Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We had an internal ultrasound due to my wives history with an ectopic and a couple of miscarriages. It’s super early as my wife had a six week period the last few cycles but the doctor found a heartbeat and a small little thing hanging out in there. It’s too early to be excited considering our past but this is the furthest we’ve got without any bleeding happening or something like that. Pretty cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Alterian posted:

My glucose test is next week. They gave me the drink to drink at a specific time at home before my appointment. I don't understand how people have a problem with how it tastes. Would I drink it on my own? No. It just tastes like someone made Hi-C with too much powder in my opinion.

I didn’t think it tasted that bad, but drinking that volume of something that sweet in that short amount of time made me a little sick to my stomach. But if you throw it up they make you drink it again so I just powered through.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

SquirrelFace posted:

I didn’t think it tasted that bad, but drinking that volume of something that sweet in that short amount of time made me a little sick to my stomach. But if you throw it up they make you drink it again so I just powered through.

This.

If you're not a fan of sweets, chugging flat Sunkist isn't a ton of fun by the end of the bottle. Plus the queasiness.

Edit: talking about the 3 hour drink, the 100 grams of sugar one. The 1 hour/50g wasn't bad at all

2DEG fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 3, 2018

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
The 1hr made me feel so awful I ended up going to a sauna because I felt like I’d been poisoned and needed to sweat it out. I also drank nearly a gallon of water that afternoon, ate a family-sized fried chicken dinner, and went to bed at seven.

YMMV. I didn’t have GD though.

E: I didn’t stay in the sauna for more than sixty seconds. I was pregnant enough to sweat like a banana slug for the next hour anyway.

BlueCat
Nov 3, 2005
I Demand Satisfaction!
I had mine this week too, just heard this afternoon that I passed.

Being a confirmed needle hater (and finding it horrible having to have two tests in two hours really anxiety inducing), I am so relieved I don't have the next few months filled with needley based horrors!

I had heard such varying takes on the drink, from it being delicious all the way to being hard to not throw up. I found it a bit sickly, but manageable.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

So even though the Panorama failed for me twice last pregnancy, it worked this time and I was shocked to get results in a week! Guess inconclusive results are pregnancy-specific and not host-specific. All looks good and it’s another boy. Lord help me.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I know it’s been discussed but I can’t find it. What’s the #1 book you would recommend for pregnancy/birth/newborns. “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” is popular, but what was your favorite?

I am on my last BC patch. This time next week I will be tracking stuff. Holy moly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayo clinic book on pregnancy, what to expect is kinda bad.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

A 3x mom with a fresh 8-week old just recommended Baby 411 to my wife and I for our first when we asked the same question but I’d also be interested in other suggestions.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I found the Mayo Clinic one really dry and boring. I preferred Expecting 411 and enjoyed Baby 411. Toddler 411 is a piece of garbage.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
I know it’s been recommended here before, but I really liked “Expecting Better.” The author takes a scientific approach to pregnancy restrictions and I learned a ton. Also, didn’t feel guilty about having a cup of coffee while pregnant afterwards which was a life saver.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Yeah, I pretty much settled on one mug of coffee in the morning.

The doctor gave me the glucose drink to drink at home today before I go in. Still just tastes like extra strong orange hi-c to me. I probably would have loved it as a kid.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have lurked this thread for the last year while my Wife and I were trying to conceive. 13 months later we have 2 positive and 1 negative test! I'm so excited but really loving nervous. My Wife and I are going on Saturday to Planned Parenthood to get a blood test and confirm.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Placenta update: aside from one spot that needs to be monitored (heading toward a vessel and an ovary), the rest of the placenta is staying more or less where it was when they diagnosed me with incretia. The high-risk obstetrician doesn't think I will need bladder surgery but a urologist will most likely be there anyway to be on the safe side. At this point we will see how close to 36 weeks I can get without bleeding. It was much more reassuring speaking with her and going over the process of the surgery than with the obstetrician at my last appointment who more or less panicked.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I have lurked this thread for the last year while my Wife and I were trying to conceive. 13 months later we have 2 positive and 1 negative test! I'm so excited but really loving nervous. My Wife and I are going on Saturday to Planned Parenthood to get a blood test and confirm.

Good luck!! Fellow lurker hoping for good news soon

alnilam fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 11, 2018

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So we had a follow up ultrasound, they think my wife ovulated late but they found a little him or her in there, in the right spot, with a heartbeat.

Obviously the 12 week rule is in our mind, I wanted to see what other experiences were. Since we’ve had an ectopic and two miscarriages before, the hospital has been going nuts on this one. Blood tests to confirm hcg levels, an internal ultrasound, and now a normal one. They reckon it’s just on 8 weeks now due to all that.

The doctor gave us the photo and made a joke about sharing it to Instagram and I said oh maybe wait until 12 weeks, she said something to the effect of most of the problems they happen before 12 weeks would have already shown themselves by now. Is this a thing?

Anyway this is the furthest we’ve gotten with good levels, no bleeding etc. excited now!

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

teacup posted:

So we had a follow up ultrasound, they think my wife ovulated late but they found a little him or her in there, in the right spot, with a heartbeat.

Obviously the 12 week rule is in our mind, I wanted to see what other experiences were. Since we’ve had an ectopic and two miscarriages before, the hospital has been going nuts on this one. Blood tests to confirm hcg levels, an internal ultrasound, and now a normal one. They reckon it’s just on 8 weeks now due to all that.

The doctor gave us the photo and made a joke about sharing it to Instagram and I said oh maybe wait until 12 weeks, she said something to the effect of most of the problems they happen before 12 weeks would have already shown themselves by now. Is this a thing?

Anyway this is the furthest we’ve gotten with good levels, no bleeding etc. excited now!

From what I’ve read/heard, if they can find a heartbeat the risk of miscarriage goes way down.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I think the risk of miscarriage goes down to 5% once the heartbeat is found. But there are also stories of miscarriages at 14 weeks so it’s really what you’re comfortable with. Personally I wouldn’t broadcast on social media until later but I would feel comfortable telling family and close friends because I would want their support if I did miscarry.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Thanks for that. About what we were thinking. Close family and friends only now- broadcasted later.

Now the planning begins!! I’ve picked up the book “the birth partner” and “brain rules for baby”, this might be a question for the next thread but any other recommended reading for first time parents?

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
This twin thing can gently caress all the way off. 27 weeks today and I'm bigger than I was at full term with my first. It's like the last week of pregnancy except I have three months of this poo poo left. Also it's too hot outside:argh:

I don't have a question or anything, I'm just here to complain.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I am also 27 weeks. Usually twins don't make it to the full 40 weeks though, right? So your suffering won't be another 13 weeks.

Season 2 of The Handmaids Tale has been well done, but watching it while pregnant is stressful and giving me very vivid bad dreams.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Public Serpent posted:

This twin thing can gently caress all the way off. 27 weeks today and I'm bigger than I was at full term with my first. It's like the last week of pregnancy except I have three months of this poo poo left. Also it's too hot outside:argh:

Congrats on twins! I'm a twin and my wife is a twin so I'm hoping for Twins. She told me to gently caress off :-P

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
So I need to vent.

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and found out I got into graduate school. So far, the reaction to the news has been pretty mediocre. Everyone was way more excited when I announced my pregnancy several weeks ago then they are about this. Even my mom was subdued and she knows this has been my dream for years.

It kind of bums me out. I now feel like an incubator and the only thing I'm good for as a woman is popping out babies. Did anyone else feel like this while pregnant? Anyone else have something great happen while you were pregnant and you were disappointed that no one else was as excited as you?

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Public Serpent posted:

My wife made it to 37 +5 with ours and it was brutal. People were commenting that she was ready to pop, like, 8 weeks out. Get yourself a pair of compression socks if you haven't already. Also, if there is a pool/water near you, floating around really helped.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Alterian posted:

Season 2 of The Handmaids Tale has been well done, but watching it while pregnant is stressful and giving me very vivid bad dreams.

That’s good to know, I might have to wait until after birth to watch. I just hit a chipmunk while driving and am having intense emotional feelings about it.

But will Handmaid’s also keep me up at night during those middle of the night feeds? Last time I made the mistake of binge watching Stranger Things and was so terrified in the middle of the night when I was the only one awake.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Ebola Roulette posted:

It kind of bums me out. I now feel like an incubator and the only thing I'm good for as a woman is popping out babies. Did anyone else feel like this while pregnant? Anyone else have something great happen while you were pregnant and you were disappointed that no one else was as excited as you?

You are not alone. This, and other similar things, happened to me. I got numerous comments about how I'll stop working/work less once I have the baby as well as numerous questions about when we're going to have the NEXT baby (even BEFORE I gave birth). The worst offenders somehow combined the two together, with comments that ASSUMED we would be working on having the next baby ASAP, that we would of course want to try for a son and that I would definitely be the stay at home parent because I'm the woman.

I was probably fairly rude in my response (which ranged from a 10 minute rant about gender equality, a woman's right to work and the importance of modelling that for my daughter and not to mention that by the way, I actually have a passion for what I do because what I do is meaningful, thank you very much to a terse "not happening") but I did not feel guilty about this because in my opinion, anybody who made those comments/assumptions and asked those questions was being pretty rude themselves - and I don't care if they're older generation family members or family friends***.

You are worth more than your uterus. Do not be afraid to stand up for yourself.

*** though to be fair, in my calmer moments I suppose that they are more excited about the pregnancy thing because they are of a generation where they had "jobs" which they only did for the paycheck, not "careers" that gave them purpose and meaning in life.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Ebola Roulette posted:

So I need to vent.

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and found out I got into graduate school. So far, the reaction to the news has been pretty mediocre. Everyone was way more excited when I announced my pregnancy several weeks ago then they are about this. Even my mom was subdued and she knows this has been my dream for years.

Oh yes this 100x.
With my ex husband's family once I had a baby it was like they expected me to go with it as a career. They thought I should give up my dreams to run my nail polish/jewelry business and not go back to college when I was accepted while pregnant. They were so indifferent to me being anything but a baby factory.

So I did give it all up, and 14 years post divorce I'm only just getting back in the swing and doing what I want.

What I'm saying is gently caress anyone and their indifference about what *you* want to do. Be overjoyed for yourself and don't listen to a bunch of people who don't own your dreams or your uterus!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Ebola Roulette posted:

So I need to vent.

Congrats on both aspects. A good friend who started grad school at the same time as I did had her advisor hint to her it was more important to get pregnant than do her PhD work. This was in the marine sciences which at my school was male dominated.

I had the strangest dream last night that my wife had given birth to septuplets. No idea where that came from.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Leng posted:

*** though to be fair, in my calmer moments I suppose that they are more excited about the pregnancy thing because they are of a generation where they had "jobs" which they only did for the paycheck, not "careers" that gave them purpose and meaning in life.

But also to be fair, not everyone is lucky enough to have a career that gives them purpose and meaning in life. A lot of people in our current generation also have jobs that pay the bills.
Might be a sensitive topic for me because I struggled to find my footing in the working world whereas I have never felt more purposeful than as a stay at home mom. But I still consider myself a feminist as that was 100% my choice and not just what I'm "supposed" to do -- and my goal is to raise my sons to be sensitive feminist men.

But yes people will say all sorts of rude things to you when you're pregnant/have kids, older people are especially bad at keeping their mouths shut.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Ebola Roulette posted:

So I need to vent.

Congrats on grad school! That's going to be awesome.

I have almost the opposite problem. In the past five months I've expanded my business massively, going from a solo practice to having three therapists now working under my banner. It has been immensely time consuming and difficult, and has left me feeling like I don't have any time or energy to be excited about being pregnant at all. The few times people have mentioned it I've been really delighted to talk about it, because every other waking moment is spent fretting about my career.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

It's both complicated and definitely not an appropriate topic for people to bring up cold. I will say that my views on careers and working and staying at home have changed since I had first one and then two kids. I was very gung-ho ra-ra I-don't-need-no-mat-leave when I was pregnant with my first. Sure that nothing could be more important than advancing my career. My views have definitely moderated since then.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Hi_Bears posted:

But also to be fair, not everyone is lucky enough to have a career that gives them purpose and meaning in life. A lot of people in our current generation also have jobs that pay the bills.
Might be a sensitive topic for me because I struggled to find my footing in the working world whereas I have never felt more purposeful than as a stay at home mom. But I still consider myself a feminist as that was 100% my choice and not just what I'm "supposed" to do -- and my goal is to raise my sons to be sensitive feminist men.

But yes people will say all sorts of rude things to you when you're pregnant/have kids, older people are especially bad at keeping their mouths shut.

See, I have no issue with stay-at-home moms, and I'm a feminist too. I have so much respect for women who find their purpose in life and achieve it. There's a difference between staying at home because that's where "you belong" vs staying at home because you want to.

I think you nailed it on the head. Many of the folks who have implied I should just stay-at-home or who aren't excited for me had jobs they didn't enjoy. I think they would have felt much more fulfilled being home with their kids.

Thanks for the congratulations, guys! :3: I'm also a little sad to hear that this isn't uncommon.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Stay at home, go to work, I don't care as long as its your own decision. I like going to work and I need that as a part of my life. I know personally if I HAD to stay at home, I would probably be very unhappy. I'm an introverted person and work is my adult interaction in my life. I know women can do and feel the way they want, but it bothers me when women seem to wrap up their ENTIRE personal identity in "being a mom". I think it comes from the same place as earlier people said where they feel like people are treating them like an incubator.

Speaking of people making mean comments from family...
My mom was skyping with my son the other day. We had him tell her what we were naming our new baby several weeks ago so she's known what it is. She called me over to ask me, with a disgusted look on her face, "You're not really going to name the baby that, are you?"

...and she wonders why we have a poor relationship. Its not even a weird name or a controversial name. We're planning to name him Oscar.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A fine name. Does she think the only Oscar ever is a puppet or something?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Alterian posted:

Stay at home, go to work, I don't care as long as its your own decision. I like going to work and I need that as a part of my life. I know personally if I HAD to stay at home, I would probably be very unhappy. I'm an introverted person and work is my adult interaction in my life. I know women can do and feel the way they want, but it bothers me when women seem to wrap up their ENTIRE personal identity in "being a mom". I think it comes from the same place as earlier people said where they feel like people are treating them like an incubator.

Speaking of people making mean comments from family...
My mom was skyping with my son the other day. We had him tell her what we were naming our new baby several weeks ago so she's known what it is. She called me over to ask me, with a disgusted look on her face, "You're not really going to name the baby that, are you?"

...and she wonders why we have a poor relationship. Its not even a weird name or a controversial name. We're planning to name him Oscar.

OMG we just had the same experience -- we decided to tell my in-laws the name we chose and mother in law's immediate reaction was "NO. he'll get made fun of. it's dumb" - honestly I don't even think she heard it correctly because it's not a made-up name. It's Finnian.
Then the next day we facetimed them and they had a friend over who asked what we were having and when I said another boy she goes "oh... another boy... I wanted a girl" - it actually made me really upset because I also desperately wanted a girl and have been processing my gender disappointment, but also why would you say that to someone?!

Re: "being a mom" as an entire personal identity, I agree and find those people obnoxious. I basically get together with all the other stay at home moms and complain about our kids/how hard being a mom is. We also get together when the kids are at preschool and talk about completely non-kid related things, so I'm happy to say I still get my adult interaction.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our other son's name is Jasper. She thinks this one should also be a J name or be some sort of stone. Its even a family name pulled from my dad's family tree. There's no weird family drama with this long deceased relative either. She's been critical of all of my life's choices. I'm pretty much use to it, but it still doesn't make it less grating.

Edit:

Hi_Bears posted:

OMG we just had the same experience -- we decided to tell my in-laws the name we chose and mother in law's immediate reaction was "NO. he'll get made fun of. it's dumb" - honestly I don't even think she heard it correctly because it's not a made-up name. It's Finnian.
Then the next day we facetimed them and they had a friend over who asked what we were having and when I said another boy she goes "oh... another boy... I wanted a girl" - it actually made me really upset because I also desperately wanted a girl and have been processing my gender disappointment, but also why would you say that to someone?!
I've had a similar experience. I really wanted the opportunity to raise a strong woman, but I guess that's not in the cards. Its one of the reasons I switched to being a college professor rather than working in my male-dominated industry. I wanted to be a role model and mentor to other up and coming women. It didn't help that my son really wanted a sister and was upset at first. We've been selling it to him how cool a brother will be. I think he's over it now.

Edit edit
vvv Our son is not good at keeping secrets and one of the ways we are trying to get him more excited about having a brother is personifying the concept more. When we were pregnant with him we didn't tell anyone what the gender was. I told my mom we didn't know, but we knew. She still harps on the fact she thinks we knew and wouldn't tell her.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 16, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

We just refused to tell anyone our name, including our 3 year old for our second. Even the nurses before he was born.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

We waited to tell our son until we knew the sex so that we could personify it more. Now he knows to say "what's in mommy's belly? baby brother!" but I don't think he understand what baby brother really means (he definitely doesn't know it will require sharing - we just play up the fact that he's gonna get a friend to play with). He's only 2 years 3 months so luckily he didn't even know to ask for a sister.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah that was about the age for ours, but he kept saying no I want a baby sister, and kept that up the entire pregnancy and even tried to convince preschool teachers the new baby was a girl a day after the birth. Kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
When my son was born my dad visibly stamped his foot and mumbled "dammit" in front of the nurses because it was a boy. It was really not what I needed after just having a kid. Also he bitched about his name sounding "silly".
It's Ethan. How the hell is Ethan a silly name?
Some people are just grumpy assholes. Name your kid what you want and it's only your kids opinion later that matters, and we have deed polls for if they think it's a silly name.