Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

ijustam posted:

Amtrak locomotive 156, a P42 locomotive with an adaptation of the first Amtrak paint scheme from 1972, has been released from our Beech Grove, Ind., facility. It will lead Train 30, the Capitol Limited, leaving this evening from Chicago en route to Washington. Coincidentally, tonight’s Train 30 will also include Amtrak business car 10001, the “Beech Grove.”

If I'm lucky, I'll see the Capitol Limited during my workday tomorrow, I'll try to grab a pic if I see it. I work right next to the tracks outside of DC that the Limited uses.

Edit: Checked Amtrak, arrival is 1:10PM, should be able to catch it around noon, as long as it isn't late. (It'll be late).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.
Saw something interesting on a parked CSX train last week. On the edge of the railyard, grouped with several other parked trains was a single loco coupled to some hopper cars. On each hopper, there were 4 solar panels. 2 were on top, parallel to the tracks, facing the sky at a 45 degree angle, and 2 on each side of the car, at each end, facing outward. Every hopper seemed to be identical(all had CSX markings, same color and size), and every visible car had a set of panels. I couldn't see the entire length of the train, but it was fairly long, definitely not just several cars. Any idea what the solar panels are for? Perhaps with enough panels, they can provide enough power to reduce fuel consumption by a few percent? That doesn't seem likely, the panels weren't very large. Wish I'd gotten a picture.

heyou fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 6, 2014

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

NoWake posted:

Those are automatic ballast unloaders, they get pulled down the track at about 5mph and will unload ballast at specific points along the track based on GPS coordinates scouted out beforehand. Good for when you have a mile or so where you're trying to refresh the ballast.

e: Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SKJcRk8zw&t=38s

That's exactly what I saw. Neat!

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

Log082 posted:

I think the Maryland/DC Marc commuter trains used to have flag stops on the Brunswick line, and maybe still do.

I grew up along that line and can confirm they still do. Washington Grove, Boyds, and Dickerson are the ones I know for sure. Most (but not all) trains do not stop at those three stations, unless someone is waiting on platform