Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AllanGordon posted:

Who does have the authority to dissolve parliament?

Also liking the new thread title.

The military has the power to dissolve it(by force). Whether it's legal or not is irrelevant in a military dictatorship; that it took this long for them to basically go "ok enough of this poo poo, we're not giving up control" is the only thing that could be a surprise at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Al-Saqr posted:

It's based off a tweet off what an interior minister policeman told his friend.

The MB has literally published a book with a photograph of every document by every branch by every committee in the election signed and stamped by the presiding judges. They won this and they have proof, Shafiq and his cronies are just kicking and screaming in pain and denial.

Denial which will then be used by the SCAF to declare Sharif the winner rather than write up a "Military is #1" Constitution that regulates the president to that of a figurehead, if neither of those happen I'd be completely stunned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I never expected the SCAF to announce Morsi the winner but I guess we still have to wait to see how the "SCAF oversees the constitution" situation plays out before Egypt's in the clear.

ThirdPartyView posted:

Why would he be sad? He's got the major power brokers in Egypt in his corner and wields power through their influence?

What power would he have in that regard? If he's not on the SCAF and holds no office he'd be a military buddy but I don't see how he'd have any power with or through them at this point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

With how vital tourism is to Egypt they can't really afford to ban alcohol or bikinis and lose that tourism income. I'm sure the Red Sea's nice but if people want to go to a beach and they have to pick between no alcohol and 1950s-style swimwear or a place in the Mediterranean (or Caribbean) it's going to sway some people.

I just don't see a ban happening though. Look at places like Morocco, where you can buy alcohol and see locals walking around in tight fitting clothes (usually younger people) in the souks. Yeah alcohol is expensive as hell there but they still serve it at some locations (and hotel bars). I'm not sure how Egypt's liquor laws are currently compared to places like the US but I can't see prohibition hitting Egypt unless Morsi thinks he (or the MB) will get reelected without secular support if things get peaceful long enough for reelection to start to matter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Annan's new plan for Syria is an interim government that would include members from both the regime and opposition but excluding "people whose participation would jeopardize cooperation". This is assumed to mean none other than Bashar al-Assad.

According to BBC, Russia has promised to support the plan but it's not known if they also agree with excluding Assad. But it'd be laughable to think that Bashar al-Assad could have any role in a new government after all that's happened. The Syria conference will take place on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18621678

My concern is that Assad would refuse, and then Russia would refuse to let UNSC to pressure him, and war continues.

He could have a role in the new government. He could be the first person the new government puts on trial for crimes against humanity. :haw:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Some huge news from Damascus, the FSA have managed to captured a Major General And Brigadier General in the suburbs of Damascus, one of whom works for the notorious Palestine Intelligence Branch, and another for central command. I've put together a blog post with the video and screen caps of their IDs, and it seems pretty certain it's who the FSA claims they are. It's pretty incredible these two high ranking figures can be captured in the suburbs of Damascus.

I'm also going to guess it wasn't pure luck they managed to capture them, possibly means they had inside help...

Not sure if it's the same for others, but the map on your page isn't loading; clicking the larger map link brings it up on google though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Military leaders are pretty much always more valuable alive than dead. Either as a source of intel or bargaining chip, let alone convincing one to switch sides which might be feasible in a situation like this where Assad might be/is losing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

When this is all over you should post a graph of visits-per-day to your blog before-during-after the conflict.

Spakstik posted:

From al-Jazeera: "On the other hand, in a remark sure to worry Western leaders, Morsi also promised to work to free Omar Abdel Rahman, the Egyptian cleric currently serving a life sentence in the United States for planning the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center. His pledge was most likely a sop to the Salafi groups which have made Abdel Rahman's release a prominent issue."

Even Obama winning reelection and being a lame duck isn't going to make this happen. If there's a short list of people the US would never show mercy to I would imagine this guy will be on it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

I've decided to kick the conspiracy theory hornets nest with my latest blog post, looking at Alex Jones' InfoWars And Their Anti-Free Syrian Army Propaganda. Hoping this will wind up a lot of conspiracy theorists.

That commenter made my head hurt. I want to believe they were being sarcastic. :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mans posted:

A ground invasion is out of line, the Syrian army is simply too strong ( some of their forces have actual military training :ohdear:) for that and supplying rebels with firearms is the only thing they can do, which i assume Turkey is already doing.

You mean like Iraq and its army?

The difference in power between a military like Syria's and the US or a European power is several magnitudes apart. You'd be looking at a Russia vs Georgia scenario, even if it was just Turkey that invaded claiming retribution for the fighter pilots.

Invading would be beyond stupid, but there's nothing Syria's military could do to stop it even if you ignore that they're being beaten by the uprising.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

az jan jananam posted:

I love the "SHHH" over Bahrain

The Washington DC and Cuba labels are so accurate that they could perform surgery.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Won't be surprised to see Brown Moses mentioned on 60 Minutes if/when they do an Arab Spring piece.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Why wouldn't they continue to support their ally? It's not like Russia and China are countries known for allowing political dissent.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

McDowell posted:

Or Russia and China wouldn't back down and we'll have World War 3 :)

There won't be a World War 3 because none of those 3 countries are huge fans of being on either side of nuclear MAD. No country can defend against the others' nuclear arsenals and each of the countries have more than enough firepower to make sure that MAD happens if it needs to.

Putin plays the "I'm a badass" role well enough but he's not going to risk his country over a country like Syria. He's also busy enough returning to the good old days of Stalinism and those protests don't suppress themselves.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alchenar posted:

As for China, their position is extremely simple: they'll never support anything in the UN which supports the idea of intervention in a country's internal politics, nor of its right to territorial integrity.

Yeah, last thing China wants is to give people pause regarding their conquered areas reclaimed motherlands like Tibet and potentially Taiwan.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kurdistan will not happen unless Turkey's convinced to let it happen. Turkey has a hard time admitting to the Armenian genocide. If Kurdistan forms Turkey's going to stomp on it and maybe only take back the land that is currently part of its country. Giving up a spot in the EU to keep the country intact seems plausible especially if there's more Greek-grade issues the EU's dealing with.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

This sentence is adorable. I want to take take it home and hug it and pet it and name it Fluffy.

Please don't. :v:

Young Freud posted:

Haha, I hate to bring up another analogy, but this is like getting the major media outlets not to talk about Washington D.C.. Or, perhaps a better one, Goebbels suddenly stops talking about the Russians outside of Berlin.

They need to stay in Damascus though. I want to see Baghdad Bob's cousin, Damascus Dave, denying rebels are taking the capital.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nenonen posted:

I wonder how the Assad clan reacts to a relative's death.

also,

Yes, Seryozha. That's why it's being proposed. :allears:

The last thing Putin wants to do right now is have his people see him as open to revolution against brutal governments. :commissar:

Brown Moses posted:

I wonder how Iran will react to this sudden turn of events. Any think there's a chance of military intervention from Iran?

Iran (openly) moving their military in to Syria would be pushing their luck and make sanctions against them just come that much bigger and faster. Plus the less military force they have at home, the less people they have to put down any potential uprising like a resurgence of the green movement.

If I were an Alawite in Syria I'd have probably fled the country by now because if the rebels don't take out their anger via some ethnic cleansing I'll be shocked as it'd mean those forces have all managed to temper their previous hatred towards the group.

Capt Murphy posted:

I love Western hypocrisy regarding democracy in the Arab world. Yes I realize you voted for him, but you voted for the wrong guy.

You should probably realize that this is the same mindset the western world has for its own elections.

McDowell posted:

Maybe the rumors of mass defections were from an order to use chemical weapons on the people?

If that were true we'd have heard about it by now as soldiers would've been very vocal on something of that scale. If you're given an order that makes you go from supporting a guy ordering you to shoot your own citizens, to defecting, you are going to tell people why.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Valley Troll posted:

I could only get the cashed version of this for some reason, but apparently according to Syrian state media all those videos that Brown Moses and others have been posting were all produced in Qatar:

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://sana.sy/eng/22/2012/07/19/432383.htm[/url]

Consider yourselves duped

This story is bogus, everyone knows that Qatar outsourced to the guys that faked the moon landing. :downs:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jut posted:

That's some Tom Clancy poo poo there. Israel are not nuking anyone. *IF* Hez used chemical weapons, a few people would die, and Israel would use conventional arms against Lebanon. That's it.

It's also not exactly safe to nuke an area right next to your own country.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ultras Lazio posted:

Today, I am going to be with with 2 muslims from Palestina, 2 good business contacts that came visit me about a franchise. We will do so, guests of mine, in an Italian restaurant.
I will wish them Ramadan Mubarak because THEY are muslims. They will not wish me the same because polite as they are, world travellers as they are, businessmen as they are, they know how to respect cultural differences. I bet you a million pennies they will wish me Buon Appetito.

Meaning, you and the likes of you talk a lot of poopoo without having the faintest idea. Personally, I pity you when I actually don't straight out laugh at you.

Political juveniles, abandon your sofas and travel, it will do you good.

I'm glad I don't get all bent out of shape like you do when jewish friends wish me a happy Chanukah. :jerkbag:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

e: ^^^^^ In war you'll do what you have to, not what's pretty, to win when you're the underdog. We know from history that the winners decide what happens next and who the war criminals are.

EBT posted:

That is exactly what is happening when the GOP call themselves the party of Lincoln.

They just mean that they're willing to suspend haebus corpus and arrest political opponents.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Anyone donating to that kickstarter has a pretty good chance they're effectively paying for someone to get themselves killed.

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a new aircraft video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kvr9O5zmPk
Is it me or is it not even armed?

I haven't seen anything in the videos that look like weapons and I doubt they're rigged with a gun inside them like a Warthog.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Why did you link a video of some hap..:stare:

The gently caress is wrong with people? If you aren't behind 1/4" (or more) of steel you shouldn't be going near that stuff. hell even a sheet of steel that thick wouldn't be good enough in some cases.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Young Freud posted:

That's so true these days as well. I was originally going to leave it at "may have learned", then I remembered I have an uncle who was a Marine aircraft mechanic and did a lot of contracting to Kuwait, Tunisia, and Saudi Arabia. He said that Tunisia was pretty cool and the people treated each other fairly swell, but in Kuwait and SA, the reason they used contractors was because they couldn't trust their own people to do it. And I don't think he was talking about competence, I pretty much inferred he was talking about loyalty.

You hear this a lot about Dubai, where they import workers from Pakistan because their own people might do poo poo like form unions and go on strike and other democratic forms of expression. But, with underpaid Pakistanis, there's always more of them and they're always hungry.

Even still, you have incidents like the Grand Mosque seizure where terrorists who took the Grand Mosque in Mecca were supplied by Saudi National Guard members and there's rumors that it was a power play by a Saudi prince.

It's also easier for them to just deport/disappear foreign labor they bring in. you don't want to do what they said? Ok, enjoy your trip back home. Don't worry, they'll drive you 50 miles out of the city to get you started.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Caliph206 posted:

NATO has no stomach for war, Afghanistan has proven that.

NATO can provide air support and weapons and training, thats it.

NATO can barely provide air support against a third rate military if the US isn't involved, as seen in Libya.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Uglycat, is that you?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm sure attacks on the embassies taking place today is a pure coincidence, right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's not his film, he just helped promote t due to the popularity he got for being a racist piece of poo poo that Jesus himself would condemn. That said, I would happily pay for the plane tickets that send Terry Jones and the film's creator to Libya or Egypt.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AllanGordon posted:

They were before they went out of their way to make everything they leaked be political.

Also rip vilerat.

Still have no idea what Romney is doing. First Paul Ryan and now this? Guess he's decided to just swing for the fences till November.

Link to what insane thing Romney's doing? Or do you mean his action of politicizing before his emotional response program activates?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Never have I wanted to see a man become a modern-day Job so badly as I do right now.

Please tell me this picture's getting plastered everywhere, even though most of his supporters won't care.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

The attacks literally happening on a 9/11 is about as close as I as an agnostic come to believe in a divine signal from above.

If we and they won't take a moment to reflect on the coincidence and what we should know by now, just don't bother arguing with them.

Unless you're in a hole beneath an an AQ base there's nothing 'above' about it. Doing an attack on 9/11 would make it a more effective thing due to the previous attack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

rudatron posted:

This is basically on par with 9/11 conspiracy theories. For one, noted anti-islam...thing named Terry Jones has associated himself with it. So unless you want to call him a 'psy-ops plant',.
The term you're looking for is Useful Idiot (or racist rear end in a top hat in this case).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shame that the Green Revolution hadn't been a year later (or Arab Spring a year earlier) since it might've done better. :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

brapbrapbrap posted:

Not being funny or anything but do we really even need embassies in these poo poo countries? Leave them be until they A) sort themselves out or B) wipe themselves out. If they continue to riot etc then at least they're just loving up their own countries rather than affecting any of us.

Also people who are in UK/Australia/France etc who hate their "host" country, protest against soldiers, want Islamic law etc should either be A) hosed off back where they came from or B) imprisoned for life if they were born in those countries. Maybe a bit extreme but thinking purely logically, what benefit do these people have to our society? What good is coming out of letting these people live here exactly? The sooner we clamp down on this poo poo the better IMO and btw I'm not saying ALL Muslims aren't welcome here, just the crazy ones that hate the West etc - those who just want to live peacefully side by side with everyone else are totally welcome IMO I just don't understand why we continue to tolerate the crazies. One way or the other, just them gently caress them off out of Western society - why is nobody willing to do this? I genuinely don't get it.

Hell yeah man, we can easily show how much better we are by kicking out the people that don't like the way things are being run. gently caress that whole democracy thing where they could try to change it to something you might not like, even if they have as much chance at doing so as Ron Paul has to be president next year.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Those human rights? Eh. Not for us. Muslim children have no need of a right not to be raped.

What an absolute fucker.

If he's saying human rights might not fit for Muslims doesn't he realize he's inadvertently(?) saying Muslims aren't people? :psyduck:

Not that anyone who wants to marry(and rape) 9 year old girls is likely fit to live any civilized society.

flatbus posted:

Is this a valid concern for China? China (and Russia) is a populous country with strong defensive capabilities, something that the US can't just shock and awe in a month like it did with post-sanctions Iraq. I imagine it doesn't live in fear of foreign intervention - if someone went to war with China they would precipitate WWIII. I'm thinking that China wants to do the first half of what you said, i.e. prevent legitimization of foreign intervention, in order to take away a favorite tool of Western influence. I doubt fear of invasion is a reason.

China isn't worried about shock and aw because it would result in a billion patriotic fanatics. China's worried about a couple hundred million impoverished citizens rising up and throwing the country in to chaos because of how utterly terrible their lives have been made by being made in to slave laborers and living in toxic hellholes.

They don't try to pretend things like Tienanmen Square didn't happen because they're worried about The West making a fuss over it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is there really any chance of Russia or China declaring war on anyone if this escalates? What the hell does Syria represent that's so drat important they'd so severely strain ties with the west and enter a war I don't think they could win without saying "gently caress this," overturning the board and launching Nuclear Apocolypse?

Putin might lose some of his macho-cred if Assad falls but it wouldn't be enough to hurt his position of power at home so he's not going to risk turning the ME in to a giant warzone.

China only cares because they don't want to give any reason for their own repression to get acted on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Volkerball posted:

^^^^ I hope it's the American drone that Iran captured.

It won't be. That drone is too valuable for Iran to just throw it away like that. If anything it'd be a drone made using information they've gotten from reverse-engineering the drone they captured.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Crasscrab posted:

It was actually Libyans that came to see what was going on that found him. They ran into the still burning consulate and dragged him out, taking him to a nearby hospital where he died of his injuries. There's actually a video of him being taken out of the building and it was initially believed by the crowd that he was alive.

Is this the same video that some sites (like Drudge) had listed as them parading his body like a trophy, or however they worded it at the time?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

LOL its really no surprise that Monsanto invests in Syria.

If Monsanto's CEO doesn't live on a tropical island with a Volcano and/or skull-shaped rockface it's only because he's still shopping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SilentD posted:

No, it's much different.

That spy plane wasn't shot at. The Chinese plane was loving with them (flying to close and cutting into the air the needed) and an accident happened. That sort of screw ballery is fairly common among military jets. It's not considered hostile, it's just the two sides loving with each other. We used to do it with the Russians all the drat time and we still do it with the Chinese.

The Iranians shot at the drone. That's hostile and not everyday military rival asshattery.

The Chinese also disassembled the plane before returning it didn't they? Unless it was being done with US personnel there they got plenty of information about the plane's systems for their own use.

Just as Iran's going to make full use of the US Drone they got, regardless of it being hijacked or a malfunction.

• Locked thread