Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Robbie Coltrane looking at some steam loco's still in use in Zimbabwe (at least they were at the time of filming)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AdSCihFXgM

Check out the running repair at about 9:20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

echoplex posted:

It never really left us, although sadly a huge amount of our grand old stations were refurbed in our era of architectural malaise - Birmingham New Street is just one of the stations that was ruined. But the met line - where that train from the lorry was on - still has all it's glorious art deco (and nouveau on occasion) stations and fittings. When it was built it was all about social mobility (not even really a pun there) and it was very aspirational, and I love it. My local station is being decomissioned in a few years and I'd love to buy it... can't see that happening though.

Most of the buildings are different, in varying levels of grandness:

Other lines on the London Underground are much more get the gently caress in/get the gently caress out, which makes their stations less interesting.

One of those railway rarities where the infrastructure is more interesting than the trains themselves I guess.

This used to be my local station when I lived in London:

Look at that, a flying saucer in the middle of suburbia. Charles Holden :allears:

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

No Pun Intended posted:

Aren't the wagons meant to be sentient :ohdear:

Thats ok, they are just Untermenschen

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

BalloonFish posted:

Unsurprisingly the story series for kids about sentient talking trains written by a vicar gets weird when you start trying to apply logic to it.

That said... there's one of the later books where a traumatised Percy learns about how The Other Railway (BR) is replacing steam locos with diesels and electrics and how the steam engines are being cut up for scrap (with a suitably graphic illustration of a steam engine - with a face and everything - being advanced on by a workman with an oxycetalene torch. It always spooked me out as a kid).

So within the logic of the books it's the humans - the Controllers - who are deliberately massacring the steam locos in favour of other types on the grounds of efficiency. I'm sure there's a political thesis or two in picking the bones out of that!

Sodor's other GWR engine, Oliver, literally escaped BR - being chased and hunted by diesels as he hid in sidings while moving by night courtesy of sympathetic signalmen - and fled to Sodor with a GWR Autocoach and a Toad-type brake van. So it pretty literally is a reservation or sanctuary. The preserved steam railways in England are treated in a similar fashion.

True. I actually looked up the story rather than relying on a 25-year old memory (it's remarkable how strongly I remember them...but I read the books a lot as a kid) and you're right. Diesel's as big a jerk as anyone.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Scrapped_Engines for the picture. There is an engine in the background with a black hole for a face.