Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1592430390568194049?s=20&t=Plirh2VZKHEb3DLz9kSJnA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ6 tried to do a lot and while it was visually impressive for its time and had a lot of content, it can be rough. The boss you fight just before class changing unlocks can be hellishly hard in the SNES version.

DQ4 on the NES was awesome. Though when playing through it for the first time you realize things like having Taloon skip the chests in the silver statue cave is the ideal thing to do because you can grab the gear in ch5 and get a huge early game boost from doing so.
does the nes version have a context sensitive button or is it back to choosing off a menu

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You might as well play the mobile version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

does the nes version have a context sensitive button or is it back to choosing off a menu

Menu

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012
How did Heartbeat make such a pretty game with VI and such an ugly game with VII?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gloam posted:

How did Heartbeat make such a pretty game with VI and such an ugly game with VII?

Wasn't VI on the SNES and VII on the PSX? Wonder if the completely new hardware had something to do with it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It was originally planned for the N64-DD, moved to the Playstation, and got delayed a few times. The game is so drat long I assume nobody had time to work on graphics because the couldn't stop the writers. "hey, can I make the character models look good? No time, we have to assemble three more cities and a dungeon and it has to incorporate these puns"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is DQ7 longer on the 3DS or the PSX? (or is it 6 and 6)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Much longer on PSX

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

In Training posted:

Much longer on PSX

That's what I thought; I was debating whether to play it on 3DS original hardware or emulated on Odin Duckstation.

Why is the PSX version so much longer? I mean 'why' as in 'what causes the remake to be so much shorter', not 'why did the devs do X, Y, or Z'

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you're playing on actual hardware, load times on psx are brutal (comparatively)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

That's what I thought; I was debating whether to play it on 3DS original hardware or emulated on Odin Duckstation.

Why is the PSX version so much longer? I mean 'why' as in 'what causes the remake to be so much shorter', not 'why did the devs do X, Y, or Z'

The opening island has been rewritten to get the game going quicker. Also the fights are faster individually and there are no random battles so you can more easily run to new story bits. I don't remember any other major changes, I'm pretty sure all the towns + dungeons other than the first dungeon were recreated faithfully

Don't take my word 100%, I played the remake once when it came out a few years ago and just played through the PSX version last year.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

In Training posted:

The opening island has been rewritten to get the game going quicker. Also the fights are faster individually and there are no random battles so you can more easily run to new story bits. I don't remember any other major changes, I'm pretty sure all the towns + dungeons other than the first dungeon were recreated faithfully

Don't take my word 100%, I played the remake once when it came out a few years ago and just played through the PSX version last year.

Weird thing about it, changing the fights from random encounters to enemies on the map actually seemed to increase the number of encounters you had. Partly since the maps were pretty faithful to the PSX version so none of them were really designed with that kind of mechanic in mind. If I remember right it's something that makes the PSX version actually faster to speedrun than the 3DS version (The difference in the top time is the PSX version being 5 hours faster).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A few parts of the plot were condensed in the remake, most notably near the beginning. Some convenience features added reduce the amount of time spent looking for certain mandatory treasures. Loading times are shorter, and I think that the overall speed of the game in 3D is slightly increased, both in and out of battle. All of this means that a casual player can expect to finish the 3DS version quite a bit quicker. It's still an unbelievably long game, however.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Gloam posted:

This is basically the main issue with early 3D. Even the gaming press at the time noted how dire DQ7 looked. Compare to gorgeous stuff on PS1 like Tales of Destiny and Legend of Mana. That said, other examples of sprites-on-polygons (Xenogears, Breath of Fire IV) don't look nearly as bad. Heartbeat's engine just sucked. Even though the DS remakes (4-6) used a similar engine, those games are far more pleasing to the eye. Kudos to ArtePiazza for getting it right.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Last Celebration posted:

Imho it’s because VI is the only one without a “thing”, a goal beyond just being Another Dragon Quest. 2 massively expands on what 1 laid the groundwork for, 3 continues on that trend, 4 is arguably a step back in pure gameplay terms but has more of an overarching story on top of the whole Chapter thing, 5 is probably one of the coolest SNES games period in terms of its execution of its goal of a twenty year odyssey to find a legendary hero on top of monster taming still being a new concept*, 7 was “holy poo poo we can make HOW many vignettes on two discs?”, 8 was a journey across seas and skies (even the JP title is basically that), 9 was kinda ambitious for even trying to be a handheld MMO kinda deal, and 11 was the anniversary title.

DQ4 for the NES was only a gameplay step back due to AI being mandatory in Chapter 5 and the AI being kinda dumb (looking at you, Cristo). 5 definitely learned from those missteps in 4 and improved it in addition to adding monster taming several years before Pokemon came out but after some other games like SMT already existed.

DQ7's claim to fame is that it made me realize, no, I actually didn't want a 100+ hour long Dragon Quest game. Though that was probably due in part to the PSX game spending several hours of gameplay before your first fight. Anyone who thinks Suikoden 5 has a 'slow' start must has never played DQ7 PSX (and they're just wrong in general but that's another topic). Pretty sure I was 20-25 hours in before I hit Dharma and then another 2hrs until I could class change.

When I later beat the game on an emulator it was still over 100 hours on the game file (and I frame-skipped 99% of the gameplay).

Scholtz posted:

heal slime banana stand...

You are not allowed to post stuff like this without a link to where I can buy it.

Nihilarian posted:

The NES only has an A and B button. Though I guess they could've made Select work for that.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ7's claim to fame is that it made me realize, no, I actually didn't want a 100+ hour long Dragon Quest game.
I'm right there with you and yet I still went 120 hours in DQXI.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You are not allowed to post stuff like this without a link to where I can buy it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/comments/yvtbh5/new_merchandizing_in_japan_lottery/

It's apparently only available as a lottery prize from a specific store in Japan. If you go get one get me one to please.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think what DQXI taught me is that I don't care how long a game is, as long as it continues to be good. The reason I tell myself I don't want long games is because most long games have long periods of being boring.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I absolutely adore 7, even with it's vast size. The lengths may be comparable but it's tonally and structurally a very different game than XI (which I also love but for different reasons)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The opening of Dragon Quest 7 is amazing, even in truncated form. The game's got some problems, but going on a whole rear end peaceful adventure before you see your first slime wasn't ever one of them.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think DQ9 is the weakest of the modern games. I don't care for class systems where you can just keep piling on abilities - even in DQ3 you were limited by your current class stat growth and equipment options. The main story and vignettes were some of the weakest in the series.

Most importantly, they didn't have separate slots for equipment stats and appearance so you were punished for trying to be fashionable. :mad:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Scholtz posted:

heal slime banana stand...

There's always Mini Medals in the banana stand.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

whydirt posted:

I think DQ9 is the weakest of the modern games. I don't care for class systems where you can just keep piling on abilities - even in DQ3 you were limited by your current class stat growth and equipment options. The main story and vignettes were some of the weakest in the series.

Most importantly, they didn't have separate slots for equipment stats and appearance so you were punished for trying to be fashionable. :mad:

Fair points about 9. My problem with it was, not surprisingly, the lovely online content unlocking system. War of the Lions did a similar thing that really pissed me off. I've always regarded gaming as a solitary past-time and I'm sick of people trying to crowbar in MP elements every-bloody-where.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ofecks posted:

This is basically the main issue with early 3D. Even the gaming press at the time noted how dire DQ7 looked.

Coming out in the west right before FFX did it zero favors lol

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

Fair points about 9. My problem with it was, not surprisingly, the lovely online content unlocking system. War of the Lions did a similar thing that really pissed me off. I've always regarded gaming as a solitary past-time and I'm sick of people trying to crowbar in MP elements every-bloody-where.

The worst was the streetpass feature getting crammed into everything on the DS (or was it 3DS?). Like I get that it makes sense in Japan where you have a large population of devoted users packed into a relatively small area, but that poo poo was loving useless in the US.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mylan posted:

The worst was the streetpass feature getting crammed into everything on the DS (or was it 3DS?). Like I get that it makes sense in Japan where you have a large population of devoted users packed into a relatively small area, but that poo poo was loving useless in the US.

Yahtzee mentioned that once, and I agree. I have a couple of 3DSs and I keep streetpass off at all times. I don't give a poo poo if someone near me also has a 3DS; I bought the drat thing so that I can play it while sitting under a tree... in a wood... far from civilisation.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The last boss of dq3 is a slog. If i was going to fight him without savestates i would definitely have to grind a lot. my hero and martial artist each did about as much damage as he healed every turn with the damage buff spell, and that was pretty much my only dps because he had bounce and i needed to heal every turn, twice most of the time. Thank god for the sage stone and the 4 wizard rings i picked up

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mylan posted:

3DS made it a system-level feature that could handle multiple game saves simultaneously - before that, it was just a thing that a few DS games tried that never really took off because you and everyone else had to have the cartridge inserted and specifically set to receive passing data, which isn't a thing people would just casually do. DQ9's the one DS game with that feature that actually took off, and it's probably the primary reason why 3DS adopted it as a core feature to begin with, but even then, it mostly turned into people planning to meet up and exchange data rather than being a casual, passive thing.

Games like DQ7 3DS and Bravely Default let you do all the streetpass stuff online, so it wasn't always a big deal. Come to think of it, I can't think of any 3DS games off the top of my head that had any really crucial/interesting stuff gated behind streetpass, but I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Are there hacks that restore the street pass content to IX or is it lost to time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

In Training posted:

Are there hacks that restore the street pass content to IX or is it lost to time.

If you mean the stuff like the postgame campaign that you gradually downloaded yeah, the DS was too primitive to have actual downloadable content so the street pass stuff was just a key telling the game you could access X so there should be hacks for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DQ9 had a bunch of quests and a shop with some exclusive gear that could only be unlocked by wi-fi, but they're all on the card and can be still be unlocked by action replay codes, or by finding a WEP hotspot and connecting the DS to a specific DNS address. The most important ones are the special treasure maps that lead to bosses from old games - you can unlock some of them normally, but half of them were wi-fi items.

The big deal with the streetpass was that it would let you trade the regular treasure maps that lead to randomly-generated dungeons, and there were very specific in-demand maps that seeded really bountiful dungeons, but I don't think there's really anything lost content-wise.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nihilarian posted:

The last boss of dq3 is a slog. If i was going to fight him without savestates i would definitely have to grind a lot. my hero and martial artist each did about as much damage as he healed every turn with the damage buff spell, and that was pretty much my only dps because he had bounce and i needed to heal every turn, twice most of the time. Thank god for the sage stone and the 4 wizard rings i picked up
you didn't forget to use the orb on him did you

because one time I did, oh boy

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it's definitely this lol

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Games like DQ7 3DS and Bravely Default let you do all the streetpass stuff online, so it wasn't always a big deal. Come to think of it, I can't think of any 3DS games off the top of my head that had any really crucial/interesting stuff gated behind streetpass, but I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of them.

Completing the Pokedex equivalent in Yokai Watch is locked behind Streetpass.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oops

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The current game on my "Hey Let's Actually Play My Steam Library" project is Dragon Quest Heroes. I'm most of the way through the main story, and it's been interesting. My first Musou game. I'm not very good at it. Already spent a lot of time looking at forums/GameFAQs/YouTube for gameplay tips. Is the really close camera angle A Thing in these types of games? Really wish I could zoom it out a bit. And that there was an equippable accessory or something that auto-looted item drops. Apparently Terry is completely OP and I didn't play him at all until yesterday. Normally I use Bianca to clear trash and Nera to nuke packs of beefies. I'm going for 100% achievements, about halfway there so far.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Don't feel bad - we've all done it. It's very easy to miss that mechanic and, while he can be beaten without orb-ing, I'll leave that to the masochists.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I really enjoyed the game right up untip the final boss so i'll probably play it again some time and remember orb

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i liked beating him without orb but i did it intentionally, i could see where it would be offputting if you didn't intend to do it. it is the only thing in the game that really tests your party minmaxing so if you're into that it's a fun challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jazerus posted:

i liked beating him without orb but i did it intentionally, i could see where it would be offputting if you didn't intend to do it. it is the only thing in the game that really tests your party minmaxing so if you're into that it's a fun challenge

I was never able to beat him orbless, and that was with a hero that was level 77~ish, a sage in the high 60s, and a solider/pilgrim that knew every wizard and pilgrim spell in the game. How did you go about it?