Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

IUG posted:

Yeah, my wife is 12 weeks right now. I had to watch the ultrasound over facetime while I sat in the parking lot. At least I could go into the waiting room that time, but it sucked that the first time I saw our first kid it's that way. Our next appointment will be a 3D ultrasound at a bigger hospital, and I can't even enter the building for that one.

Yeah, that sucked. It sucked even worse when they found some indications of Not Good and now there's more tests and risk and we're both freaking out and miserable. At least we have eachother and some close family that knows, so we have some folks to talk to but man I was not hoping for this to be the start of our summer.

I really hope it turns out okay.

I have against advice been trying to look for resources that can help us learn more about risks and options, because I'm betting the docs are gonna go "well life is a risk, what can you do, so rolling those dice or...?" cause they don't want to force a decision and I don't want to be in that room unprepared. So if anyone has a good tip for a solid resource to learn more about early trisomy risks and tests and such I would be much obliged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. I hope things work out well for you. Is your doctor able to refer you to a genetic counselor? In my experience, they are really skilled at actually talking about risks, potential outcomes, and the decisions surrounding testing and the pregnancy. Also, not sure where you are in your pregnancy, but is NIPT an option for you?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. We are in the early stages yet so we're probably going to be doing a battery of tests, but I'll make sure to ask for a consult with a genetic counselor which I'm sure the hospital has.

Standard practice today appears to be NIPT after initial screening, and our hospital does them, so we will definitely ask.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. I hope things work out well for you. Is your doctor able to refer you to a genetic counselor? In my experience, they are really skilled at actually talking about risks, potential outcomes, and the decisions surrounding testing and the pregnancy. Also, not sure where you are in your pregnancy, but is NIPT an option for you?

So we got an answer to the NIPT test and it's negative, no other indications of problems from the other tests. Just a scare.

Holy gently caress I thought I was a jaded calloused cynic shell of a lawyerman but the loving relief I felt today is undescribable. Now I just need to not panic again for six more months.

Thank you very much for the sympathy.