Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

It should go away definitely by the time you have the baby. ;) I wouldn't be concerned.

I guess the only reason in caught me off guard is because I've only actually vomited maybe three times. I wasn't even nauseous, it was just like "oh holy hell that reeks hork hork hork". I know I'm full of dumb questions in this thread. It's my first time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I puked once during pregnancy, and it was from a stinky guy with alcohol breath covered by toothpaste smell. Strong smells made me dry heave sometimes too.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Ooo, yeah. Smell has become my superpower. I'm only 6ish weeks and I swear, I can smell everything within a 5 mile radius. The family on the first floor of our building (we're on the 3rd) burned popcorn the other night and I CAN STILL SMELL IT.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Alterian posted:

Hey, just so you know, sort of like cats, you shouldn't clean out chicken waste while you're pregnant. Get your significant other to do it. :)

Whoops, another thing I didn't know with my last pregnancy!

Welp, I guess I'm back - period was late and I was nauseous all the time so I took a test to confirm what I already knew. Number two is on the way!

Just had everyone over for Christopher's first birthday and it would have been great to announce it, but I'm going to wait until 16 weeks again, seems wisest.

Re: vitamin talk. I love the gummy vitamins. I take Tums before them to keep them from upsetting my stomach and a slow-release iron tab when I remember.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I feel super lucky, I've barfed all of one time while pregnant, and that's because I gagged on a huge vitamin on a full stomach. I had a period of like a week where I'd get queasy if my stomach was even a little less than totally full, but it passed quickly. I had other issues though, so I guess it all balances out.

Seizure Sloth
Dec 28, 2006

The electroshock seizure of the sloth consists of weak extension followed by tonic flexion and terminal clonus.

Ceridwen posted:

Any particular reason you wouldn't just opt for an early ultrasound? There is no way an age discrepancy that large would have been missed on a first trimester ultrasound and it would allow you to know how far post-dates you are. The idea of letting the baby just wait until it's ready to come is nice and all, until you're one of the moms whose baby dies before birth (which yes, is a very real risk when you start to go over 41 weeks). There are very real reasons that doctors worry about letting you go late.

I had an ultrasound done at 10 weeks as well as 19 weeks and during each one they just assumed the baby was on target. I had the third ultrasound done around 35 weeks when they felt she wasn't growing enough, despite her high energy level. After that, they performed a stress test at each appointment to keep an eye on her. Her heart rate was always fine and she moved an average of 20 times or more in a 15 minute span. She was 20" and weighed 6 lbs. 15 oz. at birth and never showed any distress when I was given the pitocin or the epidural. I just agreed to the induction because I was getting a bit tired of being pregnant and I just wanted to see my daughter already.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

Twatty Seahag posted:

I puked once during pregnancy, and it was from a stinky guy with alcohol breath covered by toothpaste smell. Strong smells made me dry heave sometimes too.

I missed my MIL's face by a couple of seconds. I told her not to wear perfume, but she didn't want to change her habits just to make me happy (she said that). She opened the door of the room she'd been spending a couple of hours in an I had to run and puke.

Funny thing is that puking from strong smells would leave me sick for half a day. Did not have too bad morning sickness other than that, the puke and go (and then I was fine), and the lingering nausea (slight nausea that I would forget in a couple of hours, except at boring meetings).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hopefully this still stays in the cutoff for this thread. Got a 6 day old baby girl, and hospital told us she had a "heart shaped tongue", which sounds like another way of saying "tongue tied". They were concerned about it at the hospital, but first couple days she did a great job latching and feeding, but as milk has started to come in, she can't seem to hold a latch very well.

We're waiting to hear back from the pediatrician and lactaction folks about getting an appointment, but sounds like some minor mouth snipping might be a solution. Anyone else had a kid with this condition?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I just wanted to remind everyone that this is pregnancy through 3 months so don't worry :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Get it snipped! Even with a painless latch, the baby may not be getting enough hind milk and it may cause weight gain issues. Call your ped for an ENT referral ASAP.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
I have been learning tons from reading this thread and having questions answered. So first off, thank you for helping me and my wife out.

We are coming up on 40 weeks and couldn't be happier with the whole scare that she was told she would give birth before 36 weeks. However now the midwife is talking about getting induced if she goes to 41 weeks. Is this something we should consider?

My wife has been walking 4 miles a day and doing other activities to help her body get ready and try to go into labor naturally. A week ago she had strong contractions about 12 minutes apart for the whole day.

Any tips from experienced dads to be of help to my wife?

Oh, is there anything we can do to ensure we don't get our child mixed up in the hospital? I am worried that our baby will be put in the room and then we will have the wrong child brought back to us. Wife says I'm being too paranoid, but...it could happen.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Fixit posted:

Wife says I'm being too paranoid, but...it could happen.

Unless you're going to the most underfunded hospital on the planet, it isn't going to happen. Generally your baby will immediately be given an ID bracelet that matches your wife's, complete with your wife's name an a number that matches your wife's as well.

Also, most hospitals are so big on bonding (for breast feeding) that they WANT your baby with you 24/7, and you can request to be at any procedures that require your baby to leave your bedside.

If you need reassurance, most hospitals will have a virtual tour and/or guidelines and policies for their birthing unit that will show you their procedures regarding many common concerns.

And lastly, once you see your kid once, you'll never forget their face. In the event of a highly unlikely mixup, you'd probably know right away. :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Read back a couple pages for a discussion on induction.

At my hospital, my husband, the baby and I all got armbands that matched up, in addition to the baby lo-jack ankle bracelet that would set off alarms if you got too close to the elevators or exit doors on the floor. You can also request that the baby not leave your room at all if there are no complications, and if there are, you can accompany the baby most of the time if your wife can't.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Yep, everyone gets their little ID bracelets right quick, so even if your baby does have to spend time out of your wife's room (say, in the NICU or something) no one's going to get lost.

Actually...okay, folks, question here. My daughter was in the NICU for her first week, and I went home before she did, so I never had her in my hospital room. Do the nurses wake you up for feeding if you somehow sleep through a crying baby? If you're recovering from a C-section and mobility is an issue, are they able to keep the baby in reach? Post-C-section, do they keep the baby in the nursery room till the mom is out of the recovery room, or...? I'm suddenly realizing that we just never had the baby-in-my-hospital-room experience when my daughter was born. I was off in my room and I'd hobble over to the NICU to see her. :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In our case, we had the option of keeping the baby in the room at night, or they'd take her to the nursery for the night and bring her back when it was time for her to feed. Even though at first, Eve being our first baby, we thought there was no way we'd let her out of our sight, we actually opted to use the nursery at night and I'm so glad we did. We'd just drop her off whenever we were ready to go to bed, and at some point during the night, we'd get a knock at the door from a nurse with our baby, we'd feed her, and then send her back and sleep some more. If you have such an option, don't be afraid to use it, you'll need the sleep.

Otherwise, she spent all her time with us in our room, but of course the nursery was always an option.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Ah, that makes sense. I think they mentioned the whole night-nursery option on the hospital's birth center page, now that you mention it. Looking back on that first 12 hours after my daughter was born, I could barely open my eyes when nurses came in to check on me, and the thought of being totally in charge of a baby during that spell is frankly a little alarming.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
The hospital that I gave birth at actively preferred that you not send your baby to the nursery and reserved the right to say no if they had any sick babies to take care of. I didn't have a c-section, but I still couldn't really reach into the baby bucket thing comfortably the first night after I had him. I either asked a nurse to help or poked my husband to hand him to me and we did a little illegal co-sleeping in the hospital because I just didn't want him to be so far away from me.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I hardly slept when I was in the hospital and any little snuffle or snort he made roused me out of the little sleep I did have. I had a c-section, and my husband stayed with me the whole time, so he got up and got the baby for me when he needed to eat and did all the diaper changes and such. The first 24 hours or so, I was so doped up I was afraid to get up, so I have no idea how I would have managed it without in room help.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I just don't know how much my husband is going to be able to help overnight. My mom is coming up to help take care of our daughter, but I think I'd rather my husband also at least go home at night to help put her to bed and stuff, so the poor kidlet isn't completely losing her whole world to the NEW BABY madness.

Well, we'll muddle through, of course. I appreciate hearing how the rest of you managed.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Fixit posted:

Any tips from experienced dads to be of help to my wife?

Dad to be here, so I'm not experienced, but I posted almost your same question on the last page. We talked to the doctor today which is 41 weeks. The doctor fit us in today even though we weren't scheduled for an appointment and we talked some. Then the doctor stripped my wife's membranes. I had asked about that on the last visit as something to try before induction.

We also discussed "bishop score" which the thread told me about. We didn't cancel our hospital appointment. So the current plan is to go to the hospital this evening and the doctor will come over after office hours and use Prepidil gel to help soften the cervix. We will spend the night in the hospital and in the morning the doctor will come in and ask if we would like to induce with Pitocin.

Wife has been at 3 centimeters for a week now and today is having her strongest contractions so far. Our doula said to keep doing whatever it is that is causing them and don't just sit around resting. So that's what we're doing today and hopefully all our worry of induction at 41 weeks is much ado about nothing.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Maneki Neko posted:

We're waiting to hear back from the pediatrician and lactaction folks about getting an appointment, but sounds like some minor mouth snipping might be a solution. Anyone else had a kid with this condition?

We had it done. Get it done ASAP if it's a concern. Request a referral to an ENT from your ped. The procedure took about 5 minutes. Our son (who was 4 weeks at the time) was more upset with his head being held still than the actual snip. There is little to no bleeding and he nursed immediately afterwards. Keep in mind that it can also take up to 2 weeks for them to be able to fully extend their tongue properly.

Make sure they do it IN OFFICE. Whatever you do, do not let them try to convince you to put your baby to sleep to get it done. My first ENT referral tried to do this which was why it took us a little longer to find another because I said hell no.

Chickalicious posted:

Get it snipped! Even with a painless latch, the baby may not be getting enough hind milk and it may cause weight gain issues. Call your ped for an ENT referral ASAP.

This was exactly what happened with us and my son was very close to a "failure to thrive" diagnosis. He had plenty of wet diapers, as well, so it came as a huge shock when I found out he'd gained NOTHING his first 2 weeks out of the hospital.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 22, 2012

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Chickalicious posted:

Read back a couple pages for a discussion on induction.

At my hospital, my husband, the baby and I all got armbands that matched up, in addition to the baby lo-jack ankle bracelet that would set off alarms if you got too close to the elevators or exit doors on the floor. You can also request that the baby not leave your room at all if there are no complications, and if there are, you can accompany the baby most of the time if your wife can't.

My apologies, I will take a look at the past few pages and read them again. Been keeping up on my phone between classes/work/interviews. Ok, that makes me feel better. We did go to an orientation at the hospital but I don't remember any mention of the bracelets. They probably did but i was reading the pamplets on directions and where wife will be when I come running in.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Yep, everyone gets their little ID bracelets right quick, so even if your baby does have to spend time out of your wife's room (say, in the NICU or something) no one's going to get lost.

Actually...okay, folks, question here. My daughter was in the NICU for her first week, and I went home before she did, so I never had her in my hospital room. Do the nurses wake you up for feeding if you somehow sleep through a crying baby? If you're recovering from a C-section and mobility is an issue, are they able to keep the baby in reach? Post-C-section, do they keep the baby in the nursery room till the mom is out of the recovery room, or...? I'm suddenly realizing that we just never had the baby-in-my-hospital-room experience when my daughter was born. I was off in my room and I'd hobble over to the NICU to see her. :ohdear:

The hospital I was at is almost militant about keeping the baby in the room, but the nurse the first night of Ben's life offered to take him to the nursery for a little bit so I let her.

I also felt like my baby cried a lot while we were in the hospital because I never really heard anyone else's cry and I know they were full while we were there. No nurse ever came in and checked on us because of the crying and I was rarely helped with getting Ben to my lap after my c-section. I probably moved around way more than I should have and did things I shouldn't have like not using the lift on the bed to help me more in getting up and down. I know that I should have asked for help more because I also know that they would have been happy to help because the nurses and lactation consultants were AMAZING. Don't be afraid to ask for any help you need- I wish I'd have asked for more. (Especially to be taught how to clip his nails because they already needed it when he was born and I haven't had the guts to try it yet...)

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I had a c-section and couldn't reach Ben (should I call him Awesome Ben to differentiate?) from my bed. I did have my husband with me but I tried to let him sleep as much as possible. I think I slept maybe 4 hours the 3 days I was there. The nurses would have taken him to the nursery if I had asked, but I wanted to be able to learn his feeding cues and figure him out before leaving. You can just push your nurse call button and they will do whatever you ask them to, like hand him to you to feed and put him back into bed for you.

Ben cried a lot and we had trouble figuring out how to make him happy, but the nurses never bothered us even if he was crying for 10+ minutes. I guess they just assumed we were doing what we could, and we'd ask for help if we needed it. It was very nice of them not to just barge in and take control while we were learning the ropes.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 21, 2017

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

We do Costco's Kirkland brand diapers and wipes and don't have any problems with them, and Pampers Babydry at night (which we only started when he got a little older and stopped pooping in his sleep). You'll find a bunch of different answers because babies' little thighs and butts are all shaped differently, so you might have to go with a different brand if the cheapest doesn't work out for you.

edit: If you're having a shower, the diaper raffle was a huge help for us. Of course, whether or not that's rude or commonplace depends on culture and location!

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I'm not in the US but the hospital I had Soren in had ID brackets on both our wrists and ankles, as well as a sticker on his back which essentially said "Property of Iwik." with our ID numbers and stuff.. the thing seriously took a week to come off once we were home. It was stuck fast.

Also you had the baby right beside your bed - as long as you could sit, you could grab them.
I had a spinal block with my c-section, so the effects wore off fairly soon after getting back to the ward. I was pretty mobile from the waist up shortly afterward and was up having a shower within the day.
The midwives were in doing checkups every hour or so, so there is no way you could miss a crying baby, purely because they woke you up doing blood pressure & temperature readings all the time. And if you were having problems with feeding, they were all trained as consultants and could help. It was brilliant.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

SassySally posted:

Don't be afraid to ask for any help you need- I wish I'd have asked for more. (Especially to be taught how to clip his nails because they already needed it when he was born and I haven't had the guts to try it yet...)

The hospital told us not to clip nails at all for the first month or two. They said to use a nail file instead, which really didn't work at all since baby nails are like paper.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I use baby nail clippers and do it while he's nursing if he is super relaxed, or when he's asleep. You clip the sides at an angle and then clip the middle point.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We used clippers from the beginning, and she'll sit quietly and let me do it now at almost 2. We never had any issues.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

At first his little nails were really sharp but still kind of attached to the skin. I tried filing for a month or so, but it ended up being more work than clipping because of his soft newborn nails and because it takes so much longer and you have to hold them still the whole time. Clipping's not so bad while nursing!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Awesome Kristin posted:

I use baby nail clippers and do it while he's nursing if he is super relaxed, or when he's asleep. You clip the sides at an angle and then clip the middle point.

I do the same thing, but both the hospital and my pediatrician told me not to. I think it's probably one of those things like where they always tell you not to use q-tips to clean your ear canal, but everyone does anyway.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We were told to use those little baby nail scissors instead of clippers, and they've worked great with no mistakes.

e: these ones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DFO57M/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Lullabee posted:

So, seeing as I'm 24 weeks, and getting to the point where even if little man comes now, he'll more than likely survive - I've been thinking about diapers and where the cheapest is. I know everyone automatically goes 'AMAZON!' at this question, but honestly, is it really? Amazon prime is 80$ a year, which is what I'll be charged after the first 3 free months. The diapers don't seem cheaper on amazon than what the local Sam's Club offers, even with the 20% off deal. I guess it's more of a personal deal with whether or not you want to drive to the store to get them? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are. We are obviously using disposables.

Parent's choice at Wal-Mart are a great cheap brand, do NOT get the Target store brand though, they're cheaper but they leak like a poop waterfall. Also don't buy the super jumbo box until the baby is a month old, every woman I know that did still has half a crate of diapers that no longer fit.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

I do the same thing, but both the hospital and my pediatrician told me not to. I think it's probably one of those things like where they always tell you not to use q-tips to clean your ear canal, but everyone does anyway.

I think this is a personal preference thing that varies by practitioner. Mine was happy for me to use clippers as long as we remembered that toenails need to be cut straight across. I can't think of any health reasons to not use clippers.

edit: maybe they were thinking of adult nail clippers.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stairs posted:

Parent's choice at Wal-Mart are a great cheap brand, do NOT get the Target store brand though, they're cheaper but they leak like a poop waterfall. Also don't buy the super jumbo box until the baby is a month old, every woman I know that did still has half a crate of diapers that no longer fit.

Really? I think the Target disposables are the best available. I think it's subjective to the type of wetter your kid is.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Disposable diapers fit different babies differently. My first son leaked out of Pampers and so he wore Huggies. My second son leaked out of Huggies so he wore Pampers. My daughter wears Huggies.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

I think this is a personal preference thing that varies by practitioner. Mine was happy for me to use clippers as long as we remembered that toenails need to be cut straight across. I can't think of any health reasons to not use clippers.

edit: maybe they were thinking of adult nail clippers.

No, the hospital even had it on one of the take-information sheets. They basically said that babies' nails are bonded to the skin underneath and that the skin kind of grows outward more than it does for adults, so that clipping the nails risks cutting into that skin, therefore creating a wound and a possible infection.

Like I said, I did it anyway, I was just really careful. And when I asked them to do it at the hospital for me, they wouldn't because they said you should only file them.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

bamthrilla posted:

Really? I think the Target disposables are the best available. I think it's subjective to the type of wetter your kid is.

Maybe my kids all had funny butts then, because whenever I used them they held the wet easily, but the poop just shot out the back. Plus they are ugly as sin. Luvs are the only diapers I've seen that are uglier (and yet Luvs work great for us.) Baby tushies are so complicated.

Also I have to file Eowyn's nails because I accidentaly cut a divot in her skin with clippers. Oh God that freaked me out so bad.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Stairs posted:

Maybe my kids all had funny butts then, because whenever I used them they held the wet easily, but the poop just shot out the back. Plus they are ugly as sin. Luvs are the only diapers I've seen that are uglier (and yet Luvs work great for us.) Baby tushies are so complicated.

Also I have to file Eowyn's nails because I accidentaly cut a divot in her skin with clippers. Oh God that freaked me out so bad.

Does it really matter what the nappy looks like? It is there to catch pee and poo. As long as it does what it is intended to do then that is fine by me! For me here in the uk tesco's own brand nappies worked the best for us.

And as for baby nails. Our hospital here advises you to bite them off when they are tiny babies and to use baby nail scissors after that.