hi, On amazon.it the CSS326-24G-2S+RM model price (143€) is now low enough to sway me from maybe to definite buy to upgrade my homelab. How much reliable/stable is SwitchOS? Is it hard to use/configure? Anybody have tried that model?

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Do you think there is a point into shelling out for the dualboot model or the swos image is adequate enough? I only plan to use it for l2+vlan. I took a look at the "extensive" documentation and didn't see any reference to ipv6, the management is ipv4 only, is that right?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Understood, i was expecting an anemic l3 performance anyway given the switch chip and ram. Shame about IPv6, as it is the CSS would be the only device in my household that runs as ipv4 only :/ Are you using the 10g port with dac cables, optical or copper? I would like to buy a css along a s+rj10 sfp to connect it to my nas but i never used mikrotik with sfp+ so i'm a bit wary(they cannot do worse than ubiquiti but i still don't want to have issues to save some pennies).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 9, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I've found this link on the CSS product page https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_SFP_module_compatibility_table .
From the main table a CSS326 looks ok with S+RJ10 model sfp+, I just hope that qnap QM2 10gbase-t card won't make a fuss with mikrotik gear

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Howdy, I have just setup a simple CHR VM on my QNAP. I wanted to add thedude server package, the wiki suggest adding a second disk to keep the historic data. How much space should I provision to the VM to keep say three months for your average household?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

redeyes posted:

Edge Router X or Mikrotik HEX for a business network with like 40 devices. 60mb down with 12mb up (Comcast business). Only need a few port forwards and firewall rules. Nothing major.

Opinions?

Do you need to use VPN? VPN performance is kinda weak on a ER-X

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

redeyes posted:

Yeah I do. Mostly for checking video camera stuffs. Only for a couple people at a time at most I think.

They are kinda bottom rung devices, both are switch chips used as routers so don't expect world record breaking performance. Have you got any experience on edgerouters or mikrotik? I'd say pick the one you are more confortable with from taking a glance at the docs.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FunOne posted:

Is this a safe space to ask about Unifi gear as well? I recently upgraded the house to add a second AC-Lite AP, but on both of them I have ~20% utilization on the 2.4ghz spectrum (according to the dashboard) basically all the time. Doesn't seem to matter what channel I set it to, and the port stats from my router don't show meaningful traffic.

Any idea what I could be seeing?

That's frequency interference/overhead. Did you set transmit power to low/mid to 2,4/5?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FunOne posted:

I have 2.4 on Mid & 5 on High.

Try lowering 2g to low on both to see if the interference goes away.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

EssOEss posted:

Sounds like you need some nice MikroTik statistics!

If you hate money like me you can do the same with unifi -> https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011813968-UniFi-AirTime-What-s-Eating-your-Wi-Fi-Performance-. It's as badly engineered as it looks from the docs, in no way equivalent as airmarshall as they like to claim in all their promo material.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case you are like me and you need to get some quick and dirty network diagram with network bandwidth usage (and you cannot be assed to get cacti/observium/librenms up and running), you can set up a free CHR instance and use the dude without any restriction. It might lack the finesse of the more famous platform but it does the trick in a hurry.

EDIT: It seems like there is a new major release (6.44), updating my CHR pretty much nuked most of the conf, maybe i was unlucky but watch out and backup everything before upgrading.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 26, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hmm in case you guys missed it, v7 is real

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=151903

Feature wise is pretty much v6.45.5 but with a new linux kernel

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SamDabbers posted:

Also why do so many people seem to prefer openvpn when IPsec performs better on these platforms, and there's a native L2TP client built into Windows and MacOS?

Windows 10 L2TP client is hosed since 1809 so maybe that's the reason? If you use password rather than certs you need to start the session using powershell instead of the conventional gui.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If you REALLY hate reliability, ROS 7 beta 2 has a CHR image now...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I am really confused by their strange ethernet repeater products and termination kit though - though maybe in Central/Eastern Europe it makes perfect sense to wire up large apartment blocks, but it's not like terminating fibre is expensive anymore.

"If you want to do a out-of-spec length wiring job and all your techs can only do copper termination" This is the GPeR use case. There is a surprising lack of interest in retraining techs from copper crimp/punch to fiber splicing in a lot of firms which historically used copper for every link-type.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kreeblah posted:

Oh, hey, this thread isn't dead yet.

Netgate and Ubiquiti have both been pissing me off (Netgate with how they're totally unable to own up to loving up, like with the WireGuard poo poo, and Ubiquiti with their abysmal "stable" releases and, now, putting ads in the controller software), and I'm starting to think about looking to see what else is out there for alternatives. I've heard people talking about Mikrotik for years, but I don't know much about it. So, I have some questions, and I'm hoping somebody might have some thoughts on them.

How are people's experiences with it these days? I saw some mention of it being kind of unstable and needing to be rebooted every month or two. Is that still the case? And how loud are the fans? Unfortunately, I don't really have a place to put my networking gear that's out of the way, so quieter stuff is definitely better. Ubiquiti's been great for that.

Also, how is it for DNS these days? I have a subdomain for my home devices, and pfSense has been great about letting me manage that, while forwarding requests for addresses at the rest of the domain to the upstream DNS servers. Can the Mikrotik stuff do something similar? I see it does DNS caching, but I'm not seeing much about intercepting requests for a subdomain.

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to set up OpenVPN? The documentation on running an OpenVPN server on these things seems a little, uh, thin. Also, do they really not support anything better than SHA1 for auth? And which mode do they run AES in? GCM?

When I started looking at this, I was assuming that it was a controller/device model for licensing. But, reading the licensing page, it sounds like it's per-device instead. While I don't imagine I'd run into any of the limits for what they currently license for, if they were to introduce some new feature in the future that required, say, a level 5 license, would I be unable to use it on any devices with level 4 licenses, even if I had a device with a level 5 license as well?

For management, would I need to go into each device and configure it individually, or is it possible to do that from a centralized place? I'm on a Mac, so running Winbox would mean doing all my configuration in a VM, which, while possible, wouldn't be ideal. If I could configure everything from a single CLI or web UI or something, that'd be much better. One of the features of the Ubiquiti stuff that I've appreciated is that they're big on the SDN model, which makes management really simple. Swap out an AP or a switch? Just adopt the new one, and it's good to go. It looks like Mikrotik might use a more traditional model for that (configure each device individually, then deploy it), which I can understand, but . . . well, I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Is there any meaningful difference other than how it's configured out of the box between one of their high-end switches and one of their routing appliances if they both run RouterOS? It seems like it should be possible to reconfigure a switch to do routing work, if the hardware works out better for a particular use case.

How's their multigig stuff been? I've started to transition my network to 10gig, and my ISP is going to start offering some sort of multigig service level in the future. So, ideally, I'd like to be in a place where I can make good use of it.

1. It’s relatively stable but it’s not going to rack up months or years of uptime if you keep it current with updates. Most base to intermediate kit is fan less so it shouldn’t be a problem noise wise.

2. You are far better off subscribing to the free tier of cloudflare, upload your current domain objects and just use the mikrotik as a cache from that.

3. Never done openvpn, only l2tp, which is far from the best compared to other systems.

4. Every mikrotik router device is sold with a full license, you need to worry about license only if you white box your router(best option is a chr vm).

5. Every device is standalone AFAIK. You can manage ap in a sorta managed way.

6. Their high end l3 switches suck rear end at routing so forget about it.

7. Their latest routers provide a sfp+ cage so you should be golden for nbase/10g.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Actuarial Fables posted:

https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2004_1g_2xs_pcie

I thought at first they were just selling their own kind of 25G PCIe adapter, but no it's a router.

It’s a router/server that works as a nic, it’s a big thing in current data centers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Does Mikrotik STILL not have any 802.11ax stuff? I'm due for a new home AP/router, but I don't want to buy something that's not at least sorta current.

Mikro wifi is always been weird, if you want a single purpose device i would suggest other option but i second the router+AP separation suggested by other people(albeit without unifi which i only have bad stories to tell about).