Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rodney the Piper posted:

You need to listen to Talk'n Shop. It's entered the top tier of wrestling podcasts.

Too sweet that. It immediately jumped to my favorite wrestling podcast. It really does feel like friends just shooting the poo poo about their funny stories and trying to piss off AJ Styles as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Rodney the Piper posted:

Pissing off World Champion Hoot by talking about how he needs to get off their dang property is the best.

He wouldn't want to be on the property of an Obama hoot anyways.

...oh and Drew, watch out for that CHOKESLAM

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

When Triple H returned from the quad tear, he rocked the denim vest over leather jacket and he'll forever be cool with me.

Like James Hetfield fell in the ooze instead of in a firework.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Cactus Jack posted:

You guys realize that Dave keeps the juno email because everyone has that address and Dave doesn't want to lose contact with people, right?

He could set up automatic forwarding and get a real email.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

So basically saying that Reigns is better than 04 Cena doesn't really mean much here?

It's saying that Reigns is ahead of Cena when they were at the same point in their careers, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he can handle the main event spot. In ten years, we will see nothing but a sea of "Assess. Attack. Respect." shirts.

(MRT, feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted what you meant)

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Hearing Triple H gush about NXT and the Performance Center gives me hope for the future. As much as he gets poo poo for the shovel antics, the dude cares about wrestling which is more than can be said about any other executive in the company. It's no shock that NXT is the best wrestling show going right now.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Thauros posted:

I wouldn't expect Vince to be watching any non WWE wrestling at this point, but I wonder how much HHH watches? He really should be keeping up on talented guys in other companies.

My guess is that he has scouts who do the real research and then they show him tapes once they've narrowed in on a talent that would work for them. Regal was at BOLA 2013 scouting talent, if I remember right.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

coconono posted:

Jericho's intros are obnoxious as gently caress and he plays a lovely song from his lovely band.

The only good part of the intro for the most recent episode was when he played audio of Jean Paul Levesque cutting a promo.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

triplexpac posted:

Oh yeah, I listened to the Talking Shop when the boys are completely lit-ski talking to Cole & D'Amore. What a mess haha. Poor A-1, it's never fun being the sober person getting called up by the hammered dudes.

A-1 asking if they were talking about the parking lot powerbomb killed me. I thought D'Amore was mostly joking about A-1 slamming a dude down, but nope, it was a straight up shoot powerbomb.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

ChaosSmurf posted:

Maybe the guest (Heyman) just wasn't as interesting as HHH/Batista.

I see what you wrote but my brain cannot understand those words in that order. Nobody is more interesting than Paul Heyman.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Ok, I figured someone would've posted about it by now so I'll bite. Did anyone listen to the Russo Ross Report that came out last night? I had planned on listening due to the train wreck appeal but then I read JR taped it before Russo was fired by TNA so I didn't bother.

I got about 5 minutes into the interview and switched to something more interesting. It was just a lot of "I swear to gaaawd" and "Let me tell yous" without much else. I was interested to see if JR would ask about Oklahoma, but I'll just wait until someone with more patience posts about it.

Also, JR is obsessed with the lighting in ROH.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I've never eaten at a Waffle House but I'll be damned if Stone Cold doesn't make it sound like heaven on earth.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Fat Lowtax posted:

Drink every time JR says "physicality"

That would make you run out of Route 44 diet...peach...tea awfully quickly!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

One of my favorite parts of the show is that despite being easily one of the most financially successful wrestlers of all time, Austin is still a cheap bastard who will get pissed about the price of a skillet at Walmart.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The AEPodcast review of the Broken Skull Challenge is pretty great. The Stone Cold impressions killed me and then the realization that an obstacle course is much more suspenseful than whether a scallop is good was the cherry on top.

It helps that the Broken Skull Challenge is a great show.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I honestly just want a Stone Cold reality show on the network. Follow him around Trader Joe's and let the fun ensue.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Jesus Christ, that match. It's as if Magee had only ever heard wrestling described and not actually seen it in action. Who decided that he would have a martial arts based offense? His axe kick on the outside was particularly adorable.

Lastly, that mother fucker's torso is just weirdly long. Makes Benoit look positively leggy.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

JR's opinions are literally just:

Tell good stories
Have satisfying conclusions
Have wrestling be the focus of the wrestling show
Sonic is good

So he's 75% right and nobody is disagreeing with him, but the tone of condescension is off the charts. Also, at least Stone Cold and Jericho pretend to care about the products in their ads. JR's DDP Yoga starts with him saying that wrestlers are hucksters full of bullshit.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Does anybody else use Podcruncher? I can't get any of the PodcastOne podcasts to refresh new episodes. It's been this way since Tueaday probably.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

bob sapp is on talkin' shop tomorrow. can't wait.

Dive-Takin' Hoot

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The MLW website is terrible. The fact that I have to search out each episodes instead of having them automatically add to a podcast app is ridiculous in the modern podcast landscape.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

The new ones too? :smith:

I listened to episode 11 today without a membership.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Meltzer is on JR's podcast tomorrow. This should be interesting.

It should be but JR will find a way to make the interview feel like a bunch of tangents with one good story. Austin really screwed the pooch when he forgot to hit that drat record button.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I finally got to the latest episode of Talk'n Shop and I'll be damned if Doc's Tough Enough story isn't one of the funniest things I've ever heard on a wrestling podcast.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The new Talk'n Shop features Bob Sapp: Financial Advisor and it is fantastic. Millionaire Hoot needs to be a regular guest.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Hating Colt Cabana is en vogue here now, but Cliff Compton'a bachelorette party story on the most recent AoW is awesome.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Stone Cold did another call in episode today. Unsurprisingly, most of the callers were equal parts sycophantic and smarky as hell. What is surprising is that Austin thinks Dean Ambrose needs to hit the gym more. How much more jacked can he be?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I'm stoked for the Stone Cold breakdown, but I feel like it is going to be really hard to sync up properly to listen and watch at the same time.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'm going to email him the same.

I've never heard a match commentary like this before where someone goes into the intricacies of how they planned the match out. Every other match commentary on any DVD is just like "Oh that was a cool move" or "I remember that hurt." I'm surprised to see that most of the match was called on the fly. I know that's the case most of the time but I figured the main event of WM is one thing they would want perfected and rehearsed plenty of times.

Most old school workers frown upon anything beyond a basic skeleton of a match. There is an episode of Austin's podcast where he and the guest talk about Savage/Steamboat and then say it is a shame that it was planned out entirely because that's how Savage worked. Weird mentality of you value the end result, but there is a pride in the craft of an improvised match.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I really loved the commentary and hope to hell that he gets Bret in studio soon for WM 13. The swig of water was so drat sly. Also, I watched it on the Network so that I could play it on my TV with the best resolution possible and I found it really easy to sync. The one thing I would have changed is a cue for when to pause the match beyond just the sound dropping out.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Draga posted:

Are there any terrible wrestlers or gimmicks that you like? If so, who?

Banjo

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Swan Curry posted:

But then you'll miss Jericho referring to Africa as a country.

Both of the Ziggler interviews are very good,his descriptions of his concussions are pretty :stare:

I found his explanation if how he studies Mike Tyson fights and movies for selling tips to be the most fascinating. More people could stand to be students of the game like that.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

ICHIBAHN posted:

Eh. Explain that one? Tyson selling?

He said he watches combat sports and action movies to see different ways that people get hurt/fall so that he can incorporate that into his own selling. Might be part of the reason that I think Dolph gets a new concussion every week. The other part is that period when he got a new concussion every week.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

epitasis posted:

Machine Gun is gonna be on the JR show in the coming weeks so someone give me a heads up so I can download that single show

Big question: will he be BBQ Hoot or Bell's Palsy Hoot?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

They'll get along because Jericho is in a moderately successful band and Hogan was basically in Metallica.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Gaz-L posted:

...I mean... I know he's probably said worse about her in other promos, but I'm surprised she didn't stop the whole segment and make them reshoot it, let alone that it got cut.

Vince was intrigued by the concept, but ultimately cut it when he realized that his one time singing "Stand Back" doesn't make him count as a musician.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Grozz Nuy posted:

This is probably the current WWE worker I'd be most interested in hearing a detailed interview with, provided he's not in character. Just hearing his perspective on the gimmick change and the huge leap he took as a performer afterwards would be really fascinating. I know HHH gave Bray credit for creating the character himself when he was on Jericho's podcast, so hearing how he developed it and refined it in NXT before coming back up would be great. If it's just him in kayfabe giving a bunch of promos about his feuds and matches then that'd be a big letdown.

Austin mentioned that he wanted to talk about Husky Harris and the like, and you don't say no to Stone Cold.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone got a fresh link to the cabana podcast mp3?

It amazes me that his host has not fixed the podcast. He reached #2 on the iTunes chart, but they can't be bothered to fix it and maybe top Serial.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

That last stomp hit him right in the head :stonk:

I want to hear what Roddy and Bryan have to say about this match. The Bucks said they were totally cool otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Austin has been a big Cesaro supporter for awhile now. I'm hoping that He pulled Vince aside and had a come to Jesus meeting about pushing Cesaro. Austin is one of the few people who can probably get through to Vince at this point.

• Locked thread