Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I don't know why people feel the need to be utter dickholes about names. My mother hates everything we love; I just told her that she's welcome to have another kid if she's so stuck on having a say on the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Welp, I'm pregnant. Very early still, only 3 weeks. I had a feeling last week that I might be, and we confirmed it yesterday! I'm going for a blood test later today and then will make a 7 week appointment with my OB/Gyn afterward. We are super scared and super excited; right this minute though I'm focusing on the pizza I plan to order for lunch. One day at a time, I guess. We're referring to it as El Jefe for the moment :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Dr says HCG and progesterone levels all look good, and we've scheduled our 7 week appointment for July 5. We'll have an ultrasound and hopefully get to hear the heartbeat :) I still feel nervous, but I think I'll feel much calmer once we get to hear the heartbeat and stuff. I have zero appetite and my boobs hurt like crazy, but all things considered I'm feeling pretty good. Let's see how long that lasts.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Lullabee posted:

It's only week 7 and this baby is already causing problems. Started bleeding this evening, went to the ER, they couldn't see anything in the ultra sound. But my hormone levels have doubled, so they said the babies fine. My question is: what is the best way to relax? Also, how do you occupy yourselves on bed rest? It's been two days and I'm already going crazy.

I'm 5-6 weeks and had some scary bleeding yesterday, dr told me to go home and stay in bed all weekend, and I'm to go see her on Monday. It's a bummer but I'm just hanging out and bingeing on tv. I'm hopeful all is ok since I haven't had any more bright red blood since the initial amount, and my boobs still hurt like crazy. Good luck!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Amelia Song posted:

Do you have any hobbies that you can do sitting in bed or on the couch? If not, maybe it's time to pick one up. You can learn how to knit or crochet from YouTube videos, for example!

I'm just gonna catch up on some DVDs and keep working on annotating my copy of The Golden Bough since I'm a nerd.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Acrolos posted:

So, my fiance and I are having a hard time deciding when to tell people. At this point, we've told no one. Is the consensus still to wait until 12 weeks, or is that fairly uncommon now. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of waiting or not?

We have our first meeting with the obgyn at 8 weeks, next Monday. If all is healthy, I would like to tell.. But we worry about a complicated pregnancy since both of us were told we couldn't conceive.

Congratulations! I told my parents right away, I knew I would need their support if anything happened and it was helpful to be able to discuss some worries and concerns about stuff. I also told my boss because, again, if I had any issues it's just easier to tell them what's going on and not having to be cryptic about it.

And it turns out I HAVE had some problems, lots of bleeding due to a subchorionic hematoma, and I've had to do bed rest for awhile. After lots of worry and stress, baby was consistently measuring ahead of what was expected so we went ahead and announced it at 9 weeks to everyone. My rationale was that it had been so stressful thus far and I needed to be able to enjoy this whole thing a bit. If we were to lose the baby, we'd tell close family and friends and let the rest figure it out.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Awesome Kristin posted:

Don't let her forget that for every appoint with the Nurse Practitioner or OB she will need to pee either before or after the appointment. At first I kept forgetting and had emptied my bladder before some of my appointments.

By the way, the beginning few months are basically ALL about waiting it out. There are few appointments, and the growth of the baby is super slow. It really picks up at around 25+ weeks though!

Yeah, the not emptying my bladder part has been rough because I feel like I have to pee constantly and I'm afraid of being stuck in traffic and having to pee :(

We had a lot of appointments because I had a lot of problems early on, but it looks like from 8 weeks onward we're going in every 4 weeks. Best of luck to you and your wife, Arcolos! Fingers crossed that all will be well :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Acrolos posted:

Update: We went to our 8 week appointment and they did perform the trans-vaginal ultrasound. Everything looked great, and we heard a heartbeat of 176.

I am notoriously emotionless (externally at least) when it comes to big events, but I am man enough to admit that I cried when I heard the heartbeat.

Still a long way to go, but today definitely made me feel better about things.

That's fantastic, congratulations!!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

sheri posted:

How long/many weeks pregnant were all of you before you started to "feel" pregnant?

I'm nearly 14 weeks and I still mostly don't feel pregnant. I feel tired and achy, and my boobs hurt and all that, but I haven't been like OMG MY BABY. I'm just starting to show a little bit, that might help.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

glug posted:

Hi folks. I know this is a terrible subject that typically ends up going wrong, so hopefully that can be avoided, and I'll be happy to drop the subject entirely if it's an issue. Any time a thread gets started directly on circumcision, it gets gassed. I was going to put this in parenting, but looks like 3 months is the dividing line, so here it goes..

Well, my son is due in about a month, and while I'm circumcised, I have been leaning towards not circumcising my son, in part because I haven't been able to find any compelling reasons to do so outside of sameness and convenience for cleaning, which I didn't find good enough.

Apparently the AAP is issuing an update to their statement on circumcision, and according to this article, they are finding that it definitely have health benefits, and now my confidence is waffled again.

article

This quote here is basically the crux of my problem:

Any parents recently go through this, and what was your thinking on this?

If our kid's a boy we're not circumcising because there's no compelling reason to do so. My husband is Jewish but doesn't like the idea of such an unnecessary procedure on an infant. I'm not rabidly anti, we're just choosing not to.

W

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

FengShuiNinja posted:

Some folks also have heartburn and nausea at the same time. Has anyone experienced that? If so, what did you choose to alleviate the heartburn?

I didn't barf at all but I felt queasy off and on from weeks 7-11 accompanied by heartburn and indigestion. I just started eating every time I felt that way and it helped immensely, usually just something like saltines with cream cheese or a pickle.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Hey is it kosher to dye my hair? I'm 16 weeks on Friday and my roots look like poo poo.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Bank posted:

Another thing is the hospital we were at tried to make us stay in a shared postpartum room, leaving several single rooms empty. After I made them admit that they were "saving" the rooms for C-section births, they immediately gave us a room. Is there some kind of law or health compliance they broke by "discriminating" our natural birth against C-sections by giving us a shared room? I understand that C-sections can be much more difficult on the mothers, but it just seemed unfair that they were saving those rooms for C-sections that may not happen (the rooms would just be empty for the night), so I was just curious.

They weren't "discriminating" against you, c-sections are major surgery and while natural childbirth is no picnic, it's not the same as recovering from surgery. You don't know that an emergency wouldn't have come in in the middle of the night, or if surgeries were booked the next day or what. In NYC space is so limited that if you want a private recovery room you have to pay out of pocket for it - at our hospital it's $500 and up per night.

In any case there's no point in worrying about it now, baby is born and healthy and you guys need to get the breast feeding situation sorted out.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

They said that with the illness (costo-something. It was mentioned I think a page back), there isn't any real known cause. Sometimes it's due to having an upper respiratory infection. I haven't been sick this year though (knock on wood), so I'm wondering if the lupus could be part of the reason. It causes inflammation in pretty much anything. Also, while it's not pregnancy-related, having this baby boy's butt constantly pressing against it makes it harder to heal.

The nurse said that it was safe to take muscle relaxants like flexoril occasionally, and just not to make it a habit. Which is really no issue for me. I have about four weeks left of this pregnancy and then I can start taking anti-inflammatories if I need to. I'm just going to rely on the massage techniques she taught my husband and will take sleep-aids if I need to.

Costochondritis is awful :( I'm glad you've gotten some relief.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Colton posted:

Tried all that. The wife has even fed him on the bus, at parks, in all rooms of the apartment... nothing works. If we let him sleep he wakes up 10 minutes later and eats, but my wife has better things to do than breastfeed for 2 hours. She already complains about having to spend most of the day topless

She has better things to do than feed her kid? Uh...ok. Maybe you want to talk to her about that.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Colton posted:

Breastfeeding isn't supposed to take 2+ hours, dude

Sounds like you guys need to speak to a lactation consultant or La Leche League because that doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility. Maybe you need to adjust your expectations.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Lullabee posted:

We had our anatomy scan today, and was the first time we got to see our little one! It's a healthy baby boy, though he was stubborn and refused to move his hands from his face, so the tech was unable to get a clear portrait for the doctor.

Quick question: does measuring ahead this early (20 weeks, 1 day) mean much later on? Or do they even out by the 3rd trimester? I'm not measuring too far ahead - just 3 days, so I'm not stressing it, was just wondering.

My baby has measured a few days ahead throughout the pregnancy but he's not huge or anything. They should have given you a percentile - my guy is in the 49th percentile, so right in the middle despite being a few days bigger than expected. And oh yeah, here he is :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Getting my flu shot at my 24 week dr visit, and tdap the visit after that. Having had a measly cold while pregnant has been bad enough, I can't imagine dealing with the flu right now.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Are they giving you the tdap there at your OB/GYN's? That's great. I had to call around to a bunch of places and eventually go to the County Health Dept. for mine. And then when I got there they asked if I had a prescription, which I didn't, so I had to wait till my OB/GYN's office opened and get them to fax it over... I guess since it's a newish thing to recommend for pregnant women, they're still working on streamlining the business.

My OB would offer it but our insurance wants it done at the hospital she's affiliated with, for some reason. Not a huge deal, it's only a couple of blocks from her office. My husband will get it at the same time since he works at the hospital :) also I am probably a crazy person but I'm askin my parents and SIL to get flu shots and tdap, as my parents will have to fly to get here to see baby and my SIL lives in manhattan and I'm basically assuming they'll be exposed because planes and manhattan are both cesspits of disease.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Papercut posted:

That's not crazy at all, our hospital told us everyone visiting the baby this winter has to get a flu shot and have an updated TDAP. Even if someone doesn't have symptoms, they could be carrying something that the baby's immune system can't handle.

Yeah, mainly I'm concerned about my mom since she'll be at the hospital with us.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

It's gonna be really fun when we explain it to my husband's parents though. They are hardcore antivaccine. As a result my husband wasn't vaccinated for ANYTHING until he started dating me when he was 24. His parents won't be coming to see the baby until they either provide me with written proof from a doc that they got the shot or the baby is old enough to be protected from his/her own shots (almost certainly the latter).

Since there seem to be a few people planning on going this route and requesting family members be vaccinated, has anyone dealt with something like this before? Thankfully my husband is fully on board so it's not something where we will be at odds about it but I'm anticipating his family not taking it well.

My parents are definitely not anti-vaccine, I think my mom thinks I'm being a little nuts about it but then they live in suburban TX, are never exposed to kids these days, and don't know how prevalent pertussis has become. Meanwhile my husband and I work in NYC and are around tons of people all the time who are just loving gross - coughing everywhere, then touching subway rails and doors and stuff. I was sick all the time when I first moved here and am just not willing to put a tiny baby through that. You gotta do what you gotta do to protect your kid, they can love it or leave it but you get to make the rules.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

To get back to something slightly more on topic: We had our NT scan yesterday and it looks like my subchorionic hematoma may have finally resolved! It's been there since at least 5 weeks (when it was HUGE compared to the gestational sac) and at one point the OB seemed pretty convinced it would cause me to miscarry so I'm pretty thrilled. Still a bit nervous about getting the results of the screening next week but I'm starting to think this pregnancy thing might actually work out for me this time.

And kind of a dumb question: My weight gain for the pregnancy should start from my pre-pregnancy weight, right? Not whatever I dropped to from the morning sickness?

Sounds like the same experience I had, bleeding from week 6, culminating in a huge bleed in week 9ish, SCH was totally undetectable on our 12 week u/s. Congrats :)

Try not to get too worked up over the screening results one way or the other, the AFP screen in particular (which you may not have til 16 weeks, it's a blood test) gives a huge number of false positives. Our NT measurement and first blood screen was perfect, and th AFP came back a bt wonky. We decided not to worry and pursue it because baby looks perfect on u/s, no soft markers for anything whatsoever, so doing an amnio seemed needless, especially given all the issues I had in the beginning.

Will be rooting for you and baby :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

Well, I'm 18 weeks now, and last night was the first night since this pregnancy started that I didn't wake up to go to the bathroom ONCE! I don't think I've ever felt this rested. Holy poo poo.

I think I've started feeling the baby move, but I'm not entirely sure. Little flutters I can barely notice when I lie down to go to sleep. It makes me feel weird when people ask me if I can feel the baby yet because I'm not sure if I can, or if I'm just super gassy. Surely it gets more distinguishable as time goes on?

It definitely becomes more distinguishable, and once I started feeling even little barely-there movements, I started to feel them more and more and they got stronger pretty quickly. After awhile there's really no mistaking the kicks and rolls for gas :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Greycious posted:

Went to the doctors yesterday and pregnancy test again came up positive! :aaa:
I can't believe this is happening already, but super excited about it too.

I don't think I've felt as giddy when he told me "Next time you visit we can see the baby's heartbeat" since I was a kid.

Somehow I'm six weeks along, even though it must have been conceived about 4-5 weeks ago? He just went by the last period I had. How accurate is that? I'm a little confused. I asked him so many other questions and things I didn't really linger on that.

I mentioned to him when he said he was going to prescribe prenatals that I really have a hard time taking giant sized pills. He just said nevermind then, and for me to get flintstones chewables and take two a day? I'm nervous about this being adequate....even though he's a doctor and I'm not. Has anyone else done this?

They use the first day of your last period to determine due date, so there's a two week period in which they consider you pregnant even though you're not really in order to capture all possible conception dates.. The crown-rump measurement gives you a real(ish) due date vs the arbitrary one based on your period. Also, the date you actually conceived can vary based on how long it took the egg to implant, etc :)

Congratulations!

Edit: beaten! I take the target gummy prenatals :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

FYI I think the gummy vitamins are missing iron, so if you end up anemic, you'll have to take a second supplement.

Yeah, no iron or calcium. I take tums to supplement the calcium (dr's rec) and took a regular prenatal with iron while I was bleeding but haven't needed it since.

My dr gave me a bunch of rx prenatal samples, there was one that wasn't a huge horse pill. Wish I could remember which one, it was a little blue capsule.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

I feel super lucky, I've barfed all of one time while pregnant, and that's because I gagged on a huge vitamin on a full stomach. I had a period of like a week where I'd get queasy if my stomach was even a little less than totally full, but it passed quickly. I had other issues though, so I guess it all balances out.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Greycious posted:

Hah! That's great...sure would be easy for me to do it that way since I already bite my own nails. :rolleyes:

Today has been a kind of miserable day today for me so far. Woke up at 7am for work, had a very small amount of brown spotting, got all kinds of freaked out because I already have anxiety issues. I've had some mild period-like cramps yesterday and this morning.
Luckily my boss sent me a message and told me some clients canceled appointments, so I got some more time to relax. Told her I was freaking out a bit because of spotting (She's only one of a couple people that know right now, mainly because I'm her only employee, and she has to know ASAP if I'm going to be gone at some point.)

She ended up telling me to just stay home since the day was already going to be so short. Just been tying to relax and put myself at ease.

Anyone have any relaxation advise for calming nerves when worried about baby stuff?
I found looking at pregnancy calendars relaxed me a bit, just to keep me focused on the science :science:

I am actually a little freaked out I have so few symptoms..especially worried since I feel a little less thirsty today than I have been lately. That is the only thing I've really been experiencing, very thirsty, peeing a bit more (obviously because I'm drinking so much) and some mild cramps here and there.

Bleeding in early pregnancy is insanely common, even bright red scary blood with cramping. Just try to take it easy, drink lots of water, and stay away from google. Try not to think about your "symptoms" or lack thereof because they vary from person to person and day by day. Literally the only sign I had that I was pregnant was that my breasts hurt and that I'd missed my period. No sickness, no hunger, no thirst, nothing.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Greycious posted:

Wow, that's pretty incredible. I've also always found it crazy/amazing some women have light 'periods' throughout their pregnancy too. Hopefully in a few months once I know what is normal for me/my pregnancy I'll be much more relaxed..

If it puts your mind at ease, I had terrible, awful, scary gushing bleeds and huge clots from weeks 6-10 and my dr was positive I would miscarry, and we all thought I had at one point, but here I am now at 6 months and kiddo is right on target. There's no way to tell what's going to happen and I put myself through absolute hell worrying and being depressed. If the bleeding continues or gets heavier it's not out of line to ask your dr about an ultrasound to see if the bleeding is caused by a subchorionic hematoma, which again is really common. Several posters here had them and had bad bleeding and it was a huge relief to me to find out how common it was and that they all had healthy, awesome babies.

Don't go crazy reading studies, nothing is ever certain and no study will cover all the particularities of your pregnancy. Ask me about inducing a really awful panic attack reading studies about fetal tricuspid valve leaks! And remember, at this stage, whatever is going to happen is going to happen, there's not a lot that can be done if things go badly. I know that's the worst thing in the world to hear, but it's true. I would have had a much easier time if I could have taken that to heart.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Our kiddo's room will be light green and blue with The Very Hungry Caterpillar bedding as a gift from my mom. I'm not going crazy with his room, but I do want him to have his own space.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Superdawg posted:

On the subject of names, what resources have you all used as a reference to find the names you wanted.

We have a couple names that we are considering for our second son, but my wife has been making all the suggestions up to now.

We just made a list of names we both liked and chose from that. We didn't look at books or anything.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

sheri posted:

I was wondering if that is what it was. I called my doctor before making the post and she didn't seem super concerned, told me to take some tylenol if I wanted to, drink a lot of water, and give her a call if it didn't get better within a couple hours. Well, of course the couple hours after that I didn't notice it nearly as much, but now I'm starting to notice it more again (I didn't take tylenol).

I didn't realize that could happen so early on (although google leads me to a lot of similar stories). Most people say it happens when they move quick or stand up or cough or exercise or what not. Mine sometimes happens if I'm just sitting not doing anything. I'm assuming it could still be that?

Edit: And is this something I should expect from here on out? :)

Yeah, sounds like ligaments. It just started a few weeks ago for me, I'll be 26 weeks this week. Mine tend to happen when I'm just laying or sitting around and nothing really helps :( mine get really bad, a stinging, achy sensation. Lame.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

We were considering Leon for our kid but went with Simon instead :)

I get hip pain a lot at night, used a regular body pillow at first and finally bought the Boppy body pillow a few weeks ago. The contour of the pillow really made a huge difference for me, comfort-wise. My hip still hurts but I just switch from side to side to keep from getting too sore. Sometimes keeping my top leg bent with my knee up toward my belly helps a little, but not much. And having a pillow under my belly is not at all comfortable :(

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Greycious posted:

I ended up breaking down and telling my mom. She's been really awesome and calm, level, and helping me along...Telling me she was super sick with her first too, which is reassuring. And most importantly keeping my secret from the rest of the family for now!

I was quite surprised at the prices on the Bella bands on amazon. I'll definitely try target first. Seems silly to spend a lot of money on what is just a stretchy loop of fabric.

Maternity stuff is expensive in general. I love my Bella band but it was a gift and I didn't have to pay for it. Kohls.com has some really good prices on jeans and leggings, Motherhood Maternity has sales with free shipping all the time, and I've had better luck shopping Liz Lange for Target online than in the stores. I love their long sleeved t shirts. For nicer stuff for work or formal events, A Pea In The Pod has really nice stuff but it isn't cheap in the slightest. Lots of stuff I want but I can't justify spending $150 on a dress I'll only be able to wear for a few months.

I'd put off shopping for maternity clothes but now I really need stuff; shopping sales I spent about $160 on a pair of jeans, a pair of leggings, a dress, maternity bra, sweater, and a pair of maternity compression tights.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

So I got a letter from my OBs office this morning saying that they'd like me to repeat a urine a sample and drop it at my GP at my earliest convenience. What could that all be about? It said the results of the test suggested it should be repeated, and I'm embarrassed to admit, I don't know what they test for in urine.
When I was last at the OB and gave the sample, I came home later and developed mild symptoms of a UTI but I just drank a bunch of water and the symptoms went away.. could it just be that?

I'm trying not to freak out over it because if it was serious, surely they'd call me instead of sending me a letter a week later, but.. come on, man! Anyway, I'll drop off another sample at the GP tomorrow morning (they only take them in the morning and I didn't get the mail until just now), but hopefully one of you is more informed than I.

They test for bacteria (UTI), protein (blood pressure) and sugar (gestational diabetes). Are you giving sterile samples that are sent off to a lab or do they just test it in the office? If it's the former, they may be concerned about a UTI and want to test again, if not then they may suspect blood pressure issues or GD.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Re NT scan/DS screening

1. We did the first trimester bloodwork + NT scan. My insurance didn't cover the bloodwork but the lab (NTD) only charged us $19 for the first trimester bloods and $40 for the second.

2. I wish I had not done the integrated screening, NT scan and 1st trimester bloodwork came back perfect, but combined with the 2nd trimester portion my doctor made us very concerned. My HCG was high and PAPP-A was low, which can be indicative of DS. My AFP was high, which is not typical of DS but the fact that I had bleeding earlier in the pregnancy could have caused a higher level than I may have had otherwise. So while the risk ratio from the lab came back very low due to the high AFP, our real risk was obscured by the high AFP because there is no way for the lab's algorithm to take first trimester bleeding into account. We declined amnio because we would not terminate for DS and after all the worry we had with my bleeding and being concerned about miscarriage we were not willing to take the risk. Baby is healthy and on target, size wise, doesn't have any soft markers for DS and a fetal echocardiogram came back normal aside from a trivial tricuspid valve leak, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that all is well but we'll love our son no matter what.

3. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have done the integrated screening. It's told us absolutely nothing useful and caused a ton of unnecessary anxiety. Amnio is definitely not for us, I think it would be easier for me to find out about a DS diagnosis with a healthy baby in my arms rather than spending half of my pregnancy worrying about it.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

My dr has consistently had difficulty using the Doppler on me because baby moves like crazy. She always finds him but it takes awhile. I knew trying to use one myself would only make me crazy.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Superdawg posted:

Ceridwen, our doctor was specific in what he said not to do during the week. Pretty much all the requirements minus actual bed rest. Said light walking was ok.

My wife was admitted to the hospital this morning for this issue for observation. They said they wanted to keep her for one or two nights (I hope one, this sucks being alone!). If things don't turn out well, then they are likely going to refer us to women and infants in providence (the closest hospital with a NICU) to have a consult and potentially deliver there if the situation deems necessary.

She didn't bleed all day until later on in the afternoon, which was only a little bit. I'm hoping that's just the spotting that you had mentioned, Ceridwen, and that we are still in good shape. She isn't experiencing any pain whatsoever, other than the drat annoying IV in her hand.

Hoping someone else has had a similar experience with a good outcome, just to kind of give a good vibe. All this talk about a NICU and delivery before 35 weeks is a bit concerning to me.

I don't have any advice for you as I'm only 27 weeks and don't have placenta previa, but I hope it all works out for you guys. Delivering early is scary and I know how worried you must be, all I can say is try to stay calm for her sake and be glad she's in the hospital, which is the best place to be if anything goes wrong.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

I'm lactose intolerant to begin with, so whatever with that, but I'm 24 weeks and this is the first time I've just been overrun with gassiness with no apparent cause. I, naively, thought I had escaped, since I only had morning sickness for about 5 weeks. Oh well. I have 2 boston terriers, so I can just blame it on one of them and it won't be questioned.

Also, this thread convinced me to get a maternity body pillow. Holy poo poo, how have I lived without one? It cuts down on the hip pain SO MUCH!

I had really painful gas issues from like 23-26 weeks, then it magically got better. Also I loving love my boppy maternity body pillow, best $50 I ever spent.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is a bit gross but has anyone ever had a problem with a really manky taste in their mouth during pregnancy? I feel like I'm constantly brushing my teeth but it feels like my mouth is filled with horrible sludge within an hour.

I had disgusting metal mouth for the entire first trimester. The only thing that (very slightly) helped was sour candies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I've been getting cravings for pineapple, which I thought was a citrus fruit to be honest but google says no.

Some of the only real cravings I've had were pineapple and oranges, and that was when I was ~12ish weeks along. Really though any fresh, juicy fruit would hit the spot. Now at 29 weeks it's berries, I can't get enough of them. And apple juice :)

Re metallic taste and vitamins, my prenatals didnt have iron in them (was taking the gummies, now I'm taking Flintstones with iron and calcium) and I still had metal mouth. It's a hormonal thing.