Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KirbyKhan posted:

The most important thing is to never stop banging out. You don't have to do calander magic or ovulation tracking if you don't want to, you just have to bang out every other day.

Wife and I tried seriously for 6 months. Doubt starts creeping in around month 4. Never lose hope, always be bangin

Counterpoint: get a thermometer and tracking app, have sex twice a month for 3 months, get pregnant. That's what worked for us. Do whatever works, but the key is avoiding feeling pressured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Congrats. The big thing that perked my wife up was slow-release iron.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Baby daybook is our app of choice. Persistent notification of any ongoing activity, synced notifications (she starts a sleep duration, and it shows up on my phone so I can stop it or know how long they've been asleep), and no awful interface (looking at you Glow).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Emily Spinach posted:

Yeah, sushi with fully cooked ingredients or from a reputable restaurant should probably be fine. My midwife noted women in Japan eat sushi all the time while pregnant and they're fine. I'd just avoid gas station sushi (general life advice tbh) or grocery store sushi with raw fish.

I also don't know what gas stations have sushi, but for some reason it comes to mind. I have seen train station sushi (which I would also avoid).

Add "vending machine sushi" to that list.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Another anecdote: my wife and I both caught COVID at week 8 or 9. Both symptomatic, both felt awful for 2 weeks. Guess what? We got JnJ the instant it was available, which was mid second trimester. Everything I've read says that the baby will get some antibodies, and it's completely worth getting jabbed. Side effects are mild in the vast vast majority of folks, and with the Delta variant spreading like wildfire, she really should get vaccinated. She's going to be in doctor's offices and the last thing you want is for her to get COVID.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Tamarillo posted:

Pretty much that, yes. Our pram got used for neighbourhood walks, and chucked in the car to be used when we went into town for shopping etc. If we lived in the central city it would make total sense to get a fancy rear end pram if that was the primary method of baby transportation.

We had a baby wearing thing too too but holy jesus strapping a warm baby to your warm chest and walking around on a hot day is a recipe for a sweaty mess. Not ideal.

Embrace the sweat. I wear ours on 2 hour hikes in a chest carrier. We're both soaked by the end, but he's asleep and I don't care.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Definitely virtual. We had one in May with 100% vaccinated people, but things weren't anywhere near at bad as now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Manwithastick posted:

Odd one for you, pregnancy thread:

We have an 8-year-old Bichon Frise dog which has suddenly become really clingy of my 36-week pregnant wife, keeps trying to jump onto her, sleep next to her etc - I will sound bonkers for asking this but is this because he's realised she is pregnant, overly protective or is he just being temperamental?

It's because she's pregnant. Animals can smell the hormonal changes. One of our cats did the same thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

My son was born on the 19th of this month and he's super cool...except he hasn't pooped in the last 24 hours and I'm not sure if that's normal. He seems to be completely normal otherwise; he's eating and wetting his diapers at a steady clip, he's not in any sort of discernible distress, and I even lived dangerously and checked his temperature rectally which was a perfect 98.6 F. He's at least darting, do I let him poop on his own time or can I massage him or something to help things along?

Especially if they're breastfed, they can go days without pooping. Ours went 3 days at week 3. So long as they're eating and peeing, they're fine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

+1 for getting some sort of feeding/diaper tracking app, very useful for my wife and I since we split baby-watching shifts overnight. My wife paid for Glow Baby which is fine I guess, she can't share her ad-free subscription with me so I get an ad pretty much every time I log something in it. There's a bunch of apps like this, just pick the one that annoys you the least. We bought the Hatch changing pad/scale that someone here recommended and I know that has a similar app associated with it.

Having been a parent for only a scant couple of weeks, this is the crux of it I think. It's less about a sudden shock to your system and more about being ground down by needing to do a little more each day on a little less sleep each day (but even then you can find time for naps).

At our baby shower, a friend of mine had the advice that there's lots of acceptable ways to raise a baby and only a few ways to really do it wrong. Have faith in yourself and in your partner!
We started with Glow and hated it. It's trying to be Facebook. Baby Daybook is great, and we switched on day 5. We've got over 3000 events logged in the past 8.5 months. We started by logging everything and have stopped everything except sleep, breastfeeding, pumping, medicine, vaccinations, and poopy diapers. One recommendation for later, develop a system to track poop consistency. It's pretty important to keep an eye on it when they switch to solid food. We use a 1-5 scale. 1 is diarrhea, 5 is acorns.

My mom always said that your job as a parent is to not screw the kid up. I've found that to be the case. Love them, do you best to address their needs and any issues, and they'll be fine. Parenting is really hard. You'll make mistakes, no one is perfect, and don't read too much advice because every baby is different. They'll tell you when they need something, it's up to you to figure out what it is.

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah Baby Day book was recommended in the Parenting thread and it (through our kid) ran our life for the first three months. Your brain will be fried, we really needed it.
Absolutely. "When did the baby wake up?" "when did they eat last?" "when was the last diaper?" "did they poop yesterday?"

You will literally not be able to remember.

Nessa posted:

No need to cram. But I do recommend finding an app to track sleep, feeds and diapers. We use Huckleberry. It can be immensely helpful to know exactly when baby last ate, when they last slept and how many diapers they’ve had. Especially when you’re in a sleep deprived state and are trying to parent with your partner. We can both set sleep timers and log diapers so the other parent knows what’s up by checking the app.

It also helped me answer questions about baby to the paediatrician because the app will let you see how much your kid is eating, sleeping and peeing/pooping per day. I don’t know if I’d remember otherwise.
It's invaluable so your partner can rest when they're not on duty.

Oh yeah, remember this: sleep when the baby sleeps if at all possible. You will need every second you can get. It gets easier over time, but try to nap whenever you can.

If you've got family helping out, try to stagger it. Everyone wants to help out at first, but we found that month 2 was really hard because our baby was still incredibly demanding but we had run out of precooked meals and everyone went back to work. A few calls and we had people lined up again, but it would have been better to stagger it at the get-go.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 6, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IceG posted:

It was an intense day but happy to report everything went well. Pretty crazy to have an actual extra human being in the family!

Congrats! Welcome baby IceG!

BadSamaritan posted:

A lot of people will say that parenting is hard. It is, but keep in mind that’s not because it’s complex (especially at the beginning). It’s hard because it’s always happening and you’re deeply invested in it.

Also, please remember that, aside from the very basics, parenting resources are also making this up as they go along. There are techniques that may (or may not!) improve your chances, but nobody actually knows the one secret trick to get your 4 month old to sleep through the night, or how to feed your baby so they love every vegetable as a 7 year old. So don’t go crazy with ‘research’- paying attention to your baby’s cues and being consistent will probably pay off more.

Oh God yes. Each individual step is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It's the "always on" nature that's difficult.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If your baby will take it cold, give it to them cold. Less work for you, and the baby will be fine. Ours never cared about temperature, thankfully. Bottles go from fridge to diaper bag to baby whenever he needs one, and it's a godsend.

My wife started out sanitizing everything, now it gets a wash/soak in Babyganics foaming dish and bottle soap, then onto a drying rack. IMHO, sanitizing is way overkill and a waste of time. If your little one is sensitive or has had issues in the past that make you think you need to be more careful, then have at it. We'll use a bottle for about half a day, then switch to a new one for the other half. If we remember and there's one clean. If not, rinse it out, refill and move on. Obviously, if it's actually dirty or it's been out in the sun that's a different matter. You've got to find a balance between perfectly sterile and filthy that works for you. Your kid is literally going to eat dirt and poop and whatever is on your floor, shoes, sidewalk, etc. 2 hour old milk residue isn't likely to hurt them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Big dad feelings

Join the club. Being a parent isn't easy, watching the person you love bear a tremendous change is hard, wanting to not be a lovely father is normal, feeling anxious is normal. Feel free to talk about here. If it feels overwhelming, maybe consider talking to a therapist. Mental health is physical health

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

nesbit37 posted:

Found out my wife is pregnant with our second child recently. She is only at 7 weeks at this point. We both seem much more chill about it this time around than we were for baby number 1. My only concern right now is her getting covid somehow and that messing with the baby.
Congrats.

My wife caught COVID in Dec '20 at her 8 week ultrasound. The kid's fine. Overall, I think there's very little evidence of COVID having much impact on the fetus so long as the fever isn't high.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got a baby shark too! 10 months. Congrats! Enjoy every second, it's gone in an instant.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, take like, 10x as many photos as you think you do

Take at least 2 minutes of video each day

In six months you end up with like 20 good photos and 3 or 4 min of good video. But it's worth it.

Sleep deprivation fucks with memory formation. Take the photo.

I think my wife is up to 3000 photos. I've got like 250, and a ton of video. Cloud storage is a wonderful thing with a kid.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Chernobyl Princess posted:

She may be as confused/blindsided as you are by her own reactions to stuff, so just talking frankly about it can be extremely helpful to you both!

This is a key point in any relationship, but boy howdy does it apply to pregnancy and parenting.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Doll House Ghost posted:

Here we don't do baby showers/registeries/assorted pre-baby gifts but have government supplied baby boxes and they are loving awesome.

Rub it in. Happiest country in the world, over there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

froglet posted:

Haha, good luck, but sounds like you've got a handle on things.

drat, the little bean didn't want to stick around. Oh well, maybe I'll see some of you around if there's a next time, goons! :wave:

Sorry to hear that. Next time!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's very good advice. Thank you!

poo poo, I'm so sorry.

Yeah, tell the nurses and doctors to leave you the gently caress alone unless they absolutely need to bother you.

The night our son was born, we had a loving IT moron come in at 0300 to change out a keyboard that the nurse had reported as non functional. I know they were just completing a ticket, but come the gently caress on. We hung a sign after that, and it cut down the visits by about 25%. For you folks, it should cut them down by 75%. Definitely get the monitors shut off or silenced, get a real bed or at least bedding, pillows, etc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

KillHour posted:

The questions we want the answers to are much more practical, though. She's 32 and terrified of being "too old" to have kids. I think she wants some reassurance that if we terminate, it's not going to be her giving up her last chance or whatever.

Just a point of reference: my wife was 38 when she got pregnant with our son, 39 when he was born. Uterine fibroid surgery 2 years prior. Caught COVID at 8 weeks. Kid is happy and healthy and so is she. They don't even call it a geriatric pregnancy until 35 around here these days.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Baby Penelope was born at 8 this morning. 1 pound 1 ounce, 11.5 inches long. She's in the NICU now and will be there for several months, since she was born at 25 weeks. Mom is doing well - all preeclampsia symptoms cease upon delivery thank goodness.

I'll keep baby Penelope in our thoughts. Congrats!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

boquiabierta posted:

Best of luck to you. I hope she is able to breastfeed if that's what she wants to do, and gets nothing but support if it doesn't work and she goes to formula. The only thing that matters is that the kid gets fed. That point gets so lost in the ridiculous "breast is best" dogma.

Which is some weirdly feminist and yet anti-woman crusade that nurses and some doctors are on. Fed baby is best baby.

It's like the in-rooming trend where there's huge pressure to not put the baby in the hospital nursery at all. This means that the new parents, especially after c-section, are getting basically zero sleep for the first 2-4 nights, then getting bounced home to get zero sleep. We had a great nurse the first night who was like "you guys need a few hours of sleep, let me bring your child to the empty nursery for the first sleep of the night". It made a huge difference because we both got a few hours of uninterrupted sleep and were more functional the next day for the dozen doctor visits and newborn bonding.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Emily Spinach posted:

We didn't use the nursery with our first but there was a padded bench for my husband to sleep on that seemed OK, and we made sure to bring pillows for him, so we were able to alternate sleeping somewhat. We'll see how it goes with #2 though.

I had a fold-out chair/bed thing. I'm 6'2", 230#. After night #2, I was just about done with that thing. Better than a chair, for sure, but still super uncomfortable.

boquiabierta posted:

IT'S TOTALLY LIKE THE ROOMING-IN TREND.

I was a postpartum nurse for a few years in a "baby friendly" (I hate that term sooooo much) hospital. We had a nursery, but were supposed to discourage its use at all costs and strongly promote rooming in. The rationale given was "they won't have a nursery at home, they need to get used to it" which is true but couldn't you also say because they won't have a nursery at home, they should get to take advantage of the opportunity while they have it?!
Seriously. The cynical part of me means the hospitals are pushing it because they can cut night time staffing and use the nursery for other stuff once it "isn't getting used, no idea why"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Somaen posted:

Seconding the appreciation chat from earlier regarding the advice and experience posted here, the conflicting info from health professionals is frustrating

The only vaguely sciencey sounding thing that stuck with me is that supposedly the baby gets its immune system trained/boosted by breast milk. I don't have a medical background and can't tell if this is true. Is there anything we should keep in mind or do if the mom wants to go full formula after birth to make the baby's immune system keep up? Do we need to take it outside and roll it around in the dirt for a bit?

Fed baby is best baby. Breast or formula are both fine. A mix is fine. Wherever makes the baby sleep, grow, pee and poop...

Their immune system will get plenty of exercise, especially if they're going to daycare or spend time with other kids. Outside time is great for a thousand reasons but I don't think there's any specific thing to do that'll make the baby immune to stuff other than exposure. Varied foods, exposure to pets, people, and the great outdoors are supposed to help. Don't disinfect everything in your house, I guess?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Emily Spinach posted:

Yeah, imo the real benefit to breastfeeding, if it's going smoothly and you're the birthing parent, is if you're out and about, baby gets hungry, and you're comfortable with it, you can whip out a boob. That's a lot of caveats though, and it's not like you can't just carry formula and water in a bottle.

The other biggie for my wife was at night. Baby wakes up, mom rolls over and snags them from the bassinet and pops the boob in. No getting up and warming formula or anything. It's also very handy to have the food source travel with you. Just a burp cloth and a cover-up, and baby is happy while you're out and about.

Somaen posted:

Thank you everyone, happy to learn all this! We're kind of pioneers among our peers in getting our tiny clone so a lot of the wisdom from the surroundings we get is, uh, questionable ("if you don't do X your kid will have autism") and that includes medics ("but formula isn't natural").

*Scribbles down* daycare, dogs, dirt..

advice is like assholes

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Necronomicon posted:

My wife and I just had our first a few days ago. We had planned on using a birthing center but at 37 weeks and 3 days, she registered a high blood pressure two days in a row. That immediately DQ’d us from using the birth center and we had to go up to the hospital to get induced. We get there, and within an hour or two they tell us that they can’t handle the high BP situation, so we get transferred again down to the bigger hospital in Springfield, MA. Since she was on magnesium for high BP, the pitocin they were giving her didn’t really take and she never dilated past 3cm even with her water being manually broken. We had to go with a c-section. We got transferred to a new room in the “high risk” area, then the next day transferred *again* to another room, and we’re just waiting for my wife’s BP to come down so we can finally go home. It’s been kind of a nightmare with a giant parade of people coming in and out of the room preventing us from getting any sleep, and that situation is keeping my wife’s BP high in and of itself. I can’t wait to get the hell out of here - it’s been almost five days now.
Congrats, and sorry it's been such a faff.

You can tell them to not disturb you except for required medications. We had a loving IT tech wake us up at 0400 to replace a keyboard our first night at Brigham.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Stick with the therapy and keep slowly chipping away at it. It's tough, but with the right help and enough time, you'll get there. Understanding that you have a problem and being able to recognize it is a huge step, one that many people don't ever achieve. My mom died when my son was 9 months old, and it took a year to really come to grips with that and the damage that my father did when I was growing up. I'm working through it, though. One day at a time, one day at a time.

\/\/ It gets easier, eventually. The problems will be different, but they aren't so drastic if you're lucky. Until they get a lot older, then the problems can be pretty crazy, or so I hear. Family (if they're actually loving useful and listen and do the things that you need them to do) can be great. (or not)

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 28, 2023

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

TheKevman posted:

Hey thank you both very much for the advice, it at least gives perspective and can help us get the ball rolling.

It's a tragedy because her previous owner was amazing and she sold to a religious fundamental group based out of Texas (core values are faith, hope, compassion- so of course they lack all 3) and the moment that she divulged her pregnancy they began stripping her of her responsibilities. She's certain they're out to get her, so she's terrified of making herself more of a target than she already is.

The CEO, during a recent trip out, said to her "So some people are saying you're not planning on returning after your pregnancy. Where are you on that and do you plan on returning?" She immediately wrote this conversation down after the fact and emailed it to herself because of how uncomfortable it made her feel.

Additionally, in a different meeting with one of her best friends at work (whom they don't know she's best friends with cause they keep it on the down low) he explicitly asked the coworker if she "thought (my wife) would come back after her pregnancy" which, I'm not a lawyer, but I was under the impression that pregnancy is a protected class/not supposed to be talking about it with other employees? In her letter to her supervisor notifying them she explicitly asked for discretion as she didn't want others at work knowing.

Anywho, trying to be proactive and ahead of the curve, she put her note for leave in effective 6/15 last week, and with state law she should be getting 16 weeks of total PFL but they (not being familiar with state law) said she only gets 12 and they'd have to "look in" to her claim because "that's not what FMLA says." They just bought this company in Washington and I'm fairly certain they don't even know what Washington PFL is or that it exists.

Long story short it's a poo poo show and she's terrified to ask for disability because she already feels like she is being pushed out. Add in the fact that her back is really starting to bug her and it's just a mess. I feel so powerless to help but will do all I can :ohdear:
That really sucks. I would schedule a call with a good employment lawyer, just to get the ball rolling in regards to what to document. If the religious fuckers are going to be assholes, you can say least take their money in court.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Silent Linguist posted:

I’ve been wondering lately, what’s the general consensus these days on locking up things like medicine and alcohol after the toddler phase? When I was a kid I had full access to that stuff, I just had no interest in it. Would my parents be considered negligent nowadays, or is it on a kid-by-kid basis?

Edit: Whoops meant to post this in the parenting thread :doh:

They should be locked up. If your toddler decides to copy you (assuming you take regular meds and vitamins and stuff) and take a bunch of pills, it could be disastrous. Alcohol tastes pretty awful to little ones, but you never know what they're going to do.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Silent Linguist posted:

Sorry I was talking about after toddlerhood—once the kid is old enough to know the rules. Obviously I don’t let my toddler access that stuff.

I’ll try to rephrase: my parents demonstrated trust in me by leaving their alcohol accessible (rightly so, I was a goody two-shoes and so were all my friends). Just wondering if this would universally be considered a bad idea nowadays.

Got it. It's an intensely personal decision. My parents left their alcohol unlocked and I never screwed around with it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Congrats! Welcome to the no sleep but totally worth it club!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
HR is there to protect the company, not you. If your desires line up with the company's, then they'll be helpful. If not, they'll always protect the company.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mad Wack posted:

other states have laws like this too - MA has paid family medical leave for everyone universally

And it's wonderful.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

TheKevman posted:

Thanks!

:dance:

The emotions of yesterday were unreal. I just want to write this as a support or encouragement post to anyone who has had a miscarriage or multiple miscarriages.

We suffered 2 over the course of last year and 3rd time was clearly the charm. It was the toughest year of our lives, but we're here and mom and baby are happy, healthy, and amazing.

Just because you have had one or more miscarriages DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE BROKEN. Everyone works differently. My wife and I are so happy right now and all the pain and anguish were worth the end result. We send all of our love to all of you, and we believe in each and everyone of you!!

Amen, amen. And congrats! A new soul to brighten the world.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

All good questions lol--to the extent that I feel comfortable trying to predict what this future will look like:

- City (somerville, basically boston), which we are hoping to stay in, but we are still house shopping and this market is not good to say the least. That said our goal is to stay close to my wife's work in the city public schools, so for all intents and purposes we are planning to be city parents. I think I am in the post-running phase of my life thanks to my knees but I do hope to walk quite a bit. I bike too, but whenever I see someone riding around in traffic with their little kids strapped into their bikes i instinctively get nervous–even before I became a dad-to-be, much more so now (not shaming anyone for doing it mind you, i just don’t know if i’m bold enough to do it myself). I’m not gonna be riding around with an infant at least anyway, so I can probably leave that off the registry.

- We’re not particularly travel-oriented by nature, so we’re expecting our lives to be quite small for the early phases at least. My mom is hoping to move closer too, so hopefully she’ll be near by.

- wing it/order: it’s funny, I used to be a real wing it kinda guy, but the more pregnant my wife gets, the more I find I need to structure my time to stay on top of poo poo (one could argue that actually, I always needed to do this and just haven’t been until now), so I’m becoming a real schedule person and imagine that i’m going to be moreso once the baby’s born.

- I get 3 months of paternity leave (thank you Massachusetts) and am intending to use all of it. The plan after that is for me to go back to work and for my wife to take an unpaid year off, which her job securely offers (thank you unions), so we are hoping to punt the daycare bills down the road for a little while. And obv she’ll be on paid maternity alongside me too.

I’ll also add, if it matters, that I am 39 years old so maybe I should toss some speed or heart medication on there or something. I am a little concerned about what years of sleep deprivation will do to me at my age, considering how even my childfree rear end feels now if i get less than 6 hours but the brightside seems to be that I apparently will not remember it, based on what the folks in the parenting thread have been saying, so that’ll be nice

Hello, you sound a lot like us! I was 38, my wife was 39. Our son is Boston born, Cape Cod resident.

You forgot to mention that you get 3 months of PAID paternity leave. PFMLA is wonderful and you should absolutely take advantage of it. Maybe think about splitting up your leave, that's what I did. I took 4 weeks off immediately, then went back to work for a while, then took 4 months at 50%.

Definitely take advantage of family to help out, it makes a huge difference.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

update on my post (which i'll be honest i only half remember making lol babies)--the issue was one of production, he was screaming because he was hungry and not getting enough to eat. Forever grateful to the angel/nurse who quickly figured that out and suggested we supplement with formula, everything's been fine since on that front. that was a very, very long night

fed baby == happy baby!
Glad it worked out, those first nights are truly insane because of so many reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What are some suggestions for a good 1st mother's day present?

A day off.